Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD w/ Label = Directly from Richard
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD w/ Label = Directly from Richard  (Read 152498 times)
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2007, 02:36:35 AM »

Is it possible that the label is holding up the release until axl is able to get some of the money he spent on it back to them? since it's done, it wont take anymore money to record, so they can delay the release until axl gets some of their money back, through perhaps some more tours that they may have in store.
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2007, 05:31:44 AM »

Posted on: Today at 02:36:35 AMPosted by: user FKA webmoster 
Insert Quote
Is it possible that the label is holding up the release until axl is able to get some of the money he spent on it back to them? since it's done, it wont take anymore money to record, so they can delay the release until axl gets some of their money back, through perhaps some more tours that they may have in store.

Im pretty sure that combined of The greatest hits,
the 2001/02 tours , and 2006/07 tours Are enough to have at least broke even for Geffen if not close, or even perhaps made some profit,

As soon as chinese democracy is released,
Im pretty sure it wont need as much promotion as people think,
All they will need to do to promote it is to say

The most expensive album ever made is now here,
this is perfection,
this is chinese democracy,
this is guns n roses,

done, sit back and watch the cash trickle from the fountain of society  beer drool drool

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2007, 05:51:36 AM »

Great news, it just confirms what we already know but thanks for posting anyway peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2007, 07:00:48 AM »

cool, very curious to hear the end results one day.  ok

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2007, 09:57:16 AM »

I know why there is a hold up... They had to cut jobs in order to properly release Chinese Democracy...
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2007, 10:01:36 AM »

this is perfection,
this is guns n roses,

done, sit back and watch the cash trickle from the fountain of society  beer drool drool

I completely disagree with this idea.

The album is going to need promotion. A well-organized promotion and tour.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »

? ? Just to throw it out there re:Touring for money to recoup losses for the record companies? ?I was under the assumption that bands make most of their money by touring and the record company makes their money from the release(s) of albums. ?Of course some bands have contractual agreements that give them money for both touring and sales of albums, not to mention merch. ?If I remember correctly, Axl has also spent a ton of his own money on these to be released c.d.s. ?The music world, especially the hip-hop world has been known to live so large while on tour that they tab out on their labels and end up broke after their cd release and tours.
 ? ?GnR by just touring is promotion in motion already. ?The release was probably supposed to have been done during or right after, but delays keep screwing it up. ?Yeah Axl reworked stuff causing delays but I tend to believe it's the record companies causing the delay at this point. ?Every radio station and late night show has made jokes or just comments about the release of the next GnR cd, so if that's the case, the band is still relevant and wouldn't need major money to promote a new release. ?Yes there will have to be promotion and tours but not as much as some may think. ?Once the ball gets rolling, they'll probably have major promotion w/o major cash infusions via record companies. ?If Axl and GnR weren't relevant then there would be no mention of him or the band. ?Record companies have feelers out and about and they know that there are a ton of active fansites awaiting a new release. ?Besides the fan turn out for concerts, pre-orders and merch sales gives them an idea of who is out there waiting to make purchases. ?I guess we'll have to wait and see.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »

this is perfection,
this is guns n roses,

done, sit back and watch the cash trickle from the fountain of society? beer drool drool

I completely disagree with this idea.

The album is going to need promotion. A well-organized promotion and tour.

promotion, why?

Every Gn'R fan knows about the album? Grin
Every non Gn'R fan will be fed promotion via the airwaves onces the singles are released? ok
Sure there will be some TV slots annoucing the release of Chinese Democracy, but I doubt they'll be much more.

Actually, TV spots will probably be on the low side of the promo media schedule. All types of viral and guerilla marketing will be the more prominent way to promote and market CD when it comes out. Look at NIN, look at Radiohead. And anyone who lives in a major market city, look at the new types of 'guerilla' marketing (sidewalks, building projections, multimedia billboards). Old fashioned broadcast media promotion is not the same as it used to be.

(Happy holidays to everyone. Happy and healthy for '08! beer)

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »

? ? ?Just to throw it out there re:Touring for money to recoup losses for the record companies?? I was under the assumption that bands make most of their money by touring and the record company makes their money from the release(s) of albums.? Of course some bands have contractual agreements that give them money for both touring and sales of albums, not to mention merch.? If I remember correctly, Axl has also spent a ton of his own money on these to be released c.d.s.? The music world, especially the hip-hop world has been known to live so large while on tour that they tab out on their labels and end up broke after their cd release and tours.
? ? GnR by just touring is promotion in motion already.? The release was probably supposed to have been done during or right after, but delays keep screwing it up.? Yeah Axl reworked stuff causing delays but I tend to believe it's the record companies causing the delay at this point.? Every radio station and late night show has made jokes or just comments about the release of the next GnR cd, so if that's the case, the band is still relevant and wouldn't need major money to promote a new release.? Yes there will have to be promotion and tours but not as much as some may think.? Once the ball gets rolling, they'll probably have major promotion w/o major cash infusions via record companies.? If Axl and GnR weren't relevant then there would be no mention of him or the band.? Record companies have feelers out and about and they know that there are a ton of active fansites awaiting a new release.? Besides the fan turn out for concerts, pre-orders and merch sales gives them an idea of who is out there waiting to make purchases.? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

did you say "in motion" -
You heard right Red  Actually I don't recall writing this whole thing?

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »

I know why there is a hold up... They had to cut jobs in order to properly release Chinese Democracy...

Now all those who have been sacked can consider themselves martyrs.  Wink Wink Wink

I know I shouldn't make fun of serious matters but it kinda seemed like a nice thought...  Wink At least to my tequila filled mind.   smoking
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2007, 07:52:02 PM »

i dont like to speculate...but if the record company has the record they are probably working out plans for promotion and things of that nature...i dont think its some big mystery....
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2007, 08:39:17 PM »

i dont like to speculate...but if the record company has the record they are probably working out plans for promotion and things of that nature...i dont think its some big mystery....

In all honesty the record company laid off a big part of their company.
SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »

Can we please put to rest this talking point that "Greatest Hits funded Chinese Democracy"?

It is not the "Chinese Democracy Funding Apparatus"...there are five or six other people besides Axl who get whatever royalties come from it, not to mention, some of you people seem to think the label is in the business of "breaking even".

They made some money on Greatest Hits. It does not pay for CD. Nor do the tours. 2002 lost money. 2006, if anything, paid the bandmember's salary for a year or two.

They're holding up the album to figure out a way to make some money. I don't understand what all the debating is about.

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

Can we please put to rest this talking point that "Greatest Hits funded Chinese Democracy"?

It is not the "Chinese Democracy Funding Apparatus"...there are five or six other people besides Axl who get whatever royalties come from it, not to mention, some of you people seem to think the label is in the business of "breaking even".

They made some money on Greatest Hits. It does not pay for CD. Nor do the tours. 2002 lost money. 2006, if anything, paid the bandmember's salary for a year or two.

They're holding up the album to figure out a way to make some money. I don't understand what all the debating is about.

^That pretty much says it all. 'Nuff Said. CD  was being made WAY before "Greatest Hits" And was being made well after.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2007, 07:38:33 AM »

I think its very safe to say that the Label has many contractual issues to deal with the band before releasing this album. I don't think it's just a matter of "holding up to make more money".

davidoff86
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2007, 07:55:04 AM »

i think there might be disagreements on how to release the album (S).

maybe the record company want all 3/4 out at the same time to be done with the thing, but axl wants to release one every year or so like baz said?

but at the end of the day only they know any of us are purely speculating Smiley

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »

What are the most logical reasons for the record company holding it up?

kerching kerching kerching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

always the same

html sucks
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2007, 10:16:51 AM »

Long live the speculation!!  Cheesy

Hope Fortus ir right though...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »

As mentioned, touring is a big money spinner for the artist, and indirectly for the record company, since touring = ticket sales + album sales.

GNR have just toured the US.  Yeah I know - '06, but for a casual fan going to see them in 08 could well be less compelling than it was in 06, because in 06 there was no CD, but there was the significant novelty value for many fans of seeing a band that they grew up on.  Notwithstanding line up changes etc.   

If I was devising a Chi Dem tour schedule for GNR right now, I would be thinking that if they toured today they would be pulling in the die hard fans (who have also bought Chi Dem) but they will be missing out on the novelty/nostalgia segment, and that's an important segment as that's where there is good potential for growth in CD sales.  Perhaps a casual fan goes to the concert to hear SCOM, PC, LALD, NR etc. and leaves after hearing Better, TWAT, CD, Maddy etc. and picks up the CD on his way out of the venue, or the next day at the store.

If they tour today they will miss some of that segment, because many of those people will say "Hey, I just saw GNR and heard some of their new stuff.  It was a good show, but am I going again so soon?" 

So given the state of the music industry today and the general public's appetite for rock music (look at he Billboard charts and the Top 10, it's not pretty) and the fact that GNR has already toured recently with what would be a very similar set, I'm thinking that it doesn't make sense to release Chi Dem right now.

IMHO - The best hope is to release a catchy single (ideally a fresh one - not Better) and if that captures the imagination of the public then maybe that's the time to get moving on an album release and tour.  That new single, if successful, would provide the opportunity to capture a bunch of new fans and off set the "Hey, I just saw these guys" casual fans.

But that's a risk.  Release the catchiest single too early and it bombs and then maybe that sets things back further?

Record Companies are not charities.  They're in it for the money, so they'll do what they need to do to maximize revenue. 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »

So people just go to one show every ten years for novelty reasons?

You don't think there's a bunch of people who'd go to the shows who either weren't fans in the past or didn't have the chance to go see them last time?

There's a bunch of people who'll go see concerts based on the novelty factor, that's correct. But I think many of them are prepared to go to a show more than once in two years....

Otherwise bands like Metallica wouldn't be playing European stadiums every summer.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: