Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 04:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200348 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #440 on: August 02, 2008, 02:14:58 AM »

I'm sorry, Archie I've gotta disagree with you a bit here.  While adding Pudge is a plus for the Yanks, I certainly don't see it as the "missing piece".  Even if he does improve their offensive output at the catcher position (how many teams have good hitting catchers anyway) they still are not flawless in all other areas.  I suggest you re=evaluate their roster.  Again I'm not saying they're a bad team, they have obviously improved their team with the recent trades, but they needed to do so.  They weren't a playoff caliber team before, now they MAY have reached that level.  It's still gonna be a fight though.  Pudge of 1997 may have put them over the top, but Pudge 2008, I'm sorry he's just a slight improvement.

He's better than Molina!

Bay had a nice debut for Boston, helping them win the game and all.

I think he and Molina are pretty even these days defensively at least. I think he's better offensively though.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #441 on: August 02, 2008, 02:31:27 AM »

I'm sorry, Archie I've gotta disagree with you a bit here.  While adding Pudge is a plus for the Yanks, I certainly don't see it as the "missing piece".  Even if he does improve their offensive output at the catcher position (how many teams have good hitting catchers anyway) they still are not flawless in all other areas.  I suggest you re=evaluate their roster.  Again I'm not saying they're a bad team, they have obviously improved their team with the recent trades, but they needed to do so.  They weren't a playoff caliber team before, now they MAY have reached that level.  It's still gonna be a fight though.  Pudge of 1997 may have put them over the top, but Pudge 2008, I'm sorry he's just a slight improvement.

He's better than Molina!

I think he and Molina are pretty even these days defensively at least. I think he's better offensively though.
There's no doubt Pudge is better offensively than Molina.  That's not even a question.  Even though he doesn't hit for power much anymore, he's still a solid overall hitter.  I think Molina's actually better defensively though.  I just am not convinced that that was a huge NEED for the Yanks.  As much as I thought Farnsworth sucked as a Yankee, he was pitching pretty well and their bullpen was working together nicely.  Now they've gone and taken someone out of the mix, regardless of how much I think he sucked, that could alter things a little.  Is it worth gaining a little offensively from a position virtually no team has much offense at?

Okay, the answer is most likely yes.  Pudge is better than Farnsworth.  I just don't think it's as big a deal as some have made it out to be.

And Bay did have a nice debut tonight with a clutch hit.  Good for him.  I hope Lowell isn't inured too badly though.  That'd be a huge blow.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #442 on: August 02, 2008, 02:46:33 AM »

He's better than Molina!

There's no doubt Pudge is better offensively than Molina.  That's not even a question.  Even though he doesn't hit for power much anymore, he's still a solid overall hitter.  I think Molina's actually better defensively though.  I just am not convinced that that was a huge NEED for the Yanks.  As much as I thought Farnsworth sucked as a Yankee, he was pitching pretty well and their bullpen was working together nicely.  Now they've gone and taken someone out of the mix, regardless of how much I think he sucked, that could alter things a little.  Is it worth gaining a little offensively from a position virtually no team has much offense at?

Okay, the answer is most likely yes.  Pudge is better than Farnsworth.  I just don't think it's as big a deal as some have made it out to be.

And Bay did have a nice debut tonight with a clutch hit.  Good for him.  I hope Lowell isn't inured too badly though.  That'd be a huge blow.

I think it was a pretty even trade off. Pudge probably is a little better than Farnsworth. Even with Farnsworth doing pretty well this year i still cringed whenever he would enter the game if it was really close. What's puzzling me a little more right now is what is with Mo giving up runs when behind or tied. He did it against baltimore a few days ago and tonight allowed the only run of the game. I can't blame it all on him cause well our offense has to actually score to win the game.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #443 on: August 02, 2008, 02:50:36 AM »

He's better than Molina!

Red Sox 3B Mike Lowell strained his right hip beating out his single in the 10th and Francona said he would be checked Saturday. Thats all the news i can find on the Lowell injury doesn't seem to be too serious.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #444 on: August 02, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »

He's better than Molina!

Red Sox 3B Mike Lowell strained his right hip beating out his single in the 10th and Francona said he would be checked Saturday. Thats all the news i can find on the Lowell injury doesn't seem to be too serious.
Yeah it doesn't appear to be serious, but apparently it's been something that's bothered him for some time and he tweaked it last night.  He may have an MRI today.  As for Jason Bay's debut last night.  Fenway fans showered him with 3 standing ovations, good to see.  He made a diving catch in left, one similar to the one Manny turned into a triple last week when he dove, missed, and rolled over onto the ball.  And Bay's triple in the 12th was off the top of the wall.  Manny probably would've stood at home plate thinking it was a homer, and probably getting a double instead of a triple.  Meanwhile Manny grounded out into a DP in the ninth and lacked a little hustle in the outfield playing a double into a triple.  Gotta look at the positives while I can, before Manny starts to explode like I know he will.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #445 on: August 02, 2008, 06:42:24 PM »

He's better than Molina!

Yeah it doesn't appear to be serious, but apparently it's been something that's bothered him for some time and he tweaked it last night.  He may have an MRI today.  As for Jason Bay's debut last night.  Fenway fans showered him with 3 standing ovations, good to see.  He made a diving catch in left, one similar to the one Manny turned into a triple last week when he dove, missed, and rolled over onto the ball.  And Bay's triple in the 12th was off the top of the wall.  Manny probably would've stood at home plate thinking it was a homer, and probably getting a double instead of a triple.  Meanwhile Manny grounded out into a DP in the ninth and lacked a little hustle in the outfield playing a double into a triple.  Gotta look at the positives while I can, before Manny starts to explode like I know he will.

Well what Bay did in his debut is a lot of positive to look at. You got a guy who will play hard no matter what.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #446 on: August 02, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »

According to the Boston Globe, Manny Ramirez promised the Red Sox he would behave and like to play the remainder of the season with the team AFTER he was traded.  And of course now, after ONE day in LA, he says that he loves it there and would like to finish his career there.  I think Manny would enjoy, as he said, playing in Iraq.  It really doesn't matter where he is, he knows how to have a good time.  Although he wasn't having a good time the last 2 weeks in Boston, which makes his plea a bit strange.  It shouldn't get to the point where you need your agent to tell your employer that he will behave.  The Sox obviously felt they couldn't trust Manny at his word and that too many bridges had been burned.  It was impossible for the relationship to persist.  I view this whole saga as a breakup in which the guy (Manny) wants out of a relationship but doesn't want to look like the bad guy.  Therefore he does all he can to piss off his girlfriend (Red Sox) to the point where she has no choice but to break it off herself.  And then the guy goes on to play the innocent victim, claiming that he was willing to work things out.  We're not buying it Manny.  And again, good luck in Los Angeles and wherever you choose to go after that (New York Mets).

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/02/ramxedrez_lobbied_to_stay/

Jason Bay had another nice game tonight, hitting his first homerun with the Sox.  Sox finally got the bats going tonight which was good to see.  The A's are struggling right now so they came to Boston at a perfect time.  I still contend the Sox will be able to score runs, it's all gonna come down to their pitching.  2 solid performances these last 2 nights.

And as for the Yankees, Molina started today and they won.  Pudge started the previous 2 and they lost.  I know it's a small sample and is pretty meaningless but you might want to keep an eye on that.  They said today that Mussina had said that Molina was the best catcher he has ever worked with.  The pitchers seem to love the guy and the results speak for themselves.  Pudge hasn't always had the reputation as a pitcher's best friend.  Just something to keep in mind.  And I do understand the Yanks felt like Molina might break down if he played every day so they needed some insurance.  That's fine, I just question which guy makes the team better on a given day.

Update:  Manny just hit his first homer with the Dodgers, a 2 run shot in the first inning.  He's off to quite the start at the plate in his NL career.  3 for his first 5.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:33:46 PM by faldor » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #447 on: August 03, 2008, 02:06:33 AM »

According to the Boston Globe, Manny Ramirez promised the Red Sox he would behave and like to play the remainder of the season with the team AFTER he was traded.  And of course now, after ONE day in LA, he says that he loves it there and would like to finish his career there.  I think Manny would enjoy, as he said, playing in Iraq.  It really doesn't matter where he is, he knows how to have a good time.  Although he wasn't having a good time the last 2 weeks in Boston, which makes his plea a bit strange.  It shouldn't get to the point where you need your agent to tell your employer that he will behave.  The Sox obviously felt they couldn't trust Manny at his word and that too many bridges had been burned.  It was impossible for the relationship to persist.  I view this whole saga as a breakup in which the guy (Manny) wants out of a relationship but doesn't want to look like the bad guy.  Therefore he does all he can to piss off his girlfriend (Red Sox) to the point where she has no choice but to break it off herself.  And then the guy goes on to play the innocent victim, claiming that he was willing to work things out.  We're not buying it Manny.  And again, good luck in Los Angeles and wherever you choose to go after that (New York Mets).

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/02/ramxedrez_lobbied_to_stay/

Jason Bay had another nice game tonight, hitting his first homerun with the Sox.  Sox finally got the bats going tonight which was good to see.  The A's are struggling right now so they came to Boston at a perfect time.  I still contend the Sox will be able to score runs, it's all gonna come down to their pitching.  2 solid performances these last 2 nights.

And as for the Yankees, Molina started today and they won.  Pudge started the previous 2 and they lost.  I know it's a small sample and is pretty meaningless but you might want to keep an eye on that.  They said today that Mussina had said that Molina was the best catcher he has ever worked with.  The pitchers seem to love the guy and the results speak for themselves.  Pudge hasn't always had the reputation as a pitcher's best friend.  Just something to keep in mind.  And I do understand the Yanks felt like Molina might break down if he played every day so they needed some insurance.  That's fine, I just question which guy makes the team better on a given day.

Update:  Manny just hit his first homer with the Dodgers, a 2 run shot in the first inning.  He's off to quite the start at the plate in his NL career.  3 for his first 5.

I'm not buying a word manny says personally.

Bay seems to be working out quite nicely for you guys so far.

I'm not sure you can point to Pudge for those two losses. I mean the first game Pettitte has that one bad inning the third where he gave up the two 3 run homers other then that inning he was good. If he doesn't give those up we tie that game in the ninth. Ponson pitched well in the other game the offense just didn't help him out. Today Moose was just absolutely lights out. Maybe that had something to do with Molina but i guess we can't say for sure until he catches Moose if he does. Tomorrow is Rasner he makes me nervous especially against Lackey.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #448 on: August 03, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »

I think Pudge WAS a factor with Pettite.  They just couldn't get in synch....but to be fair, Pudge had been a Yank for about 24 hours.

But with Ponson?  C'mon....he got Ponson to pitch 7 innings of shut out baseball.  You can't blame him for the offense not being able to put up runs.

And I wouldn't take much away from today's game, either.  Rasner's not been very good, of late.  I expect it might get ugly.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #449 on: August 03, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »

I think Pudge WAS a factor with Pettite.  They just couldn't get in synch....but to be fair, Pudge had been a Yank for about 24 hours.

But with Ponson?  C'mon....he got Ponson to pitch 7 innings of shut out baseball.  You can't blame him for the offense not being able to put up runs.

And I wouldn't take much away from today's game, either.  Rasner's not been very good, of late.  I expect it might get ugly.....

And you were correct 14-9 but hey the offense showed up and we won thats what matters.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #450 on: August 03, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »

Your Gaylos don't seem so tough now, do they?!

Go everyone except Anaheim and the Sux.

OK, childish lameness aside...the Yankees are coming alive like I thought they would.  Anaheim has nothing on formidable opponents east of the Mississippi.

Manny is doing OK so far, but it can't continue.  He's wearing a Dodger uniform, bad things WILL happen, unfortunately.

The NL East is shaping up to be a great race.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #451 on: August 03, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

OK, childish lameness aside...the Yankees are coming alive like I thought they would.  Anaheim has nothing on formidable opponents east of the Mississippi.

Manny is doing OK so far, but it can't continue.  He's wearing a Dodger uniform, bad things WILL happen, unfortunately.

In the Angles defense, they were playing great on a lengthy road trip.  It wasn't likely to last the whole way through.  A little lethargic the last 2 days.  And Manny is breathing life into the Dodgers.  I'd expect that to continue, he knows the next 2 months mean a lot as far as his free agent status goes.  Granted he'd get paid regardless, because he's a great hitter whether he hits .400 or .200 these last 2 months.  But 2 monster months could give him something closer to the 100 million dollar contract he's dreaming of.

As for the Yanks and Pudge/Molina.  I didn't mean to take THREE measly games and make an assumption that Molina is better for the team.  I just said, keep an eye on that for the future.  Any Yankee fan know what the team's record is with Molina catching this season?  That would prove or disprove my theory.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #452 on: August 03, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »

In the Angles defense, they were playing great on a lengthy road trip.  It wasn't likely to last the whole way through.  A little lethargic the last 2 days.  And Manny is breathing life into the Dodgers.  I'd expect that to continue, he knows the next 2 months mean a lot as far as his free agent status goes.  Granted he'd get paid regardless, because he's a great hitter whether he hits .400 or .200 these last 2 months.  But 2 monster months could give him something closer to the 100 million dollar contract he's dreaming of.

As for the Yanks and Pudge/Molina.  I didn't mean to take THREE measly games and make an assumption that Molina is better for the team.  I just said, keep an eye on that for the future.  Any Yankee fan know what the team's record is with Molina catching this season?  That would prove or disprove my theory.

Thats a good question i'd have to think the record is pretty good but he has caught most of the games as well. I guess we'll have to see how our record is with Pudge catching over the last two months to see for sure.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #453 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »

Thats a good question i'd have to think the record is pretty good but he has caught most of the games as well. I guess we'll have to see how our record is with Pudge catching over the last two months to see for sure.
I did a quick count today and came up with something like 31-26 with Molina starting.  That would leave them 30-24 with others.  So they're about equal, actually slightly better with "others".  I would think they should start Molina when Mussina and Pettitte pitch at the very least.  Obviously Moose prefers him so that's a no brainer.  And the offense is needed when Ponson and Rasner pitch, not so much with Joba and Pettitte. 

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #454 on: August 04, 2008, 12:44:15 AM »

I did a quick count today and came up with something like 31-26 with Molina starting.  That would leave them 30-24 with others.  So they're about equal, actually slightly better with "others".  I would think they should start Molina when Mussina and Pettitte pitch at the very least.  Obviously Moose prefers him so that's a no brainer.  And the offense is needed when Ponson and Rasner pitch, not so much with Joba and Pettitte. 

Wow that is pretty even of course you can't factor Pudge into that just yet since he's only caught a few so far. It looks like he is going to catch Joba tomorrow against the rangers. I hope that works out well Joba's last start against texas wasn't stellar. I agree especially if a pitcher prefers one to the other let him use who he's comfortable with. Yeah its definitely needed when those two pitch moreso Rasner though Ponson can pitch well. I don't think Rasner is going to have his spot much longer if he doesn't turn it around with Kennedy pitching well at scranton. He may get another shot.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »

Too bad about Joba.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #456 on: August 05, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »

Stiff shoulder, miss a turn in the rotation and he'll be fine. He hasn't thrown this many innings (starting wise) in a longgg time, if ever.

Being optomisic? Cheesy
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #457 on: August 05, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »

I think he'll be ok it had to of happened when he had to get the hell out of the way quick. If the yankees medical staff thought it was anything more then a stiff arm he'd already be set to have an MRI tomorrow.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

I think he'll be ok it had to of happened when he had to get the hell out of the way quick. If the yankees medical staff thought it was anything more then a stiff arm he'd already be set to have an MRI tomorrow.

Well...he is.

He was on a flght back to New York and will have tests today.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

Boston are so stupid,

CURSE of Manny Ramirez coming right up.

See u in another 86 years Boston!