Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 05:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour  (Read 97079 times)
robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »

Funny how I get told repeatedly that I apparently think I can tell Slash's story better or how I wasn't there.

I never claimed the opposite!

You think I did because I point out the errors. You assume, that just because I correct an error, that I think I was in the band. How the hell do you come to that kind of fucked up conclusion is beyond me.

Anybody who has issues with me correcting the errors, must have issues with Slash's dad telling him he got his birth place wrong too. Right?? Roll Eyes

People who were there are pointing out that Slash's memory isn't the best and when I point out the things where it shows, I'm the asshole. That makes sense.

hihi

/jarmo

ok, wow..calm down...its just a book...as i said, the book is not about him getting the exact dates correct....we dont need a book from him for that...but, the book is about his life, how he grew up, how he came to form his identity, and the growth of guns n roses...thats all im saying...i could care less he got some dates wrong...and if you care about it, ok....
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »

He even said he thinks Slash has a worse memory than he does.? That obviously doesn't mean he dislikes Slash.

Ali

but it also doesn't mean that he thinks the whole thing is bullshit....considering he was being generally vague, he could have been referring to one event, or to a time period in particular...

we don't know...

Right. ?Like I said, he doesn't agree with his recollection of certain events. ?That doesn't imply he thinks the whole book is worthless. ?He appreciates it for the insight it provided into Slash's thoughts and feelings, not for it being a definitive, historically accurate version of certain events.

Ali
elmir
VIP

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »

Right.  Like I said, he doesn't agree with his recollection of certain events.  That doesn't imply he thinks the whole book is worthless.  He appreciates it for the insight it provided into Slash's thoughts and feelings, not for it being a definitive, historically accurate version of certain events.

Ali

sorry mate, i misunderstood you.....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »

Funny how I get told repeatedly that I apparently think I can tell Slash's story better or how I wasn't there.

I never claimed the opposite!

You think I did because I point out the errors. You assume, that just because I correct an error, that I think I was in the band. How the hell do you come to that kind of fucked up conclusion is beyond me.

Anybody who has issues with me correcting the errors, must have issues with Slash's dad telling him he got his birth place wrong too. Right?? Roll Eyes

People who were there are pointing out that Slash's memory isn't the best and when I point out the things where it shows, I'm the asshole. That makes sense.

hihi

/jarmo

ok, wow..calm down...its just a book...as i said, the book is not about him getting the exact dates correct....we dont need a book from him for that...but, the book is about his life, how he grew up, how he came to form his identity, and the growth of guns n roses...thats all im saying...i could care less he got some dates wrong...and if you care about it, ok....

Jarmo - I think what gets people emotional about this is the fact that some people feel that you and Jim Bob are conveying the perspective that Slash has intentionally lied and deceived in each instance where there is an error in his book.  I realize this is not true, but since you've taken sides here rather then being a moderating voice of reason, you've really gotten people fired up.  I personally believe that you take each mistake in the book on a case by case basis.  Many of the mistakes are just that while some are intentional to put himself in a better light.  And from that perspective I can agree to some extent.  Certainly Slash should be held accountable for why he left the band when historically he said it had to do with musical direction and now he says otherwise.  However, it is my belief that the majority of the book has mistakes due to a lack of a fact checker and there is no intentional deceit.  Can you agree to that?  I mean, give the man a break.  Throughout the book he gives Axl the benefit of the doubt, repeatedly stating that Axl's view is going to be different from his own and may be just a valid. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »

Of course some of the stuff that's wrong is due to poor fact checking or editing.

Other stuff is probably wrong because he either remembers it that way, wants to remember it that way or wants us (the public) to remember it that way.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »

I guess Slash has succeeded very well in convincing most people that this book is an honest recollection of his life with the honorable intention to set the record straight.....

Well, it had a different effect on some others, me included.

Slash wrote (or "cooked up") this book for the following reasons:

1. MONEY (he has admitted himself many times of being frugal and greedy)

2. To promote his current job as a guitar player in a mediocre band on the verge of extinction

3. To take implicit shots at Axl, portraying him as the bad guy (yet again) while Slash himself as the nice guy (as usual), and thus causing even more trouble in Axl's life because of media implications resulting from that portrayal

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »

I guess Slash has succeeded very well in convincing most people that this book is an honest recollection of his life with the honorable intention to set the record straight.....

Well, it had a different effect on some others, me included.

Slash wrote (or "cooked up") this book for the following reasons:

1. MONEY (he has admitted himself many times of being frugal and greedy)

2. To promote his current job as a guitar player in a mediocre band on the verge of extinction

3. To take implicit shots at Axl, portraying him as the bad guy (yet again) while Slash himself as the nice guy (as usual), and thus causing even more trouble in Axl's life

Number 3 is totally wrong.  Did you even read the book?  He praises Axl many times in the book as he tells situations that took place where he stook up for Axl.
robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »

Of course some of the stuff that's wrong is due to poor fact checking or editing.

Other stuff is probably wrong because he either remembers it that way, wants to remember it that way or wants us (the public) to remember it that way.

/jarmo

i dont understand part of your reply. "Other stuff is probably wrong because he either remembers it that way...." Well, it's his memory, right? So, are you saying its wrong because slash remembered it that way? That assumes that everything slash remembers is wrong. that's strange that you would say that, isn't it? not to be rude, but you telling slash that his memories are wrong because slash remembers it that way..its exactly like slash saying that you were wrong because you remembered it that way and slash doesnt even know you and he is not you......it's slash's life, his experiences, etc...you were there as slash's shadow for the past 40 some years or so? maybe you were...i dunno...
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »

Oh, number 3 is so right, you have no idea....It's called a revenge....Taken by Slash in response to the fact that Beta turned him away when he went to Axl's house to beg to get back to GN'R and bash his current bandmates. It's a revenge not so much for the rejection but more for the (what turned out to be absolutely true) statement that came out of the GN'R camp subsequently.

I have a question for the people who are Slash fans, VR fans, Old GN'R fans, who are NOT current GN'R fans: What the hell do you do on this board? I thought this section was for the few fans of the current incarnation of GN'R who for whatever reason also like the mediocrity VR is.

Like Ali said, there is no hate for Slash here. It is called disappointment, not hate.

People like Slash and Adler have been a big disappointment and embarrassement for the GN'R legacy over the years. In the outcome of events, all things considered, they have done more harm than good to Axl and GN'R. Hell, a few of the years of the CD delay (back in the 90s), are solely due to Slash.

So, I ask, if you support GN'R and Axl, how the fuck can you agree with Slash and his malicious agendas?

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »

Oh, number 3 is so right, you have no idea....It's called a revenge....Taken by Slash in response to the fact that Beta turned him away when he went to Axl's house to beg to get back to GN'R and bash his current bandmates. It's a revenge not so much for the rejection but more for the (what turned out to be absolutely true) statement that came out of the GN'R camp subsequently.

I have a question for the people who are Slash fans, VR fans, Old GN'R fans, who are NOT current GN'R fans: What the hell do you do on this board? I thought this section was for the few fans of the current incarnation of GN'R who for whatever reason also like the mediocrity VR is.

Like Ali said, there is no hate for Slash here. It is called disappointment, not hate.

People like Slash and Adler have been a big disappointment and embarrassement for the GN'R legacy over the years. In the outcome of events, all things considered, they have done more harm than good to Axl and GN'R. Hell, a few of the years of the CD delay (back in the 90s), are solely due to Slash.

So, I ask, if you support GN'R and Axl, how the fuck can you agree with Slash and his malicious agendas?

How can we support GNR and Axl and agree with Slash and his malicious agendas?

That's easy.

We don't get involved with what goes on between Axl and Slash.

We don't hang out with either one.

We don't take sides.

It's called being a fan.

I don't know Slash.  Nor do I know Axl.  Again, what goes on between those two has no bearing on my life and to take sides against two people you don't even personally know is ridiculous.
elmir
VIP

« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »

3. To take implicit shots at Axl, portraying him as the bad guy (yet again) while Slash himself as the nice guy (as usual), and thus causing even more trouble in Axl's life because of media implications resulting from that portrayal

no disrespect to you...but over the years, Axl and the media which reported on gnr's career managed to do this bit all by themselves....not to mention some pretty insulting interviews to Mr. Rose from the side of Izzy Stradlin, Duff Mckagan, Steven Adler and Matt Sorum....

Slash may be insinuating and suggesting scenarios and directions our minds should be going in....but Axl has been portrayed as the bad guy waaay before this book and waaay before Slash even left the band....

the fact that a majority of gnr fans (past and present) see him as the bad guy explains it pretty clearly....

nothing Slash said in this book could have made that situation (impression) any worse than what it already is....

Whilst I agree with you that this book is poorly written and badly narrated, I do agree with most of the other sentiment here that it is Slash's take on things, and should be taken as such.....with a pinch of salt...

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »

i dont understand part of your reply. "Other stuff is probably wrong because he either remembers it that way...." Well, it's his memory, right? So, are you saying its wrong because slash remembered it that way? That assumes that everything slash remembers is wrong. that's strange that you would say that, isn't it? not to be rude, but you telling slash that his memories are wrong because slash remembers it that way..its exactly like slash saying that you were wrong because you remembered it that way and slash doesnt even know you and he is not you......it's slash's life, his experiences, etc...you were there as slash's shadow for the past 40 some years or so? maybe you were...i dunno...

No, I'm saying some things can be wrong in the book because he remembers it happening a certain way when in fact it didn't.

You might remember it raining yesterday, but it actually was sunny.

Doesn't mean you're telling the truth just because you remember it rained.  Wink

I don't really understand the argument here.

Are you saying people can't remember things wrong and shouldn't be corrected? If somebody remembers something happening on the 2nd and it actually happened on the 5th, are you saying his memory is correct? 

If you remember that I started this argument and everybody else says it was you, are you still right because you remember it your way?

confused

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »

No, I'm saying some things can be wrong in the book because he remembers it happening a certain way when in fact it didn't.

You might remember it raining yesterday, but it actually was sunny.

Doesn't mean you're telling the truth just because you remember it rained.? Wink

I don't really understand the argument here.

Are you saying people can't remember things wrong and shouldn't be corrected? If somebody remembers something happening on the 2nd and it actually happened on the 5th, are you saying his memory is correct??

If you remember that I started this argument and everybody else says it was you, are you still right because you remember it your way?

confused

hihi

/jarmo

you are the one confused, my friend. you are not slash. you did not live his life. you hate him. now move on...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2008, 02:53:04 PM »

you are the one confused, my friend.

Just a bit by your post. That's all.

you are not slash.

I know. Are you aware that I never claimed to be?

you did not live his life.

I know. Are you aware that I never claimed to?

you hate him. now move on...

Hate? No.

What do you know about me? You just registered.

Oh wait, I have a feeling you've been here before under another name trying this same "you're not Slash" routine.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As usual, no answers to the questions, just repeat the same old "you're not Slash" posts.

You're amusing.

/jarmo

PS I'm not Slash!

robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »

you are the one confused, my friend.

Just a bit by your post. That's all.

you are not slash.

I know. Are you aware that I never claimed to be?

you did not live his life.

I know. Are you aware that I never claimed to?

you hate him. now move on...

Hate? No.

What do you know about me? You just registered.

Oh wait, I have a feeling you've been here before under another name trying this same "you're not Slash" routine.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As usual, no answers to the questions, just repeat the same old "you're not Slash" posts.

You're amusing.

/jarmo

PS I'm not Slash!

thanks for admitting you are not slash...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »

thanks for admitting you are not slash...

Thanks for proving you're very lame.  Smiley

/jarmo

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »

he really only wanted to set the record straight as to why he left.? He lists 3 reasons.? All of them are apparant and leaves no room for confusion.? As for the stories, that's all they are.....some of the stories led to the reasons....but their are certain facts that are what they are.....

Yeah, and musical differences apparently had nothing to do with it.

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

slash addressed that and said no; it had more to do with the chemistry of the replacements for Izzy, or lackthereof; attendance issues / start times at shows; and the whole name ownership thing; if you read the book, you'd know this...

so am I now supposed to assume that all those comments back in the 90s about how he enjoyed playing with Gilby so much more than Izzy were lies?? What about Gilby playing on the snakepit album?? ?or the fact that Matt Sorum has been stuck up his ass since 1991?? ? So its really the lack of chemistry with those guys who replaced some of the AFD members?

maybe slash is just the type of guy who says whatever suits his agenda at the time?? ?take a look at all the various comments he's made over the years and thats pretty obvious.

Axl fired gilby right after the Illusions tour yes
so what's your point? if you read the book, it was the guitarists he had chemistry issues with
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »

he really only wanted to set the record straight as to why he left.  He lists 3 reasons.  All of them are apparant and leaves no room for confusion.  As for the stories, that's all they are.....some of the stories led to the reasons....but their are certain facts that are what they are.....

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

slash addressed that and said no; it had more to do with the chemistry of the replacements for Izzy, or lackthereof; attendance issues / start times at shows; and the whole name ownership thing; if you read the book, you'd know this...

so am I now supposed to assume that all those comments back in the 90s about how he enjoyed playing with Gilby so much more than Izzy were lies?  What about Gilby playing on the snakepit album?   or the fact that Matt Sorum has been stuck up his ass since 1991?    So its really the lack of chemistry with those guys who replaced some of the AFD members?

maybe slash is just the type of guy who says whatever suits his agenda at the time?   take a look at all the various comments he's made over the years and thats pretty obvious.

so what's your point? if you read the book, it was the guitarists he had chemistry issues with

chemistry with the replacement of Izzy = Gilby

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »

he really only wanted to set the record straight as to why he left.? He lists 3 reasons.? All of them are apparant and leaves no room for confusion.? As for the stories, that's all they are.....some of the stories led to the reasons....but their are certain facts that are what they are.....

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

so am I now supposed to assume that all those comments back in the 90s about how he enjoyed playing with Gilby so much more than Izzy were lies?? What about Gilby playing on the snakepit album?? ?or the fact that Matt Sorum has been stuck up his ass since 1991?? ? So its really the lack of chemistry with those guys who replaced some of the AFD members?

maybe slash is just the type of guy who says whatever suits his agenda at the time?? ?take a look at all the various comments he's made over the years and thats pretty obvious.

chemistry with the replacement of Izzy = Gilby

And if you read the book, you would know that Axl fired Gilby right after the tour and the replacements I was referring to were the guys brought in to write the "next studio album"; which they are still working on......Slash never had the opportunity to write with Gilby

Did people actually read the book or what they want to believe Undecided
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »

i'm not going to read it.? ?i'm not interested.? he left the band 12 years ago and i see no need to look back.? ?fuck it.

as he claims he didnt read it....all his posts in here shouldnt count a dime....how to discuss a book you didnt read, huh?? oh, wait....?mabye Jim Bob is the one lying??!? Shocked

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: