Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Eye Glasses
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eye Glasses  (Read 5653 times)
spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: December 11, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »

Well, I went to the eye doctor today to get an exam and he told me that my corneas are shaped like footballs (they are supposed to be shaped like baseballs) so I have a stigmitism so I have to get reading glasses and glasses to help me drive at night.

I've never worn glasses (except sunglasses) so this is a weird experience.

Any suggestions on how to go about making sure you find the right ones?

Do you start off with frames and go from there?

What price range am I looking at?

Thanks.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »

I don't know, but I have had astigmatism for years and never wore glasses(except as a teen). Though my sight has got so bad latey, I am going to have to go.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:30 PM »

Just don't get bifocals no matter if they suggest them or not, they will drive you nuts.  I am supposed to use reading glasses but I don't.  I have been wearing regular glasses/now contacts since I was 14 though.  Just find frames you won't mind being seen in and take it from there.

Some health plans cover some of the expense, a decent pair of glasses will set you back a few hundred bucks I would think.

The most important thing is making sure you are happy with the frames.  Even if they say they look good on you, YOU are the one who has to wear them.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:52:55 PM »

can you get contact lenses? 

Glasses are cool...unless you're like me and need lenses the size of Hubble's telescope.   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:43:22 AM »

Well, I went to the eye doctor today to get an exam and he told me that my corneas are shaped like footballs (they are supposed to be shaped like baseballs) so I have a stigmitism so I have to get reading glasses and glasses to help me drive at night.

I've never worn glasses (except sunglasses) so this is a weird experience.

Any suggestions on how to go about making sure you find the right ones?

Do you start off with frames and go from there?

What price range am I looking at?

Thanks.

I've had glasses since third grade, so I guess I'm the "expert". 

There are a number of things that affect cost, namely:

1.) Who makes the frame
---frames come in many many styles, and from many companies.  A lot of the companies that makes clothing/fashion also make frames (Kenneth Cole, Gucci, etc.).  They can range from $75 to a couple hundred, depending on what you get.
2.) lens coatings
---they can make them anti-glare, and some change to tinted in high sun, etc.
3.) lens thickness
---If you have bad eyes, as I do, your lenses will either be coke bottles or you'll have to upgrade to a thinner (and pricier) lens material.   

If you have good insurance, it makes sense to get new lenses every year or when necessary.  You can always get new lenses in old frames, though eventually a frame will wear out and need to be replaced.  How long that will be just depends on you.  I have tended to do so every other year, both for frames and lenses, as my eyes don't change much anymore. 

I'd recommend the following:

#1: find something that looks good on you...otherwise you'll hate them.  Obviously, it'll seem strange at first, but different isn't necessarily bad.  Different face shapes tend to be complemented by different frame shapes...google "face shape glasses" or something to that effect and I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info.  But, of course, try on many pairs and take someone with you that you trust to give you good advice...after all, the try on pairs don't have prescription lenses in them, so it's tough to tell exactly what they look like (I generally get about 3 inches from the mirror, as I'm near sighted).

#2: if you need the thinner lenses then get them.  They'll make your glasses weigh less and they'll be less distracting...especially for someone who's never worn them.  There's nothing worse than uncomfortable glasses, though even comfortable ones will take some time to get used to.  On that note, you might think about the differences between spring hinges and non-spring hinges, which will affect how they fit and how tight they are.

As for cost...well, I usually get a decent but not over the top $$$ frame, the thin lenses, and maybe the anti-glare (can't remember, honestly).  It runs about $300.  But it could vary greatly for you, depending on eye insurance, the frame you like, and whether you need thin lenses. 

Hope this helps.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:40:24 AM »

Just one thing: get an insurance if you're gonna wear them when you're drunk.? Embarrassed Grin

*edit*

Oh, and once you have the glasses, wear them as much as you can, even when you don't need them. Walk around the house wearing them to get used to them before you get in the car etc...

I've had glasses for so many years that when I don't wear them I accidentally poke myself in the eye trying to "adjust" them.  hihi
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:49:38 AM by Razzberry » Logged
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »

Eat more carrotts, that will sort out your eyes.  smoking

If you dont like carrotts get your eyes lasered, if you got insurance it should cover it.

"to live with fortune and fame"
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:07:16 AM »

If you dont like carrotts get your eyes lasered, if you got insurance it should cover it.

Most insurance in the US doesn't cover the laser procedure and it's really expensive.
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 03:25:38 PM »

If I don't wear reading glasses, I get this headache and it feels like my brain is imploding. Still, I don't wear them, especially in public (though everyone tells me it might get worse in the future...).

unless you're like me and need lenses the size of Hubble's telescope.? ?hihi

rofl rofl rofl
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »

Ok. I am really an expert on this subject since I have had glasses since 2nd grade and went through tons of pairs, hard contacts, soft contacts, gas permeable contacts and finally got lasik.

1.  Try on tons of frames - pick the frame first - and pick a frame for your face shape. Sometimes people get small glasses and there face is too big and the glasses look tight or they get glasses too big and look dorky.
2.  Bring a trusted friend with you to give advice.
3.  Make sure you can see yourself when trying on the frames or you won't be able to make a good decisioin.
4.  Pick a color that compliments your hair and facial coloring. For example - purple is fun but how is that going to go over in an office? I am blonde and blue eyed and made the mistake of getting black frames once and it made me look too pale and washed out. I stuck with brown after that.
5. The frame prices will all range. The actual lenses are the expense. But around $300 sounds right.

6. Get Lasik!!!!!! It rocks so hard and they actually offer financing now so you can pay it off slowly or before the interest rate starts to kick in. Most insurance in the US will not cover it but I don't know about globally. Anyway, had it paid off in 12 months before the interest kicked in and it is one of the best things I have ever done in my life.

I lost and ripped so many pairs of contacts along with getting pink eye and itchiness, I gave up wearing them. I only wore glasses, then I had kids and went through five pairs in four years because the kids would jump on me, step on my glasses, knock me in the face, etc. and the final straw, I was visiting sexkitten and decided to try and snake on the floor (yes, we were drunk) and took a dive face first and broke the handle off my glasses. I couldn't see anything for the rest of the weekend and had to walk around with a handle taped to my glasses. I have or should say had, a very strong prescription. I decided that's it and went for the Lasik. It has saved me more money than I can say by not having to buy contacts or glasses and no more problems with the kids. No solutions, no eye patches, no disinfecting, it's a beautiful thing.

Glasses are an adjustment.

Puking doesn't make me horny.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 04:32:14 PM »

I really want to get the lasik done.  Maybe next year I will look into the financing thing.  I mostly wear my glasses because I find my contacts to be like mini torture devices-a few years back I passed out (drunk of course) and when I woke up the next day and went to take them out I wound up scratching my left cornea because my eyes were very dry.  To me, there was no worse pain and I have had major surgery.  I have a little scar in that eye now and it's always irritating when I put the contact in over it.  Now I save them for when I am going out somewhere and try to remember to remove them before I pass out in an alcohol induced haze.   hihi
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 04:37:25 PM »

i personally don't understand why some people don't use their glasses in public..

i think glasses are cool.. many people are attractive in glasses as long as you find the right frames.. me myself is since i'm so goodlooking already and when i'm trying someones glasses i look intellegent too? Wink and when i ?look at myself in the mirror with someones glasses on I almost faint.. that's how I gorgeous am hihi

and i'm sure you are too, wear them with attitude Smiley

damn my perfect sight no
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »

me myself is since i'm so goodlooking already and when i'm trying someones glasses i look intellegent too? Wink and when i ?look at myself in the mirror with someones glasses on I almost faint.. that's how I gorgeous am hihi

But are you as goodlooking as THIS GUY?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZDG6__Zfc

rofl
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »

me myself is since i'm so goodlooking already and when i'm trying someones glasses i look intellegent too? Wink and when i ?look at myself in the mirror with someones glasses on I almost faint.. that's how I gorgeous am hihi

But are you as goodlooking as THIS GUY?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZDG6__Zfc

rofl

oh come one.. no one's that hot Wink
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »

Lasik isn't for everyone, It corrects one aberation, but introduces others. For the average person this is not a problem, but for others, it can impair ones ability to discern sutle differences in structure ... especially at higher magnifications.(ie. Astonomers, Microscopers)

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »

I bought the frame first each time, last i had a Gucci one, very nice and i got my glass tainted darker because my eyes were fragile.

Now, i have a totally different pair, prada ones, with normal colored glass.

I paid 175 and 205 euros for the frames alone and my health insurance covered the totality, the glass cost included, and with our health card system, i didn"t have to advance the money, so really, i didn"t pay a thing.

Nothing to say
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 10:16:47 AM »

wear them with attitude Smiley

That's probably the most important advice you can give!   ok It's important to like 'em so choose a pair that YOU like the most.
spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »

Well, I picked them up today at VisonWorks.  I got one pair as sunglasses and another pair to use daily. 

What a difference when I drove home.  Now the streetlights aren't fuzzy hihi
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 08:50:15 PM »

I fortunately have never had to wear glasses, but I think they make people look smart if that makes any sence.? I have colored contact lenses just for the fun of it but found they are really not so fun. Roll Eyes
Anyway Spagetti Inc I bet your glasses look great on you, and as mentioned above wear them with confidence.

PS: I think it was really cool of all of you to be so helpful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:56:30 PM by msaxl43 » Logged

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 08:38:32 AM »

After about 20 years, it's time for me to actually get eyeglasses again.  I've been thanking God for about 20 years for contact lenses.  Like I said before, my eyes are magnified tremendously with eyeglasses.  I've gone about 20 years with no back-up pair of glasses because I swore I wouldn't wear them again....now however, I've got insurance that covers them.....and it's probably smart to just get them and let my eyes breathe normally for a couple hours a day. 

I will need new contacts as well...I got my current pair, which I wear 16 hours/day everyday, back in '03.  Wish me luck!  Any suggestions on eyeglasses/features/etc.? 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: