Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR cover band names
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR cover band names  (Read 4718 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »

If I am hearing the Old GNR Classics, I prefer a note for note rendition

I have never hid the fact that I HATE RObin Finck's interpretation of Slash's solos. Sometimes I think he butchers them on purpose to rebel against having to play 90 percent of old stuff.

I love the new band when they play their NEW Stuff

but some of their solos November Rain and SCOM I cringe hearing them play the solos. They just don't have the style or heart to pull those songs off.

They do well on the fast songs but the slow ones are Horrible in my opinion.

If someone wants to do GNR for fun thats fine with me. I have no problems.

But when u are out there making money and a living pretending to be and living off someone elses invention. That pisses me off.

get your own thing.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »

Robin perfects the classic solos.    Cool    I get goosebumps everytime he does November Rain and everytime he belts out that intro to SCOM  smoking   If i wanted note for note rendition I'd listen to the album.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »

Robin perfects the classic solos.? ? Cool? ? I get goosebumps everytime he does November Rain and everytime he belts out that intro to SCOM? smoking? ?If i wanted note for note rendition I'd listen to the album.

There are times where guys add onto classic solos and make them their own

Robin basically on SCOM just holds a bunch of bends. He doesn't even really play any notes.

NR, Im not even gonna get started on that.  It is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate his herky jerky robotic sounding phrasing, its like he tries to improvise but has no idea what he wants to play so he kind of sounds like a novice tryin to create a solo on the fly.

That doesn't work when u are ruining an all time classic.

I love his guitar work on Better and the new songs

but the old Slow songs, I think he is bad,sloppy and just not good.

Have u heard the boot of "Sailing"  That has to be one of the worst solos Ive ever heard in my life.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »

Skogsal and the motherfucking pimpmasters Grin

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
JakeTheSnake
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »

I play keys in the Danish GNR tribute act Dust N' Bones. I've heard of a few GNR-covers with that name...

PS: The soundbites are pretty crappy, but we'll have new pro-recorded ones ready soon.  Cool
JeffK
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »

I'm from Saskatoon, Sk, Canada and there's a really good cover band from here called Mr. Brownstone. They play all over central and western Canada. I saw them earlier this year and they pull the whole gnr thing off very very well!!

2006: Edmonton
2010: Calgary
2010: Saskatoon
2012: Las Vegas (x2)
2014: Las Vegas (x2)
2016: Las Vegas
2016: Toronto
2017: Regina
2017: Edmonton
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 12:30:53 AM »

Robin perfects the classic solos.? ? Cool? ? I get goosebumps everytime he does November Rain and everytime he belts out that intro to SCOM? smoking? ?If i wanted note for note rendition I'd listen to the album.

Robin basically on SCOM just holds a bunch of bends. He doesn't even really play any notes.

NR, Im not even gonna get started on that.? It is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!? I hate his herky jerky robotic sounding phrasing, its like he tries to improvise but has no idea what he wants to play so he kind of sounds like a novice tryin to create a solo on the fly.

Have u heard the boot of "Sailing"? That has to be one of the worst solos Ive ever heard in my life.

My God D, sometimes I feel you and I are the only ones that see/hear this.  We are about to be flamed, I just feel it. I agree 100%.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 12:43:57 AM »

Bumblefoot should be the lead guitar player for all of SCOM and NR. He actually plays the song as it should go for the most part.

Robin needs to realize that u don't change something that is perfect and embedded in fans heads for almost 20 years.

When Im watching a boot, I will be rockin out feeling the fuck out of the new band and then the solo spots come and it just ruins it.  My face contorts like I just smelled a really bad fart because the solo just ruins it.

Im not saying Robin sucks, I am not bashing him

The solo work on the new songs are kick ass and the solos on the old Fast GNR songs are pretty kick ass.

but the melodic emotion filled solos are a different story.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 12:51:19 AM »

Bumblefoot should be the lead guitar player for all of SCOM and NR. He actually plays the song as it should go for the most part.

Robin needs to realize that u don't change something that is perfect and embedded in fans heads for almost 20 years.

When Im watching a boot, I will be rockin out feeling the fuck out of the new band and then the solo spots come and it just ruins it.? My face contorts like I just smelled a really bad fart because the solo just ruins it.

Im not saying Robin sucks, I am not bashing him

The solo work on the new songs are kick ass and the solos on the old Fast GNR songs are pretty kick ass.

but the melodic emotion filled solos are a different story.

Bumble is by the far the most talented player in GNR with Fortus second.  I agree Bumble should probably take the classic solos where note selection matters.  A solo where note selection can very would be the outro to Paradise City.  At that point you can shred as long as you are in key and its cool. 
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 02:09:44 AM »

bumblefoot is better for the fast shred style stuff like PC and nightrain.    Robin is best for the melodic stuff like his NR solo and he is fucking ace during Patience, I also think he does a better job on the mr brownstone solo than what was done previously.     Really, all 3 of these guys are talented and I like how they each bring their own style to the table.  They are all so different but they fit well together.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 02:14:33 AM »

bumblefoot is better for the fast shred style stuff like PC and nightrain.? ? Robin is best for the melodic stuff like his NR solo and he is fucking ace during Patience, I also think he does a better job on the mr brownstone solo than what was done previously.? ? ?Really, all 3 of these guys are talented and I like how they each bring their own style to the table.? They are all so different but they fit well together.

I agree with that last sentence for sure!
izzy*stradlin
Headliner

You Wanted TheBest,Well TheyDidn't Fuckin' Make It

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 06:55:42 AM »

we had a GNR/VR/STP cover band with my friend redburner, which we had named Bad Apples. this band was just 2 members
myself - on drumz and him on guitar (he's a huge Slash fan and really sounds pretty damn good!)
well he got married and he moved to live in Canada, so that broke up our project, even before we get started playing some clubs or something.
you can check some videos here:

Patience : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tn6uwEWujM
Mr. Brownstone : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ozHAiviBFc&feature=user
Rocket Queen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_FptUTFrMk&feature=user
It's So Easy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cduy3hCEaH4&feature=user

the good news is that now I have started a new GNR cover band, and we have rehearsed a couple of times, so crossed fingers, I hope this time we'll make it!!
PS I'm from Bulgaria Cool
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 07:28:13 AM »

Finck About You??

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »

Robin perfects the classic solos.    Cool    I get goosebumps everytime he does November Rain and everytime he belts out that intro to SCOM  smoking   If i wanted note for note rendition I'd listen to the album.

NR, Im not even gonna get started on that.  It is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hate his herky jerky robotic sounding phrasing, its like he tries to improvise but has no idea what he wants to play so he kind of sounds like a novice tryin to create a solo on the fly.

Have u heard the boot of "Sailing"  That has to be one of the worst solos Ive ever heard in my life.

i agree with this guy

ok

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »

If I remember correctly, Bumblefoot and Richard share lead guitar duties on November Rain, and Robin plays rhythm.

I can't remember if Robin even plays one of the solos during November Rain..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »

Skogsal and the motherfucking pimpmasters Grin

wow, can I join your band by any chance?  Grin

I don't care how much your band sucks or not I love the name.

I can never forget the Skogsal day.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 02:21:22 PM »

If I remember correctly, Bumblefoot and Richard share lead guitar duties on November Rain, and Robin plays rhythm.

I think he does.......... There are 3 as we all know, I think Richard plays one, Robin plays one and Bumble plays the outro.

Its one of those deals where the song is so embedded in my head, that anything that isnt what Im use to drives me crazy. Cause to me, u can't perfect something that is already perfect.

IT would be like someone covering Purple Rain by Prince and changing the guitar solo....... It just wouldn't work.

Im not dissing the GNR guitarists talents. Im one million percent sure they can play the solos note for note, its just they choose not to and what they replace the iconic legendary solo with is less than the original.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 02:40:54 PM »

I think he does.......... There are 3 as we all know, I think Richard plays one, Robin plays one and Bumble plays the outro.

Its one of those deals where the song is so embedded in my head, that anything that isnt what Im use to drives me crazy. Cause to me, u can't perfect something that is already perfect.

IT would be like someone covering Purple Rain by Prince and changing the guitar solo....... It just wouldn't work.

Im not dissing the GNR guitarists talents. Im one million percent sure they can play the solos note for note, its just they choose not to and what they replace the iconic legendary solo with is less than the original.

i love how each guitarist gets a solo in NR... it truly showcases the talent in this band.    you can sit there and say you want it note for note, but I can show you many many clips from the UYI tour where the solos weren't played note for note either.  watch the performance at the MTV awards 92, I've never heard Robin fuck it up that bad.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2008, 03:38:41 AM »

I saw a Motley/Poison/Guns N' Roses tribute the day after 9/11. I heard a rumor it wasn't the right band or something and the real one got stuck at the airport and couldn't fly out because of the previous days events. Anyway, "Bret Michales" obviously wasn't that into Poison cause he actually took off from stage once to grab a lyric sheet and sing from it.

Anyway, the point of all this is, they did GN'R last and ran out of tunes they knew pretty quickly.....It was still early, but a Wednesday night, so basically there were like 10 people in the joint by the time they ended with November Rain. Afterwards, when the 10 of us who stuck around to listen wanted more, they looked mighty confused and switched places, "Axl" was the drummer and 'Izzy" came up to sing and they did Born to be Wild and some other tune, I think maybe a Hip song and split.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Adam_Guill
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2008, 04:49:05 AM »

use your allusion
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: