Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 06:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228473 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Use Your Illusion I (First Half vs Second Half)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use Your Illusion I (First Half vs Second Half)  (Read 9430 times)
BenDrinking49
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: December 28, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »

Ok, so I was listening to Use Your Illusion I the other day and I couldn?t believe what an awesome record it was. But as I was listening to it, I noticed that the second half of the record was infinitely better then the first half of the record.

If you take a look at UYI I?s track listing, you will know what I mean.

1st Half:

1. Right Next Door to Hell ? Horrible song, and bad way to start a record
2. Dust N Bones ? Great Izzy song, one of the best of the 1st half
3. Live Let Die ? The is a cover so I consider it filler, not a great cover at that
4. Don?t Cry (Original Lyric?s) ? a GNR classic, but I prefer the UYI II version better
5. Perfect Crime ? Horrible song
6. You Ain?t the First ? Ok song, but still filler
7. Bad Obsession ? Great song, this one along with Dust N Bones are the only two great songs of the 1st half of UYI I.
8. Back Off Bitch ? Bad song, to me this is a gimmick song, (muck like ?Get in the Ring? on UYI II) Total filler and a track that I skip most of the time.

9. Double Talking Jive ? Good song, I like the way it goes all acoustic at the end
10. November Rain ? Kind of played out, but still a GNR classic
11. The Garden ? Great Song!
12. Garden of Eden ? Great Song (Love the video)
13. Don?t Damn Me ? This is one of my personal favorites ? Great song
14. Bad Apples ? Another killer song ? I love this track
15. Dead Horse ? Another of my personal favorites ? This is a rocken? track
16. Coma ? This is one of the best GNR songs EVER and it?s also one of the most under rated. I love the guitar parts and the lyrics are some of the best Axl has ever written

So, as you can see, I think the 2nd half is way better then the first. I really don't understand the track listing for this record. Shouldn?t the great songs come at the beginning of the record, and all the filler songs come at the end? To me, this record is all upside down.

I know everyone has there one opinion, and this is just mine, but I?d like to see if anyone else agrees with me. (You can disagree too, that's ok)

Ben
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:00:32 PM by BenDrinking49 » Logged
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »

So, as you can see, I think the 1st half is way better then the second.

i think you meant to say the reverse of that.

but anyways, personally, i love some of the songs you that said were horrible

i thought Right Next Door to Hell was a great way to open up, and i absolutely LOVE Perfect Crime, and the others as well.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:56:19 PM »

I enjoy most of the songs on UYI 1.   Only one I usually skip over is Bad Apples
BenDrinking49
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »

i thought Right Next Door to Hell was a great way to open up, and i absolutely LOVE Perfect Crime, and the others as well.

Thanks for catching that. I obviously mean that the Second half is better that the First. (I just changed the wording in my original post). I just don't think that songs like "Right Next Door to Hell" and "Back off Bitch" can be compared to songs like? "Coma", "Don't Damn Me" and "Dead Horse" (The latter being better than the former, of course).
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:09:24 PM »

Thanks for catching that. I obviously mean that the Second half is better that the First. (I just changed the wording in my original post). I just don't think that songs like "Right Next Door to Hell" and "Back off Bitch" can be compared to songs like  "Coma", "Don't Damn Me" and "Dead Horse" (The latter being better than the former, of course).

haha, i wanted to let you know before people started being douches like they usually are and start to be like "oh no! oh no! i dont know about this!! now youre starting to contradict yourself! wheres the info to back this up??"

but anyways, personally, i love all of UYI1. i know alot of people say that UYI2 is better, but for me, as an album I personally like 1 better - though 2 does have some of my absolute favorite tracks.
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:10:05 PM »

Thanks for catching that. I obviously mean that the Second half is better that the First. (I just changed the wording in my original post). I just don't think that songs like "Right Next Door to Hell" and "Back off Bitch" can be compared to songs like  "Coma", "Don't Damn Me" and "Dead Horse" (The latter being better than the former, of course).

well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but why make a thread about something that is completely subjective?

The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

the UYI records aren't my favorite. i feel a lot of songs are filler crap. most don't stand out IMO. Some are great and some are mediocre at best.

u can definately feel that there is a total distance between some songs.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:24:19 PM »

RNDTH and Perfect Crime  are great songs, Way better than The Garden which Ive never been a huge fan of and I prefer them over Bad Apples as well.

I also though, like the UYI II Dont Cry better.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:55 PM »

It took me a while to truely appreciate RNDTH.. Great lyrics..
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »

Ok, so I was listening to Use Your Illusion I the other day and I couldn?t believe what an awesome record it was. But as I was listening to it, I noticed that the second half of the record was infinitely better then the first half of the record.

If you take a look at UYI I?s track listing, you will know what I mean.

1st Half:

1. Right Next Door to Hell ? Horrible song, and bad way to start a record
2. Dust N Bones ? Great Izzy song, one of the best of the 1st half
3. Live Let Die ? The is a cover so I consider it filler, not a great cover at that
4. Don?t Cry (Original Lyric?s) ? a GNR classic, but I prefer the UYI II version better
5. Perfect Crime ? Horrible song
6. You Ain?t the First ? Ok song, but still filler
7. Bad Obsession ? Great song, this one along with Dust N Bones are the only two great songs of the 1st half of UYI I.
8. Back Off Bitch ? Bad song, to me this is a gimmick song, (muck like ?Get in the Ring? on UYI II) Total filler and a track that I skip most of the time.

9. Double Talking Jive ? Good song, I like the way it goes all acoustic at the end
10. November Rain ? Kind of played out, but still a GNR classic
11. The Garden ? Great Song!
12. Garden of Eden ? Great Song (Love the video)
13. Don?t Damn Me ? This is one of my personal favorites ? Great song
14. Bad Apples ? Another killer song ? I love this track
15. Dead Horse ? Another of my personal favorites ? This is a rocken? track
16. Coma ? This is one of the best GNR songs EVER and it?s also one of the most under rated. I love the guitar parts and the lyrics are some of the best Axl has ever written

So, as you can see, I think the 2nd half is way better then the first. I really don't understand the track listing for this record. Shouldn?t the great songs come at the beginning of the record, and all the filler songs come at the end? To me, this record is all upside down.

I know everyone has there one opinion, and this is just mine, but I?d like to see if anyone else agrees with me. (You can disagree too, that's ok)

Ben

This all about opinions... while you say right next door to hell is a bad song I say it?s awesome... the same going to Don?t Cry, LALT and Back of Bitch (which for me has one of the best intros ever). You say Dust N Bones and Bad Obsession are great whereas I can?t stand them lol. Neverthless I agree with you on Perfect Crime... it?s really bad indeed.  hihi
As for the second half... I agree with you... overall it?s? better than the first... I love them all... especially Don?t Damn Me and Coma.? Wink
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 09:02:10 PM by Ines » Logged

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »

RNDTH and Perfect Crime? are great songs, Way better than The Garden which Ive never been a huge fan of and I prefer them over Bad Apples as well.

I also though, like the UYI II Dont Cry better.

I like most of the lyrics from UYI1 for Don't cry, however my favorite lyrics from both versions is on the 2 version when Axl sings "So many seem so lonely with no one left to cry to". Makes it worth having two versions to me.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »

Thanks guys for sticking up or 'Right Next Door to Hell' and 'Perfect Crime'. ?Smiley

However, I do agree that 'My World' was a poor song and overall UYI II was overall a better album, but it isn't supposed to be judged separately. It's Use Your Illusion!
EstrangedBrazil
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:27 PM »

I dont see how you think its an awesome album with so many crappy songs in it!!!  rofl just kidding, dude

anyway, i agree with you that the 2nd half is generally better than the 1st, but to me (remember, ME hehehe) there's not a single song in it that i do not like... i like some better than others, but i swear i like 'em all!

I think Perfect Crime its such a kick ass song that i even kinda fail to see how one would not like it, but its always how it is... its hard to understand how people won't like something you like so much!! hihi
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »

UYI seemed to be a much, much hard rocking album than UYII.  Don't Damn Me is fucking heavy along with Coma. 

D, The Garden is an aquired taste, but Slash's solo rips on it and you hardly even notice the first 1,000 times you listen to it. 

I used to not like Garden of Eden, now I do. 

I like both albums fillers and all.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »

UYI seemed to be a much, much hard rocking album than UYII.? Don't Damn Me is fucking heavy along with Coma.?

D, The Garden is an aquired taste, but Slash's solo rips on it and you hardly even notice the first 1,000 times you listen to it.?

I used to not like Garden of Eden, now I do.?

I couldn't agree more with u about Garden Of Eden

I hated that song for like 11 years and one day I was in a pissed mood. Heard it and it floored me. Now I love it.

The Garden starts off so awesome but I don't know......... I dont dislike it, but I usually skip it.

My ultimate UYI album if i had to choose 16 songs would be:

From UYI 1

1. Live and Let Die
2. Don't Cry
3. Bad Obsession
4. November Rain
5. Don't Damn Me
6. Dead Horse
7. Coma

UYI II

8.Civil War
9. 14 Years
10. Yesterdays
11. Knockin On Heaven's Door
12. Breakdown
13. Pretty Tied Up
14. Locomotive
15. Estranged
16. You Could Be Mine

To Me that would've been the definitive Use You Illusion

If anything had to replaced Id maybe take off 14 years and throw on Perfect Crime,RNDTH or Dust In Bones.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 10:53:09 PM »

[quote }
anyway, i agree with you that the 2nd half is generally better than the 1st, but to me (remember, ME hehehe) there's not a single song in it that i do not like... i like some better than others, but i swear i like 'em all!

i like em all 2.  really.  although i consider 1 better than 2!

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 11:33:37 PM »

UYI seemed to be a much, much hard rocking album than UYII.? Don't Damn Me is fucking heavy along with Coma.?

D, The Garden is an aquired taste, but Slash's solo rips on it and you hardly even notice the first 1,000 times you listen to it.?

I used to not like Garden of Eden, now I do.?

I couldn't agree more with u about Garden Of Eden

I hated that song for like 11 years and one day I was in a pissed mood. Heard it and it floored me. Now I love it.

The Garden starts off so awesome but I don't know......... I dont dislike it, but I usually skip it.

My ultimate UYI album if i had to choose 16 songs would be:

From UYI 1

1. Live and Let Die
2. Don't Cry
3. Bad Obsession
4. November Rain
5. Don't Damn Me
6. Dead Horse
7. Coma

UYI II

8.Civil War
9. 14 Years
10. Yesterdays
11. Knockin On Heaven's Door
12. Breakdown
13. Pretty Tied Up
14. Locomotive
15. Estranged
16. You Could Be Mine

To Me that would've been the definitive Use You Illusion

If anything had to replaced Id maybe take off 14 years and throw on Perfect Crime,RNDTH or Dust In Bones.

D, I thought you liked DC alt. version better? 

I agree with your UYI2 picks with DC alt. version added in.  I like RNDTH and Perfect Crime a little more than Bad Obsession though. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »

There are no Horrible GN'R songs Except "My World" & "Silkworms".
Anyone who thinks "Perfect Crime" is bad needs their head checked. It was played back before Appetite (although no recording has surfaced).

UYI II is the better Half. The songs on it are so melodic and soo much laid back and rockin'. UYI I is more kick ass faster, heavier side of the Band. What kinda mood i'm in determines which CD I listen too.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 11:45:11 PM »

^yeah, Perfect Crime, nice stuff...even better live.  Kinda like LALD (better live), which to my ears is better than McCartney's original, even better live. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 12:04:23 AM »

I thoroughly enjoy both UYI 1 and 2, however I agree that Right Next Door To Hell was not the best choice to lead off the record.  Its just not catchy enough.  Welcome to the Jungle I believe is the best opener to any record I've ever heard.  Typically the first track is a single.  Right Next Door To Hell is cool, but just not strong enough.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: