Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 04:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 200719 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »

I don't think there's a separate thread for fantasy baseball, so I'll post this here, for anyone who has an opinion.  I got this trade proposal today.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna reject it, unless I can be swayed otherwise.  I was offered Carlos Lee and Bronson Arroyo for Grady Sizemore.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »

I don't think there's a separate thread for fantasy baseball, so I'll post this here, for anyone who has an opinion.  I got this trade proposal today.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna reject it, unless I can be swayed otherwise.  I was offered Carlos Lee and Bronson Arroyo for Grady Sizemore.

As a Cubs fan, I'd be tempted by Carlos Lee, because he seems to have my team's number more than just about anyone else.  And he does play in a hitters park.  If you want power and RBIs, he's good for 30 and 100. 

Sizemore's below those numbers, though he's got higher OBP and gives you more stolen bases, and gets knocked in at a higher clip.

I guess it depends on what you want/need.

But I wouldn't do it unless you're desperate for more power.  Personally, I think Sizemore has a lot of power and RBI production for a guy who can also steal 30 bases.  He's a well rounded player that will help you in a lot of categories.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »

All things considered, you're really trading Lee for Sizemore, almost straight up.  Arroyo's not consistent enough to be counted on...theres' just no way of knowing how he'll perform this year, or for how long.

I'd stick with Sizemore.  He'll likely get in 20 to 30 more games than Lee will.  He'll likely hit close to the same average, maybe 5 less HR's (though we'll see...), and drive in maybe 20 less runs.  But he'll steal 20 to 25 more bases, and likely have a higher OBP than Lee will.  For my money, I think that adds up to sticking with Sizemore.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:23:27 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I feel the same.  My pitching is lacking a bit (Kazmir, Carmona, Wainright are my top 3 SP's), but I see Arroyo as just another average SP equal to many other guys on my staff.  It's a keeper league too, so Sizemore could be a candidate there.  Although it'd be between he and Hanley Ramirez.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

I don't know. If you were drafting fresh and you could've picked Lee or Sizemore, who would you have gone with?  They're pretty even players, production wise - I'd probably do the deal, because I like Lee's home park more and Sizemore strikes out so much, if that hurts in your league, then he could fall a notch.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

I picked Sizemore with my 1st selection in the 3rd round (10th overall, the first 2 rounds included our keepers - 28 total players).  Carlos Lee was selected 4 picks later.  K's don't matter in our league.  Sizemore may not be in as good a hitter's park but I like the lineup he's in a lot more than Houston's.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »

Tigers: 0-7. That's right, 0-7. I guess $138 mil don't buy what it used to.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »

They'll pull out of it.  That's a good team. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »

Not likely.  If they make the playoffs, I will send you a vinyl copy of CD.

The Dodgers are pretty lame at this moment.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2008, 11:09:52 PM »

i would do that deal in a second, cause i believe lee is more of a sure thing. and you're adding a pitcher with potential to give you several quality starts.

but to give a true opinion i'd need to see the rest of your roster, roster size, league scoring system (10 or 12 categories?), and # of owners in your league.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »

i would do that deal in a second, cause i believe lee is more of a sure thing. and you're adding a pitcher with potential to give you several quality starts.

but to give a true opinion i'd need to see the rest of your roster, roster size, league scoring system (10 or 12 categories?), and # of owners in your league.

I already rejected the trade, but it's a 14 team league, 25 players per team, all positions including LF, CF, and RF, with 2 Util.  2 SP's, 2 RP's, and 3 P's, with 7 bench spots.  There's actually 14 categories with odd offensive cat. (3B's) and 2 pitching cat's (holds and CG's)

Here's my team
C - K. Johjima
1B - C. Pena
2B - A. Hill
3B - C. Jones
SS - H. Ramirez
LF - N. McLouth
CF - G. Sizemore
RF - A. Rios
Util - R. Sexson (1B)
Util - D. Young (LF, CF, RF)
BN - T. Wigginton (1B, 2B, 3B)
BN - C. Duncan (1B, LF)

SP - A. Wainwright
SP - F. Carmona
RP - B. Lidge
RP - C.J. Wilson
P - T. Percival
P - J. Valverde
P - S. Downs
BN - D. Marte
BN - J. Guthrie
BN - J. Garland
BN - U. Jimenez
BN - C. Billingsley
BN - S. Olsen
DL - S. Kazmir
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:35:35 PM by faldor » Logged

sandman
Legend

« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »

arroyo is very valuable in such a deep league like yours. but it looks like you have real nice balance offensively. sizemore's steals and runs are probably more valuable to you than the increase you would get in power. although lee will likely have significantly better BA which would really help your team.

i would have done the trade, but it's also kinda early in the season to be pulling off a blockbuster.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2008, 12:03:35 AM »

arroyo is very valuable in such a deep league like yours. but it looks like you have real nice balance offensively. sizemore's steals and runs are probably more valuable to you than the increase you would get in power. although lee will likely have significantly better BA which would really help your team.

i would have done the trade, but it's also kinda early in the season to be pulling off a blockbuster.
Yeah I definitely thought about it.  Usually I get trade proposals and reject them in 2 seconds.  This one I had to ponder for at least a couple days.  I think Lee and Sizemore are pretty close in what they can give you, I just don't think Arroyo is enough of an improvement for my staff.  I mean I have a bunch of middle of the road starters, and he'd just be another one in that category.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2008, 07:05:06 AM »

I'll take you up on that. The Tigers are just off to a bad start, its 8 games in and people are talking about the Tigers being the worst team ever, Yankees not making the playoffs, Baltimore winning the AL East. *sigh* It's freaking EIGHT GAMES IN. Let time unfold and see what really happens.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »

I'll take you up on that. The Tigers are just off to a bad start, its 8 games in and people are talking about the Tigers being the worst team ever, Yankees not making the playoffs, Baltimore winning the AL East. *sigh* It's freaking EIGHT GAMES IN. Let time unfold and see what really happens.

The Yanks were, last season, 14 games out in June and tied for last place in the AL East.

They managed to make a run at the Sox and win the wild card.

It's a little early to write anyone off, especially a team with as much talent as Detroit.  Just like it's WAY too early to crown Baltimore the AL East champs.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »

I agree Detroit is too good to just lay down.  They'll make a run for sure.  Although they've dug themselves in quite a hole early on, it's gonna take some time to get back to the pack.

Everyone is aware of the crazy travel the Sox had to make early in the season, Japan, to LA to play a crazy exhibition game at the Coliseum, to Oakland, to Toronto, to home.  I wasn't aware though, the Yankees had an even more ridiculous trip the other night.  They played a night game at the Stadium on Monday night against Tampa.  Then after the game departed for KC (must've been 2am or thereabouts).  Then played a day game the next day for KC's opener.  They must've gotten 5 hours of sleep or so.  Who's making these schedules anyway?  Why didn't they play a day game on Monday, which they normally do on getaway day?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »

I agree Detroit is too good to just lay down.  They'll make a run for sure.  Although they've dug themselves in quite a hole early on, it's gonna take some time to get back to the pack.

Everyone is aware of the crazy travel the Sox had to make early in the season, Japan, to LA to play a crazy exhibition game at the Coliseum, to Oakland, to Toronto, to home.  I wasn't aware though, the Yankees had an even more ridiculous trip the other night.  They played a night game at the Stadium on Monday night against Tampa.  Then after the game departed for KC (must've been 2am or thereabouts).  Then played a day game the next day for KC's opener.  They must've gotten 5 hours of sleep or so.  Who's making these schedules anyway?  Why didn't they play a day game on Monday, which they normally do on getaway day?

The Yanks (due to the opening day rainout) play 20 straight to start the season.  After the opening homestand, they play the next 11 of 13 (the only 2 home games being against the Sox) on the road to end the 20 game stretch.  They get an off day and then play 7 more on the road before coming home.  It's a BRUTAL stretch to open the season with.....

They didn't play the "get away" game because, early in the season, week day day games are a tough sell to ANY team.  Given the way the schedule is running for the Yanks, you take the revenue the night game brings you because, well, for them the first 30 games of the season doesn't see too many home games. Add in parking issues with the construction going on and.....well, week day games at the Stadium aren't a great idea this early, especially.

I agree, though...brutal schedule making all around.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:48:26 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »

The Cubs have now played three extra inning games in their first eight.

They've played 10 extra innings.  That's gotta wear ya down.  It's like an extra game, with less rest.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »

The offer is only extended to freedom78.  hihi
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »

The Cubs have now played three extra inning games in their first eight.

They've played 10 extra innings.  That's gotta wear ya down.  It's like an extra game, with less rest.

Same with Pittsburgh (who the Cubs just beat in 15 the other night).  They're beating the shit out of their bullpen already.  That was a pretty kickass game too with Pittsburgh tying it up in the bottom of the 9th.....Chicago scoring two in the 14th and Pittsburgh coming back to also score 2 in the 14th. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: