Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Finish CD?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Finish CD?  (Read 85068 times)
Fretzo
Headliner

Ground control to Major Tom

« on: January 10, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »

RollingStone's rock daily section is reporting a story from antimusic.com about Geffen having CD.? We may have started this rumor.

(antiMusic) The latest rumor swirling around Guns N' Roses is that the long over-due "Chinese Democracy" is complete and with the label but a new battle has emerged that is causing further delay.
We don't know how much stock to put into third or fourth generation rumors, but the word on the street is that Axl has turned in the CD to Geffen at long last but no release date is in sight because Axl and the label can not agree on the marketing of the album.

Are we closer to Chinese Democracy? We have no idea but we are hopeful. We have yet to hear back with the official denials or "no comment" from the GNR or Geffen camp but we'll keep you posted on what we hear officially or hearsay. Again this is all but rumor at this point , besides rumors are more fun than official news anyway.

Original Source
http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/jan/10GNR_Finish_CD.shtml

Same Story
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

I think it is true but we will have to wait and see. So what if we started the rumor? Someone needs to push something in one direction or the other. Besides, maybe one of the camps will confirm the information so we finally know that it is true. I hope they confirm instead of saying No Comment. It would at least be nice to know it's there and marketing is the only deal now. If you hear any confirmation or reply at all, please post.
Thanks.

Puking doesn't make me horny.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »

who knows about the label actually having the album but there is def some truth about the whole promotion/marketing situation.

Bach has mentioned in a few of his radio interviews that Axl is trying to figure out the best possible way to release CD in this new era of music. I made a thread some time ago about this and was interested to see some ideas on how you think the band should release and promote the album in this new musical landscape.  I think it got moved(shocker Grin)

If this is the only major hurdle thats left in this saga then I think we have a legit shot fo getting the album out sometime this year. I am sure Axl and the label can come up with something in the next few months.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:38:13 PM »

my parents didn't have sexual organs....they had rope.

it's interesting that Rolling Stone is reporting on these rumors. the poor journalism is a given but I would think that they heard something more than a rumor from an unofficial fansite (no offense).
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »

I have to be blunt here..........what is so hard about marketing this release?

The myth surrounding it alone will cause great awareness.

Give a firm date 3 months or so in advance.

Play some serious live shows on television (Late Night/Awards Shows) and schedule a major world tour.

Make some ads, go on the radio, do some interviews, update the GNR website and make it have a shitload of stuff on it.

Perhaps a making of Chinese Democracy special on VH1.

Put it on iTunes with a bonus track.

Poster the fuck out of cities and put a giant billboard up in NYC and LA with the album date.

Really, I don't know what more there is to do to possibly market an album other than Axl going to every persons house and knocking on their door saying, "Buy this fucking album or I'll kick your teeth in".

To add......why not do a soundtrack release for a song, much like "You Could Be Mine".......that caused great awareness before UYI came out.  By the time it was released on UYI2....I probably heard the song 9000 times, destroying the cassette single.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

Bach has mentioned in a few of his radio interviews that Axl is trying to figure out the best possible way to release CD in this new era of music. I

Should release it on 8 track, and have a factory producing 8 track players to go with it..... rofl No feeker would see that coming would they.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »

Play some serious live shows on television (Late Night/Awards Shows) and schedule a major world tour.

Make some ads, go on the radio, do some interviews, update the GNR website and make it have a shitload of stuff on it.

Poster the fuck out of cities and put a giant billboard up in NYC and LA with the album date.

Really, I don't know what more there is to do to possibly market an album other than Axl going to every persons house and knocking on their door saying, "Buy this fucking album or I'll kick your teeth in".

To add......why not do a soundtrack release for a song, much like "You Could Be Mine".......that caused great awareness before UYI came out.  By the time it was released on UYI2....I probably heard the song 9000 times, destroying the cassette single.

what is so hard about marketing this release?

Because what you proposed makes too much sense

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »

I have to be blunt here..........what is so hard about marketing this release?

Maybe Axl wanted to release a song along with a movie like Angels and Demons, but the writers strike is preventing anything from happening.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »

I think its all about the budget.  And for all we know, if these sides can't agree then CD could be shelved for a long time to come. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 02:18:10 PM »

Assuming the above mentioned is true, the next issue is: Who pays for it all?

If you've worked hard on something, you don't want some half-assed promotion.

If you're a record company in 2008, you want to make money without spending any.

Why do you think they love to release "Best Of" albums after "Best Of" album?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DemocracyRose
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »

To add......why not do a soundtrack release for a song, much like "You Could Be Mine".......that caused great awareness before UYI came out.? By the time it was released on UYI2....I probably heard the song 9000 times, destroying the cassette single.

If you're a record company in 2008, you want to make money without spending any.

/jarmo

Yeah, i think it would have been a lot easier with that "plan" 6-10 years ago.

Nowadays the recordcompanies are in troubles with low record sales and the internet.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »

1. GNR will never play Late Nights or Award Shows ever again. Possibly a big award show, but I doubt it.
2. From my knowledge, the relationship between Axl and VH1 is estranged. Mostly due to that inaccurate, slanderous filth they called "Behind the Music", so I doubt there will be anything on VH1 (atleast accurate).

I think that the buzz will be incredible for hardcore music fans and industry professionals, however that's not who they promote for. They promote for the people on the fence or the people that have no interest and/or knowledge in the album or Guns N' Roses. The trick is doing that and making a sale. Obviously you want to maximize profits and minimize costs and any holdup is likely do to debate over such issues.

Sometimes it's not simply 'oh, hire this director for the music video and get it done' or 'release the album because people really want it'. People have schedules and as much as people want to change them, it's often very difficult getting things done. Look at the Hollywood movie system. Incredibly complex, lots of red-tape.

It's not just a matter of economics which I'm sure is part of it. It's doing things to a certain standard and not blowing your load early.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »

/jarmo

I think Axl and the boys have to be willing to pay for a lot of it.  I think the record company has probably invested enough over the last 15yrs.  Pony up boys and get the f*ckin cd out.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »

RollingStone's rock daily section is reporting a story from antimusic.com about Geffen having CD.? We may have started this rumor.

Or poor Richard did, inadvertently!

God, I really hope it is true though and they get whatever it is that is holding it up worked out soon!
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »

Well at least hopefully the record company will either confirm or deny now. ?Probably not, but hopefully.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »

I think Axl and the boys have to be willing to pay for a lot of it.? I think the record company has probably invested enough over the last 15yrs.? Pony up boys and get the f*ckin cd out.

Well maybe not "and the boys" . . . . . . 
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »

I keep seeing this rumor over and over again!  Can it please be true this time, because if it is not only was Buckethead right when he said the album wouldn't be out until 2008, but maybe the trilogy thing Bach was talking about will actually be true!??!?!
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »

I'm sure the 'trilogy' thing is true in some regard. Multiple times Axl's talked about albums going between 1 and 2 and alluded to such a system, while mentioned it more directly in others.

Regardless, the Bucket thing is complete rumor if I believe. Or did he say that on the record? Anyway, it's 2008 now. No point of looking back.

P.S.: Also at http://idolator.com/343248/chinese-democracy-is-it-all-over-but-the-marketing-plan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:10:52 PM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »

who knows if it is true. i highly doubt any band would turn over a completed cd to their record company without having all the money issues resolved before hand. geffen has spent a lot of money already, but they must also spend to promote it. so, it makes sense this may be a sticking point.
robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »

Yes it's taken from the letter. But the point is, from 2006, the record company was unwilling to negotiate about marketing, promotion, video, etc. until the album was handed in. RobertJohn was saying that they wouldn't turn the album in unless the promo/etc. was finished. That is proved false by the letter from Merck.

So yes, they are negotiating, etc. now, but not before. Hey, for all we know, it could be finished. But from Merck's letter the general template is clear: release a single, promotion/go on tour, release the album.

well, i still dont think we know. just because the record company said they wont do promotion before the cd was handed in, that doesnt mean that the band will bend over and say "ok" and hand it in. that was geffens' position. that was not guns n roses' position. maybe one side changed their stance since then or maybe not. we do not know that...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: