Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 05:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour  (Read 97096 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

I have been watching this for a long while now, and I find it more than slightly ludicrous to point out each and every alleged mistake in the book,after all Slash was ACTUALLY there (physically) and ACTUALLY a member of GNRs. This book isn't intended to be a historically correct manifesto, simply memories of times and places past.

Slash himself has said in numerous interviews that he wrote the book to "set the record straight" so what peoples are pointing out are his inaccuracies in well-documented facts.

No one is questioning Slash's contributions/role when he was in GNR.?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »

Yeah, sure whatever sweetie- but this is Slash's book -not a biographical CORRECT in every area GNR book, I actually know a thing or two about a thing or two and have been following Guns since the late 80's.
 Slash mangled some dates up-big deal! It still could have been much worse and more bitter under the circumstances. He is NOT trying to start world war 3, just relaying things the way he remembers them-and HE WAS a member of GNRs-He was ALSO present at the creation of these memories,were YOU? I don't think so.

peace
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2008, 04:52:53 PM »

Yeah, sure whatever sweetie- but this is Slash's book -not a biographical CORRECT in every area GNR book, I actually know a thing or two about a thing or two and have been following Guns since the late 80's.
 Slash mangled some dates up-big deal! It still could have been much worse and more bitter under the circumstances. He is NOT trying to start world war 3, just relaying things the way he remembers them-and HE WAS a member of GNRs-He was ALSO present at the creation of these memories,were YOU? I don't think so.

peace

I agree with GypsySoul 100%.  Furthermore, and if I may put it in another way, you cannot set the record straight without having your facts straight.  You just cannot do it.  That is the issue.  Slash set himself up for this type of analysis of his book by saying he was setting the record straight.

Perhaps if Slash had framed the purpose of the book differently, there wouldn't be this kind of analysis and subsequent backlash.

Ali
November-Blues
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »

Well...I disagree with both of you, but I'm a contrary S.O.B. so- get over it!
I have read the book, Personally I didn't see a Tag on the front that said "Guaranteed to be 100% Error free" and you know the amazing thing? Most Biographies do contain errors in one form or another. The world is an unfair place-screws fall out, things break, people make mistakes! (Shock?)
 Slash was only relating the happenings as he recalled them through the melee' of fame fortune and ummm..alchohol.
It wasn't a guided missle of rage directed at anybody,and I would imagine that he knows a bit more about his life than some random kids on a forum.
 No matter how many times you read it, take notes on it, and emphasize each and every error-he lived it, you didn't, and he was actually a member of GNRs-you aren't.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

I have read the book, Personally I didn't see a Tag on the front that said "Guaranteed to be 100% Error free" and you know the amazing thing? Most Biographies do contain errors in one form or another. The world is an unfair place-screws fall out, things break, people make mistakes! (Shock?)
 Slash was only relating the happenings as he recalled them through the melee' of fame fortune and ummm..alchohol.
It wasn't a guided missle of rage directed at anybody,and I would imagine that he knows a bit more about his life than some random kids on a forum.
 No matter how many times you read it, take notes on it, and emphasize each and every error-he lived it, you didn't, and he was actually a member of GNRs-you aren't.

No one is disputing that this is his life and it is his right to pen a memoir about it, nor that he was a member of GN'R (and it's ridiculous to even bring that up).  It's a memoir of his life, including his time in GN'R.  It is not the definitive record of what went wrong with GN'R.  Like I said, he set himself up for this kind of backlash by saying he was "setting the record straight" in the absence of having his facts straight.  Additionally, he admitted that doesn't remember a large portion of what went on then.

Bottom line, it should have been framed differently.  The reaction to it (the book) would have been different had it been framed differently.

Ali
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

why are we acting like lawyers in here, trying to find errors so that we can "arrest" someone, its like we are talking about a book by bill clinton or a nobel peace winner, when in fact we are talking about Slash, one of the most rocking guitarists of all times, from the Guns N fuckin Roses, who is a fucking legend in the rock n roll world, who used to drink, smoke, do tons of drugs, fucked lots of women, destroyed hotelrooms, and partied with the baddest people out there, why are we, the fans behaving like boyscouts when we are fans of a band that dident give a fuck?? Its like if you idolize ,? I dont know, lets say Hells Angels, but then sit and discuss how terrible it is that one of them drove without a helmet, thats for the police, the churchgoers and the parents to dislike, not us??

LMAO!  hihi I completely agree!  Excellent post.
williambailey
Rocker

"Axl is just another version of the Ayatollah"

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2008, 07:24:48 PM »

No one is disputing that this is his life and it is his right to pen a memoir about it, nor that he was a member of GN'R (and it's ridiculous to even bring that up).? It's a memoir of his life, including his time in GN'R.? It is not the definitive record of what went wrong with GN'R.? Like I said, he set himself up for this kind of backlash by saying he was "setting the record straight" in the absence of having his facts straight.? Additionally, he admitted that doesn't remember a large portion of what went on then.

Bottom line, it should have been framed differently.? The reaction to it (the book) would have been different had it been framed differently.

Ali

The way I understood that statement "wanting to set the record straight" was he was wanting to put out there on the record once and for all the reason he left GN'R and the events sourrounding that.  He has said in interviews about the book that he is continually asked about why he left GN'R and are they going to reunite etc - so I understood that he wanted to set the record straight on these issues.  On that front there is no right or wrong - it's only Slash expressing his feelings as to why he left etc - his perception of the events and consequently what he was thinking and feeling that lead to his actions/decisions.  In other words Slash is effectively saying....  this is why I left, these things occured that in the end led me to make the decisions and choices that I did.  Whether his version of events that lead him to make the decisions that he did are accurate we will probably never know for sure.  But regardless of how they actually transpired Slash tells how he perceived them and therefore took the actions that he did. - he is setting the record straight on this.  It would be pretty silly if Slash lived his life by making his decisions based upon how other people perceived events.

e.g. one of the inflammatory issues for Slash was the fact that Axl would hardly ever turn up at the studio or if he did he would keep them waiting for hours.  One example of this was during the UYI recording sessions when they booked the studio in Chicago.  Another example was Axl bringing in Paul Tobias without consulting anyone else in the band and Slash not being able to work with him.   Regardless of the exact nature of these and other events - Slash explains how he perceived them and therefore the effects they had on his relationship with Axl and his decision to remain in the band. 

Lets say for a minute Slash was wrong on the Yoko Ono (sorry Paul Tobias) event and in some way he was actually consulted about the decision to bring him in.  If Slash felt that he had no say then "for the record" that is how he felt!!!!  end of story!   Even if Axl thought otherwise and felt that Slash was consulted and he did have some say on it - IT'S IRRELEVANT - at the end of the day Slash felt and thought what he did.  So he is setting the record straight on his feelings and where his head was at and the decisions he made as a consequence. 

As far as the other stuff like the St Louis riot etc and some of the other obvious errors - I didn't believe that he was referring to these things when he said he was "trying to set the record straight", i.e. to write a book with an exact and detailed history of everything - if he was then I would say he failed miserably. 

Now remember people this is simply MHO, how I preceived what Slash said, there's no right or wrong with my perception - it is how it is. 

BTW - the Yoko things was a joke too before people jump on that as well.   ok
Ali
Legend

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »

No one is disputing that this is his life and it is his right to pen a memoir about it, nor that he was a member of GN'R (and it's ridiculous to even bring that up).? It's a memoir of his life, including his time in GN'R.? It is not the definitive record of what went wrong with GN'R.? Like I said, he set himself up for this kind of backlash by saying he was "setting the record straight" in the absence of having his facts straight.? Additionally, he admitted that doesn't remember a large portion of what went on then.

Bottom line, it should have been framed differently.? The reaction to it (the book) would have been different had it been framed differently.

Ali

The way I understood that statement "wanting to set the record straight" was he was wanting to put out there on the record once and for all the reason he left GN'R and the events sourrounding that.? He has said in interviews about the book that he is continually asked about why he left GN'R and are they going to reunite etc - so I understood that he wanted to set the record straight on these issues.? On that front there is no right or wrong - it's only Slash expressing his feelings as to why he left etc - his perception of the events and consequently what he was thinking and feeling that lead to his actions/decisions.? In other words Slash is effectively saying....? this is why I left, these things occured that in the end led me to make the decisions and choices that I did.? Whether his version of events that lead him to make the decisions that he did are accurate we will probably never know for sure.? But regardless of how they actually transpired Slash tells how he perceived them and therefore took the actions that he did. - he is setting the record straight on this.? It would be pretty silly if Slash lived his life by making his decisions based upon how other people perceived events.

e.g. one of the inflammatory issues for Slash was the fact that Axl would hardly ever turn up at the studio or if he did he would keep them waiting for hours.? One example of this was during the UYI recording sessions when they booked the studio in Chicago.? Another example was Axl bringing in Paul Tobias without consulting anyone else in the band and Slash not being able to work with him.? ?Regardless of the exact nature of these and other events - Slash explains how he perceived them and therefore the effects they had on his relationship with Axl and his decision to remain in the band.?

Lets say for a minute Slash was wrong on the Yoko Ono (sorry Paul Tobias) event and in some way he was actually consulted about the decision to bring him in.? If Slash felt that he had no say then "for the record" that is how he felt!!!!? end of story!? ?Even if Axl thought otherwise and felt that Slash was consulted and he did have some say on it - IT'S IRRELEVANT - at the end of the day Slash felt and thought what he did.? So he is setting the record straight on his feelings and where his head was at and the decisions he made as a consequence.?

As far as the other stuff like the St Louis riot etc and some of the other obvious errors - I didn't believe that he was referring to these things when he said he was "trying to set the record straight", i.e. to write a book with an exact and detailed history of everything - if he was then I would say he failed miserably.?

Now remember people this is simply MHO, how I preceived what Slash said, there's no right or wrong with my perception - it is how it is.?

BTW - the Yoko things was a joke too before people jump on that as well.? ?ok

That goes back to what I said about how it was framed by Slash and the PR machine and the press is how it was took, and that in turn prompted this kind of analysis.

Whether or not Slash intended it as such, or he was simply being unclear, he repeatedly used the term "setting the record straight".  Consequently, whether intended or not, the book was hyped and seen as the inside account of the demise of GN'R, not Slash setting the record straight on his feelings about GN'R and leaving the band, etc.

I understand your perspective and see your point that perhaps Slash was just setting the record straight on his thoughts/feelings on GN'R and why he left the band.  Maybe in the end it was just a bad choice of words and a bad choice of how to frame and describe the book.  But, like I said, I believe that how it was framed, regardless of intent, led to how it was taken.

Ali
williambailey
Rocker

"Axl is just another version of the Ayatollah"

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »

Ali

The way I understood that statement "wanting to set the record straight" was he was wanting to put out there on the record once and for all the reason he left GN'R and the events sourrounding that.? He has said in interviews about the book that he is continually asked about why he left GN'R and are they going to reunite etc - so I understood that he wanted to set the record straight on these issues.? On that front there is no right or wrong - it's only Slash expressing his feelings as to why he left etc - his perception of the events and consequently what he was thinking and feeling that lead to his actions/decisions.? In other words Slash is effectively saying....? this is why I left, these things occured that in the end led me to make the decisions and choices that I did.? Whether his version of events that lead him to make the decisions that he did are accurate we will probably never know for sure.? But regardless of how they actually transpired Slash tells how he perceived them and therefore took the actions that he did. - he is setting the record straight on this.? It would be pretty silly if Slash lived his life by making his decisions based upon how other people perceived events.

e.g. one of the inflammatory issues for Slash was the fact that Axl would hardly ever turn up at the studio or if he did he would keep them waiting for hours.? One example of this was during the UYI recording sessions when they booked the studio in Chicago.? Another example was Axl bringing in Paul Tobias without consulting anyone else in the band and Slash not being able to work with him.? ?Regardless of the exact nature of these and other events - Slash explains how he perceived them and therefore the effects they had on his relationship with Axl and his decision to remain in the band.?

Lets say for a minute Slash was wrong on the Yoko Ono (sorry Paul Tobias) event and in some way he was actually consulted about the decision to bring him in.? If Slash felt that he had no say then "for the record" that is how he felt!!!!? end of story!? ?Even if Axl thought otherwise and felt that Slash was consulted and he did have some say on it - IT'S IRRELEVANT - at the end of the day Slash felt and thought what he did.? So he is setting the record straight on his feelings and where his head was at and the decisions he made as a consequence.?

As far as the other stuff like the St Louis riot etc and some of the other obvious errors - I didn't believe that he was referring to these things when he said he was "trying to set the record straight", i.e. to write a book with an exact and detailed history of everything - if he was then I would say he failed miserably.?

Now remember people this is simply MHO, how I preceived what Slash said, there's no right or wrong with my perception - it is how it is.?

That goes back to what I said about how it was framed by Slash and the PR machine and the press is how it was took, and that in turn prompted this kind of analysis.

Whether or not Slash intended it as such, or he was simply being unclear, he repeatedly used the term "setting the record straight".? Consequently, whether intended or not, the book was hyped and seen as the inside account of the demise of GN'R, not Slash setting the record straight on his feelings about GN'R and leaving the band, etc.

I understand your perspective and see your point that perhaps Slash was just setting the record straight on his thoughts/feelings on GN'R and why he left the band.? Maybe in the end it was just a bad choice of words and a bad choice of how to frame and describe the book.? But, like I said, I believe that how it was framed, regardless of intent, led to how it was taken.

Ali

Yeah true - to use my analysis - regardless of what Slash's intentions were with that statement "setting the record straight" - people have perceived that to mean different things.   hihi
Ali
Legend

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »

Ali

Whether or not Slash intended it as such, or he was simply being unclear, he repeatedly used the term "setting the record straight".? Consequently, whether intended or not, the book was hyped and seen as the inside account of the demise of GN'R, not Slash setting the record straight on his feelings about GN'R and leaving the band, etc.

I understand your perspective and see your point that perhaps Slash was just setting the record straight on his thoughts/feelings on GN'R and why he left the band.? Maybe in the end it was just a bad choice of words and a bad choice of how to frame and describe the book.? But, like I said, I believe that how it was framed, regardless of intent, led to how it was taken.

Ali

Yeah true - to use my analysis - regardless of what Slash's intentions were with that statement "setting the record straight" - people have perceived that to mean different things.? ?hihi

Yes, exactly.  And, I think that it is entirely likely that the way you took that statement is how Slash intended it.  Obviously, only he knows for sure, but I can certainly see that.  But, in the absence of such clarity from Slash on his intent when the book was being hyped and released, you have the situation and reactions presented here.  Unfortunately, the bell cannot be un-rung at this point.

Ali
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »

All I'm saying is that some people would rather remember things the wrong way because it makes themselves feel better instead of going back and re-living the past while being reminded of something bad.

There is a word for that in english; it is called selective memory. It is a ploy commonly used by defendants in criminal trials.(not saying Slash is criminal ... )

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2008, 07:30:37 AM »

Ali

? ? Throughout reading the posts, this is exactly what I was thinking the whole time...ontheotherhand I do feel once they had their material together he and Anthony should have been alittle more thorough looking at the details that are so obvious and for the most part available on Youtube at any single moment (i.e St Louis).

? ?I thought a silly comment was about Hammer of the gods and no one gets out here alive where he says he did not enjoy them because af the inaccuracies (I don't remember his exact words but it's on the page before the pictures start...I think. I maybe wrong ...Holy caow I'm starting to sound like Slash!)

? I loved the book, just like I love Slash and just like I love GNR ol' and new.

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
smeagol2124
Rocker

I will not go quietly

« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »

Admittingly not having read this book, is there any word on the porn star that killed herself and his role in that relationship?  Slash being the factual record keeper that he is and all, I am assuming he fully addresses that topic in as accurate of detail as possbile, no?
elmir
VIP

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

Admittingly not having read this book, is there any word on the porn star that killed herself and his role in that relationship?  Slash being the factual record keeper that he is and all, I am assuming he fully addresses that topic in as accurate of detail as possbile, no?

she is mentioned....albeit pretty vaguely...

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
robertjohn
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:23 AM »

why are we acting like lawyers in here, trying to find errors so that we can "arrest" someone, its like we are talking about a book by bill clinton or a nobel peace winner, when in fact we are talking about Slash, one of the most rocking guitarists of all times, from the Guns N fuckin Roses, who is a fucking legend in the rock n roll world, who used to drink, smoke, do tons of drugs, fucked lots of women, destroyed hotelrooms, and partied with the baddest people out there, why are we, the fans behaving like boyscouts when we are fans of a band that dident give a fuck?? Its like if you idolize ,? I dont know, lets say Hells Angels, but then sit and discuss how terrible it is that one of them drove without a helmet, thats for the police, the churchgoers and the parents to dislike, not us??

LMAO!? hihi I completely agree!? Excellent post.

Yes, im with you both. I was reading some of the comments here and I find it hard to believe that some people actually think they can tell slash about the events and experiences in his life better than he can..actually, its to the point of hysterics....They are saying he lied! He didnt get those dates wrong because he deliberately wanted to get them wrong.  And also, the book is not about the dates of events, it is about experiencing his life through his own eyes, not a text book about the dates certain things happened. I do see its sort of the same people who have a problem with the book being ali, jim bob, and jarmo, so maybe they just hate the guy..i dunno....
Ali
Legend

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »

LMAO!? hihi I completely agree!? Excellent post.

Yes, im with you both. I was reading some of the comments here and I find it hard to believe that some people actually think they can tell slash about the events and experiences in his life better than he can..actually, its to the point of hysterics....They are saying he lied! He didnt get those dates wrong because he deliberately wanted to get them wrong.? And also, the book is not about the dates of events, it is about experiencing his life through his own eyes, not a text book about the dates certain things happened. I do see its sort of the same people who have a problem with the book being ali, jim bob, and jarmo, so maybe they just hate the guy..i dunno....

No.  There is no hating the guy.  And it doesn't matter whether or not he got the dates and facts about certain events wrong intentionally or not, he still got them wrong.  Like I said before, and I'll say it again, he framed the book as him "setting the record straight".  You can't set the record straight without getting your facts straight.  Maybe he was just intending to set the record straight on his feelings and motivations behind what happened with Guns and why he left.  He wasn't that clear when the book was coming out and he was doing press.  But, in the end, how the book was framed and described led to it being taken a certain way and there you have the reaction here.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »

Funny how I get told repeatedly that I apparently think I can tell Slash's story better or how I wasn't there.

I never claimed the opposite!

You think I did because I point out the errors. You assume, that just because I correct an error, that I think I was in the band. How the hell do you come to that kind of fucked up conclusion is beyond me.

Anybody who has issues with me correcting the errors, must have issues with Slash's dad telling him he got his birth place wrong too. Right?  Roll Eyes

People who were there are pointing out that Slash's memory isn't the best and when I point out the things where it shows, I'm the asshole. That makes sense.

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
elmir
VIP

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »

pointing out factual errors is more than ok....that should be done, if for nothing else, than for the sake of informing fans of the band as to the correct chronological sequence of events...

...and maybe Anthony Bozza reads this and decides to correct these for the next editiion, ala Motley Crue's "the Dirt", where they openly credited the fanbase forum for all dates corrections and confirmations....

however...this thread has exploded into opinions, assumptions, and guesses as to what was "meant" by a statement or two....personal interpretations are all over the place....

in 8 pages of discussion, all we have as concrete errors are:

Wrong birthplace
St Louis incident misrepresentation (against video footage)
Todd Crew death scenario (from a close ex-friend of Slash from the old days...but even that's an anonymous internet post. )

what else?

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »

Funny how I get told repeatedly that I apparently think I can tell Slash's story better or how I wasn't there.

I never claimed the opposite!

You think I did because I point out the errors. You assume, that just because I correct an error, that I think I was in the band. How the hell do you come to that kind of fucked up conclusion is beyond me.

Anybody who has issues with me correcting the errors, must have issues with Slash's dad telling him he got his birth place wrong too. Right?? Roll Eyes

People who were there are pointing out that Slash's memory isn't the best and when I point out the things where it shows, I'm the asshole. That makes sense.

hihi

/jarmo

Hell, even Duff doesn't agree with Slash's recollection of certain events. ?He even said he thinks Slash has a worse memory than he does. ?That obviously doesn't mean he dislikes Slash.

Ali
elmir
VIP

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »

He even said he thinks Slash has a worse memory than he does.  That obviously doesn't mean he dislikes Slash.

Ali

but it also doesn't mean that he thinks the whole thing is bullshit....considering he was being generally vague, he could have been referring to one event, or to a time period in particular...

we don't know...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: