Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228560 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  the Bon Jovi thread
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Bon Jovi thread  (Read 212273 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #340 on: July 20, 2005, 11:10:47 PM »

Well, with Bon Jovi, you have an interesting problem.  By itself, it's a good, catchy song.  But when you look at it in the context of Bon Jovi's whole career, you see that it fits totally into the pattern of leading singles off BJ albums - namely, the big rawk anthem with the positive message.  Seriously, how many times can Jon Bon Jovi sing about how he's gonna live his life?  He uses the phrase "I'm gonna live my life" in like half his singles.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #341 on: July 21, 2005, 01:34:11 AM »

NOW ... I KNOW that D is just waiting on pins and needles for my opinion about this song...? hihi

On a scale of one to? five... I give it five pukes.? puke puke puke puke puke

And I thought that? "You Give Love A Bad Name" was cheesy.? ?And just like cheese... it would appear that Jon gets molder as he ages.?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #342 on: July 21, 2005, 02:21:53 AM »

That was funny, I must admit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
badapple81
« Reply #343 on: July 22, 2005, 09:08:24 PM »

The voice may have changed but I'd rather it than nothing at all. As for quitting in 91? We wouldn't have had great songs like Someday I'll Be Saturday Night, Always, It's My Life and of course the These Days album.

As with Axl, Jon's voice may not be perfect live but he can put on a hell of a show and get the crowd going. Just listen to the crowd sing with him during 'I'll Be There For You' on the Crush Tour DVD. Plus, I reckon his vocals were great for a guy in his 40's on the This Left Feels Right launch live DVD.

It's true that the last 3 albums (Crush, Bounce and Have a Nice Day) first single has had the same theme, but hey, in theme times and the world we live in, a positive uplifting song doesn't hurt.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #344 on: July 22, 2005, 11:00:17 PM »

As with Axl, Jon's voice may not be perfect live but he can put on a hell of a show and get the crowd going. Just listen to the crowd sing with him during 'I'll Be There For You' on the Crush Tour DVD. Plus, I reckon his vocals were great for a guy in his 40's on the This Left Feels Right launch live DVD.

Blasphemy!  You should never use jon bon jovi's name in the same sentence as my God's. It's just wrong.
badapple81
« Reply #345 on: July 22, 2005, 11:19:48 PM »

Blasphemy!? You should never use jon bon jovi's name in the same sentence as my God's. It's just wrong.

Grin Axl is my God too, but I was comparing the fact that although both of them don't have a perfect studio voice live, their stage presence is what makes the show  ok
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2005, 12:21:26 AM »

Just had a listen to the full song thanks to the link you posted D, and I quite like the song. I also found a live version recorded from Live 8. It's good to see Richie is back playing some good solos again too.
To me the song sounds like a cross between It's My Life and Keep The Faith era Bon Jovi. I look forward to hearing the rest of the album.

This may be the first Bon Jovi album I'll buy since These Days, I kinda lost interest in the band on their other releases after that.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2005, 03:52:11 PM »

tis gr8. didnt they play dis @ LIVE8 philadephia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
badapple81
« Reply #348 on: July 24, 2005, 06:13:22 PM »

I also like the fact that the chorus isn't the usual anthem, a little different.
badapple81
« Reply #349 on: July 24, 2005, 06:28:55 PM »

For Aussie fans.. help bring Bon Jovi to Australia. A world Tour should soon be announced and Australia will most likely be left out again.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ozbjovi/petition.html
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #350 on: July 24, 2005, 07:14:52 PM »

the solo is good, but the lyrics are full of cliches or overused lyrics

have a nice day,
Shining like a diamond,
rolling with the dice,
dead end street
Im gonna live my life.
gonna stand my ground
it gets me through the night.
I aint gonna do what I don?t want to,

boooooooooooring

i could write better lyrics in my sleep

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2005, 12:13:06 AM »

obviously u could since Bon Jovi have sold 100,000,000 records and u are posting on a message board.

Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2005, 03:16:21 PM »

obviously u could since Bon Jovi have sold 100,000,000 records and u are posting on a message board.

oh please, half of the people on this board could write better songs

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp
32 million according to the RIAA

they also claim to have 100 million fans

a laughable concept since theyve only sold 32 million units

but really, that cover is just a copy as well...

not doing too good on originality are they?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2005, 03:20:38 PM »

Correction

32 million in the US

100 million worldwide

Once again u show your ignorance on the subject

Jon and Bon Jovi are huge Elvis fans and they did their cover as a tribute to Elvis which they told everyone up front
its not like they ever led anyone to believe it was an original idea.

but by selling 100,000,000 they joined the likes of Elvis and a very exclusive club of artists in that 100 million category.

take their album Crush, it sold 2 million in the US 10 million worldwide

they are a huge international act.

Do u know on their last tour, they sold out Giants Stadium in NJ back to back nights
sold out Gillete stadium in the New England area

U got Metallica,Bon Jovi and U2 as the only bands from the 80's who can still do that.

Its time they got some credit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:23:46 PM by D » Logged

Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #354 on: July 25, 2005, 03:53:28 PM »

Correction

32 million in the US

100 million worldwide

Once again u show your ignorance on the subject

Jon and Bon Jovi are huge Elvis fans and they did their cover as a tribute to Elvis which they told everyone up front
its not like they ever led anyone to believe it was an original idea.

but by selling 100,000,000 they joined the likes of Elvis and a very exclusive club of artists in that 100 million category.

take their album Crush, it sold 2 million in the US 10 million worldwide

they are a huge international act.

Do u know on their last tour, they sold out Giants Stadium in NJ back to back nights
sold out Gillete stadium in the New England area

U got Metallica,Bon Jovi and U2 as the only bands from the 80's who can still do that.

Its time they got some credit.

they were good in the 80's now they produce monotonous cliched crap...i cant believe its the same people writing the songs for 2 decades...thats credit enough from me, albums's like crush are nothing but horrible mainstream crap

most Elvis fans i have talked to about this cover have called it an insult, especially since they doubled the figure on the cover yet Elvis sales are 10 times Bon Jovi's, near enough duplicate artwork, its undermining how great a cover that was for it's time...its like sticking good charlotte's name onto the appetite for destruction cover, calling it their own yet happily cashing in on the album cover's familiarity and saying its a tribute

my comments still stand, they probably dont even have 100,000 true fans...100 million sales worldwide is inflated too, it's more like 70-80 million

(Winston Churchill)"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #355 on: July 25, 2005, 03:57:02 PM »

U have no clue man, U talked to Elvis fans?

Is there a club where everyone puts on their sideburns and jumpsuits and meets to discuss things?

Have u brought this question up at the Elvis convention?

its 100 million, it is official, they received their awards and everything, just quit hating dude.

U judge them by certain singles u hear but I guarantee u havent listened to an entire album.

U cant judge a band by what is heard on the radio, U cant, if that was the case most would think GNR's best song was NR which it isnt.

They have a dedicated and loyal fan base all around the world

they have 100,000 true fans?

how the fuck do they sell out every arena in North America and every stadium worldwide?

how many acts can u name that can do that?

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #356 on: July 25, 2005, 04:04:18 PM »

Is there a club where everyone puts on their sideburns and jumpsuits and meets to discuss things?

its 100 million, it is official, they received their awards and everything, just quit hating dude.

U judge them by certain singles u hear but I guarantee u havent listened to an entire album.

U cant judge a band by what is heard on the radio, U cant, if that was the case most would think GNR's best song was NR which it isnt.

how the fuck do they sell out every arena in North America and every stadium worldwide?

D, i'd just let it go - u'r being wound up by someone with absolutely no clue

Bon Jovi have shifted 100 million albums and remain phenomenally popular, they sell out stadiums over here too. Their new stuff is godawful, but their success is not in doubt

The Beatles (no.1 sellers) have shifted approx 400 million albums worldwide, just to put things in perspective for the doubters

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #357 on: July 25, 2005, 05:49:12 PM »

...jumpsuits, funny you claim that i am ignorant yet you mouth off the same old bullshit i hear from non elvis fans about elvis...

no i am a member of several forums, one where we discuss collectors albums, rarities, etc have been a fan for 20 years and have some great friends, nope, no jumpsuits, never been to a convention nor any of the other crap you hear about Elvis fans, thats by far the minority...i meet people just like any other person

so what do you discuss in the bon jovi forums? how to rip off your next album cover? dig up more and more unexciting cliches? stick your hair in curlers and put on your make up?

hate? i dont hate bon jovi, whatever gave you that idea, ive been to one of the stadium concerts, have several albums (all early albums) and seen them perform out of first floor window in tower records and i still have the articles about it from 10 years ago from several newspapers (and an ex had all their albums)...i think they are crap now, blunted by popularity...nothing to do with hate...(ive listened to them all up to crush...you guarantee i havent listened to a single album eh D, shouldnt put words in my mouth)

i meant 1,000,000 not 100,000, that was a typo

now go put on your lipstick and rouge and play with your bubblegum pop

(Winston Churchill)"
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #358 on: July 25, 2005, 07:54:38 PM »

If they actually have 100,000,000 fans, that means that each fan has only bought 1 of their many albums (I don't know how many they have, I could look it up I suppose, but I'm simply not that motivated to prove the point, because I know bon jovi sucks.  I don't need statistics to know that they suck.  all I need is ears) and that doesn't consider the fact that some fans may have bought the same album twice (I know I have personally bought Appetite for Destruction on at least 5 different occasions, that doesn't make me  five individual fans, but it does account for five individual sales for GnR), nor does it account for the fact that some people may have purchased an album only to later discover how much they truly do suck.  (I'm in that category, as I did purchase Slippery When Wet, before I saw them in concert, and realized that they suck.)

I do not, however, argue their success, because they have a proven record of success.   N'Sync was successful too, it doesn't mean they didn't suck.  The Macarena was successful too... and... it sucks.

Cheese is cheese, and no matter what kind of packaging you put the cheese in, it's still going to be cheese when you open the package.   Some cheese sells better than others -- but just because the cheese sells well, doesn't change it from being cheese.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2005, 11:04:31 PM »

They didnt rip off the album cover

to rip something off means u blatantly steal something as your own

they were paying tribute to one of their heroes growing up, thats bout like if someone does a cover song tryin to say they are rippin off the original, its not ripping it off.

they gave all the credit to Elvis and made clear why they were doing it.

No band has 100,000,000 fans, I dont know why that little tag line was invented.

Tied Up I dont know how many times I have to explain to u why u are wrong.

Nsync and bands like that were a fad, a trend, they had a life of around 5-6 years and burned out.  The Backstreet Boys new album has not done well at all.

Bon Jovi have been around for 21 years now, 21 years and are still very popular worldwide today.

Cheese or no cheese they are obviously doing something right.

Jon came out in 2000 and said that he knows who he is, what he does and doesnt argue with it and that he isnt gonna try to be something he isnt.

What do people want him to do? Put out a big industrial record? a heavy metal record? do u want him to rap?

He knows what he does and what he does well so he does it.

Follow me now

EVERY BAND has to give a little to the record label.

Steven Tyler talked about it how he has to make the 2 or 3 cheesy top 40 songs in able to do the other songs he wants to do
'
he talks how its a tradeoff and he isnt thrilled but thats the rules.

Bon Jovi like everyone else have to put out a few poppy hit type songs in order to stay popular enough to put out new albums and to do what they want to do.

If u listen to an entire album, u would know that every song isnt like Its My life,Have a nice day or Everyday.
U know this new CD is gonna be there 9th release

how many bands still come up with good songs 9 albums in?

its not easy to think of new shit over and over and over.

Jon wasnt a tortured childhood misfit and I applaud him for never pretending to be. he writes from his heart and what he feels so that is ok with me.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: