Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 226363 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1200 on: November 19, 2007, 02:17:59 PM »

what about nin? Nothing about his thoughts on grange, industrial and about the change of the scene at the time?

I don't remember anything about NIN specifically.  He does mention the grunge bands had a bit of a standoff attitude towards GNR when he's talking about the tour with Soundgarden.  He pulled a prank while they were playing and they didn't find it so funny.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1201 on: November 19, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »

Ok, in answer ... no, I have no complaints about the book ... wanna know why?  Because I don't have any real reason to complain.  I don't tend to start threads like this about anything.  I just join in occasionally.  I don't mind that a few errors occur.  You know what ... I know where I was born ... but not the details of it.  Only know whereabouts in general.  So is that such a big deal?

Thanks for the answer.

In your world, it doesn't matter if somebody puts a book out to set the record straight but it actually doesn't because there's errors in it and many things are left out....

Did you ever see a movie that had errors in them? I guess you never thought "this is ridiculous" after seeing something totally impossible in a movie.

Second ... You're not GnR fans. 

Hahaha!

Who the fuck are you to decided that?

You're a GnR obsessive.  You don't care about the band on a musical level as much as you care about them on a godly level.  You worship GnR, and you don't give a fuck who comes in and out of it ... you worship the name ...

That's one of the most stupid things I've read. And surprisingly enough it comes from a pompous Slash fan.

Talk about worshiping the name. Here's name for you to drool over: Slash.

By the way Jarmo.

Ask anyone here.  You're THE most predictable member of the forum Smiley  That said ... do I mind being predictable?  Not really.

Yeah, I'm predictable because I don't change. I don't slag off the band this site is dedicated to because I wanna act "cool".

You really are full of yourself.

We're not fans.. Priceless!

Jarmo dude, you bought the book so therefore you supported VR whether you like it or not.

I didn't buy it..... Nice try.

Who cares if there are errors in the book.  Every book has errors.  Why are you so obsessed with trying to point out the errors in this particular book?  Oh that's right.  Because Slash wrote it.  Slash who happened to be in GNR.  GNR consisted of Slash, Duff, Steven, Izzy and Axl.  Now it consists of Axl, Ron, Frank, Richard, Dizzy, Robin.  Last time I checked, GNR did not have Jarmo as a member.

Pay attention because I'm gonna explain it to you:

I care. Because, as I've said many times and you keep ignoring it, I'm not interested in fiction.

If you're happy about a drug fueled fairy tale, good for you.

When did I say I was a member of GN'R?

Care to enlighten me?

Stop kissing ass on your own site.  Andrew made a perfectly good post and you have to go antagonize him.

Andrew?

No wonder you had to run to his defense.

Slash was in GNR.  Slash put forward work into the songs you go and hear the new band perform on tour.

Please show me the posts where I discredit his guitar work in GN'R.

Thanks.

You also attended a  few VR shows once too.

I did. So I don't just judge them based on Youtube clips and reading their setlists online.

Quit hating on the past members of GNR.  We get it.  You don't like Slash.  Stop trying to beat a dead horse.

No, you don't seem to get it.

It's very obvious.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gnr2006
VIP

ASS PARTY 2006 (tm)

« Reply #1202 on: November 19, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »

Jarmo is Guns N' Roses fans, he's the embodiment of a real fan

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1203 on: November 19, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »

Jarmo is Guns N' Roses fans, he's the embodiment of a real fan

really?  i thought he was working on this site for the last 11 years because he was bored.  hihi

nah I agree.  Take a look at his website and thats really all the proof you need.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1204 on: November 19, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »

The truth is, if anything, both are unfair to the fans, either making them wait excessively long for a show or giving them less than the best performances of the songs because you are high and/or drunk.  He is just picking and choosing which disservice to the fans he did not commit to criticize, while framing the other disservice that he did commit in a light that makes him look better.

Well, come on, how many bands over the years have performed drunk and/or high.  Hundreds?  Thousands?  It's part of the scene.  Making people wait for hours?  Can't think of anyone else who makes it a common practice.  I would wager most people would pick that as the worst offense. 
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1205 on: November 19, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »

The truth is, if anything, both are unfair to the fans, either making them wait excessively long for a show or giving them less than the best performances of the songs because you are high and/or drunk.? He is just picking and choosing which disservice to the fans he did not commit to criticize, while framing the other disservice that he did commit in a light that makes him look better.

Well, come on, how many bands over the years have performed drunk and/or high.? Hundreds?? Thousands?? It's part of the scene.? Making people wait for hours?? Can't think of anyone else who makes it a common practice.? I would wager most people would pick that as the worst offense.?

Just because it's part of the scene doesn't mean that it's o.k. to play a show sloppy and give your fans less than your best effort.  And by admitting shows were played sloppy, you are admitting that your performance was less than your best.

A couple of months ago, I saw Slash play live for the first time clean and sober.  It was by far and away the best I've ever seen him play live.  He was so sharp that he blew the rest of the band off the stage.

Try and excuse it however you want to, the bottom line is that playing a show sloppy out of a lack of sobriety is a disservice to fans, just as showing up late is. 

Ali
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1206 on: November 19, 2007, 11:15:59 PM »

Jarmo, why do you continuously tell me I'm a Slash worshipper and that I'm blinded etc ... when I have clearly... MANY times ... stated that I like the new GnR a lot and have said VERY GOOD things about Axl Rose and the new band members too?

Why?

You never seem to notice that.  See... the difference between you and me is that I am not blinded by either side.  I like them both.  You on the other hand HATE Slash as if he raped your fucking mother, and you love Axl as if he WAS your mother.

Dude ... get a grip.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1207 on: November 19, 2007, 11:22:35 PM »

Long interview at about 15:30...

SLASH Interviewed On CBC RADIO's 'Q'; Audio Available - Nov. 19, 2007

Jian Ghomeshi of CBC Radio's "Q" conducted an interview with VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash earlier today (Monday, November 19). Download the podcast containing the Slash chat at this location:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85181

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1208 on: November 19, 2007, 11:46:03 PM »

Jarmo, why do you continuously tell me I'm a Slash worshipper and that I'm blinded etc ... when I have clearly... MANY times ... stated that I like the new GnR a lot and have said VERY GOOD things about Axl Rose and the new band members too?

Why?

You never seem to notice that.  See... the difference between you and me is that I am not blinded by either side.  I like them both.  You on the other hand HATE Slash as if he raped your fucking mother, and you love Axl as if he WAS your mother.

Dude ... get a grip.

Because it's fun?  Wink

I mean, if you have an issue about me correcting some errors in a printed book, why are you pointing out the errors in me labeling you a Slash fan?

It's not a big deal is it? Who cares what I label you as or make up about you! It's only me making up shit about you. No big deal!   Cheesy

Right?

I don't hate Slash. Hate is a strong word. I dislike most of the things he says and I've got less respect for him now than I did when I was in my teens. Tiny difference.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1209 on: November 19, 2007, 11:59:15 PM »

I don't hate Slash. Hate is a strong word. I dislike most of the things he says and I've got less respect for him now than I did when I was in my teens. Tiny difference.

I have less respect for him than I used to as well.  But, that's mostly due to his lack of artistic evolution and some of the blatant contradictions and self serving justifications in his book.

Ali
SamBob1
« Reply #1210 on: November 20, 2007, 12:07:52 AM »

Does Slash talk about the Nirvana feud in his book?

No, I don't recall him making any mention of Nirvana in the whole thing. I think that's more Axl's story to tell.
I don't think Slash wants much of anything to do with Axl anymore, does he?

XD He probably thinks Axl will make a big deal out of the book is Slash mentions anything about things Axl has done.
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1211 on: November 20, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »

You'd think that since Slash knows the hard feelings cause by saying Duff was "spineless" and Scott was "a fraud" and that he "hates Matt Sorum" that he'd at least get the spelling correct of the name of the only VR band member that he hadn't insulted.? no

Axl omitted an essential fact in that so-called press release. He was not present for those alleged admissions; Beta was. Should we consider that an error or omission?
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1212 on: November 20, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »

You'd think that since Slash knows the hard feelings cause by saying Duff was "spineless" and Scott was "a fraud" and that he "hates Matt Sorum" that he'd at least get the spelling correct of the name of the only VR band member that he hadn't insulted.? no

Axl omitted an essential fact in that so-called press release. He was not present for those alleged admissions; Beta was. Should we consider that an error or omission?

It was an omission, not an error.  The press release never actually said that Axl and Slash spoke, it only says that Slash came to inform Axl, etc.  It's like if I say, "My friend called me to tell me that he wouldn't be able to make it to dinner because he had to wrap up something at work."  You can say, "Oh, so you talked to him?"  I can say, "No, I didn't.  He said that in a message."  That doesn't make my first statement a false one.  Just ambiguous.

Ali
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1213 on: November 20, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »

Can someone post the list of errors in one entry?

It's hard to understand the controversy without knowing what errors are being debated. ?A couple observations:

1. Slash can't be blamed for every grammatical error or mistaken fact. His publisher should've employ a competent editor and fact-checker. Apparently, they did not.

2. You can't judge the quality of a book entirely by the number of errors. Even the "best" books, take the award willing "Guns Germs & Steel" for example, are debated for their accuracy, errors and omissions. Read "The Forgotten Man". Not every reader will agree that FDR prolonged the depression, nevertheless, the author brings to light some interesting theories to debate. I think the same could be said here. Slash tells some interesting stories. They are great tales.

3. There is a difference between autobiography and biography. I think it is a matter of fact that a the author will provide a somewhat biased view of his/her subject in an autobiography. ?That is why there is a distinction.

4. The best books are thought-provoking, not necessarily full of facts. I prefer to read books rather than the encyclopedia.

5. Some of you guys take yourselves way to seriously.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:43:30 PM by alternativemonkey » Logged
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1214 on: November 20, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »

It was an omission, not an error.? The press release never actually said that Axl and Slash spoke, it only says that Slash came to inform Axl, etc.? It's like if I say, "My friend called me to tell me that he wouldn't be able to make it to dinner because he had to wrap up something at work."? You can say, "Oh, so you talked to him?"? I can say, "No, I didn't.? He said that in a message."? That doesn't make my first statement a false one.? Just ambiguous.

Ali

I was being sarcastic. I think too many fans hang on every word like it is the "Bill of Rights" and Axl can do no wrong.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1215 on: November 20, 2007, 04:58:02 PM »

It's hard to understand the controversy without knowing what errors are being debated. ?A couple observations:

1. Slash can't be blamed for every grammatical error or misplaced book. His publisher should've employ a competent editor and fact-checker. Apparently, they did not.

2. You can't judge the quality of a book entirely by the number of errors. Even the "best" books, take the award willing "Guns Germs & Steel" for example, are debated for their accuracy, errors and omissions. Read "The Forgotten Man". Not every reader will agree that FDR prolonged the depression, nevertheless, the author brings to light some interesting theories to debate. I think the same could be said here. Slash tells some interesting stories. They are great tales.

3. There is a difference between autobiography and biography. I think it is a matter of fact that a the author will provide a somewhat biased view of his/her subject in an autobiography. ?That is why there is a distinction.

4. The best books are thought-provoking, not necessarily full of facts. I prefer to read books rather than the encyclopedia.

5. Some of you guys take yourselves way to seriously.

Grammatical errors are more nuisances for me than anything. ?And, like you said, not necessarily Slash's fault by any means.

My problems with the book are the lack of detail on the whole contract issue with the GN'R name and the fact that it is mentioned a few times in the book, but not completely clearly and some of the contradictions, hypocrisy and self-serving justifications in it. ?He says in the end that the contract issues relegated the other members to being hired hands, but then earlier says that they would still be members under the contracts, just with conditions (as Slash says "under Axl's terms"). ?He never really says what those conditions are, but even earlier in the book he says that Axl wanted bad-behavior clauses in the contracts. ?He doesn't get into any specifics on what those bad behaviors are, although I'd be willing to wager that it had a lot to do with drug abuse. ?Still, to know for sure, we need to hear it from Slash, Axl or another member.

At one point in the book, he says he never did, and never would, presume to know what goes on with Axl. ?He then later speculates, and although some members of the board haven't been clear on this, it is purely speculation that he thinks that Axl goes on late to build anticipation. ?I thought he said that he doesn't know and wouldn't presume to know what Axl thinks?

He lays the demise of the original GN'R entirely at Axl's feet. ?Sure, he says that is only his opinion, and that others may have differing opinions, including the role of drugs. ?But, he doesn't leave it there. ?He has to qualify that statement about drug use/abuse possibly playing a role in the band's demise by saying that while some shows were played sloppy, drug use/abuse never caused a show to be late or be cancelled. ?As I stated earlier, those are both disservices to your fans if anything. ?Either showing up excessively late or giving less than your best performance because you were drunk and/or high are both not giving the best to the fans. ?He is just picking and choosing which disservice he did not commit to rail against and instead of acknowledging that the other may have had a negative effect that he does not or cannot fully appreciate, he has to try and excuse it.

Never mind that as Jarmo pointed out, Slash had to cut short touring with the second incarnation of Snakepit due to health issues that were a direct result of his drinking and drug abuse. ?His substance abuse HAS in fact comprised his ability to go on performing shows as scheduled. ?Whether or not it happened in GN'R is irrelevant. ?It happened to him and therefore he loses the ability to take the moral high ground on that issue.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1216 on: November 20, 2007, 05:26:06 PM »

"We'll get to that later".

Grin

The spelling errors are mostly amusing. Poor "Kirschner". Not only is he the unknown guitar player in Slash's band, his name is misspelled!  Wink

The fun continues when a guy writing about his life manages to get his place of birth wrong. Great start?

The book has plenty of false information mixed with a lot of stuff that don't really answer questions.

It might answer some, like how much drugs he did. But there's plenty of questions that it doesn't answer.

It doesn't paint the full picture.

You can be annoyed at people because they're mad at you. But unless you know why they're mad at you, it's kinda stupid to point fingers.

/jarmo

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1217 on: November 20, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »

Maybe all they errors will be fixed in the movie ... hihi

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1218 on: November 20, 2007, 06:29:19 PM »

Grin

The spelling errors are mostly amusing. Poor "Kirschner". Not only is he the unknown guitar player in Slash's band, his name is misspelled!? Wink

The fun continues when a guy writing about his life manages to get his place of birth wrong. Great start?

The book has plenty of false information mixed with a lot of stuff that don't really answer questions.

It might answer some, like how much drugs he did. But there's plenty of questions that it doesn't answer.

You can be annoyed at people because they're mad at you. But unless you know why they're mad at you, it's kinda stupid to point fingers.

/jarmo

Again, were you in Guns n' Roses?  Slash was and he clearly states that this book is his perception of what went down.  Funny how you fail to point out the many times Slash actually sticks up for Axl and praises him and respects him musically.  What happened between Slash and Axl is between Slash and Axl, not you, Axl, and Slash.  Unless you were in the band then you have absolutely no way of knowing what went on except to read about it.  Each gunner has their own perception of what happened and again, this is how Slash sees it and he says that it is his version. 

Also, the grammatical errors should be blamed on the editor, not Slash.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1219 on: November 20, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »

Grin

The spelling errors are mostly amusing. Poor "Kirschner". Not only is he the unknown guitar player in Slash's band, his name is misspelled!? Wink

/jarmo

Again, were you in Guns n' Roses?? Slash was and he clearly states that this book is his perception of what went down.? Funny how you fail to point out the many times Slash actually sticks up for Axl and praises him and respects him musically.? What happened between Slash and Axl is between Slash and Axl, not you, Axl, and Slash.? Unless you were in the band then you have absolutely no way of knowing what went on except to read about it.? Each gunner has their own perception of what happened and again, this is how Slash sees it and he says that it is his version.?

Also, the grammatical errors should be blamed on the editor, not Slash.

Axl has also never, ever slammed Slash's musical ability.  So, that I feel is a mute point.

Of course Slash is entitled to his opinion on how things went down.  As much as anyone else given he was there.  But, criticizing the contradictions or errors presented in his book, his stating of his viewpoint, is not the same as begrudging someone their right to have and voice their opinion.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: