Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Trailer Park Boys Interview - Axl Mention
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trailer Park Boys Interview - Axl Mention  (Read 6591 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: November 22, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »

NOW | NOVEMBER 22 - 28, 2007 | VOL. 27 NO. 12

Halifax, NS ? Hanging out with the Trailer Park Boys should come with a label like the ones on rap albums. "WARNING: Contains explicit fuckin' language. You will probably be offended. You will definitely laugh. And you'll want to avoid operating heavy machinery afterward."

Consider this random question from Mike Smith: "Ever pack your cock with cocaine like it's a musket?"

I'm in a booth at Bubbles Mansion, the Halifax eatery (and drinkery) owned by Smith, better known as Bubbles. An alcohol-fuelled shrine to life in Sunnyvale Trailer Park, Life Is A Highway is blaring from the speakers, shopping carts hang over the bar, photographs cover the walls and tables ? Bubbles with Geddy Lee and Ed Robertson, the boys on the cover of Maclean's magazine ? and there's a full-size replica of Bubbles's shack decorated with props from the show. No sign of the kitties, though.

Smith sits beside me, glass of tequila in hand.

"I don't drink beer. Strictly tequila. And good tequila, not shit tequila ? 4 Copas, from a distillery in Guadalajara, the world's only certified organic tequila."

Smith's down-home hospitality also includes a pretty mean pizza and a great cup of seafood chowder served up by Shaggy, the Mansion's chef.

Bubbles' trademark fishbowl glasses are in a case on the table (should Smith feel the need to become his high-pitched alter ego, I suppose) next to a photograph of Bubbles, goggle-eyed and gleeful, pounding on Neil Peart's drum kit. Robb Wells (aka Ricky) and John Paul Tremblay (Julian) are across from us working on pints of "Keets."

The occasional patron walks past pretending to look for the washroom while sneaking a peek at three of the country's biggest TV stars. You may like the show or not, depending on how much you enjoy potty-mouthed pot humour. (As Smith explains, "My dad is probably the biggest fan, while my my mom doesn't like when I say 'cocksucker. '")

But after seven seasons, a Christmas special, a feature film (due to get a U.S. theatrical release in January), numerous public appearances and countless T-shirts and beer glasses adorned with their likenesses, it's safe to elevate Bubbles, Ricky and Julian to iconic status. We're talkin' something like Al Waxman, The Littlest Hobo or The Beachcombers.

"Can you imagine if people freaked out when Nick Adonidas showed up at a bar like people do for us sometimes?" asks Smith incredulously.

The boys will be in Toronto for Grey Cup weekend to host one of several pre-game rock bashes celebrating the CFL showdown's 95th year. "That'll be a good fuckin' time," says Tremblay, the most laid-back of the three.

Smith, the trio's obvious ringleader and party planner, Wells and Tremblay are hanging out and shooting the shit about football, rock 'n' roll and how to throw the ultimate tailgate party. And they're doing it as themselves, not their characters, which is rarer than seeing Julian without a rum-and-Coke.

Now, back to Smith's cock-and-bull (or is it coke-and-bull?) question. I should probably be shocked. But after four hours, round after round of drinks and a monster hash cannon that could've been used by the British to defend nearby Citadel Hill from a French invasion ? or at least made the Brits feel better about being invaded ? our conversation's already taken more twists than Mulholland Drive. Besides, at a certain point somewhere between the third and fourth round, I think, things start to get a little hazy.

Sure, there's the usual talk of dope and booze and making TV on a dime-bag budget.

But we also talk about the CFL versus the NFL (the boys agree that the CFL is better, if only because it's faster; see sidebar, this page); whether my digital recorder would fit up Smith's ass (definitely, according to Tremblay); how Janet Jackson's right breast BLEEPing killed the Trailer Park Boys' TV debut in the U.S. ("Suddenly, you couldn't swear or do dope or anything"); partying with Axl Rose during a Tokyo earthquake ("Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"); how NOW's slogan should be that it's so environmentally friendly you can smoke it; Japanese ass models; and how not to be a dick ("I think we've done pretty well at not turning into dicks; if we made sick amounts of money, maybe we'd be dicks").

All that and it's not even 5 in the afternoon. So discovering that Bubbles is a tequila connoisseur comes as more of a surprise than talk of dicks and drugs.

Bubbles wants to be your Cinnamon Girl

While the Grey Cup will see the Winnipeg Blue Bombers take on the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday, the boys are (naturally) much more interested in the parties.

The lineup for the Grey Cup concert series reads like a who's who of classic Can-rock: Loverboy, April Wine, Trooper, David Wilcox. Only Rush and the Guess Who seem to be MIA.

?I haven't seen Loverboy in years,? says Smith, who used to play guitar in the Juno-nominated Sandbox back before shacking up in Sunnyvale seven years ago. ?I got onstage with Trooper last year, though.?

Suddenly, the boys are talking music. No surprise. There's a strong connection between the Trailer Park Boys and rock 'n' roll. DVDs of the show are incredibly popular time-killers on band tour buses. The boys did a cross-Canada tour with Our Lady Peace after season two, and were featured in the Tragically Hip video for The Darkest One. And both Alex Lifeson of Rush and Skid Row's Sebastian Bach have been on the show, while Lifeson and Gordon Downie were in the Trailer Park Boys movie.

?I'll listen to anything from reggae to heavy metal,? says Wells.

?You liked the Flock of Seagulls,? says Tremblay.

?Did I??

?You used to wear your hair just like that.?

?I don't remember that,? says Wells, whose onscreen alter ego sports a Jason Priestleyesque pompadour circa season three of 90210.

?Lots of celebrities like our show,? says Tremblay, who somehow manages to make it not sound like he's bragging. ?Brad Pitt, Eddie Murphy....?

?I have a confirmed report that Ringo Starr watches Trailer Park Boys ? and he does a Bubbles impression,? says Smith. ?I also hear he's a tool.?

When it's mentioned that Neil Young's also known to be a fan and that he's playing Massey Hall in a few days, Smith makes a shameless plea: ?If there's any reader out there with an extra ticket and you want to bring Bubbles to see Neil, get in touch with me, for fuck's sake.?

Which leads me to ask what band they'd love to play with if they had the opportunity.

?I kind of did join Guns n' Roses and went on tour playing with them for two months,? says Smith, who met Axl Rose through Bach. Smith ? as Bubbles ? would perform his song Liquor And Whores in concert. ?It was awesome, amazing, completely surreal.?

?I'd join Steel Pulse,? says Tremblay, referring to the British roots reggae outfit. ?I'd have a pretty good rockin', chillin' time with those guys on tour.?

?I want to recant my answer and say Menudo,? says Smith, straight-faced. ?Back when Ricky Martin was with them. They were nothing without Ricky.

?It's an important question, though,? Smith continues with what I believe is mock seriousness. ?You have to factor in how hard the band parties. You could say the Police, but they're not partying ? they're off doing yoga.?

?The Stones?? asks Wells.

?Not now. Back in the 60s, but if you were in the 60s you'd join the Beatles.?

?Roger Waters??

?No. You'd want to join somebody like...?

?The Who.?

?Not the Who,? says Smith.

?Who's all banged up on heroin?? asks Tremblay.

?Audioslave??

?They're cleaned up.?

?Boys, I'm joining the Hip,? declares Wells.

?The Hip's good,? says Smith.

?I'd party with those dicks,? says Tremblay.

?Nice comfortable tour bus, lots of stuff to do after the show,? Smith says.

?Smoke different things,? says Wells.

?And they don't do yoga.?

And on and on the debate continues, over another round of drinks.

?It's strange ? we've hung out and toured with a lot of bands, and we always seem like the crazy ones,? says Tremblay. ?They're all chilled out and we're like, ?Boys, this is a fuckin' rock tour!'?

?Except for Guns n' Roses,? says Smith.

?Axl is the only one who ever out-partied us,? says Tremblay admiringly. ?Ever.?

The night started in L.A. at Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's pad. Rose even sang a few songs. By 7 am, he'd taken the boys to another house party where he ordered the windows blacked out so it still felt like night.

?This is Axl and just booze, not any other substance ? just liquor,? says Smith. ?He can drink for two days straight. He's a machine.? By midafternoon, Rose was ready to hit a strip club.

?We were like, ?That's it. We're done,'? says Tremblay. All three TPB slept until the next day, missing the Oscar after-parties they'd been invited to.

Not that it was the last red-carpet affair for the three.

Complete Interview here: http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-11-22/cover_story.php

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »

Very cool, thanks or posting.

"Ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!!"  rofl rofl rofl
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »

?He can drink for two days straight. He's a machine.?

Go AXL Go !!! hihi

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »

"Ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!!" I'm tottally pished myself at that moment... hihi

"...It don't really matter..."
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:28:57 AM »

ajajaj... Funny Comments.

Thanks F.M.

beer

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »

Unreal.  Great stuff.  How the hell does somebody get to the co-founder of Microsoft's "pad?"  I have a new-found respect for Paul Allen. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 12:19:45 PM »

Haha, I thoroughly enjoyed reading those parts about Axl.  Just when I was thinking he might not be that big of a party guy these days.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 01:58:12 PM »

Yeah well, I've got my hands on my hips, tapping my foot with that are you stupid look on my face. 

Don't give me that shit, it wouldn't be just a cd if he'd get his ass out of the bottle now would it?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 02:15:06 PM »

fucking awesome!!  rofl
Alpachiris
Rocker

www.gnrla.com

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 02:48:20 PM »

very sad,  party all time = no cd
 no

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 03:24:24 PM »

no

Yes having a good time is so depressing. Sad
Alpachiris
Rocker

www.gnrla.com

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

no cd for 15 years is so depressing!

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 03:47:16 PM »

You are depressing.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 03:49:28 PM »

no

whats sad is you don't use your brain.

The album is DONE, it is in the hands of the record company now.   Confirmed by at least 3 different sources.    What Axl does in his spare time has nothing to do with it.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

Axl stays out of the public eye for years and works on the album = he's a crazy recluse and the album's not out because he's trying to make it too perfect

Axl parties hard while on tour = he has no work ethic and the album's not out because he's too busy partying

Can't win with some people

Funny stories in the interview though.  Thanks for posting it
Alpachiris
Rocker

www.gnrla.com

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 04:01:13 PM »

Axl stays out of the public eye for years and works on the album = he's a crazy recluse and the album's not out because he's trying to make it too perfect

Axl parties hard while on tour = he has no work ethic and the album's not out because he's too busy partying

Can't win with some people

Funny stories in the interview though.? Thanks for posting it

thanks dude!!

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 04:01:54 PM »

thanks dude!!

Go away.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »

axl wears bathrobes ?
nowc thats funny happy turkeyday lol.if im in a earthquake i think id get dressed ha ha '
only axl can pull that off eh ?

the one an only horsey !
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »

Every interview I've read over the past couple of years mentioned how hard the guy can party.  I'm impressed. beer

He's definately making up for lost time.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »

He's definately making up for lost time.

all work no party would make you a dull boy beer
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: