Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 04:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200338 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »

Manny forced Boston's hand.  They had no choice but to trade him.  A little different than them trading Babe Ruth. 
Here's a question.  Matt Kemp currently leads the Dodgers with 13 HR's.  Will Manny be the team leader by seasons end?
Yanks are taking it easy with Joba, and rightfully so.  I wouldn't be surprised if they scaled back on his workload big time down the stretch.  He's gotta be approaching his career high in innings at any level. You don't want to mess with dynamic young arms. 
Back to the Sox for a moment.  Obviously Manny's gone.  Lowell is hurt, missed last nights game and likely won't be near 100% the rest of the way.  And also last night David Ortiz felt a "click" in his troublesome wrist.  Not clear exactly how serious it is, but it's possible the Sox could take the field tonight without their opening day 3/4/5 hitters.  Not looking good.  Maybe it's that Curse of Manny, D referred to?

Turns out both Lowell and Ortiz are in the lineup tonight, although both are gimpy to say the least.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:54:49 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »

There's 3 words that you never want to hear when news about a pitcher is announced, Dr. James Andrews.  (Actually there's 3 more words that are even worse, Tommy John surgery).

Chamberlain to see Dr. James Andrews 

Sources told the New York Post that Joba Chamberlain is on his way to visit Dr. James Andrews to have his shoulder evaluated.

That's not a good sign, but the Yankees should be taking every precaution anyway. While strength tests on the shoulder reportedly went well, the team isn't going to comment on what the MRI had to say. Manager Joe Girardi said Chamberlain has already been ruled out for his Saturday start. The Yankees are expected to call up someone from Triple-A to fill in. Aug. 5 - 6:25 pm et
Source: New York Post 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2008, 08:04:59 PM »

There's 3 words that you never want to hear when news about a pitcher is announced, Dr. James Andrews.  (Actually there's 3 more words that are even worse, Tommy John surgery).

Chamberlain to see Dr. James Andrews 

Sources told the New York Post that Joba Chamberlain is on his way to visit Dr. James Andrews to have his shoulder evaluated.

That's not a good sign, but the Yankees should be taking every precaution anyway. While strength tests on the shoulder reportedly went well, the team isn't going to comment on what the MRI had to say. Manager Joe Girardi said Chamberlain has already been ruled out for his Saturday start. The Yankees are expected to call up someone from Triple-A to fill in. Aug. 5 - 6:25 pm et
Source: New York Post 

Definitely words you don't wanna hear but its hard to speculate why he's seeing him cause they didn't reveal the results of the MRI. I would think the strength tests going well would be a good sign.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »

Yankees also equal STUPID

there is a reason u have Spring Training and U dont try to convert a reliever into a starter.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »

there is a reason u have Spring Training and U dont try to convert a reliever into a starter.

are you talking about Joba? because they did turn him from a starter into a reliever, back into a starter. he was a starter in the minors up until last September?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »

are you talking about Joba? because they did turn him from a starter into a reliever, back into a starter. he was a starter in the minors up until last September?
Yeah it's kind of strange how they've handled him this year though.  They pretty much knew they were eventually gonna use him as a starter this season, yet they began the year with him as the setup guy.  Then it became evident that they were in serious need of help in the rotation so they switched him over.  I'm sure they had some sort of inning restriction they didn't want him to top this season, not sure if he's close to that at this point.  It's asking a lot, though, and putting a lot of pressure on such a young guy to be the savior for the team's pitching staff.  Sort of unfair, in a way.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #466 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »

Yeah it's kind of strange how they've handled him this year though.  They pretty much knew they were eventually gonna use him as a starter this season, yet they began the year with him as the setup guy.  Then it became evident that they were in serious need of help in the rotation so they switched him over.  I'm sure they had some sort of inning restriction they didn't want him to top this season, not sure if he's close to that at this point.  It's asking a lot, though, and putting a lot of pressure on such a young guy to be the savior for the team's pitching staff.  Sort of unfair, in a way.

I agree completely, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's near that inning restriction point, that they throw Joba back in the pen. Bouncing back and forth with a young guy can mess with him, and I'm a little worried at what they're planning next. Since Phil Hughes will be coming back soon, Kennedy has been pitching good in AAA (although he's a AAAA player, have a fear he can't really get it done at the majors  no), and Carl Pavano, yes I said Carl Pavano, is coming back from arm troubles and he could help down the road.

My thoughts if Joba is at the inning restriction..

Moose, Pettite, Hughes, Kennedy, Ponson/Geise for the rotation.
Mariano, self explanatory.
In the pen they'll have Marte, Veras, Robertson, and Bruney who have all been doing not bad. Pavano can help there if he's healthy and comes back, not to mention Robertson who has been great, as well as Edwar who has been off and on. Like I said before, if Joba didn't return to the rotation he'd be great in the pen, IMO. Although, he may have some struggles adjusting from starting again? Who knows.

I think they'll right the ship (hopefully...) and end up alright pitching wise for the stretch until playoffs!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #467 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »

Well.....the reports are that after Dr. Andrews look see at Joba's shoulder...he's headed for a stint on the DL.

No word yet on just what's wrong...I'm sure we'll hear more tonight before/during the Yanks game.  And no word on WHICH DL (15 day, I hope).

That sucks...and likely ends the Yanks bid to make the playoffs this year.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #468 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

Well.....the reports are that after Dr. Andrews look see at Joba's shoulder...he's headed for a stint on the DL.

No word yet on just what's wrong...I'm sure we'll hear more tonight before/during the Yanks game.  And no word on WHICH DL (15 day, I hope).

That sucks...and likely ends the Yanks bid to make the playoffs this year.

Rotator cuff tendenitis same thing Posada had. Hopefully Joba's won't require surgery. At least its not our worst fears Tommy John surgery. I still expect he will at least miss the rest of this month. He's not even gonna be allowed to throw for a week. So you figure the throwing program could last a week or two. Then he'll need 2 or 3 rehab starts if all goes ok.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #469 on: August 06, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »

Pudge just got roughed up at a play at the plate, got lifted for a pinch hitter in third. REALLY hope it's just a bad charlie horse and he doesn't have anything serious.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #470 on: August 06, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »

Yeah he looked like he was hurting i would be too that was some collision. I hope he's ok.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #471 on: August 06, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »

Did you guys catch this crazy play in the Red Sox/Royals game last night?  I'm sure they replayed it on the highlight shows countless times, so you probably did.  But just in case.  Here it is.  Never seen a play like this before, similar to the ball Youkilis hit against the Yankees that Damon nearly caught, banged into the wall, and the ball teetered on top of the wall.  This is a variation of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdPJsc8dLg

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #472 on: August 06, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »

Did you guys catch this crazy play in the Red Sox/Royals game last night?  I'm sure they replayed it on the highlight shows countless times, so you probably did.  But just in case.  Here it is.  Never seen a play like this before, similar to the ball Youkilis hit against the Yankees that Damon nearly caught, banged into the wall, and the ball teetered on top of the wall.  This is a variation of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdPJsc8dLg

Haha oh man i hadn't seen that. That was funny i don't think i've ever seen a ball roll along a wall like that before.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #473 on: August 07, 2008, 04:54:21 AM »

I was watching the Yankees today and Man I hate Alex Rodriguez.

Has there ever been a player in MLB history that has more insignificant stats than this guy?

Seriously, If he isn't the least clutch hitter in  MLB I dont know who is.

He is the king of the 10-1  HR, or going 5-5 in a blowout

When the game is on the or a close game, dude SUCKS. I dont know how many times over the past 2 weeks I've seen him strike out with runners in scoring position. Dude's stats are absolutely MEANINGLESS.Don't even get me started about the postseason.

The Yanks never should've gave A Rod that kind of money as it kills Team Chemistry. Hard for Jeter to be the "CAPTAIN" when A Rod is clearly the Yankees choice.

I would've let him walk and I would've signed Johan Santana and saved some cash to grab CC Sabathia next season.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #474 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »

First off I'm a huge gAy-Rod hater.  BUT, even I have to admit the guy is a damn good baseball player.  And he hasn't been the most clutch player througout his career, but he did have plenty of big hits and game winners last year.  Not sure about this year.  I will say this though.  His recent playoff performances have been pretty horrendous, and the Yankees are all about producing in the post season.  Also, money is never a problem with the Yankees.  With all the dollars they threw at Alex, they'll still have plenty left over to throw at CC, Texeira, whoever.  The day the Yankees cut back on payroll is a long way off.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #475 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »

gAy-Rod

My lameness is rubbing off on people!  Grin

Seriously, I don't understand his existence on the diamond either.  He's as useful as a space heater on a hot summer day.

If he doesn't produce this year, he won't be around in the Bronx much longer.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #476 on: August 07, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »

Guy has great fantasy stats but he just doesnt come through. I guarantee 90 percent of his home runs for his career have came with either a huge lead or a blowout loss.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2008, 03:12:34 AM »

Guy has great fantasy stats but he just doesnt come through. I guarantee 90 percent of his home runs for his career have came with either a huge lead or a blowout loss.

Faye-Rod is totally bush.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #478 on: August 11, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »

Bud Selig is investigating Manny's departure from Boston.  I'm not sure exactly what can come of this, but I think it was pretty evident that Manny and Boras had the intention of pissing off the Sox to the point of no return so they had to trade him.  Mission accomplished, hopefully they can be punished somehow.  Moreso Boras than Ramirez, as I would imagine he was the brains behind this operation.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/source_mlb_inve.html

Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

The Red Sox had an option to retain Ram?rez in 2009 for $20 million. They had the same option for 2010. Ram?rez, who will turn 37 next season, wanted to be a free agent at the end of this season. His agent wanted the same thing. Boras inherited Ram?rez's old contract and stood to earn nothing until Manny signed a new one. It was in the interest of the player and the agent to have the options dropped.

Manny's only leverage was withholding services and playing at half speed. So that's what he did. Sitting out games against Seattle and the Yankees, jogging down the first base line (and maybe even looking at those three strikes against Mariano Rivera), he sent the message that he wanted out. He made sure the Sox knew he could not be trusted to play hard if they kept him until the end of the season with the options intact.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #479 on: August 12, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »

Bud Selig is investigating Manny's departure from Boston.  I'm not sure exactly what can come of this, but I think it was pretty evident that Manny and Boras had the intention of pissing off the Sox to the point of no return so they had to trade him.  Mission accomplished, hopefully they can be punished somehow.  Moreso Boras than Ramirez, as I would imagine he was the brains behind this operation.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/source_mlb_inve.html

Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

The Red Sox had an option to retain Ram?rez in 2009 for $20 million. They had the same option for 2010. Ram?rez, who will turn 37 next season, wanted to be a free agent at the end of this season. His agent wanted the same thing. Boras inherited Ram?rez's old contract and stood to earn nothing until Manny signed a new one. It was in the interest of the player and the agent to have the options dropped.

Manny's only leverage was withholding services and playing at half speed. So that's what he did. Sitting out games against Seattle and the Yankees, jogging down the first base line (and maybe even looking at those three strikes against Mariano Rivera), he sent the message that he wanted out. He made sure the Sox knew he could not be trusted to play hard if they kept him until the end of the season with the options intact.

I hope they do something to Boras that guy is complete scum.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: