Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 10:27:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200167 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #580 on: October 03, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »

that phils game was incredible. myers at-bat vs. CC was classic! and it set up Victorino's grand slam. that whole sequence was one of the most entertaining/exciting sports moments i've ever witnessed live.

Go Phils!
Yeah I'm not a NL fan, and usually detest the pitchers hitting, but that was the turning point of that game.  A 10 pitch at bat and drawing a walk by Myers.  That was a great at bat, CC just couldn't put him away.  He never could recover from that.  I think the Brewers are done, although some home cooking could give them some life.  I'm not gonna count the Cubs out just yet.  They actually may be better off on the road at this point, as their fans seem to have pretty much thrown in the towel.  Getting away for 2 games (if they can win game 3) could be a good thing for them.  If they can win 2 in LA, the fans faith will be restored, hopefully, for game 5.  I can't believe how poorly they've played in the first 2 games.  They're better than that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #581 on: October 03, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »

that phils game was incredible. myers at-bat vs. CC was classic! and it set up Victorino's grand slam. that whole sequence was one of the most entertaining/exciting sports moments i've ever witnessed live.

Go Phils!
Yeah I'm not a NL fan, and usually detest the pitchers hitting, but that was the turning point of that game.  A 10 pitch at bat and drawing a walk by Myers.  That was a great at bat, CC just couldn't put him away.  He never could recover from that.  I think the Brewers are done, although some home cooking could give them some life.  I'm not gonna count the Cubs out just yet.  They actually may be better off on the road at this point, as their fans seem to have pretty much thrown in the towel.  Getting away for 2 games (if they can win game 3) could be a good thing for them.  If they can win 2 in LA, the fans faith will be restored, hopefully, for game 5.  I can't believe how poorly they've played in the first 2 games.  They're better than that.

The Brewers need that Miller High Life guy at their games.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #582 on: October 03, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »

I'm not gonna count the Cubs out just yet.  They actually may be better off on the road at this point, as their fans seem to have pretty much thrown in the towel.  Getting away for 2 games (if they can win game 3) could be a good thing for them.  If they can win 2 in LA, the fans faith will be restored, hopefully, for game 5.  I can't believe how poorly they've played in the first 2 games.  They're better than that.

Ugh.  I hear ya.  I wouldn't say that the fans have given up.  Hell, I stayed in the park last night till the final out, as did the majority of the fans.  People gave Z a standing ovation, well aware that it wasn't his fault, and I saw Jimmy Edmonds dive for a ball in a nine run (at that point) game, and get some well deserved applause from the bleacher bums. 

But it was an AWFUL game.  In one inning you have a DP ball hit to the hole where the SS would have been if he wasn't covering second, an error on a DP ball to the 2B, and error on a DP ball to the 1B...my lord.  He could have gotten six outs on those pitches, and he got ZERO.  Z was very frustrated out there, and rightfully so.

But there's an upside.  It's not like the Cubs have played their game and come up short.  Dempster was uncharacteristically wild, the infield has been error prone...so in game three if Harden is the pitcher that he usually is, and the defense doesn't make errors, the outcome will either be a Cubs win or a Dodgers win in a very low scoring game.

But so far?  Horrible.  I hope that's not the only playoff game I ever attend. 

Though, I should add, the atmosphere was electric before things went horribly awry.  I've been to Wrigley a lot, including games against rivals like STL, and I've never seen the place hopping like that.  If the fans are angry, it's only because they're dedicated.  The players did not live up to the effort of the fans in game 2.

Anyway, here are my favorite pics from the game (because it's from before the shit hit the fan):

The first one still made it all worthwhile. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #583 on: October 03, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »

That's cool freedom!

Myself, I hate sitting under the overhang.  But at least you were there.

I think the Cubs will have a very good chance at a win.

The playing surface might play a factor.  Wrigley has a very poor infield, while Dodger Stadium is always rated the best in the ML.  It's going to rain in the morning though, so look out for that.

And the Tampa Bay novelty has worn off.  They had fucking BELLS at the game. 
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #584 on: October 04, 2008, 01:17:21 AM »

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #585 on: October 04, 2008, 01:34:58 AM »

thats what i love to see. angles are making me a shit load of money  ok
GNRFAN20
« Reply #586 on: October 04, 2008, 01:49:09 AM »

angels lost once again tonight cant believe it but boston is going to the second round Cry
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2008, 01:50:36 AM »

thats what i love to see. angles are making me a shit load of money  ok

I get 10%.  Cheesy
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #588 on: October 04, 2008, 02:31:30 AM »

Rays win again!  ok

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #589 on: October 04, 2008, 03:07:32 AM »

I'm not gonna count the Cubs out just yet.  They actually may be better off on the road at this point, as their fans seem to have pretty much thrown in the towel.  Getting away for 2 games (if they can win game 3) could be a good thing for them.  If they can win 2 in LA, the fans faith will be restored, hopefully, for game 5.  I can't believe how poorly they've played in the first 2 games.  They're better than that.

Ugh.  I hear ya.  I wouldn't say that the fans have given up.  Hell, I stayed in the park last night till the final out, as did the majority of the fans.  People gave Z a standing ovation, well aware that it wasn't his fault, and I saw Jimmy Edmonds dive for a ball in a nine run (at that point) game, and get some well deserved applause from the bleacher bums. 

But it was an AWFUL game.  In one inning you have a DP ball hit to the hole where the SS would have been if he wasn't covering second, an error on a DP ball to the 2B, and error on a DP ball to the 1B...my lord.  He could have gotten six outs on those pitches, and he got ZERO.  Z was very frustrated out there, and rightfully so.

But there's an upside.  It's not like the Cubs have played their game and come up short.  Dempster was uncharacteristically wild, the infield has been error prone...so in game three if Harden is the pitcher that he usually is, and the defense doesn't make errors, the outcome will either be a Cubs win or a Dodgers win in a very low scoring game.

But so far?  Horrible.  I hope that's not the only playoff game I ever attend. 

Though, I should add, the atmosphere was electric before things went horribly awry.  I've been to Wrigley a lot, including games against rivals like STL, and I've never seen the place hopping like that.  If the fans are angry, it's only because they're dedicated.  The players did not live up to the effort of the fans in game 2.

Anyway, here are my favorite pics from the game (because it's from before the shit hit the fan):

The first one still made it all worthwhile. 
I knew you wouldn't have given up at this point freedom.  I was speaking just from what I heard the morning after.  Listening to Mike and Mike, Greenberg a devout Cubs fan had given up, as had many of the listeners.  I find it sad, and give you props for sticking it out.  You can't give up on your team, no matter how bleak things may seem.  I think the Cubs have a clear pitching advantage in game 3.  They win that, at least that's a start.  Hope for the best in game 4 with Lilly going.

Rays continue to get it done.  I don't really understand how, but they keep doint it.  Chad Mother f'ing Bradford closed it out for them today.  Seriously???  Sox are up 2-0 over the Halos.  JD Drew worked his post-season magic once again.  Hadn't heard from him since July it seems.  Bay came through early in the game too.  Huge hole for the Angles to climb out of, and I can't really see them doing it facing Beckett in game 3.  Even if they were able to get by him they'd have to get by Lester in game 4 and he's been pretty much unbeatable at home this season.  Tough odds for the Angels.  I thought they improved their offense this year, but really, you get by the 3-4-5, they're pretty weak.  And the Sox just have better pitching.  At least, so far. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #590 on: October 04, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »

The Gaylo's are built for the regular season.

Vladdy boy is the best example.  He can only get 20 AB's maximum in a series.  He doesn't do so well in a shorter time frame.  He's the west coast A-Rod.

He does his damage when he gets 400+ AB's.  Oh well, it doesn't count in October!

K-Rod...hahahahaha.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #591 on: October 04, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »

I knew you wouldn't have given up at this point freedom.  I was speaking just from what I heard the morning after.  Listening to Mike and Mike, Greenberg a devout Cubs fan had given up, as had many of the listeners.  I find it sad, and give you props for sticking it out.  You can't give up on your team, no matter how bleak things may seem.  I think the Cubs have a clear pitching advantage in game 3.  They win that, at least that's a start.  Hope for the best in game 4 with Lilly going.

No, I didn't think it was a comment on my devotion.  I've listened to the post game call in stuff on WGN radio.  The Cubs lost their first two games of the year, and people were calling in about how ineffective Soriano is, blah blah blah.  There's always a vocal minority, and I tend to ignore them.

From a purely program building perspective, I think the Cubs have turned a corner.  Two straight playoff berths.  Two straight divisions.  I want this team to get to the point where their worst year is about .500.  If you're constantly a contender to make the playoffs, you have a much better chance of winning it all.  I'm sure the nuts will criticize, but Hendry has gotten them to that level in building this team from A ball up, and I generally feel like it's just a matter of time, so long as we keep putting a good team out there.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #592 on: October 05, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »

Brews win tonight, and Cubs are in LA. How did they ever lose two in Wrigley ( I know how, it is more  a philosophical question).
Glad to see the Rays win. I hope they go all the way. Gives hope to the losers in the world that if they keep believing something good can happen (a la My Michelle).

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #593 on: October 05, 2008, 01:00:13 AM »

Brews win tonight, and Cubs are in LA. How did they ever lose two in Wrigley ( I know how, it is more  a philosophical question).

Rust and good Dodgers pitching.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GNRFAN20
« Reply #594 on: October 05, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »

Dodgers are going to the second round now
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #595 on: October 05, 2008, 05:57:12 AM »

I'm happy.

But they're still gonna get swept in the NLCS.

First team to clinch, wow.  I still can't believe this is happening.

Too bad the big one is going to hit Dodger Stadium and Manny is gonna fall right through the San Andreas Fault.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #596 on: October 05, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

What in the hell was that just now in halos sox game? Are the halos actively trying to lose? Three people around an infield fly and it drops in between all of them? You gotta be fucking kidding me.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #597 on: October 05, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »

Dodgers are going to the second round now

I've always liked Torre, he deserves it. ( Mattingly also).

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #598 on: October 05, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »

Yeah i like them both too. I've actually met Mattingly, very nice guy.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #599 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:02 PM »

The Angels fail at baserunning again, LOL.

Torii Hunter = Washed up piece of trash.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: