Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:30:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread  (Read 205634 times)
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #420 on: May 31, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »

Reading Angels & Demons now. Half way through and so far I like it better than DaVinci Code.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #421 on: May 31, 2005, 06:13:44 PM »

can i ask a question? where do you find time to read all these novels?...do you not have jobs? sleep? wife and kids? make dinner? go out? sex? drink?...as well as posting on forums...just curious cos i havent got time to read for any length of time and it drives me crazy

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
MCT
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2005, 06:23:46 PM »

Being a self-respecting literary aficionado, I make the time. That, and I'm currently unemployed.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention either that I'm usually somewhere in fantasy land when most normal people are out there doing normal things.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2005, 06:31:37 PM »

Blood Canticle by Anne Rice. Finally.
How is it by the way?  I need to read the last two in the Vampire series.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
MCT
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2005, 07:12:53 PM »

Open-minded Anne Rice fans won't find it too bad. That said, it's different. I'll refrain from telling you why though, as it's worth going into the book ignorant of the aforementioned difference.

Now, don't dare read it before you tackle Blackwood Farm, because that novel is needed in order to fully appreciate Blood Canticle.

And if you haven't already read the Mayfair series (Witching Hour, Lasher and Taltos) it would certainly give you a much broader angle from which to attack this book if you did. For as you may know, the Mayfair Witches and the Vampire Chronicles take place in the same "universe" as well as directly tie into each other; Merrick doesn't really count seeing as how she (Merrick Mayfair) isn't really a member of the First Street family; Oncle Julien aside of course...

Is it a good conclusion to the Vampire Chronicles? No. Atrocious ending to an excellent series. But it's a decent novel all in all.

How did you find Blood & Gold, btw?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #425 on: May 31, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »

Open-minded Anne Rice fans won't find it too bad. That said, it's different. I'll refrain from telling you why though, as it's worth going into the book ignorant of the aforementioned difference.

Now, don't dare read it before you tackle Blackwood Farm, because that novel is needed in order to fully appreciate Blood Canticle.

And if you haven't already read the Mayfair series (Witching Hour, Lasher and Taltos) it would certainly give you a much broader angle from which to attack this book if you did. For as you may know, the Mayfair Witches and the Vampire Chronicles take place in the same "universe" as well as directly tie into each other; Merrick doesn't really count seeing as how she (Merrick Mayfair) isn't really a member of the First Street family; Oncle Julien aside of course...

Is it a good conclusion to the Vampire Chronicles? No. Atrocious ending to an excellent series. But it's a decent novel all in all.

How did you find Blood & Gold, btw?
I thought it was great, although it did get a little boring in the middle when Marius starts his fascination with that famous painter-can't remember his name?.   BTW is Blood Canticle really really the end of this great series?

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
MCT
« Reply #426 on: June 01, 2005, 12:11:58 PM »

I thought it was great, although it did get a little boring in the middle when Marius starts his fascination with that famous painter-can't remember his name?.

Fra Fillipo wasn't it? Or something like that...

BTW is Blood Canticle really really the end of this great series?

Supposedly it's the official conclusion to the Vampire Chronicles proper. But according to my buddy, Prometheus, the New Tales Of the Vampires (a la Pandora and Vittorio The Vampire) are going to be continued. Personally though I haven't heard anything official.

Best (not necessarily your favorite) book of the series?
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2005, 04:25:34 PM »

Being a self-respecting literary aficionado, I make the time. That, and I'm currently unemployed.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention either that I'm usually somewhere in fantasy land when most normal people are out there doing normal things.

lmao!!!...ok i guess that rules you out from normal society lol...how many hours do you normally read a day?...i can manage maybe half an hour most days...

i know this isnt books related but have you seen this site? http://www.newvoyages.com

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #428 on: June 01, 2005, 04:42:27 PM »

What he said, I can usually polish off a 400 page novel in 3 nights, when u get a great book it is better than any movie or tv show on

I just finished Velocity by Dean Koontz

this book fucking tripped me out, it has took me a couple days to get over it. very powerful and just an amazing suspenseful creepy story.

Im gonna take a couple week break from reading but U can bet it will be a Dean Koontz book when I start back!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
MCT
« Reply #429 on: June 01, 2005, 04:56:02 PM »

lmao!!!...ok i guess that rules you out from normal society lol...how many hours do you normally read a day?...i can manage maybe half an hour most days...

Believe me when I say that I'm not normal. But then who is, right?

Anyway, my reading time depends on many different factors, so I can't even give you an average estimate that's anywhere near accurate. So suffice it to say that I simply make (and sometimes have!) all the time I need. Well, not all the time...but you get my drift...

Oh, and why only 30 mins a day?

i know this isnt books related but have you seen this site? http://www.newvoyages.com

Never seen it before today. Interesting. Nerd heaven even... drool

But like so many things, it's much too naive for my tastes (note the first name basis on which The Great Bird Of The Galaxy - Roddenberry - is addressed, and such idyllic notions as the Venus Project).

Interesting all the same though, like I said.

And one more thing:

Go to fuck with your stupid ole Dean Koontz, D! rant!

Nah, just joking. But...like...is he all you read?

I suppose I can't really say anything though. I mean if you like it so much, why not huh?

Anyway...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #430 on: June 01, 2005, 05:01:02 PM »

He has about 60 books, Ive read 25 and have 7 more on my bookshelf, so after I read the 7 I have left I am gonna branch out and discover other writers.

I just love his style and he is 25 out of 25 so far, out of 25 reads everyone of them have been great and as good as the book before, so I figure why fuck up a good thing?

MCT
« Reply #431 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »

He has about 60 books, Ive read 25 and have 7 more on my bookshelf, so after I read the 7 I have left I am gonna branch out and discover other writers.

I just love his style and he is 25 out of 25 so far, out of 25 reads everyone of them have been great and as good as the book before, so I figure why fuck up a good thing?

Why indeed...

But yeah, I know what you mean.

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2005, 09:33:44 PM »

D you should check out Chuck Palahniukwork. ok

Finished "THe Door To December"by Dean Koontz it was really good

Now I'm fixing to start on "Intensity"by Dean Koontz

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #433 on: June 01, 2005, 11:12:38 PM »

Kick ass dude, we are starting on the same book, cause tonight I am also starting on "Intensity"

someone on my Dean Koontz forum said Intensity was better than Velocity

if it is, then HOLY SHIT!

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »

Kick ass dude, we are starting on the same book, cause tonight I am also starting on "Intensity"

someone on my Dean Koontz forum said Intensity was better than Velocity

if it is, then HOLY SHIT!

Cool. ok

What Dean Koontz forumare you at?

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2005, 11:52:32 PM »

http://www.dkoontz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6&PN=1

click on that

I am Candy Pollard on that site

CandyPollard is one of the greatest killers in a Dean Koontz book, he is featured in the book "The Bad Place" which u should definitely read. He is insane and fucking brutal!

there is a Dean Koontz forum and then a book review forum

Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2005, 03:14:37 PM »

Believe me when I say that I'm not normal. But then who is, right?

Anyway, my reading time depends on many different factors, so I can't even give you an average estimate that's anywhere near accurate. So suffice it to say that I simply make (and sometimes have!) all the time I need. Well, not all the time...but you get my drift...

Oh, and why only 30 mins a day?

Never seen it before today. Interesting. Nerd heaven even... drool

But like so many things, it's much too naive for my tastes (note the first name basis on which The Great Bird Of The Galaxy - Roddenberry - is addressed, and such idyllic notions as the Venus Project).

Interesting all the same though, like I said.

exactly , its all relativity...

30 minutes...hmmm i work 9 hours a day, travel, 2 hours...on the internet for about 2-3 hours...and up to an hour of exercise/weights at least every 2nd day...and all the other little things that take my time up...and of course sleeping

ahhh...it was only to watch the newly made episodes of Star Trek TOS...didnt really look at any of the other pages on the site...but you didnt know that so shame on me for not telling you  Grin

(Winston Churchill)"
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #437 on: June 02, 2005, 05:04:16 PM »

I am Candy Pollard on that site

"Pollard" is that Kentucky slang for ass?

Koontz is a great writer, doesnt get the credit that Stephen King gets but I enjoy his books just as much. Been awhile since I picked one of his new ones up though, the last two were Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. Has he done anymore with Christopher Snow since?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #438 on: June 02, 2005, 05:48:42 PM »

Quite Ironically Those Christopher Snow books are a trilogy, the third installment is set to be called "Ride the Storm" I think and he has kept fans waiting for over 7 years and still hasnt delivered the book.

So its ironic that I am on a GNR site and a Dean Koontz site where people bitch,complain and wait for something in the works for years.

I never could get into Stephen King, I think he is overblown and just takes too long getting into the story, I dont need 60 pages on just developing a character u know?

Koontz gets right into the action and keeps u glued from the first page

I think reading should be enjoyable and not a chore.

Kujo
Legend

« Reply #439 on: June 02, 2005, 05:54:41 PM »

Quite Ironically Those Christopher Snow books are a trilogy, the third installment is set to be called "Ride the Storm" I think and he has kept fans waiting for over 7 years and still hasnt delivered the book.

So its ironic that I am on a GNR site and a Dean Koontz site where people bitch,complain and wait for something in the works for years.

I never could get into Stephen King, I think he is overblown and just takes too long getting into the story, I dont need 60 pages on just developing a character u know?

Koontz gets right into the action and keeps u glued from the first page

I think reading should be enjoyable and not a chore.

Hmmmmmm, maybe you're the reason for the delays nervous

You are right about King though. I enjoy his books but he does spend alot of time on minute details. Thats probably why I liked his books that were collections of short stories the most.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »