Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 02:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 199867 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #720 on: October 24, 2008, 09:47:34 AM »

All tied up.

But I think the Phillies, for now, are in the drivers seat.  They essentially "took" home field away from TB by winning one of two.  They win 2 of 3 in Philly and I think they're all set.

They just can't lose game 3. Smiley  Gotta get those bats to wake up...maybe they need some hats for their bats?  Or to offer us some Rum to Jobu?  Or maybe they can get "President Palmer" to come into their locker room and give them a pep talk. WHATEVER it takes...because I think game 3 is going to be the litmus for the rest of the series.

Go Phillies!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #721 on: October 24, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »

I think the Phils might be in trouble actually.  IF Garza can continue his solid pitching, that's a huge pitching advantage for Tampa over Jamie Moyer.  I'd also give them the advantage in game 4, though it's a little closer between Sonnastine and Blanton.  I agree they need to win 2 out of 3.  If they could somehow take game 3 they'd be in great shape, I just don't have much faith in Moyer.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #722 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »

I think the Phils might be in trouble actually.  IF Garza can continue his solid pitching, that's a huge pitching advantage for Tampa over Jamie Moyer.  I'd also give them the advantage in game 4, though it's a little closer between Sonnastine and Blanton.  I agree they need to win 2 out of 3.  If they could somehow take game 3 they'd be in great shape, I just don't have much faith in Moyer.

Statistically speaking, they both look pretty comparable.  I admit I've not seen much of Moyer, because I watch virtually zero NL ball during the season.  I don't know much about him.

Garza was lights out vs Boston, that's for sure.  I'm not sure I'd take that as gospel that he'll continue to be.  He seemed to pitch pretty well against them all season. Not great (a couple no decisions, 1-1) but he also put up a 0 ER, 7 inning game against them that made the Sox line up look like little leaguers.  And that's the knock on Garza right now: He's inconsistent.  He stunk the place up vs the White Sox (5 runs in 6), then looked good vs Boston.  He's almost "due" for a sub par game.  If you look at his season, he's not been able to get more than 2 winning decisions in a row (he got 3 wins, but they were seperated by a no decision in there).  The guy had ONE really stupendous month back in May....since then, he's been good, but not great.

We'll see!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:11:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #723 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:18 AM »

If the Phillies lose Game 3, do you start Hamels in Game 4 on short rest and then have him available for Game7 if necessary?

sandman
Legend

« Reply #724 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

Statistically speaking, they both look pretty comparable.  I admit I've not seen much of Moyer, because I watch virtually zero NL ball during the season.  I don't know much about him.

Garza was lights out vs Boston, that's for sure.  I'm not sure I'd take that as gospel that he'll continue to be.  He seemed to pitch pretty well against them all season. Not great (a couple no decisions, 1-1) but he also put up a 0 ER, 7 inning game against them that made the Sox line up look like little leaguers.  And that's the knock on Garza right now: He's inconsistent.  He stunk the place up vs the White Sox (5 runs in 6), then looked good vs Boston.  He's almost "due" for a sub par game.  If you look at his season, he's not been able to get more than 2 winning decisions in a row (he got 3 wins, but they were seperated by a no decision in there).  The guy had ONE really stupendous month back in May....since then, he's been good, but not great.

We'll see!

that's what i'm hoping.....Garza due for a bad game. AND moyer due for a good game - he's been terrible in both of his postseason starts. on paper, this is a good matchup for him - young, free-swinging team. but as a fan of the phils, he's tough to watch sometimes. pitch after pitch in the high 70's low 80's....it can be unsettling. I start to feel like I could get a hit off of him.

philly bats have just been awful. we're getting guys on base which is a good sign, but just too many bad at-bats with RISP. i have a feeling they ARE rusty (with the exception of Hamels), and were somewhat lucky to win game 1.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #725 on: October 24, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »

If the Phillies lose Game 3, do you start Hamels in Game 4 on short rest and then have him available for Game7 if necessary?

i think they should, but it won't happen. Charlie has said he doesn't want to do that, and Hamels has said he knows his body and wouldn't be as effective on only 3 days rest.

the other wild card here is there is a noreaster moving through philly tomorrow and Game 3 is likley to be postponed. not sure if TB would consider pitching Kazmir in game 4 over sonnanstine, but that would make that impossible. the problem for the phils in this scenario is that if the game is cancelled, there will be 5 games in 5 days; therefore, Moyer (46-years-old) would have to pitch on 3-days rest IF the series went 7.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #726 on: October 24, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »

that's what i'm hoping.....Garza due for a bad game. AND moyer due for a good game - he's been terrible in both of his postseason starts. on paper, this is a good matchup for him - young, free-swinging team. but as a fan of the phils, he's tough to watch sometimes. pitch after pitch in the high 70's low 80's....it can be unsettling. I start to feel like I could get a hit off of him.

philly bats have just been awful. we're getting guys on base which is a good sign, but just too many bad at-bats with RISP. i have a feeling they ARE rusty (with the exception of Hamels), and were somewhat lucky to win game 1.

I think it was the 6th last night...runners on 1st and 3rd with no out after upton trapped that little blooper....I thought they might bust it open with a hit.

Once they missed that opportunity, I thought the game was pretty much over.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

huge win by the phils. Moyer stepped it up. it was an emotional night for him. that guy is total class. and somehow the phillies continue to hit HRs throughout the post season. Rollins had a few hits as well. hopefully that continues. the phils winning percentage is over .700 when he scores a run.

garza looked a mess. the phils had an opportunity to break the game open early and didn't take advantage. anyone catch this... http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-blinq/Fishy_Fishy_Fishy.html

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »

Totally missed the game.  When I saw that it was delayed until (early reports said) at least midnight, I just gave up on it. 

That makes me want to kill.  Wink

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #729 on: October 26, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »

Totally missed the game.  When I saw that it was delayed until (early reports said) at least midnight, I just gave up on it. 

it was crazy watching one of the biggest sporting events of my life at close to 2am. i really thought they would call it earlier in the day. glad they didn't.

i'm leaving now for game 4. first world series game of my life.  ok

GO PHILS!!!!

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #730 on: October 26, 2008, 04:37:44 PM »

it was crazy watching one of the biggest sporting events of my life at close to 2am. i really thought they would call it earlier in the day. glad they didn't.

i'm leaving now for game 4. first world series game of my life.  ok

GO PHILS!!!!

Yeah, I totally thought they'd call it.  I was surprised, just before heading off to bed, to see that there was a score from the early innings.

Anyway, I'm "for" the Phils, but I have to admit that in game 4 I'm for TB...as a sports fan, I want GOOD post-seasons, and 2-2 with three left comes pretty close to my definition of "good."  The Boston sweeps of STL and COL were so anti-climactic.  As was CWS v. HOU and STL v. DET.  There's somethign to be said for having a good, competitive series.  Something neither team wants, and their fan bases don't want, but something altogether satisfying for the rest of us sports fans.  Because watching Aaron "fuckin'" Boone launch that shot in the ALCS was just as satisfying as watching Boston come back from 3-0 the next year, from a purely sports loving perspective. 

I WANT 7 GAMES!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #731 on: October 27, 2008, 10:29:30 AM »

last night was incredible. i could not believe i was standing a world series game watching ryan howard hit a clutch 3-run HR. it was the scenario phillies fans have envisioned for a few years now.

the crowd was REALLY into it. it was loud down there.

i was with my cousin and a buddy who runs a website called deadspin.com. here's some pics of one of several gatherings that were taking place all across the city. i can only imagine what it's gonna be like if we pull this thing off. 

http://deadspin.com/5069120/angryville-prepares-for-the-great-unmooring

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #732 on: October 27, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »

last night was incredible. i could not believe i was standing a world series game watching ryan howard hit a clutch 3-run HR. it was the scenario phillies fans have envisioned for a few years now.

i was with my cousin and a buddy who runs a website called deadspin.com. here's some pics of one of several gatherings that were taking place all across the city. i can only imagine what it's gonna be like if we pull this thing off. 

Glad you got your "moment"...and, other than the clincher to win it, last night was about as good as it can get.  Early drama, but you pretty much had it nailed down before the final innings, so you could sit back and bask in exactly what being up 3-1 means.

I'm not gonna jinx it...but GO PHILLIES!

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #733 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »

Glad you got your "moment"...and, other than the clincher to win it, last night was about as good as it can get.  Early drama, but you pretty much had it nailed down before the final innings, so you could sit back and bask in exactly what being up 3-1 means.

I'm not gonna jinx it...but GO PHILLIES!

thanks!  ok

yes, it was nice to have those exciting moments early to take away some of the stress/nervousness. and you know things are going your way when your starting pitcher hits a HR.

someone had a sign that said "Joe the Pitcher." that was funny. after his HR they showed the sign again and they had crossed out "pitcher" and had "Joe the Hitter" instead.

another great story....Tim Mcgraw threw out the first pitch before game 3. His dad, Tug McGraw, was the phils closer and got the final out of the one and only World Series win in 1980. he's one of the fans' all-time favorite phillies, and he passed away from a brain tumor in 2004. Tim brought some of his ashes on the field and sprinkled them on the mound before he threw the pitch. i got the chills when i heard that last night.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #734 on: October 27, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »

IF I were Tampa, id fly Bartman to the game.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #735 on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »

What happens when a game is tied and called because of rain? A tie game in the World Series?HuhHuh??

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #736 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03:02 PM »

They resume it exactly where it left off i believe.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #737 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »

The field in Philly is practically flooded. It is supposed to rain there tomorrow also.

EDIT- Game is suspended: things will pick up tomorrow where it left off tonight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:19:10 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
sandman
Legend

« Reply #738 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:23 AM »

i can't believe they had TB bat in the 6th. it made no sense whatsoever. and obviously i'm annoyed that they tied it up, but don't you want to try as hard as possible to make it fair and call it after a FULL inning???

and despite what the Rays players want to believe, Selig stated they were planning to finish the game whether the phils were up a run or not (i.e. the phils would not have won a shortened game. they were playing all 9 innings regardless).

what a clusterfuck. and TB has to be feeling alot better about their chances of a comeback. still have to win 3, but their hitters have some confidence and they don't have to face hamels again. it's basically bullpen vs. bullpen tomorrow night (or wednesday as the weather looks worse for tuesday).

(on a sidenote....taking my gnr/philly sports parallel even further, this would be comparable to.....uh, nevermind.  hihi)

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #739 on: October 28, 2008, 07:18:13 AM »

Sandman, I'm glad you got to experience a World Series game!  I would love to be in your shoes.

And I'm also happy we had an HTGTH representative at the Fall Classic.

With that said, go Rays!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: