Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread  (Read 191497 times)
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #720 on: August 05, 2006, 05:38:45 PM »

I like biographies.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #721 on: August 06, 2006, 08:23:11 AM »

I have actually never watched that movie. So the book is still readable!! Although I'm positive the book would be 100 times better anyway.

Yup, Bone Collector's really good. Unfortunately for me, I saw the movie first and then came to know that it was based on a book by Deaver. That's how I started reading his books. All of the ones I've read so far have been good, especially the ones with Lincoln Rhyme.

Does anybody read courtroom dramas, a.k.a the John Grisham type?

Fuck 'Em All.
melissa
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #722 on: August 06, 2006, 09:01:22 AM »

Just finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Great book!
Starting The Human Stain - Philip Roth
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #723 on: August 06, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »

Genesis, I haven't read Grisham in a long time.  I loved The Firm.  I couldn't put it down, but the movie sucked.  The Client is one of the few movies I actually liked better than the book.  For some reason, I just didn't dig that book. 

Praying for Sleep by Deaver was awesome.  I'm definitely going to do a Deaver book for my next read.  ok 

My wife just asked me if anyone here has read the new King book, The Cell.  Any reviews?  She liked it alot until the ending.  Just curious what ya'll thought.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #724 on: August 06, 2006, 11:48:19 AM »

halfway through the grapes of wrath. its good, really jarring and painful.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #725 on: August 06, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »

Genesis, I haven't read Grisham in a long time.  I loved The Firm.  I couldn't put it down, but the movie sucked.  The Client is one of the few movies I actually liked better than the book.  For some reason, I just didn't dig that book. 

Actually Grisham's not the author I wanted to talk about. He's the most famous in that genre, but there's this author called Steve Martini. You should really check out his books. I would recommend 'Compelling Evidence' (Stated by even John Grisham to be the best debut courtroom drama novel yet). You'll never guess who did it!

Fuck 'Em All.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #726 on: August 06, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »

Genesis, I haven't read Grisham in a long time.? I loved The Firm.? I couldn't put it down, but the movie sucked.? The Client is one of the few movies I actually liked better than the book.? For some reason, I just didn't dig that book.?

Actually Grisham's not the author I wanted to talk about. He's the most famous in that genre, but there's this author called Steve Martini. You should really check out his books. I would recommend 'Compelling Evidence' (Stated by even John Grisham to be the best debut courtroom drama novel yet). You'll never guess who did it!

I'll check it out!  Thanks Genesis.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #727 on: August 06, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

anyone read a book called "ALIENS - why they are here"
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #728 on: August 06, 2006, 06:17:12 PM »

Has anyone read The Dice Man?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #729 on: August 07, 2006, 04:37:07 AM »

Im reading two books at once or getting ready to.

Im already half way through the former NBA player Charles Barkley's first book "I May Be Wrong But I Doubt It"

and Im getting ready to start Dean Koontz "One Door Away From Heaven"

Im gonna pick up a couple more Deaver books when I get some extra cash but I got about 8 Koontz novels and about 10 King Novels lying around waiting to be read. So Im gonna try to knock a couple of them out.

Praying For Sleep had the most awesome twist.

If Koontz were writing this story, Owen wouldve busted in at the end and killed Micheal Hrubek and he and Lis would've got their marriage on track and lived happily ever after.

But Deaver truly threw me for a loop with that ending.

i never in a billion years so that coming......

I dont wanna spoil it for those who havent read it but Ill PM u tomorrow Axl4prez and we can discuss it some.

Anyone ever read "Swan Song" By Robert McGammon?

Its been sitting on my shelf for a year now and members at the Dean Koontz Forum I use to post on rave that its better than "The Stand"

That is a bold statement and I was wondering if anyone hear has read it?  I guess Ill have to find out for myself.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #730 on: August 07, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »

Im already half way through the former NBA player Charles Barkley's first book "I May Be Wrong But I Doubt It"

What is it about?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #731 on: August 07, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »

Just his thoughts and views on different issues. An Autobiography of life since his playing days.

Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #732 on: August 07, 2006, 11:07:57 PM »

Genesis, I haven't read Grisham in a long time.? I loved The Firm.? I couldn't put it down, but the movie sucked.? The Client is one of the few movies I actually liked better than the book.? For some reason, I just didn't dig that book.?

Praying for Sleep by Deaver was awesome.? I'm definitely going to do a Deaver book for my next read.? ok?

My wife just asked me if anyone here has read the new King book, The Cell.? Any reviews?? She liked it alot until the ending.? Just curious what ya'll thought.? ?peace

I read The Cell a while back.  Posted about it in the thread and I totally agree with your wife.  This is what I said in my original reply. 

I just finished reading Stephen King's "Cell."  I've always been a huge Stephen King fan, but this one was adisappointing to me.  The ending...meh.  It was an ok read...just not up there with his best. 

I've read a few of Steve Martini's books.  I enjoyed them as well.  I can't really remember any of them now except for The List. That's the first one I ever read of his.  It was about books, so I really enjoyed it...enough to make me look for another Martini book. 

Question:  Does anyone else have trouble remembering books after they've read them.  I read novels strictly for entertainment so they tend not to "stick" with me later.  It's so bad that I've started reading a book and got several chapters into it before realizing that I'd read it before.  I do read a lot so maybe that's the reason.  Is is just me or does anyone else have this problem?   
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #733 on: August 08, 2006, 04:28:32 AM »

I tend to forget characters names but Books that are really great I can still tell uwhat happened and basic plot and twist.

Ill never forget "The Stand" although I dont remember many of the characters names.

I wont forget "Praying For Sleep's" twist ever.

Simply genius.

leila
Rocker

You wrote the soundtrack to my life....

« Reply #734 on: August 08, 2006, 06:07:20 AM »

I'm reading Nick Hornby's "A Long Way Down"....I'm at work..but there isn't work to do in these days? Tongue ...so I have a lot of time to read..I like Hornby and I'm thinking to read also "How to be good", does someone of you know how this book is?

"..when I find out all the reasons maybe I'll find another way,find another day..with all the changing seasons of my life maybe I'll get it right next time....."
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #735 on: August 08, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »

Just finished reading a book called 'The English Passengers' by Matthew Kneale. Absolutely fantastic book and I higly recommend it - a mixture of adventure and history.

Story of some smugglers and their passengers on a voyage to discover The Garden of Eden.
Brief synopsis up on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0140285210/sr=8-1/qid=1155064281/ref=pd_ka_1/026-1201011-0266866?ie=UTF8&s=gateway)

Think it won some awards - anyway really good.

Now reading the Life of Pi (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/184195392X/sr=8-1/qid=1155064532/ref=pd_ka_1/026-1201011-0266866?ie=UTF8&s=gateway) Struggling with it a bit- was all over the press a couple of years back.

Anyone read either of these?

-Greg

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #736 on: August 10, 2006, 04:26:12 PM »

Anyone ever read "Swan Song" By Robert McGammon?

Its been sitting on my shelf for a year now and members at the Dean Koontz Forum I use to post on rave that its better than "The Stand"

That is a bold statement and I was wondering if anyone hear has read it?  I guess Ill have to find out for myself.

Swan song is pretty good .Don't think it's as good as the stand thought . But it defiantly worth a read.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
sesor
Rocker

« Reply #737 on: August 17, 2006, 09:24:56 PM »

i havnt had money for books and i owe the library too much money :$ haha so i havnt reead a good book in sucha  long time, just cheesey romance novels i've stolen off my mum, but i did read the shaddow over innsmouth by h.p lovecraft the other night onthe net. i liked it alot.

I Saw The Storm Gettin' Closer, And The Waves They Get So High, Seems Everything I Used To Know Here...Why Must It Drift Away And Die?
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #738 on: August 18, 2006, 08:02:24 PM »

I loved the cleverness of it, but I was quite dissapointed with the story line.  Orwell left alot of open ended questions and untied ends.  I thought there would be more things to *think* about other than the acutal reigeme.  Rawr.

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #739 on: August 19, 2006, 01:40:28 AM »

Terry Goodkind - Phantom

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: