Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 08:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200110 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #620 on: October 09, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »

My "loyalty" throughout the playoffs is up for grabs as I have no horse in this race.

Please make pitches or bribe offers here.

Oh, and Red Sox fans need not apply!  Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #621 on: October 09, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »

My "loyalty" throughout the playoffs is up for grabs as I have no horse in this race.

Curious.  As a Yankee fan, would you want to see Torre win it with the Dodgers?  I know you probably respect greatly all he did with the Yanks.  Or would that hurt a bit knowing that the Yanks let him go and are watching fall baseball from the sidelines?

Tampa Bay is a nice story, but I'm sure Fox is praying that they don't beat the Sox to get to the World Series.  You can only sell the underdog story so much.  The lack of a loyal fanbase, the drab looking field they play on, the catwalks.  They can't really go wrong in the NL, though I think they'd prefer a Dodgers/Sox series.  You get both coasts involved.  Boston/LA rivalry.  Manny, Lowe, Nomar vs. Boston.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #622 on: October 09, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »

Curious.  As a Yankee fan, would you want to see Torre win it with the Dodgers?  I know you probably respect greatly all he did with the Yanks.  Or would that hurt a bit knowing that the Yanks let him go and are watching fall baseball from the sidelines?

Tampa Bay is a nice story, but I'm sure Fox is praying that they don't beat the Sox to get to the World Series.  You can only sell the underdog story so much.  The lack of a loyal fanbase, the drab looking field they play on, the catwalks.  They can't really go wrong in the NL, though I think they'd prefer a Dodgers/Sox series.  You get both coasts involved.  Boston/LA rivalry.  Manny, Lowe, Nomar vs. Boston.

I love Joe, and wish him all the best, forever, no matter where he goes.  So seeing him win it would be fine with me... Now, if the Yanks were PLAYING the Dodgers, it might sting a bit.  But my team is home watching, so.....good for Joe. Smiley

What I think would be ironic would be the Dodgers vs the Sox (though I'm rooting for the Rays in that series, strictly on principal), and having the Dodgers beat 'em.  The whole Manny soap opera would be amusing to watch, as would the Nomar and Lowe series.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #623 on: October 09, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »

Yeah I would love to see the reception Manny gets from the Fenway faithful in a World Series game.  Jason Bay would get a huge ovation too I'm sure.  First things first though.  Gotta get by Tampa first, and that's not gonna be easy.  Boston's going with Dice K in game 1 vs. Shields, Tampa's ace.  Advantage Tampa there.  However, Boston should have the pitching advantage in games 2 and 3.  We'll see though.

In the NLCS it's Philly's offense vs. LA's pitching.  They say pitching wins, right?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #624 on: October 09, 2008, 07:04:17 PM »

I'd love to see the Dodgers win it not just for Torre though, but for Mattingly. He so badly deserves to be apart of a championship.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #625 on: October 10, 2008, 02:30:18 AM »

It's not gonna happen when Torre doesn't pull pitchers in trouble.

I told my neighbor during the 5th inning that Torre needs to call the bullpen.

Fast forward to the 6th....

Furcal fucked up with the throw.

Torre should have (yank)ed Lowe after the first HR, but no, he just had to let them get the lead.

Oh, and fuck the big center field wall.

Smiley
sandman
Legend

« Reply #626 on: October 10, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

i think you should jump on board with the phils! in fact, everyone in this thread with no horse in the race should.

i've made the parallel to friends numerous times over the years between being a Gnr fan and hoping to have CD in my hands someday, and being a philly sports fan and hoping to win a championship. so in some weird way, you can almost understand what philly fans have been going through for several years now - 25 years (100 major sports seasons) with no titles. even though we get a bad wrap in the media, the passion for all of the Philly sports teams is really strong. and when a team gets this close to winning it all, the entire city jumps on board and supports the team. and this desperation is well known and sometimes places added pressure on our sports teams. everyone is waiting to see who will be the team that ends the drought.

but as for the team itself, they are truly a likeable bunch. the manager is old school and super nice guy. Ryan Howard is one of those stars that when he's at bat, you have to watch (cause we all love the long ball). and Chase Utley is everything you want in a baseball player. he's smart, plays as hard as anyone, quiet type that leads by example. these are stars that could potentially set their mark as true MLB "greats" in the next 3 weeks.

and then there's Moyer. who doesn't love the aging verteran providing leadership and grit in a quest for the title he's never won before? and for the team he grew up watching as a child? (he grew up outside of philly). he's the oldest player in MLB, and he still finds a way to place those changeups on the corners and keep batters off-balance and guessing.

anyway, jump on board!!  ok

(Disclaimer: just don't get too attached as i'm sure philly fans are in for a MAJOR kick in the stomach at some point this month.  hihi)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:23:15 AM by sandman » Logged

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #627 on: October 10, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

So Jon Bon Jovi winning you guys an Arena Bowl doesn't count right? hihi

I like the Phillies as I am a Braves fan and generally root for the NL East but I admit, seeing Torre/Manny vs The Redsox would be too intriguing to pass up.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #628 on: October 10, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »

I like the Phillies as I am a Braves fan and generally root for the NL East but I admit, seeing Torre/Manny vs The Redsox would be too intriguing to pass up.

It is an intriguing plot line, but I hate for retardo Joe Buck's job to be that easy.  Make him work for his undeserved money: Philly v. Tampa!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #629 on: October 10, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »

rofl

we've actually won quite a few titles outside of the "Big 4." The Soul won this year, the Phantoms (hockey) won at least one, the Wings won a few, and even the Kixx won a couple titles (which has some local philly soccer players that i grew up with on the team.)

but no, they do not count. i want a major title. one that comes with a huge parade down Broad St.

by the way, great game last night. i was on the edge of my seat. i wasn't feeling good after watching our at-bats through the first few innings. the phils are still only generating runs with HRs, but they continue to get them. utley had been slumping so getting that HR from him was huge.

i can't believe another game starts in a little over 3 hours. i've barely recovered from last night.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #630 on: October 10, 2008, 08:26:13 PM »

Oh, and fuck the big center field wall.

Smiley
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #631 on: October 11, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »

Sox win game 1, with Dice K pitching a near gem.  He was his usual wild yet unhittable self in the first 2 innings, but then settled down and took a no hitter into the 7th and pitched into the 8th.  Although he really should've been pulled after the 7th, he had thrown 108 pitches or so and the top of the 8th was a little lengthy.  He didn't record an out in the 8th and gave way to the bullpen.  But they came through, Okajima got Pena to fly out to right on a 3-0 count and Masterson got a double play to end the inning.  Then of course, Papelbon closed things out in the ninth.  Another exciting game.  Most people (me included) expected the Rays to win game 1.  We'll see how they bounce back tonight.  They better hope Beckett's still rusty or else they could be down 2-0 with Jon Lester on the horizon.  The Rays have their own version of Dice K going tonight.  Scott Kazmir has great stuff but he struggles to get past the 5th/6th innings.

Phillies held serve in the NLCS.  So far the offense is beating the pitching.  How about Brett Myers playing a great all around game in the playoffs.  He's had the 2 most important at bats in each series so far for the Phils.  I keep expecting Lidge to blow a save, I mean he's bound to one of these times right?  I remember when Tom Gordon was perfect through the regular season and into the playoffs in 1999 and then he blew the deciding game in the ALDS to the Indians.  Is it just me or does it seem like Tim McCarver is overdoing it with his praise for Manny Ramirez during the games?  We know you hate Manny, Tim, stop trying to act like you don't.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #632 on: October 11, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »

Phillies held serve in the NLCS.  So far the offense is beating the pitching.  How about Brett Myers playing a great all around game in the playoffs.  He's had the 2 most important at bats in each series so far for the Phils.  I keep expecting Lidge to blow a save, I mean he's bound to one of these times right?  I remember when Tom Gordon was perfect through the regular season and into the playoffs in 1999 and then he blew the deciding game in the ALDS to the Indians.  Is it just me or does it seem like Tim McCarver is overdoing it with his praise for Manny Ramirez during the games?  We know you hate Manny, Tim, stop trying to act like you don't.

He was bashing Manny on Wednesday, it was a big story on ESPN.com

Listening to Tim McCarver and Joe Buck is like looking at a copy of Chinese Democracy through a glass display.  Pure torture.

The TBS guys aren't any better.  Why are all the morons in the booth brain-dead?

Fucking Joe Torre.  For the second game in a row, he can't figure out when to pull a pitcher.  He's gone Grady Little on us.  The bullpen was magnificent.  You know it's not your day when the bottom of the order rapes you.  Myers was responsible for 5 of Philadelphia's runs. 

Wanna get away?
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #633 on: October 11, 2008, 06:59:34 PM »

I'm such a dope.

I got tickets for the game tomorrow.

My first ever playoff game in person.

drool
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #634 on: October 13, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »

Ladies & Gentleman, we have another historic ALCS Battle!!

Rays Rout Boston, Take 2-1 Lead in ALCS

BOSTON ?  B.J. Upton and Rocco Baldelli hit three-run homers to highlight a Tampa Bay power display in a 9-1 win over Boston in game three of the ALCS. The Rays lead the series two-games-to-one.

Evan Longoria and Carlos Pena added solo homers for Tampa Bay, which has now hit seven home runs in the last two games.

Matt Garza benefitted from the power display. He was staked to a five-run lead after three innings. He did his part by limiting the Red Sox to a run on six hits in six-plus innings. Garza struck out five.

Tampa Bay struck for four runs in the third off Boston starter Jon Lester. Upton and Longoria hit their home runs to account for all the runs in the inning. Baldelli homered in the eighth and Pena went deep in the ninth inning.

Game 4 is scheduled for tomorrow in Boston.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,437326,00.html

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #635 on: October 14, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »

Man I hate Boston

Id love to see the Rays take them out!

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #636 on: October 14, 2008, 12:39:12 AM »

I went to game 3, it was probably the best night of my life.

Today, depression has set in at the Carlson household.

(I'll post pictures from the game later on.)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #637 on: October 14, 2008, 12:39:56 AM »

phils up 3-1. that was one of the greatest sporting events of my life. i can't sleep. my heart is still pounding. just a huge win.

Victorino has been so clutch. and matt stairs HR was unreal. he killed that ball!

i'm sure i'll be feeling like Charlie Brown within the next 2 weeks. it seems like something special is happening and the drought could come to an end, but like every other year the ball will be pulled away at the last second.  hihi

but shit, if Chinese Democracy can be released, a philly sports team can win a championship!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #638 on: October 14, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »

Dude, if u guys get to the World Series and face Tampa Bay

HAHA, Imagine losing a world series to Tampa.

There would be millions of suicide watches in Philly.

I think u guys have it!

Just dont let Mitch Wild Thing Williams anywhere near the Stadium! hihi (opened the wound i know hihi)    but hey, if I have to watch Fucking Christian Laettner hit that shot against my Kentucky team every single March, U Can be reminded of Mitch Williams.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #639 on: October 14, 2008, 01:01:12 AM »

Dude, if u guys get to the World Series and face Tampa Bay

HAHA, Imagine losing a world series to Tampa.

There would be millions of suicide watches in Philly.

I think u guys have it!

Just dont let Mitch Wild Thing Williams anywhere near the Stadium! hihi (opened the wound i know hihi)    but hey, if I have to watch Fucking Christian Laettner hit that shot against my Kentucky team every single March, U Can be reminded of Mitch Williams.

hahaha!!! funny you mention mitch - i don't have to be reminded of him. i've been watching him talk on the post game show for the last 45 minutes. he's a local celebrity these days. he's on sports talk radio, and he does the pre and post game shows for the phillies on the local comcast sports channel all year long.

losing to a franchise like TB would suck, but i have alot of respect for that team. great pitching.

the phils do look like a great team right now. it was our pitching vs the Brewers and in game 1 vs the dodgers that got it done, and our offense bailed us out in games 2 and 4 of this series. but i don't like our matchup with TB or the sox. our SP just doesn't match up and it will be tough to get the 5+ runs we'll need to win.

and F joe buck and tim mccarver. it sure seems like they are pulling for the dodgers. and i'm one of the few that normally likes those guys.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: