Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 10:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228157 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread  (Read 193262 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #480 on: July 21, 2005, 05:40:32 PM »

Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons

my beautyful girfriend mailed it to me this morning cause i wanted this book (gud lov'ha !) .. and it starts good Smiley

A brilliant scientist, passionate poet, and political dissident, Jack Parsons (1914-1952) was one of the most enigmatic figures in history. In Sex and Rockets, John Carter divulges the life of a genius and self-proclaimed Antichrist in a biography that reads like science fiction. Using in-depth research including interviews with Parson's peers, Carter offers an intriguing portrait of this dark figure shrouded in cultish myth, from his childhood to his mysterious death in 1952.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #481 on: July 21, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »

Finished Dolores Claiborne last night, its cool how it had parts that interacted with Gerald's Game, while reading Gerald's Game I was wondering what was goin on when Jessie saw a woman standing and peering into a well, nicely done.

I started "Pet Sematary" today, I have never watched the movie, and the book so far is great.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #482 on: July 21, 2005, 06:48:01 PM »

oooh, D.

I started the Dark Tower series quite literally a few days ago.

It's quite hard to get into, but I am certain that the rewards are there if you can get past the beggining.

According to King, the story doesn't really get going untill the second book...

...So I can't wait. I'm about 50 pages from the end of the Gunslinger, and though I'll admit it is tough reading in places, I'm enjoying it.

It's an epic of mounstrous size though...

...I think that I'm going to have to read a different book inbetween each volume, otherwise I may well not last the distance...

PS: I'm reading the revised edition (obviously)...

...I don't know if I would have made it through the original, given King's introduction.......
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:50:05 PM by used illusions [ aapc ] » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2005, 01:51:21 PM »

I own the first 6 dark tower books, I am still waiting for the 7th to come to my discount second hand book store

Im gonna wait till I own all 7 before I start cause I dont want to read 6 books and then have to wait months to find out how it ends.

King's style takes getting use to.

The Stand is over 1150 pages but the best read Ive ever had so far

If u havent read it, U have to pick it up.

I read Dean Koontz cause he is Stephen King without all the long windedness.

Koontz' stories take off and get u wrapped up immediately, sometimes with King its a slower pay off and it takes a little longer to get hooked.

King is 5/5 with me so far though

The Stand,Gerald's Game,Dolores Claiborne,Misery and now Pet Sematary are all great.

Koontz is 27/27 though, every book is as good as the last and none have disappointed.

The 7th dark tower still costs 35 bucks brand new, no way I can afford that, the second hand bookstore hopefully will get one soon and there it is only 8 bucks once they get it, so im gonna wait.

I hope it picks up for u and I hope I enjoy it once I start. I love huge epic type stories like that.

Let me know when u get to the 2nd book and once u get hooked.

Locomotive
Headliner

Anything goes

« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2005, 05:17:58 PM »

I don't know what it is called in english but I guess "The Emperor: The gates of Rome"...
I have this habit of reading the end of books before starting with them, but since it's based on true events in Caesars life, then you already know...

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
MCT
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2005, 06:40:24 PM »

I started "Pet Sematary" today, I have never watched the movie, and the book so far is great.

I thought it blew.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2005, 06:53:47 PM »

Since nobody else is going to admit to reading it........

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Started off pretty slow and I thought it was going to be a big let down but the ending saved it big time. Not as good as "Order of the Phoenix" but it set up the final book rather nicely.

I'll be nice, for now, and not post who died.

I was just going to post and ask if anyone else had read this, thankfully I decided to check back a few posts first. 

I thought this one was good, very quick read.  I knew someone died, and I had guessed who it most likely would be, but the way it was done is what shocked me.  Very sad.  But a good set up for the next book.  I don't want to post who died either, but I'm wondering if you think its possible the other one involved in that incident is actually on the good side?  No one I know has finished this one yet, so I'm anxious to discuss it!

And for anyone skeptical about reading the Harry Potter series, trust me, you wouldn't regret it.  I ignored people telling me how good the books were for years because I thought they were children's books.  But I actually picked up the first one out of absolute boredom, and didn't stop reading until I was through all 5 that were out at the time.
MCT
« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2005, 06:59:41 PM »

And for anyone skeptical about reading the Harry Potter series, trust me, you wouldn't regret it.

I bet I would.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #488 on: July 22, 2005, 07:53:09 PM »

And for anyone skeptical about reading the Harry Potter series, trust me, you wouldn't regret it.

I bet I would.

Whatever.  Don't read it then.  I'm sure you are too smart for it anyway. Roll Eyes
MCT
« Reply #489 on: July 23, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »

I bet I would.

Whatever.? Don't read it then.? I'm sure you are too smart for it anyway. Roll Eyes

Yes, yes. I'm a condescending prick. I know. But all I strictly meant was that in all likelihood I probably would regret reading a Harry Potter book. Don't hate me too much.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2005, 04:25:53 PM »

Meh.

He probably would regret it.

I certainly don't.

It takes me about two days to read a Harry Potter book, and don't consider it a waste of my time.

I enjoy them, and while I would give each book 4/5ish, that is strictly on a level of enjoyment scale...

...Not, let us say, a Dickens one...

When regarded as pieces of fine literature they are, well, not.

As good entertainment...

...they're great.

It's the same with how I view films.

While I would give Independance Day a 4/5...

...That, too, would be strictly on an enteraintment value, scale, so to say.

As a 'film'? On, lets say this time, a Kubrik scale...

..I wouldn't even bother rating it. It wouldn't make the grade.

I just enjoy the film, therefore while it has it's merits, they are strictly on another level.

It all comes down to...

...why you would want to read the Harry Potter books.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 04:35:57 PM by used illusions [ aapc ] » Logged

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2005, 08:41:35 PM »

Used Illusions you are right.  It takes no time at all to read Harry Potter.  And they are very engaging, once you get into them they are hard to put down.  I'm not saying they are Lord of the Rings, which are clearly more complex and just, well, better.  But they are fun.  So lighten up, spend $5 and a couple days, depending on how fast you read.  You might be pleasantly surprised. 

I guess if you like to brag to people about what you've read, Harry Potter isn't good for that.  It won't make you feel smarter than anyone else at a party, except for the fact that you can actually read. 

So how do you choose what you read?  Because if its by recommendation, I've never heard anyone who has read Harry Potter say that it wasn't worth it.
MCT
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2005, 09:15:07 PM »

Jim the Wise. You're on the money there honey... Kiss

But Me the Me wouldn't read 'em because of all of the other books out there just waiting to be devoured. Low on the list. That, and I brag about what I've read, and...well...Harry Potter isn't good for that.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2005, 10:35:41 PM »

But Me the Me wouldn't read 'em because of all of the other books out there just waiting to be devoured. Low on the list. That, and I brag about what I've read, and...well...Harry Potter isn't good for that.

Bah!  Now I remember you... you're the guy from Good Will Hunting 2: It's Hunting Season!
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2005, 10:44:14 PM »

Bah!  Now I remember you... you're the guy from Good Will Hunting 2: It's Hunting Season!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
MikeB
« Reply #495 on: July 25, 2005, 05:34:36 PM »

"Hot Rod" cuz I think the 50's greaser era was awesome and the greasers themselves were tough guys who got all the hot chicks.Ever saw the movie "Cry-Baby" ? "I never believed in ghosts until..." was fucking scary as hell , it was all true stories from people around the country, it seemed so real when I read them, I lost my old one so I  need to purchase a new copy! Angry
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #496 on: July 25, 2005, 07:53:34 PM »

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, started a bit slow bit picked up and set the stage for the final book really well. .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #497 on: July 25, 2005, 10:56:14 PM »

MCT how come u didnt like Pet Sematary?

I am 300 pages in only 73 to go and this book is pretty damn good so far. I havent been disappointed by King yet either.

Ive read 30 great books in a row now.

After Pet Sematary Im probably gonna read "Rose Madder" by Stephen King.

Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #498 on: July 26, 2005, 04:10:42 AM »

The Stand is over 1150 pages but the best read Ive ever had so far

Wow D !!!! The Stand is also my favorite S. King's novel !!!? ok I've never met someone who agrees w/ me on this ... People always use to praise the Classics : Carrie - Christine - The Dark Half.
I liked them too but you can find so much in the Stand !

For now I've just finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince ! it's such a pleasure to read about Hogwarts every summer. Too bad next year it will be all over !? Grin
(And Sterling I'm still wondering the same thing about the killer, I still have hope that it was what was planned by the one who died - trying not to include a spoiler in here  Grin)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 04:18:44 AM by Rain » Logged

The force ... the force ...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2005, 04:09:11 PM »

I am reading "Carrie" right now, its great, not in "The Stand's" league,  but very good.

I have "The Dark Half" I may read it after Carrie.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: