Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  the Bon Jovi thread
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Bon Jovi thread  (Read 211526 times)
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #780 on: June 06, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »

I think bon jovi, while being a very successful band world wide and still popular by todays standards still doesn't have the respect from a lot of music critics and media as well as the average person.  I think the fact that when you talk about great bands with legacys you have The stones, beatles, led zep, the who, springsteen, U2 etc.... you really can't shit on them even if you don't like them much.  They have simply done too much and influenced too many bands and have had many critically acclaimed records and won several big awards. 

Bon Jovi on the other hand will NEVER get the respect those bands do (unless you're in NJ).  I think this really pisses JBJ off and is the reason behind some of his remarks (don't ask me to quote any, just going off memory here from stuff I've seen on this board and in some other newspaper clippings).  Simply put, hes jealous.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #781 on: June 06, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »

I think bon jovi, while being a very successful band world wide and still popular by todays standards still doesn't have the respect from a lot of music critics and media as well as the average person.  I think the fact that when you talk about great bands with legacys you have The stones, beatles, led zep, the who, springsteen, U2 etc.... you really can't shit on them even if you don't like them much.  They have simply done too much and influenced too many bands and have had many critically acclaimed records and won several big awards. 

Bon Jovi on the other hand will NEVER get the respect those bands do (unless you're in NJ).  I think this really pisses JBJ off and is the reason behind some of his remarks (don't ask me to quote any, just going off memory here from stuff I've seen on this board and in some other newspaper clippings).  Simply put, hes jealous.

You are absolutely right
sandman
Legend

« Reply #782 on: June 06, 2006, 09:13:01 PM »

why take cheap shots ay ANY other artist??

it's a pathetic move. and taking cheap shots at the greatest rock band ever makes you seem jealous.

and for the record, the stones haven't exactly been loved by the critics over the years. they rarely got good reviews. and were always criticized for their actions. they never won a grammy until recent years. think about that. never won a grammy in the 60's, 70's or 80's. and people are gonna try to say critics loved them???

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #783 on: June 07, 2006, 12:17:16 AM »

Bon Jovi will be in the hall of fame in 2008.

Trust Me
And what a sad day it will be. 

Anyone who thinks BJ are better than the stones needs to have their head checked. puke
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:20:17 AM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #784 on: June 07, 2006, 12:46:58 AM »

Trust Me
And what a sad day it will be. 

Anyone who thinks BJ are better than the stones needs to have their head checked. puke

Nah, BJ should be in the hall of fame.  The thing is, does that really matter to anyone?  Its just not as prestigious to me as the NFL HOF or the MLB HOF etc....    Rock N Roll HOF to me is like getting your star on the hollywood walk of fame...whoopee fucking doo.   I think those VH1 countdown shows carry more weight.

I'm not completely slamming BJ, I just think they're not on that upper level that they wish they were.

RichardNixon
« Reply #785 on: June 07, 2006, 07:46:53 AM »

Trust Me
And what a sad day it will be.?

Nah, BJ should be in the hall of fame.? The thing is, does that really matter to anyone?? Its just not as prestigious to me as the NFL HOF or the MLB HOF etc....? ? Rock N Roll HOF to me is like getting your star on the hollywood walk of fame...whoopee fucking doo.? ?I think those VH1 countdown shows carry more weight.

I'm not completely slamming BJ, I just think they're not on that upper level that they wish they were.

I seriously doubt Bon Jovi will get into the rock n' roll hall of fame. The R?R hall of fame is really for bands of the critics. Look at it this way, both KISS and Van Halen could have been inducted years ago, and they were passed up. But someone like Bonnie Raitt, the Cars, Blondie etc, get in. All good artists, but definitely artists that RS/SPIN/VH1 all rave about.

If KISS and Van Halen didn?t get in, no way BJ will get in.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #786 on: June 07, 2006, 07:48:43 AM »

As much as I dislike Bon Jovi, the man has a point folks...

The Rolling Bones *cough* Stones are touring on past glories and nostalgia for as looooong as humanly possible.

Let's face it, people, even the most diehard of Stones fans dont go to the shows to hear the new shit, they want the oldies...the classics they grew up with ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #787 on: June 07, 2006, 09:45:17 AM »

why take cheap shots ay ANY other artist??

You know you're on a GN'R board right ? Never heard Axl say anything about an-ybody else ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #788 on: June 07, 2006, 01:30:47 PM »

Likewise somebody could claim that Bon Jovi is a musical embarrassment at their age and hang it up.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #789 on: June 07, 2006, 01:48:37 PM »

this is hilarious, thank you for posting!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #790 on: June 07, 2006, 06:06:25 PM »

Likewise somebody could claim that Bon Jovi is a musical embarrassment at their age and hang it up.

That would be true if they still werent attracting new fans and still charting  extremely high on the charts.

Have A Nice Day debuted at number 2.

Who Says You cant Go home reached number 22 on the Billboard top 200, top 10 Adult Contemporary and the first rock band ever to hit number 1 on the country chart.

They are still relevant.

The Rolling Stones newest album has had exactly 0 hit singles.

See my point?

Jon simply said when the day comes that no one buys their new records and they have no more hits, its time to hang it up.

Its My Life which came out in 2000 was actually the most successful Bon Jovi song ever, so they are still making hit songs and are still relevant on the charts.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #791 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:51 PM »

That would be true if they still werent attracting new fans and still charting  extremely high on the charts.

Who Says You cant Go home reached number 22 on the Billboard top 200, top 10 Adult Contemporary and the first rock band ever to hit number 1 on the country chart.

They are still relevant.

See my point?

Jon simply said when the day comes that no one buys their new records and they have no more hits, its time to hang it up.

Its My Life which came out in 2000 was actually the most successful Bon Jovi song ever, so they are still making hit songs and are still relevant on the charts.

Well it depends on what you think is relevant. As I can see, relevant to you is hit singles and number of albums sold. So is Britney Spears relevant?

To me, relevant is when you have something to add to the world, or to music. The Stones once were relevant, today I agree they aren't. But Bon Jovi NEVER was relevant
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2006, 07:02:57 PM »

Trust Me
And what a sad day it will be.?

D?

That's a hatrick for Doull
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #793 on: June 07, 2006, 07:13:29 PM »

If everyone on this forum had the reading comprehension skills of Dick Purple ,this wouldnt even be an argument.

Thanks Dick Purple for being able to read.

it just shows you how many people cant separate the facts of what he actually said from the insinuations of the reporter...the only way to know the facts is to find and post the whole interview and read it in context

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #794 on: June 07, 2006, 07:25:16 PM »

They are still relevant.

See my point?

Well it depends on what you think is relevant. As I can see, relevant to you is hit singles and number of albums sold. So is Britney Spears relevant?

To me, relevant is when you have something to add to the world, or to music. The Stones once were relevant, today I agree they aren't. But Bon Jovi NEVER was relevant

Excellent point.  Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer sold millions of records too......

I disagree about the Stones though, well, I guess its how you define relevant again.  To me the legendary bands are always relevant b/c they are always influencing new bands and their place in rock history is just HUGE.  BJ doesn't have that in my book.

Is that true about "Its my life"Huh  That song would have been cool in 1988 but honestly, its pretty horrible.  And the "Have a nice day song"...laughable.  BJ still has some classic bar songs (all the hits of Slippery and NJ).  I think they just have a huge base and they're the ones who are buying the CDs and going to concerts.  You don't hear a lot of new bon jovi on the radio.  They also still have a HUGE international following still...but so does david hasselhoff....

Bono
« Reply #795 on: June 07, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »

U guys are really reading way too much into this.

Basically he is saying, when he gets old and cant sell records, he wont tour just for nostalgia and to make money.

Whats the big deal?

Anyone seriously think the Rolling Stones should still tour?

Exactly! The Stones look ridiculous on stage now. Mick prancing around in his cut off belly t-shirts like he was in his 20's Roll Eyes. The Super Bowl performance proved it. I had a freind who saw them In Montreal and she said it was not good at all. I was totally surprised to hear that because when I saw them in 1994 they were awesome. ?I think Bon Jovi has a point and I agree 100% with what D? said, you guys are reading way too much into this.

By the way I'm a ?big Stones fan so I'm obviously not pileing on them just for the sake of pileing on. That'd be too easy. ?It's just a ?fact that there comes a time when you're obviously past it and The Stones are there. They are nothing but a nostalgia act now. Though Bon Jovi does need to be careful because he's not far off from that himself.
Bono
« Reply #796 on: June 07, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »

All you people who bash Bon Jovi make me laugh because I gaurentee you,  you've all tapped your foot or sang along to songs like: Livin' On  A Prayer, Bad Medicine, I'll Be There For You, In These Arms, Wanted Dead or Alive, You Give Love a Bad Name, I Believe, Someday I'll Be Saturday Night, Runaway, Wild in the Streets, Blood on Blood, Lay You hands on Me, etc... I wouldn't doubt half of you who say you think Bon Jovi Sucks do so for effect and to promote a self image of yourself on this and other boards. Oooohhhhh Shocked watch the claws come out now. You all know I'm telling the truth.
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #797 on: June 07, 2006, 07:58:46 PM »

All you people who bash Bon Jovi make me laugh because I gaurentee you,  you've all tapped your foot or sang along to songs like: Livin' On  A Prayer, Bad Medicine, I'll Be There For You, In These Arms, Wanted Dead or Alive, You Give Love a Bad Name, I Believe, Someday I'll Be Saturday Night, Runaway, Wild in the Streets, Blood on Blood, Lay You hands on Me, etc... I wouldn't doubt half of you who say you think Bon Jovi Sucks do so for effect and to promote a self image of yourself on this and other boards. Oooohhhhh Shocked watch the claws come out now. You all know I'm telling the truth.

Bon Jovi is fun, and I like some songs (the old ones). I think Richie Sambora is one of the most underrated guitarrists ever.

HOWEVER, like I said, Bon Jovi is just fun. Nothing more. They aren't and will never be relevant. They had little influence on the bands that came after them, unlike the Stones, and that's what I'm arguing
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #798 on: June 07, 2006, 08:43:15 PM »

Bon Jovi is fun, and I like some songs (the old ones). I think Richie Sambora is one of the most underrated guitarrists ever.

HOWEVER, like I said, Bon Jovi is just fun. Nothing more. They aren't and will never be relevant. They had little influence on the bands that came after them, unlike the Stones, and that's what I'm arguing

Me too, I dig most of the songs you mentioned and they are still fun to hear at a bar or a sports arena.  But they're not in the same category as bands like the stones, the who, led zep, U2, springsteen, and so on.  Commercial success is great but it doesn't mean they'll have as big a legacy as the bands I just mentioned. 

SLCPUNK
« Reply #799 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:36 PM »

That is my point. The Stones are still selling out tours, and pulling in huge crowds. Obviously they enjoy what they do and their fans also enjoy it.

It is all relative however. Jon may find the Stones old and silly, but many may find Jon the same way.

It's like saying one artist is better than the other. It is meaningless, it all is based on opinion.

So, plenty may hold the opinion that Jon is an 80's throwback, a joke and should just let it go already.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:53:25 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: