Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 04:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200721 times)
RebelRose89
Rocker

It's Showtime!

« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »

G. Floyd looks good once again... hopefully he can keep this up for the south siders!!!!

just chippin' in to add "Go Sox Go!"

Go Sabres - Go Bills - Go White Sox
G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »

What in the world is up with David Ortiz??? I mean WOW Big Papi, hit the freakin' ball!

It's only 12 games in for the SOX so far, so it's not like it's a huge problem right now. But damn, i'd be lying if I said I wasn't atleast a little concerned, it's like he can't hit anything  no

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »

Yanks unearth Sox jersey at new stadium

By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 59 minutes ago

NEW YORK - So much for the curse. The New York Yankees have ended a construction worker's attempt to jinx their new stadium with a buried Boston Red Sox jersey.
ADVERTISEMENT

Team officials watched Sunday as construction workers removed the jersey, with slugger David Ortiz's name on it, from 2 feet of concrete in a service corridor of the stadium that's under construction.

The team says a construction worker ? who is a Red Sox fan ? recently buried the jersey there while on the job. Two other supervisors found the tattered shirt Saturday.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080413/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankees_curse_foiled

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »

NEW YORK - So much for the curse. The New York Yankees have ended a construction worker's attempt to jinx their new stadium with a buried Boston Red Sox jersey.
ADVERTISEMENT

Team officials watched Sunday as construction workers removed the jersey, with slugger David Ortiz's name on it, from 2 feet of concrete in a service corridor of the stadium that's under construction.

The team says a construction worker ? who is a Red Sox fan ? recently buried the jersey there while on the job. Two other supervisors found the tattered shirt Saturday.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

What are the grounds for the lawsuit?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering with private property comes to mind.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »

I wish he got away with it.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Hope no other workers dropped a cigarette butt or a gum wrapper!

I read the story about this on ESPN...the best part was the quote about how the guy was "trying to do something really horrible."  That's not an exact quote, from the top of my head, but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

OH...and he totally should have buried a Red Sox Ruth jersey (do they sell those?).  Ortiz?  C'mon.   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 06:35:43 PM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

I read the story about this on ESPN...the best part was the quote about how the guy was "trying to do something really horrible."  That's not an exact quote, from the top of my head, but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

OH...and he totally should have buried a Red Sox Ruth jersey (do they sell those?).  Ortiz?  C'mon.   

Actually they do apparently. I have to admit i'm kinda surprised. http://cpacafe.dmipartners.com/z/13477/CD100/
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Actually they do apparently. I have to admit i'm kinda surprised. http://cpacafe.dmipartners.com/z/13477/CD100/

This story would have been much more interesting a few years ago.  What...the guy all broke up about his two championships in four years?

Now it's just noise.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2008, 08:08:01 AM »

Vandalism, tampering with private property...there's a couple of other routes they could go, too.

I'm not saying they'd win...but their's at least grounds.

The biggie would be if they could somehow demonstrate that the jersey being in the concrete somehow weakened it structurally.  Then the guy would be Screwed, with a capital S.

Honestly, I'd be less concerned with that, if I were the Yanks, and more concerned with who the hell is going to catch tonights game.  Posada's arm is DEAD (as you could see when he came in last night and the Sox were stealing on the first pitch...and there was NO throw from Posada), and now Molina tweaks a hammy.  Yikes, that's not good.

Oh, and why the hell Girardi let Mussina pitch to Manny on Saturday.  That move made NO sense to me, with first base open, up 2-1.  I was watching the game a home and could tell Moose was tiring out.  You either go to the pen for Manny, or you let Moose WALK him, and THEN go to the pen.  You don't pitch to the Sox hottest bat with a tired out pitcher.  That was just boneheaded.

Luckily, it's early in the season, and all of the AL East seems a little sluggish.  Nobody is running away early....but these are things the Yanks need to worry about.  ESPECIALLY the catcher situation......
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:14:06 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
G2N2R
Rocker

« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Well David Ortiz's slump, hitting .070, could be because of his jersey being buried there!  nervous

haha, I don't actually believe that, but someone said that and it made me smirk as it was a funny take on the whole "curse" thing, perhaps the guy who buried the jersey did the opposite of what he wanted and in fact cursed a player on the very team he loves. Good thing it got dug up  hihi

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Well David Ortiz's slump, hitting .070, could be because of his jersey being buried there!  nervous

haha, I don't actually believe that, but someone said that and it made me smirk as it was a funny take on the whole "curse" thing, perhaps the guy who buried the jersey did the opposite of what he wanted and in fact cursed a player on the very team he loves. Good thing it got dug up  hihi
Ortiz just got a single in his first AB against the Tribe tonight.  Progress being made to "reverse the curse".

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
G2N2R
Rocker

« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:01 AM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Ortiz just got a single in his first AB against the Tribe tonight.  Progress being made to "reverse the curse".

Yup, he got two bloop singles to left field. Thank god the removed that damned jersey, looks like Papi is on track to lead the league in batting average!  ok

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »

The New York Daily News - A 37-yard old Mets fan fell to his death in an accident at Shea Stadium on Tuesday night, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

Antonio Narainasami of Brooklyn fell four stories over the side of an escalator on the mezzanine level, in the view of his two young daughters.

"He was walking down the escalator holding the hand railing," a member of the family said. "He lost his footing."

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/9991/20080416/mets_fan_dies_in_escalator_fall_at_shea/

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2008, 12:28:38 AM »

Okay, I got another interesting trade offer in one of my fantasy leagues. 

Josh Beckett for Chipper Jones.

Now, my pitching is lacking an ace.  Right now my best is Adam Wainright.  Scott Olsen's off to a great start but I don't see that holding up.  Fausto Carmona has some control issues.  Scott Kazmir is due to come off the DL soon, so that'll be a boost.  Beckett would definitely improve my staff, but Chipper is off to a great start an if he can stay healthy he's one of the top 3B's in the game.  If I were to make the trade I'd have a large hole at 3B.  I have Ty Wigginton who I could put in their once he comes off the DL.  And I could pick up Scott Rolen as he's due off the DL this weekend, but I think he's seen better days.

As much as I love Beckett, I also love offense in fantasy baseball, and I'd be giving up a lot. 

Note:  I posted my entire team earlier in this thread a couple weeks back in case you'd like to reference that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »

Okay, I got another interesting trade offer in one of my fantasy leagues. 

Josh Beckett for Chipper Jones.

Now, my pitching is lacking an ace.  Right now my best is Adam Wainright.  Scott Olsen's off to a great start but I don't see that holding up.  Fausto Carmona has some control issues.  Scott Kazmir is due to come off the DL soon, so that'll be a boost.  Beckett would definitely improve my staff, but Chipper is off to a great start an if he can stay healthy he's one of the top 3B's in the game.  If I were to make the trade I'd have a large hole at 3B.  I have Ty Wigginton who I could put in their once he comes off the DL.  And I could pick up Scott Rolen as he's due off the DL this weekend, but I think he's seen better days.

As much as I love Beckett, I also love offense in fantasy baseball, and I'd be giving up a lot. 

Note:  I posted my entire team earlier in this thread a couple weeks back in case you'd like to reference that.

This is one of those trades I hate...a "kicking yourself at the end of the season" trade.  Because in hindsight if Beckett comes back, plays injury free for the rest of the season, and is lights out like he was last year (but has NOT been, so far, this year), you'll kick yourself.  If, alternately, you make the trade and Beckett spends much of the season with nagging injuries and Chipper has a close to MVP caliber, or even just excellent season....you'll likewise kick yourself.

In fantasy baseball, I usually side with the offense.  That's just the style I like to play....a "solid" rotation, but no ace...because your ace can only score you points once ever 5 days (granted, the right ace...like Beckett last year...can score you BIG point on those days), but your offensive players score just about every night.  Again, that's just my style and take on things.

Others are going to tell you to load up on pitching and let the offense take care of itself.  It's not unlike the varying managerial styles out there in the MLB now. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2008, 09:07:39 AM »

I hear you, I have the same thoughts on offense being a little more important than pitching in fantasy.  Beckett's off to a better start than his numbers indicate.  He pitched well for 4 innings his first start of the year then kind of hit a wall and Manny Delcarmen gave up a grand slam, so he was credited with giving up 5 runs.  And then 2 starts against the Yanks, giving up 3 runs in each isn't too shabby.  And there are doubters that he'll be able to make 30+ starts again this year, but the latest skip in the rotation was more due to the flu than anything else.  It's ripped its way through the Sox clubhouse lately.  Unfortunately, Chipper Jones has his own share of injury problems.  He seems to have a stay on the DL each season, the last couple years.  So I think the injury concerns are about equal.  I really like my offense now though, and my pitching is okay enough to contend.  Having to go with Rolen/Wigginton as everyday options could get scary.  So yeah, I'm leaning towards rejecting the trade.

western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »

The yanks return to cleveland tonight. a little redemption for the yanks perhaps? I think it will be a 2-2 series personally.

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »

Go Reds!!!

3 more until Griffey is @ 600

If he would never of gotten hurt (those 3 years where he only hit 43 homers combined) he would be doing 700 right now...

2001-2003 was a really tough time for Griff... I hope he can contine jacking 30-40 a year and break Bonds' record... because Griffey has controversy surrounding him...

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »

Jose Guillen is on fire. Raised his average 80 points this last week and about doubled his RBIs and HRs. Of course, no one notices or watches the Royals, but they are on the way back and actually have  a really good starting rotation, plus a killer bullpen. If they can get some offense they can hang around and compete all year, especially since Detroit is in the dumps and no one is going to run away with this division this year.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: