Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 02:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200296 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #500 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

Losing Quentin was a big blow to Chicago.  I mean they still have a good offense, but they lost a guy who was having an MVP type season.  That never helps.  I don't really like their pitching all that much.  I'd give the Twins a slight edge, even though I'm not crazy about them either.  They're not great at anything, just good at everything.  That does look like it'll go down to the wire.  The Phillies don't seem to want to catch the Mets this year, or maybe the Mets just don't want to blow another lead.  I see them holding on, but obviously they proved last year that anything can happen.  Milwaukee had that wild card all but won.  What happened there?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #501 on: September 14, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »

Losing Quentin was a big blow to Chicago.  I mean they still have a good offense, but they lost a guy who was having an MVP type season.  That never helps.  I don't really like their pitching all that much.  I'd give the Twins a slight edge, even though I'm not crazy about them either.  They're not great at anything, just good at everything.  That does look like it'll go down to the wire.  The Phillies don't seem to want to catch the Mets this year, or maybe the Mets just don't want to blow another lead.  I see them holding on, but obviously they proved last year that anything can happen.  Milwaukee had that wild card all but won.  What happened there?

Dude, they lost Santana and Hunter and they are right there.  Props to them.

Delgado has come on strong for the Mets, and Willie Randolph isn't around anymore.  That's what got the Mets going.

Milwaukee is a strange one.  Stay tuned.

(Dodgers w/ a 4.5 game lead.  They're still going to blow it.)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #502 on: September 14, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »

Zambrano no hitter!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #503 on: September 14, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »

If I was one of those dumb sports writers, I would have said, "Zambrano-no!"

The Dodgers remain 4.5 games ahead of Arizona.

I really want the Dodgers to play the Cubs.  I want to see if they really have worse luck than the Cubs.

One postseason win in the last 20 years.

Yep, we're fucked!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #504 on: September 14, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »

I really want the Dodgers to play the Cubs.  I want to see if they really have worse luck than the Cubs.

Yep, we're fucked!

hihi  Nice one.  I'm always happy with the prospects of not seeing Brandon Webb in a short series, though LA has good pitching, too. 

What the hell is up with the Brew Crew, though?  They're collapsing.  I thought they were a sure thing to make it, with that talented core of hitters and good pitching. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #505 on: September 14, 2008, 10:54:22 PM »

Yep, we're fucked!

hihi  Nice one.  I'm always happy with the prospects of not seeing Brandon Webb in a short series, though LA has good pitching, too. 

What the hell is up with the Brew Crew, though?  They're collapsing.  I thought they were a sure thing to make it, with that talented core of hitters and good pitching. 

I want Milwaukee to take the wild card because the Dodgers don't stand a chance against the Mets.

Well, they would lose to the Cubs too, so that doesn't matter!

Too many MGD's I'm guessing.

Prince Fielder is too fat?  I have no clue, I don't watch too many Brewers games.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #506 on: September 16, 2008, 01:19:25 AM »

Well freedom, they fired Ned Yost!

We shall see what happens.

What a crazy September.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #507 on: September 16, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »

Well freedom, they fired Ned Yost!

We shall see what happens.

What a crazy September.

It was surprising.  If necessary, I figured they'd wait until after the season, at least.  I mean, the Cubs just went through a bad skid, too, but they didn't fire Sweet Lou, and now they're bouncing back.  This was Yost's best year, and the team keeps improving under him.  They've won as many games this year as last year, with another dozen to go.  Seems like a rash decision.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #508 on: September 16, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »

I can see a firing like that this late in the season coming back to bite them in the ass but we'll see.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #509 on: September 16, 2008, 08:59:16 AM »

Sox crushed the Rays last night, now tied for first.  It was their first win at the Trop all season.  Season series is now tied 8-8.  Kazmir pitched possibly the worst game of his career.  They were teeing off him.  And of course, I had Kazmir going in my fantasy baseball finals.  Luckily I have a full 2 weeks to try and make up for that.  Quite a hole to dig out of though. 

Tonight it's Beckett vs. Sonnastine.  You'd have to think advantage Bo-Sox, but Sonnastine matched Josh last week and the Rays ended up winning that game, so who knows.  Plus often in baseball when a team explodes offensively one night they forget how to hit the next day, we'll see though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #510 on: September 16, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »

Sox crushed the Rays last night, now tied for first.  It was their first win at the Trop all season.  Season series is now tied 8-8.  Kazmir pitched possibly the worst game of his career.  They were teeing off him.  And of course, I had Kazmir going in my fantasy baseball finals.  Luckily I have a full 2 weeks to try and make up for that.  Quite a hole to dig out of though. 

Tonight it's Beckett vs. Sonnastine.  You'd have to think advantage Bo-Sox, but Sonnastine matched Josh last week and the Rays ended up winning that game, so who knows.  Plus often in baseball when a team explodes offensively one night they forget how to hit the next day, we'll see though.

Regardless of who wins this division, it's pretty clear that Tampa Bay is going to the playoffs...and that's fantastic!  It's always nice to see new teams make it, and to mix it up some (sorry Yanks' fans). 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #511 on: September 16, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »

Regardless of who wins this division, it's pretty clear that Tampa Bay is going to the playoffs...and that's fantastic!  It's always nice to see new teams make it, and to mix it up some (sorry Yanks' fans). 
Agreed, it looks like the wild card will come from the AL East, AGAIN!  And the Rays certainly are a great story this year.  Pretty much everyone expected them to fall off down the stretch but they've played tough even despite some key injuries.  But I don't think either team really wants to travel to Anaheim to open the ALDS.  Even though the Sox have had their way with the Halos in October in previous years, I think they're a better team than in the past.  Much rather open against the Central winner.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #512 on: September 16, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »

Agreed, it looks like the wild card will come from the AL East, AGAIN!  And the Rays certainly are a great story this year.  Pretty much everyone expected them to fall off down the stretch but they've played tough even despite some key injuries.  But I don't think either team really wants to travel to Anaheim to open the ALDS.  Even though the Sox have had their way with the Halos in October in previous years, I think they're a better team than in the past.  Much rather open against the Central winner.

I wouldn't know who to root AGAINST in that series.  hihi
sandman
Legend

« Reply #513 on: September 18, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »

i can't believe the phils have made a run and are back in it. Ryan Howard is coming through again. he actually deserves serious consideration for MVP, despite his low BA. his numbers are just too good to ignore.

it's gonna be a fun ride over the next 10 days. i've watched some of the most exciting baseball i've seen in a while over the last week or so.

the mets are pathetic. they fired their manager earlier in the year when everyone knows the problem is the players. they need to get rid of half that team and get some young guys in there. they're a bunch of choke-artists.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #514 on: September 18, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »

i can't believe the phils have made a run and are back in it. Ryan Howard is coming through again. he actually deserves serious consideration for MVP, despite his low BA. his numbers are just too good to ignore.

it's gonna be a fun ride over the next 10 days. i've watched some of the most exciting baseball i've seen in a while over the last week or so.

the mets are pathetic. they fired their manager earlier in the year when everyone knows the problem is the players. they need to get rid of half that team and get some young guys in there. they're a bunch of choke-artists.

I agree.  But then there's the love affair with Pujols.  Nothing against him, but he is quite adored.  In 2005, when Derrek Lee won the batting title (thus, also the silver slugger) and gold glove, they argued that, while great, it should really be Pujols getting the MVP because the Cards made the playoffs, and a truly valuable player leads his team to the playoffs.  No question Pujols has great numbers, but if they give him the MVP, it's pretty clear that there's no real standard except a pro-Pujols (as, arguably, baseball's best offensive player) standard. 

I don't necessarily think the MVP on a playoff team standard is correct.  Andre Dawson won it for a last place team, after all, but they should at least apply a consistent standard.  And if it's the best player, regardless of the playoffs, then Pujols should get it, but shouldn't have gotten it in 2005.  If the playoffs matter, then he should NOT get it.

And, of course, Pujols agrees, based on his whining after Howard's 2006 MVP win, that it should come from a playoff team.

Not that any of this matters.  My bet?  They'll say "Pujols is great!  Look how he carried that young team on his back!  Let's give him the MVP!"  He is great, and he did carry that young team.  No doubt.  The question is whether baseball applies any sort of consistent standard...which they don't.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #515 on: September 21, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »

Ahh yeah, I went to the Dodgers/Giants game yesterday.

I had so much fun.  I was hanging out in the outfield.  I usually catch batting practice but I was a hair late because I got the tickets late and by the time I picked up my friend, we had missed it.

But we saw them drive in Tommy Lasorda's 81st birthday cake.  It was HUGE!  I betcha he ate the whole thing by himself.

The game took fucking forever to complete.  Over 4 hours! 

I saw Manny drive in 5 runs via 2 bombs. 

I even got into it with a guy wearing a Barroids jersey.  He tried to sneak out of the Stadium undetected, but I saw him and I got up and started yelling at him and everyone in the surrounding sections joined in.

I felt like such a big man.

I'll be purchasing a Hummer real soon!  rofl
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #516 on: September 21, 2008, 08:55:12 PM »

Did you ever think you'd live to see the day the Tampa Bay Rays made the playoffs?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #517 on: September 21, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »

The way they were going no i honestly didn't think i'd see it in my lifetime.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2008, 02:15:17 AM »

Men, it was hard saying goodbye to Yankee Stadium.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »

Men, it was hard saying goodbye to Yankee Stadium.

Yeah it really was it just won't be the same at the new one next year. I thought the pregame ceremony and the post game wee great though, All those great legends. It was great seeing guys i grew up watching over the last 30 yrs and the ones that came before me. I enjoyed seeing whitey and yogi and reggie in the espn booth listening to their stories. I like that one in particular whitey and yogi told where whitey started a game giving up 3 straight hits and the manager comes out and says to yogi does whitey have anything? And yogi responds with i don't know i haven't caught a pitch yet. I have to say i didn't agree with morgan with how he rated reggie among the greats. I'm not saying he wasn't great but he was basically saying to him reggie was the best. I'm sorry but there are several others i'd rank higher than reggie. I did agree with what reggie said about rivera though he is definitely top 5 yankees of all time. The things he has done so consistently over the last 12yrs is incredible. I honestly believe we don't win those 4 titles without him.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: