Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 10:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228491 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200537 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2008, 08:07:27 PM »

Yeah that was a pretty poor at bat for Manny.  I think he half expected to be walked or pitched around at least.  And it appeared they wanted to come up and in on the first pitch but it wasn't that far up or in and was good for strike one.  Then he went outside with strike 2.  Then maybe Manny expected Rivera to waste one on 0-2, but he went right back and painted the outside corner.  Rivera is ridiculous.  Age doesn't seem like it's ever gonna catch up with him.  I still don't understand how he's SO effective with ONE pitch, but I think I'll give up trying to comprehend that.  Anyhow, Manny came up with a big hit last night so maybe he'll start to turn a corner.  He's been a streaky hitter through his career, especially in the last few years.  He'll start ripping the ball again, it's just a matter of time.  But recently he's been hitting like Julio Lugo.

Its amazing what he's been able to do so consistently over the last decade with basically one pitch even though he has added a few others in recent years he still relies mostly on the cutter. I'm starting to wonder if age will catch up with him either, at 38 he is quite honestly having the best season of his great career. I still think though no matter what he's playing out his last contract. I really believe after the 2010 season he'll hang it up and wait for the call from cooperstown 5yrs later. Which will be good for every team not named the yankees. They are gonna miss him so much. I feel bad for whoever replaces him. How do you replace a legend. Manny will definitely come around he's too good not too.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #321 on: July 14, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »

going to the home run derby tonight..it's a shame A-Rod won't be in it. MLB wanted him to be the centerpiece of their operation here, but he turned them down.

should be fun regardless!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #322 on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:29 AM »

going to the home run derby tonight..it's a shame A-Rod won't be in it. MLB wanted him to be the centerpiece of their operation here, but he turned them down.

should be fun regardless!
Have a good time.  You going to the game tomorrow night?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #323 on: July 14, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »

we have tickets through a friend, but IDK if I can make it because of work.
i'll be kicking myself in the ass the whole night if I can't go...  Undecided
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #324 on: July 14, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »

we have tickets through a friend, but IDK if I can make it because of work.
i'll be kicking myself in the ass the whole night if I can't go...  Undecided

Dude, you don't miss these things.

Where are you sitting for the Derby?  Will you be in a position to catch some balls?

I hope someone hits it over the frieze!
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #325 on: July 14, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »

There's a nice little articcle over at espn.com bashing A-Rod for not taking part in tonights HR Derby.
The dude can play, that's for sure but i don't understand anything he does off the field.

link to article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3485597&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #326 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »

Who gives a shit if he doesn't participate in the stupid and very boring home run derby.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #327 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:46 PM »

"stupid and very boring home run derby"

Josh Hamilton has something to say about that.  What a show he put on in the 1st round.  A-Rod who?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #328 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:37 PM »

Hamilton is a beast

He had the crowd in awe

Incredible showing
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #329 on: July 14, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »

Josh Hamilton was the best part of it other then that it just dragged on like all the others. They need to make it shorter it shouldn't take the length of a full game to have a homerun derby. The players get too tired.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #330 on: July 15, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »

it was great! had seats behind homeplate in the tier, but perfect position to see everything!

got a call about tomorrow though when I was there, friend's tickets that we 'had' are going to be used by my friend and his wife and their 2 kids. they didn't think they could go but they could, so they're going.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #331 on: July 15, 2008, 01:22:20 AM »

it was great! had seats behind homeplate in the tier, but perfect position to see everything!

got a call about tomorrow though when I was there, friend's tickets that we 'had' are going to be used by my friend and his wife and their 2 kids. they didn't think they could go but they could, so they're going.

Thats too bad you aren't going to get to use the tickets for the game.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2008, 02:18:26 AM »

Who gives a shit if he doesn't participate in the stupid and very boring home run derby.

It's not stupid.

He's a Yankee.

It's the last ever All Star Game at Yankee Stadium.  He should represent the team.

He's a fucking pussy and a disgrace to the organization.  He doesn't deserve to wear the pinstripes.

The Bleacher Creatures will turn on him one day and call him Gay-Rod during roll call.

And his excuse is completely bogus.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

It's not stupid.

He's a Yankee.

It's the last ever All Star Game at Yankee Stadium.  He should represent the team.

He's a fucking pussy and a disgrace to the organization.  He doesn't deserve to wear the pinstripes.

The Bleacher Creatures will turn on him one day and call him Gay-Rod during roll call.

I gotta agree

This just showed further why there will always be this "dis-connect" between A-Rod and the fans

It would have been pretty special to see him out there - He just doesn't get it
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »

It's not stupid.

He's a Yankee.

I gotta agree

This just showed further why there will always be this "dis-connect" between A-Rod and the fans

Eh......

I'm a Yanks fan.

I would have liked to see him out there.

I don't care that he refused, though, either.  I'm not sure what the overwhelming feeling of Yanks fans are, but the ones I socialize/talk with all seem to feel the same way...who cares?  The media (and the fans of other teams...which is freaking bizarre)  seems to care more than we do....but maybe that's just our perception.

Honestly, at the end of the day, we're 6 out of first, 5 1/2 out of the wildcard.   Whether it actually fucks up his swing, whether he thinks it does (which is the same thing, with Arod), or whether he just wanted an extra day schtupping Maddona back at her flat.....we want him happy, healthy, and hitting for US during the games that count.  Given how banged up the team (including Arod) has been.....I say take the extra day off and rest the guns.  He can tell the press whatever bullshit story he wants to (true or not)...I don't care.

But that's just me.

PS: Keep in mind, Arod's talking to Abreu every day.....and that's first hand proof (and Bobby tells anyone who will listen) that winning the derby will change your swing.   smoking
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:15:40 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #335 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »

It's not stupid.

He's a Yankee.

I gotta agree

Eh......

I'm a Yanks fan.

I would have liked to see him out there.

I don't care that he refused, though, either.  I'm not sure what the overwhelming feeling of Yanks fans are, but the ones I socialize/talk with all seem to feel the same way...who cares?  The media (and the fans of other teams...which is freaking bizarre)  seems to care more than we do....but maybe that's just our perception.

Honestly, at the end of the day, we're 6 out of first, 5 1/2 out of the wildcard.   Whether it actually fucks up his swing, whether he thinks it does (which is the same thing, with Arod), or whether he just wanted an extra day schtupping Maddona back at her flat.....we want him happy, healthy, and hitting for US during the games that count.  Given how banged up the team (including Arod) has been.....I say take the extra day off and rest the guns.  He can tell the press whatever bullshit story he wants to (true or not)...I don't care.

But that's just me.

PS: Keep in mind, Arod's talking to Abreu every day.....and that's first hand proof (and Bobby tells anyone who will listen) that winning the derby will change your swing.   smoking

I'm glad someone agreed with me. I think people just will look for anything to bash him for even something as trivial as a homerun hitting contest that doesn't matter at all. And yeah it definitely affected Abreu. All you gotta do is look at his numbers before the derby and the ones after it.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #336 on: July 15, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »

Anyone here with HDTV having issues with fox? I am having major pixelation and audio dropouts and its pissing me off.  rant
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #337 on: July 15, 2008, 11:19:53 PM »

Classless NY media and Yankee fans for hurling insults at Jonathan Papelbon and his pregnant wife due to the defaming Daily News headline "PapelBUM". 
I know they come up with these racy headlines to sell papers, but that's over the line.  Papelbon's comments did not deserve the negative attention it received.  Once again, the media shows its tra hy side.  How pathetic!

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #338 on: July 16, 2008, 12:30:20 AM »

What do you expect when he says he should close the all star game and not Rivera? He has a history of saying stupid shit. So no sympathy here. What a game though. Is this gonna be another tie? Who gets home field in the series if it does.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »

this game is endless...hihi
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: