Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:51:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  the Bon Jovi thread
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Bon Jovi thread  (Read 194394 times)
mesha
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1440 on: March 13, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »

so november rain sucks too then? it's slow, same goes for alot of gnr songs. wtf is this bullshit if it's slow it must suck....god why does it have to be style over substance with most people....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1441 on: March 13, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »

yes but gnr dont follow one  slow song after another do they.

They have a few ballads but alot of very aggressive kick ass rockers to to balance it. i like slow songs, but i dont like almost an entire album of them, it gets kinda tiring.

html sucks
mesha
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1442 on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »

yes but gnr dont follow one  slow song after another do they.

They have a few ballads but alot of very aggressive kick ass rockers to to balance it. i like slow songs, but i dont like almost an entire album of them, it gets kinda tiring.

well tbh bon jovi hasnt done alot of slow songs either before these days so they tried to do something different and they get butchered for it? don't really get that but ok...rock doesn't need to exist only out of ''kick ass rockers'' cause if it did i wouldn't be listening to it that's for sure
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1443 on: March 13, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

bon jovis previous albums balanced it well. They had ballads and feelgood rock ones.

I like nearly all the ballads from there old albums ,especially the ones from keep the faith. But i dont wanna fall asleep listening to an album, and These Days does that because frankly its tiring, ballad, ballad, ballad, ballad, rock, ballad, ballad. Theres just no kick to it.

Rock music is called Rock music because it rocks.

They didnt really try something different, they just sold out because they got the most success from ballads.

If there were more songs on These days, like "hey god" for example then it would have been great.

html sucks
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #1444 on: March 13, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »

Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre - 3/12/08

LOST HIGHWAY
BAD NAME
RAISE YOUR HANDS
RUNAWAY
GARAGE LAND
SLEEP
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
IN THESE ARMS
BLAZE OF GLORY w/ Daughtry - Knockin' On Heaven's Door intro
JOEY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
WE GOT IT GOIN' ON
IT'S MY LIFE
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU - RICHIE VOX
(YOU WANT TO) MAKE A MEMORY
BED OF ROSES
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
HAVE A NICE DAY
FAITH
PRAYER

ENCORE:
ANY OTHER DAY
WANTED
I LOVE THIS TOWN

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1445 on: March 14, 2008, 04:28:13 AM »

Its a shame people dont consider them one of the greatest bands Ever.

D-

Alot of people do. The attendance figures speak for themselves. Outside of the likes of a reunited Floyd, Zeppelin, and maybe the Rolling Stones and Springsteen; what band other rock band on the planet right now can play a run of shows like that or still be a legitimate stadium act?

In November 2007 they played 10 consecutive SOLD OUT shows at the Prudential arena in New Jersey. Outside of the ones I mentioned above, find me another band that could do half of that right now.

Tour attendance is a good barometer for the respect an artist garners. Most of the radio hit pop artists can't sell out small theaters this day in age, so this is one that can't be placed at the feet of record company promotion.

People still come out in droves almost 25 years later to see Bon Jovi because they have continued to make great music and they have continuously adapted and changed their sound to stay relevant. Poison is a contemporary from that era and they will struggle to put 10,000 butts in the seats in many markets when they tour later this year, as do many other bands from that era. The fact Bon Jovi has only increased their popularity over the past 20 years is a testament to the level of quality music they made. They would have flamed out like into a full blown nostalgia act like 98% of the rest of the bands of that era if their wasn't something more to their music.

Quite frankly I have never understood the lack of appreciation for them at a place like this board. For all the bluster about valuing artists wanting to push themselves to make different music and not just be content to make the same old AC/DC song over and over I can't see how Bon Jovi doesn't garner a greater level of respect. He has been a chameleon at progressing and adapting the sound of the band. They have made rock albums, poppier sounding albums, even had an album debut at #1 on the country charts. There is no arguing that they have a versatility to cut across genres with their sound that is possessed by few bands in the world today. Having that ability, and the nuts to try it is why they are as popular as they are today.

Much of the criticism they receive is prompted by jealousy deep down. It is much easier to point to everything under the sun as an excuse or justification as to why they are as insanely popular as they are (and still growing) than it is to man up and admit that is because they are super talented and have made timeless music. Corporate made artists don't play 5-10 nights in a row at large arenas and still sell out stadiums over 20 years into their existance. If they were all fluff and no substance they would have been exposed at some point over the past 25 years the way all the other flash in the pans have been.

Wow amazing post! Damn Naupis, U out Bon Jovi'd me! LOL!

People want to treat BJ like some kind of Rock Boy Band. I remember when someone tried to say it was cause Jon was good looking, I mean how ridiculous right?

U look at any pop act.

Britney, New Kids, NSync, Backstreet

The had HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Popularity for about 3 to 4 years.

Bon jovi are going on their 25th year and better make the Hall of Fame next year.

Thing with Jovi is, Since 2000 they have sold out stadiums and multiple nights at arenas. So it isn't like a nostalgia act who reunites and has one huge tour.

If any Bon Jovi haters have never heard the song "Blood On Blood" Off the New Jersey album< I guarantee it will change your mind/

I think NJ is one of the greatest albums ever made. Idont know why SWW gets all the credit. NJ kills it overall.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:38:09 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #1446 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre - 3/13/08

LOST HIGHWAY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
BAD NAME
COMPLICATED
RAISE YOUR HANDS
I LOVE THIS TOWN
SLEEP
OLDER
BLAZE OF GLORY w/ Knockin' On Heaven's Door intro
4TH OF JULY
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
SATURDAY NIGHT
WE GOT IT GOIN' ON
IT'S MY LIFE
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout
IN THESE ARMS - DAVID VOX
(YOU WANT TO) MAKE A MEMORY
TILL WE AIN'T STRANGERS ANYMORE
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
HAVE A NICE DAY
FAITH
PRAYER

ENCORE:
LAST NIGHT
WANTED
TWIST & SHOUT
TREAT HER RIGHT

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1447 on: March 16, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »

^
very interesting set list.

BTBM 2nd is definitely different.

I would love to hear Miss 4th of July at my concert. I love that song. It was written the same time he wrote Bed of Roses. BOR made the album, it didnt cause it was too personal about the band almost breaking up etc.

Would love to hear Dave singing In These Arms.

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #1448 on: March 19, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »

Its a shame people dont consider them one of the greatest bands Ever.

D-

Alot of people do. The attendance figures speak for themselves. Outside of the likes of a reunited Floyd, Zeppelin, and maybe the Rolling Stones and Springsteen; what band other rock band on the planet right now can play a run of shows like that or still be a legitimate stadium act?

In November 2007 they played 10 consecutive SOLD OUT shows at the Prudential arena in New Jersey. Outside of the ones I mentioned above, find me another band that could do half of that right now.

Tour attendance is a good barometer for the respect an artist garners. Most of the radio hit pop artists can't sell out small theaters this day in age, so this is one that can't be placed at the feet of record company promotion.

People still come out in droves almost 25 years later to see Bon Jovi because they have continued to make great music and they have continuously adapted and changed their sound to stay relevant. Poison is a contemporary from that era and they will struggle to put 10,000 butts in the seats in many markets when they tour later this year, as do many other bands from that era. The fact Bon Jovi has only increased their popularity over the past 20 years is a testament to the level of quality music they made. They would have flamed out like into a full blown nostalgia act like 98% of the rest of the bands of that era if their wasn't something more to their music.

Quite frankly I have never understood the lack of appreciation for them at a place like this board. For all the bluster about valuing artists wanting to push themselves to make different music and not just be content to make the same old AC/DC song over and over I can't see how Bon Jovi doesn't garner a greater level of respect. He has been a chameleon at progressing and adapting the sound of the band. They have made rock albums, poppier sounding albums, even had an album debut at #1 on the country charts. There is no arguing that they have a versatility to cut across genres with their sound that is possessed by few bands in the world today. Having that ability, and the nuts to try it is why they are as popular as they are today.

Much of the criticism they receive is prompted by jealousy deep down. It is much easier to point to everything under the sun as an excuse or justification as to why they are as insanely popular as they are (and still growing) than it is to man up and admit that is because they are super talented and have made timeless music. Corporate made artists don't play 5-10 nights in a row at large arenas and still sell out stadiums over 20 years into their existance. If they were all fluff and no substance they would have been exposed at some point over the past 25 years the way all the other flash in the pans have been.

Wow amazing post! Damn Naupis, U out Bon Jovi'd me! LOL!

People want to treat BJ like some kind of Rock Boy Band. I remember when someone tried to say it was cause Jon was good looking, I mean how ridiculous right?

U look at any pop act.

Britney, New Kids, NSync, Backstreet

The had HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Popularity for about 3 to 4 years.

Bon jovi are going on their 25th year and better make the Hall of Fame next year.

Thing with Jovi is, Since 2000 they have sold out stadiums and multiple nights at arenas. So it isn't like a nostalgia act who reunites and has one huge tour.

If any Bon Jovi haters have never heard the song "Blood On Blood" Off the New Jersey album< I guarantee it will change your mind/

I think NJ is one of the greatest albums ever made. Idont know why SWW gets all the credit. NJ kills it overall.

You ask why Bon Jovi isn't considered one of the greatest bands by many people, myself included? Erm.

J K Rowling. 's all I'm going to say. Draw your own conclusions.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1449 on: March 19, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

It's easy to stay "relevant" when the majority of your music for the past 10 years has been geared towards soccer moms.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1450 on: March 19, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »

I think u guys are haters because Bon Jovi shits on all the bands u guys love.

If its all soccer moms why are their concerts sold out?

Why can they break records? U tellin me the whole crowd is soccer moms? If so u are completely full of shit and dillusional.

U don't sell out 3 nights at 50,000 seat Football stadium if all that likes u is soccer moms.

U guys have no logic or no knowledge about this band and really shouldn't comment with bullshit.

They are one of the biggest bands "EVER" and one of the greatest. Their catalog competes and stands up to any other band u want to throw out there.

They have the longetivity, album sells, hit singles, sold out tours *not nostalgia*  respect, raving reviews, and put on one of the greatest concerts u will ever see.  The audience ranges in age from 1 to 65 but u will see a lot of 20's and teens.

They have iconic rock songs "Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name,Bad Medicine, Its My Life

Iconic ballads Wanted Dead Or Alive,"Born To Be My Baby" I'll Be There For You" Livin In Sin, Never Say Goodbye, Bed Of Roses, Always,

A fuckin number 1 country song to boot "Who Says You Cant Go Home"

They are one of the top 3 most successful bands that came out in the 80's and u guys need to deal with it.

From the 80's u have 4 bands still killin it today 1.U2 2.Metallica 3. Bon Jovi 4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Thats the list. thats it!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 05:35:55 PM by D » Logged

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1451 on: March 19, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

Their catalog competes and stands up to any other band u want to throw out there.

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Tom Waits
Sonic Youth
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan

Just throwing a few names into the ring there.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1452 on: March 19, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »

You're using the words Bon Jovi and shit the wrong way in that sentence.

I don't like Bon Jovi because I think their music lacks most things I "look for" in music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1453 on: March 19, 2008, 05:51:54 PM »

Their catalog competes and stands up to any other band u want to throw out there.

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Tom Waits
Sonic Youth
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan

I would listen to Bon Jovi any day than any of those.

we grow up having musical snobs dictate what is supposedly "Great" and what it isnt. Music is great based on the listener.

I dont care that I've grown up my whole life to suppose to believe Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist. Id take Slash anyday of the week.

I dont care I've grown up to be told how Led Zeppelin is this and that. I tried listening to them and I find it very painful. Id take Motley Crue's greatest hits over them anyday of the week.

Same with Bob Dylan. Great because u have been told its great. Critics would give him 5 stars regardless of what he does like Radiohead now but to me they bore the shit out of me.

Guns N Roses OWN The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd and whoever else.

And yes Id gladly take Bon Jovi over the beatles,RS,LZ etc etc combined.

People don't like the fact that after all these years, they are still as popular and great as ever. They have matured and transitioned into the next phase of their lives and career flawlessly like not too many other bands are capable.

U tell me I can have Bon Jovi's career or Sonic youth's and Id take Bon Jovi everytime

I can understand someone sayin Springsteen,Dylan,Zep, beatles but Sonic youth? Are u kidding me? thats the most ridiculous shit I've read in a while.

Where are Bon Jovi today? Where the fuck is Sonic Youth?

Sonic Youth could hold a free concert and Bon Jovi could charge a thousand bucks a ticket and still triple their audience.

Thats like saying Terrance Trent D'arby was better than Prince.

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #1454 on: March 19, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »

Pfft. I'll give it to you straight. As far as I can gather from what I've heard, there ain't enough intelligence, there ain't enough depth in Bon Jovi's music for him to come anywhere close to the Floyd or half the others mentioned (Bon Jovi better than Pink Floyd!! You are actually insane).  Give me a call when he releases a Village Green or a Quadrophenia, maybe I'll give it a go.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:01:14 PM by Jim » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1455 on: March 19, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »

I don't think Jovi has done enough drugs to reach that floyd level yet.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1456 on: March 19, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »

at the end of the day i guess its opinion.

But no one can deny the facts, and the facts are all the bands mentioned above have long lasting popularity, including Bon Jovi.

html sucks
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #1457 on: March 19, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Tom Waits
Sonic Youth
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan

I would listen to Bon Jovi any day than any of those.

we grow up having musical snobs dictate what is supposedly "Great" and what it isnt. Music is great based on the listener.

I dont care that I've grown up my whole life to suppose to believe Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist. Id take Slash anyday of the week.

I dont care I've grown up to be told how Led Zeppelin is this and that. I tried listening to them and I find it very painful. Id take Motley Crue's greatest hits over them anyday of the week.

Same with Bob Dylan. Great because u have been told its great. Critics would give him 5 stars regardless of what he does like Radiohead now but to me they bore the shit out of me.

Guns N Roses OWN The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd and whoever else.

And yes Id gladly take Bon Jovi over the beatles,RS,LZ etc etc combined.

People don't like the fact that after all these years, they are still as popular and great as ever. They have matured and transitioned into the next phase of their lives and career flawlessly like not too many other bands are capable.

U tell me I can have Bon Jovi's career or Sonic youth's and Id take Bon Jovi everytime

I can understand someone sayin Springsteen,Dylan,Zep, beatles but Sonic youth? Are u kidding me? thats the most ridiculous shit I've read in a while.

Where are Bon Jovi today? Where the fuck is Sonic Youth?

Sonic Youth could hold a free concert and Bon Jovi could charge a thousand bucks a ticket and still triple their audience.

Thats like saying Terrance Trent D'arby was better than Prince.

I don't think anyone is denying that Bon Jovi are still poular D. Thats undeniable. I am not a huge fan but I find their 80's output listenable and catchy. What bothers me and I think bothers most is probably the reason they've stayed so successful. When you change how you sound so much and in the way they did the music becomes less art and expression and more being a whore. Lot's of bands change their sound, you have to or else you become boring. And I am all for experimentation in music. It's just that Bon Jovi went from being the 80's Bon Jovi to making what is basically easly listening. It's soft rock. It's lame.
And I don't think anyones popularity is ever a good way to guage the quality of what they're doing anyway. Most people I know don't have a clue who Bad Religion are, and some don't know The Ramones, yet have of course heard of Blink 182 and Green Day. And Green Day sells all these albums and fills stadiums and gets played on MTV. Does that make them better than the former two bands?

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1458 on: March 19, 2008, 07:09:06 PM »

Yeah, that must be it..

If its all soccer moms why are their concerts sold out?
There are lots of soccer moms out there, no?

U tellin me the whole crowd is soccer moms?
I'm sure alot of them bring their husbands and young children.

Afterall, the chances of profanity being uttered, or anything "controversial" for that matter, are pretty slim.

U don't sell out 3 nights at 50,000 seat Football stadium if all that likes u is soccer moms.
Why not?

When you factor in that alot of them are probably going with their husbands and young children, it's entirely realistic.

U guys have no logic or no knowledge about this band
And quite frankly, I don't particularily care to..

They are one of the biggest bands "EVER" and one of the greatest.

rofl

Guns N' Roses, TOOL, Marilyn Manson, Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More, The New Radicals, Alice In Chains, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Cult, AC/DC, Prince, The Eagles, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, April Wine, Rush, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Judas Priest, The Black Crowes, Collective Soul, David Bowie, Boston, The Steve Miller Band, Death Cab for Cutie, NIN, The Rolling Stones, Pantera, The Police, The Beatles, A Perfect Circle, Our Lady Peace, U2, Skid Row, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Incubus, Hootie and the Blowfish, Soul Asylum, The Arctic Monkeys, Nazareth, Neil Young, The Libertines, Babyshambles, Eric Clapton, HIM, The Tragically Hip.

and put on one of the greatest concerts u will ever see. 

I've seen them live..

Compared to Guns N' Roses, Prince, Tool, The Rolling Stones, Marilyn Manson, etc, they really aren't anything special.

The audience ranges in age from 1 to 65 but u will see a lot of 20's and teens.

Mostly 35-45.

They have iconic rock songs "Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name,Bad Medicine, Its My Life

Iconic ballads Wanted Dead Or Alive,"Born To Be My Baby" I'll Be There For You" Livin In Sin, Never Say Goodbye, Bed Of Roses, Always,

Iconic?.. hihi

A fuckin number 1 country song to boot "Who Says You Cant Go Home"

I'm sorry, but that song is just embarassingly bad Undecided

Talk about piss-poor songwriting.

They are one of the top 3 most successful bands that came out in the 80's and u guys need to deal with it.

What about:

Guns N' Roses, Marilyn Manson, Faith No More, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Cult, AC/DC, Prince, The Eagles, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, April Wine, Rush, ZZ Top, Judas Priest, David Bowie, NIN, The Rolling Stones, Pantera, The Police, Petty and the Heartbreakers, Nazareth, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, The Tragically Hip, etc?

From the 80's u have 4 bands still killin it today 1.U2 2.Metallica 3. Bon Jovi 4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Thats the list. thats it!

Once again, what about:

Guns N' Roses, Marilyn Manson, Faith No More, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Cult, AC/DC, Prince, The Eagles, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, April Wine, Rush, ZZ Top, Judas Priest, David Bowie, NIN, The Rolling Stones, Pantera, The Police, Petty and the Heartbreakers, Nazareth, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, The Tragically Hip, etc?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1459 on: March 19, 2008, 07:22:47 PM »

This is kind of off topic.

But please, to everyone, list all of those great bands but please, please refrain from including TOOL.

They are one of the most boring bands ive ever heard and it drives me mad hearing people rave on about them all the time....

(sorry im stressed and there name bugs the shit out of me)

However.

With Bon Jovis later material, where as i can listen to there 1980s, very early 90s material albums all the way through, there later stuff lacks in the rockingness. Its more of a hit single thing rather than album. Its my life is the best track on Crush because its only the really rocking one.

Lost Highway the song is a great Tom Petty feeling track and i can see why it was a hit.

I think they do deserve respect, but i do think there more recent material has been rather lacking to say the least.

html sucks
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: