Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Uncle Sam to soldiers: Thanks For Nothing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncle Sam to soldiers: Thanks For Nothing  (Read 13286 times)
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 08:22:20 AM »

Bush could eat a live baby on TV and you'd say the kid had it coming. 

No, you are wrong again.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »

Bush could eat a live baby on TV and you'd say the kid had it coming. 

No, you are wrong again.

dude, just admit it, your California comment was retarded and out of context.  Why is it so hard to say "wow, that is really fucked up the gov't isn't letting these men/women keep their full signing bonus!"

??

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »

Why is it so hard to say "wow, that is really fucked up the gov't isn't letting these men/women keep their full signing bonus!"

Because George Bush has never told a lie Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 03:13:37 PM »

Why is it so hard to say "wow, that is really fucked up ??

I think Zappa described it as "wearing brown lipstick".

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 08:21:09 AM »

dude, just admit it, your California comment was retarded and out of context.  Why is it so hard to say "wow, that is really fucked up the gov't isn't letting these men/women keep their full signing bonus!"

??

Retarded and out of context? Are you serious? We're talking about how screwed up things are and California falls right into that screw-up.

There is absolutely no reason why California, one of the largest economies in the world, can not pay for it's military men and women to go to college. All 49 other states pay for their men and women to attend school. It's insane!

Why is it so hard for you or anyone else to see that?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »

Nope, we were talking about how the military wanted enlistment bonus' back from wounded vets. Typical strawman tactics ... just change the subject.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 08:39:01 AM »

Nope, we were talking about how the military wanted enlistment bonus' back from wounded vets. Typical strawman tactics ... just change the subject.

I.E. servicemen getting screwed. How is that changing the subject? How is that different when it comes to California screwing it's own servicemen?

SLCPUNK
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »

OK, I'll give and engage you in your strawman bullshit for a hot minute.

Are you going to say that sending our troops off to war with improper armor, while cutting vet benefits, sub standard VA hospitals, and asking for their bonus money to be returned after sustaining serious injury while serving their country is the same as not paying for their education? Are you really serious here?

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »

I don't think what Drew is saying is too outrageous a comparison.  After all, a lot of servicemen and women join for the benefits, such as a paid education.  I wasn't aware that California does this, though, so I have a question. 

Is this a recent change or policy?   I ask this because, if there were some who joined and then had this benefit revoked, then that is shameless.  But, if they knew that California wouldn't cover this (which is still bad, mind you), then it's difficult to claim that they were screwed over. 

And I thought the fed payed for military people to go to college after their service...is this just a Cali. Nat. Guard thing?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »

I've never read anything about it myself. Maybe he could provide a link?

Although, really it's what he wants, so we can stay clear of the topic at hand.

But at this point, I'd like to see if what specifically he is talking about.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »

Is this what you are talking about?

State Soldiers May Get Free College Tuition

California servicemen and women would be entitled to free tuition at state colleges under legislation moving through the State Capitol. Assembly Bill 767 would allow the state to waive fees at public colleges for honorably discharged members of the military and National Guard members once they exhausted all their GI bill benefits.

"It's the least that we can do," said bill author, Assemblywoman Mimi Walters, R-Laguna Niguel. "We need to be sure that we're supporting the men and women who are protecting us."

California benefits to National Guard troops lag behind the resources offered by other states. Guard members in New York and Texas already receive free tuition at their state colleges.

California National Guard officials say the disparity in benefits is making it more difficult to recruit and retain troops in this state. They say California has the lowest number of National Guard troops per capita than any other state in the nation.

Walters' legislation would apply to Californians who are honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces and California National Guard members on active duty or full-time federal duty.

The measure went before the Assembly Appropriations Committee today where members voted to put it on the suspense file. That means lawmakers will take it up at a later date as part of a bigger budget discussion. The bill author estimates the legislation would cost about $1 million a year.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=27932
AbominableHoman
Headliner

Cold Hearth Breaker. Fit Ta' Burn

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 01:50:24 AM »

Kind of reminds me of how California is the only state in the union that will not pay for a college education for its military servicemen.

This coming from a state(that's right, a state) that has the seventh or eighth largest economy in the world! How despicable of California! rant

It's not that big of a deal. They already have the G.I. Bill @ $36,000 (with the option of upgrading it by ~$10,000), and that's federal/part of your enlistment contract.

The big deal is jerkin these guys around on armor/weapons issues, and of course dickin the soldiers on their re-enlistment bonuses.

Sure! F*ck it! That's your answer! Tattoo it on your forehead! Your answer to everything!
www.myspace.com/guns_n_roses
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 03:29:01 AM »

I don't think that there are many states that give free tuition to vets, unless they have a %100 disability. I don't know of any, but ther are probably some out there.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 07:02:07 AM »

Are you going to say that sending our troops off to war with improper armor, while cutting vet benefits, sub standard VA hospitals, and asking for their bonus money to be returned after sustaining serious injury while serving their country is the same as not paying for their education? Are you really serious here?

If you remember, I started off my first post in this thread saying this "kind of reminds me." Or did you miss that? I assume you did because your to much in a hurry to start calling me names like your buddy. I never went off topic or tried to change the subject. All I did was mention how this reminded me of something else.

And yes, it reminded me of how soldiers were not benefiting as they should on other levels as well.

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »

laughing my fucking ass off!

no

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »

If you remember, I started off my first post in this thread saying this "kind of reminds me." Or did you miss that? I assume you did because your to much in a hurry to start calling me names like your buddy. I never went off topic or tried to change the subject. All I did was mention how this reminded me of something else.

And yes, it reminded me of how soldiers were not benefiting as they should on other levels as well.

I think it's brilliant that cali doesn't want to pay for education for soldiers. In other words they don't really promote people to inlist themselfs or whatever..

One could argue tho that cali should demand and pay for education for soldiers BFEORE they actually go to war. That way people would be smart enough to not go to war after all!

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

I think it's brilliant that cali doesn't want to pay for education for soldiers. In other words they don't really promote people to inlist themselfs or whatever..

One could argue tho that cali should demand and pay for education for soldiers BFEORE they actually go to war. That way people would be smart enough to not go to war after all!

Maybe if we have a terrorist attack in California we don't send troops there.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »

So, in the end, even accommodating Drew's strawman bullshit, the comparison still doesn't hold up.

Figures.

Shaman was considerate enough to jump on the "naughty California" bandwagon, even though Drew's version is clearly not an accurate portrayal of what the truth is.

Figures.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »

I don't think that there are many states that give free tuition to vets, unless they have a %100 disability. I don't know of any, but ther are probably some out there.

Each state is different, of course Drew doesn't mention that. Instead he heads for the Bill O'really school of talking points, focusing on the liberal California boogie man.

Myself? I blame gay marriage.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 01:52:06 PM »

calling me names like your buddy.

What are you talking about? I haven't even (EDIT: deleted) ... . Maybe you are refering to me calling you out on your fallacy? Perhaps, it is because I inferred that you were a brown noser to the administration? Either/or, it is an observation that is supported by the facts of your post history. I believe one of my favorite idioms is appropriate; "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" e,g; (another one)get your nose out of Bush's butt, and/or quit with the fallacies.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:55:09 PM by fuckin crazy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: