Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 201622 times)
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »

I love spring training down here in Florida! So far I've seen the nationals, red sox, mets, orioles, marlins, and cardinals.

In the process of getting tickets from a broker for a yankees vs red sox game in boston over the summer... probably gonna almost 200 bucks a seat. :/

western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2008, 07:38:09 PM »

I love spring training down here in Florida! So far I've seen the nationals, red sox, mets, orioles, marlins, and cardinals.

In the process of getting tickets from a broker for a yankees vs red sox game in boston over the summer... probably gonna almost 200 bucks a seat. :/

Oh your children must love you.

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »

In the process of getting tickets from a broker for a yankees vs red sox game in boston over the summer... probably gonna almost 200 bucks a seat. :/*

you spoil your kids rotten you asshole!
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »

Is anyone excited that the season is starting in Japan on the 25th?

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »

It's cool, but stuff like that annoys me.

The season doesn't start anywhere but Cincinnati.  That's the tradition, and it's been fucked over the last few years. 

I understand it's a money situation, but the opening game needs to be in Cincy.  If they want a high profile "opening night" game (many seasons see the WS champ playing another good team).  This year they have Boston doing the Japan thing (not REALLY opening day) and then the Braves and Nats doing "opening night" a day before everyone else begins play. 

What they SHOULD do is have an opening day game at Cincy, and then an opening night game, later the same day, with the WS champ or another high profile team.  OR...if Cincy is good enough, put them in that opening night game.

Cincinnati has a beautiful, fairly new ballpark.  It's a power hitters park.  It would make for an exciting opener, with Cincy's usual thump against another team with some power (Mets, Cubs...whoever).

Respect tradition.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

I think its kinda stupid. The two teams that have to participate in these games get so tired the first few weeks of the season cause of this. I saw it with the yankees when they did it with tampa bay a few years back. They looked lethargic for weeks after returning.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:38 PM »

Not at all.

I'm sick and tired of all these gimmicks that they are employing.

The NHL started their season in London last year, and there was a regular season football game there as well.

THE NBA plays preseason games in Europe as well.

This fake crap needs to stop NOW.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »

How is that fake...

Each of these sports are trying to take advantage of international money. It only makes sense to move games into those markets to throw them a bone. Think about the number of European players in NBA and NHL... it is more money in merch and TV deals if you can get people into it with Live competition.

Also some leagues are seriously thinking about what it would cost to get a few Western European Teams in the mix... the flight from NY to London wouldn't be much different than NY to LA.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »

One week sports fans!

Opening day should be a national holiday.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »

How is that fake...

Each of these sports are trying to take advantage of international money. It only makes sense to move games into those markets to throw them a bone. Think about the number of European players in NBA and NHL... it is more money in merch and TV deals if you can get people into it with Live competition.

Also some leagues are seriously thinking about what it would cost to get a few Western European Teams in the mix... the flight from NY to London wouldn't be much different than NY to LA.

Bud Selig doesn't have to worry about the logistics of taking all their equipment to foreign countries across the ocean.  Must be a major headache for all the players and the team employees to do all that for the "good of the game."  Maybe Major League Baseball should worry about re-establishing itself in its home country of the United States.

Yeah, you're right.  It IS about the money.  Sounds pretty fake to me.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2008, 07:05:43 AM »

How is that fake...

Bud Selig doesn't have to worry about the logistics of taking all their equipment to foreign countries across the ocean.  Must be a major headache for all the players and the team employees to do all that for the "good of the game."  Maybe Major League Baseball should worry about re-establishing itself in its home country of the United States.

Yeah, you're right.  It IS about the money.  Sounds pretty fake to me.

professional sports is all about the money. doesn't matter when or where the games are played. if the money dries up, the league is done.

i'm enjoying watching this game in the a.m. can't believe the season is here already. i'm pumped! good stuff.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »

Well, since the Sox went 1-1 over in Japan, we can officially say that the Yanks will win the AL East and the Sox won't make the playoffs.  They'll (the Sox) only win 81 games.....

Right?

peace hihi

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »

Not after the Yanks lose their 1st game and are on pace to go 0-162.

Seriously though, Harden looked real good today, which is a good sign for one of my fantasy teams. That is, until he gets hurt.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »

Well, since the Sox went 1-1 over in Japan, we can officially say that the Yanks will win the AL East and the Sox won't make the playoffs.  They'll (the Sox) only win 81 games.....

Right?

peace hihi

We already have sports radio callers in Boston claiming that they are going to be a .500 team thru the All Star Break... AL East runs thru Toronto Smiley
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »

Right?

peace hihi

We already have sports radio callers in Boston claiming that they are going to be a .500 team thru the All Star Break... AL East runs thru Toronto Smiley
I have heard a lot of "experts" say the Sox will get off to a real slow start this year due to the Japan trip and the tough schedule to open the season.  So those calls may continue to come fast and furious if the "experts" are right.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

^Do not underestimate the effects of jet lag. I just got back from Moscow and I was completely wacked out for a week while I was there and then another 3-4 days when I returned. Japan is either farther, and is about a 14 hour difference, whereas Moscow was only 8 hours for me.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2008, 05:04:08 AM »

I don't see how the lag can't affect them. I saw it affect the yankees and drays a few years back.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »

I don't see how the lag can't affect them. I saw it affect the yankees and drays a few years back.
The Yankees have gotten off to slow starts the last couple of years, with or without trips to Japan.  The D-Rays (or just Rays now) have been a terrible team for their entire existence and slow starts are common with them as well.  I'm not saying, the trip won't effect the A's/Sox, but that's not exactly a fool proof explanation.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2008, 01:50:22 PM »

I expect a slow start. Not so much beacause of the Japan trip, but their rotation is a little shaky with Becket coming off of the back spasms. But to say that a World Series Winner with no major off season changes is going to go .500 81 games into the season without a crystal ball saying we are going to lose a significant number of players is insane. I can see them being .500 heading into May, but July?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »

Fucking rain delays.  rant

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: