Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:23:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 226439 times)
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #1180 on: November 18, 2007, 02:42:25 AM »

...some of Slash?s, um, insightful essays/free verse poetry...

? I don't remember any of that. There was plenty of it in Nikki Sixx's book, and plenty of it was terrible.

A friend of mine has read the Clapton memoir, and said that it is shockingly boring.
GeraldFord
« Reply #1181 on: November 18, 2007, 03:40:42 AM »

Does Slash talk about the Nirvana feud in his book?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #1182 on: November 18, 2007, 08:30:04 AM »

Does Slash talk about the Nirvana feud in his book?

No, I don't recall him making any mention of Nirvana in the whole thing. I think that's more Axl's story to tell.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
r3dhawk6
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1183 on: November 18, 2007, 01:45:52 PM »

Please, some of you are soooo transparent!? Its obvious from so many of these posts that no matter what Slash says or how he says it some of you will find fault with it come hell or high water.? He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.? Your obvious bias takes away any credibility.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1184 on: November 18, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »

Please, some of you are soooo transparent!  Its obvious from so many of these posts that no matter what Slash says or how he says it some of you will find fault with it come hell or high water.  He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  Your obvious bias takes away any credibility.

Funny.

You can say what you want, he even admits that he got his own birth place wrong in his book.

Finding faults isn't that difficult when you know the facts.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1185 on: November 18, 2007, 03:02:05 PM »

All the drug stuff gets kinda redundant.  U did drugs, Here's a pat on the back, now talk about some shit I want to read about.

How bout when he talked about Matt and Axl almost fighting, He said Matt is twice as big as me. LOL! So Matt would've had to be almost 350 pounds. hihi hihi hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1186 on: November 18, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »

lol yeah their is no fucking way matt was 300+ pounds.

Now Matts ego might be 300+ pounds hihi

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1187 on: November 18, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »

what about nin? Nothing about his thoughts on grange, industrial and about the change of the scene at the time?

^^Thanks for posting...I haven't seen a lot of write-ups on the book? 

And yes hihi

me either and Yay me! for once I made it! Cheesy:

...some of Slash?s, um, insightful essays/free verse poetry...

? I don't remember any of that.

could be there's a sort of euphemism.
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1188 on: November 19, 2007, 03:29:01 AM »

When will one of you answer my question: Why can't I, or anybody else who read the book, point out the factual errors in it so that people get the correct facts?

Why is that?

Careful Jarmo, this argument could be used to ask why GNR fans can't point out factual errors in the GNR section about GNR as it stands now?

I don't mean to personally attack you, as it is your board and you can do whatever you want with it, but it's interesting that you permit and promote constructive criticism and illustrate the flaws of guys like Slash and Velvet Revolver but prevent it from the GNR section. 

Having read the book twice, and on several times wondering whether certain facts were correct, I do have a hard time wondering how much of this actually happened.  I find it hard to believe that Slash would remember his drug days with such vivid detail.  Moreover, I do think it's the job of the editor to fact and spell check an author's work, and whoever was responsible should find a new line of work.

But i refute the notion that this is Slash's attempt to write the history of Guns N' Roses.  As he states numerous times, this is his perception on how things went down.  He says that others will probably have their accounts and that most likely they won't be wrong.  I don't think that Slash is conscientiously lying or making stuff up; this is how he sees his past that includes Guns N' Roses.  Remember, Slash is the central character in this book, NOT Guns N' Roses. 

So if you read this book for a history of Guns N' Roses, you'll probably be disappointed.  For that, you do need input from all members of the band, those who were involved behind the scenes, and those who were there at the beginning. 

Now, I dare anyone to start a thread in the Guns N' Roses section pointing out the factual errors of the many press releases by Axl, former management, Guns N' Roses the band, and it's associates (Del James comes to mind).  I've got a feeling that that thread isn't sticking around too long.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1189 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:36 AM »

All the drug stuff gets kinda redundant.  U did drugs, Here's a pat on the back, now talk about some shit I want to read about.

How bout when he talked about Matt and Axl almost fighting, He said Matt is twice as big as me. LOL! So Matt would've had to be almost 350 pounds. hihi hihi hihi

Obviously it was an exaggeration to stress the point that the notion of Axl and Matt fighting wouldn't end very well for Axl.  I don't think you can take those sorts of things literal.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1190 on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »

All the drug stuff gets kinda redundant.? U did drugs, Here's a pat on the back, now talk about some shit I want to read about.

Obviously it was an exaggeration to stress the point that the notion of Axl and Matt fighting wouldn't end very well for Axl.? I don't think you can take those sorts of things literal.

Cheers,

Andrew

I don't know man.  I don't think I'd fight Axl no matter how big I was.  He fights crazy, just look at the St. Louis incident.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1191 on: November 19, 2007, 11:06:35 AM »

Now, I dare anyone to start a thread in the Guns N' Roses section pointing out the factual errors of the many press releases by Axl, former management, Guns N' Roses the band, and it's associates (Del James comes to mind).  I've got a feeling that that thread isn't sticking around too long.

Cheers,

Andrew

PM me that list.

Let's see how many errors you've found.

Amazing. This has nothing to do with any of that, but in order to make this book look great, you have to do this.

There's a slight difference in putting out a press release to address an issue going on at the time, announce shows or whatever and putting out a book that's supposed to put things straight regarding your past.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1192 on: November 19, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »

Jarmo,

You've many times in this thread referred to Slash's book as his attempt to write the history of Guns N' Roses.  I as I rightfully pointed out, the book isn't called "Guns N' Roses," it's called "Slash."  If you look at it as a recollection of his life, and not that of Guns N' Roses, then you can't really argue with his point of view.  Sure there are some factual errors, but are they so wreckless that they invalidate the entire book?

My point about the discrepancy is only to illustrate that inequity between the two forums.  People are allowed to post anything they want, positive or negative, about Velvet Revolver or its current members but the same treatment isn't tolerated in the GNR section.  If I started a thread that discussed why the wait for the new Guns record has become intolerable and listed my arguments in constructive way, I seriously doubt it would see the next day.

You said: "Why can't I, or anybody else who read the book, point out the factual errors in it so that people get the correct facts?"  Many have tried to make the same arguments about Guns N' Roses as it stands now, but such discussions are not endorsed in the other section. 

Like I said, it's your forum, you make the rules.  I just think that the same rules should apply to both forums. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1193 on: November 19, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »

Jarmo,

You've many times in this thread referred to Slash's book as his attempt to write the history of Guns N' Roses.  I as I rightfully pointed out, the book isn't called "Guns N' Roses," it's called "Slash."  If you look at it as a recollection of his life, and not that of Guns N' Roses, then you can't really argue with his point of view.  Sure there are some factual errors, but are they so wreckless that they invalidate the entire book?

My point about the discrepancy is only to illustrate that inequity between the two forums.  People are allowed to post anything they want, positive or negative, about Velvet Revolver or its current members but the same treatment isn't tolerated in the GNR section.  If I started a thread that discussed why the wait for the new Guns record has become intolerable and listed my arguments in constructive way, I seriously doubt it would see the next day.

You said: "Why can't I, or anybody else who read the book, point out the factual errors in it so that people get the correct facts?"  Many have tried to make the same arguments about Guns N' Roses as it stands now, but such discussions are not endorsed in the other section. 

Like I said, it's your forum, you make the rules.  I just think that the same rules should apply to both forums. 

Cheers,

Andrew

What do you think?

This place isn't here to support VR.

I thought it was clear.

This site is here to support GN'R and to have a place for fans who believe in GN'R. Also, we try to keep the bullshit to a minimum. With bullshit I mean lies, false information, pointless speculation, insults, attacks and so on. Basically everything some people think is "cool".

Now, there's a bunch of people who believe in GN'R but want to keep up with what former members are doing. That's why these sections exist.

I keep repeating this over and over because you VR fans seem to think that we have to support that band just because we have a section for them. No you don't. You don't have to like Scott Weiland because we have a section about the band he's in. You don't even have to think Matt Sorum is great because he was in GN'R.

When Slash puts false information in his book, I point it out. I'm only interested in presenting the correct picture and it doesn't bother me that the guy who wrote it was in the band. You all get defensive and annoyed because I point out the errors. It's like "how dare you!".

There's a bunch of people who will read this book and it's their only source of information about GN'R. They're getting the wrong picture.

If you have this huge problem with GN'R, then you might be on the wrong site. Because whining about the album not being out isn't what we're about.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:38:07 AM by jarmo » Logged

SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1194 on: November 19, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »

Well, as far as errors in the book ... perhaps.  But they're merely errors.  A few dates here and there. Who gives a fuck.

As far as bashing VR and supporting GnR?

Blind faith is a bad thing ... on either side.

This forum is one that I come back to just to find out who's bashing who now.  It's pretty pointless. Hence why I only log in occassionally.

It's definitely a forum full of haters.  It's a shame.  I don't give a fuck either way to be honest ... Jarmo can talk shit ... have a go.... slag Slash off etc .... suck Axl's cock... kiss Robin's ass ... whatever .  Doesn't matter.  He's still just a guy who runs an internet site in his spare time.  I mean ... does it matter who is for or against GnR?  I do believe that if this forum is, as Jarmo says, here for the fans to keep up on information about VR etc, then it should be a news section only, with no threads or comments allowed.  Because even tho that's the 'reason' for this part of the forum, it's obvious that is a lie.  Since Jarmo happily posts negative stuff here on an almost daily basis (Jarmo in this case is the name I'm using for all the VR haters in one collective).

I have said time and time again, that I love the new band and think they're very good at what they do ... but I will slag Axl off when he deserves it.  He is a pretty thoughtless frontman in general.  That's fact.  But since no one is really allowed to speak the truth about him in the forum, the main section simply becomes a worshiping ground for the Church of Axl.

I wonder .... if Axl Rose left GnR .... who here would still be nice about him?  Who here would stick with GnR, or be on the Axl side?  Would be very interesting.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1195 on: November 19, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »

Well, as far as errors in the book ... perhaps.  But they're merely errors.  A few dates here and there. Who gives a fuck.

Obviously not you.

Slash's dad seems to care that he got his birth place wrong!  hihi

Do you have any complaints about this book or is this the perfect book?

It's definitely a forum full of haters. 

No, it's not. We're GN'R fans.

Look at the VR fans turning this into being about Axl and GN'R.

SLASH's book!

Man, you're predictable.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:34:50 PM by jarmo » Logged

spaghetti_incident
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1196 on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »

Jarmo dude, you bought the book so therefore you supported VR whether you like it or not.

Who cares if there are errors in the book.  Every book has errors.  Why are you so obsessed with trying to point out the errors in this particular book?  Oh that's right.  Because Slash wrote it.  Slash who happened to be in GNR.  GNR consisted of Slash, Duff, Steven, Izzy and Axl.  Now it consists of Axl, Ron, Frank, Richard, Dizzy, Robin.  Last time I checked, GNR did not have Jarmo as a member.

Stop kissing ass on your own site.  Andrew made a perfectly good post and you have to go antagonize him.

Slash was in GNR.  Slash put forward work into the songs you go and hear the new band perform on tour.

You also attended a  few VR shows once too. 

Quit hating on the past members of GNR.  We get it.  You don't like Slash.  Stop trying to beat a dead horse.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1197 on: November 19, 2007, 01:25:33 PM »

I like how Slash didn't try to make it the definitive GNR book.

I agree it was pretty cool how he said "Others will have their take and they won't be wrong, this is just how I see it"

I thought he was pretty diplomatic in the book, He could've really blasted Axl and told this or that but he even talked about personal stuff Axl told him but Slash refused to tell it in his book cause it wasn't his place.

I don't care how much u love Axl and how much u hate Slash, thats pretty stand up shit right there.

He also admitted how all their drug use and stuff contributed to the band not getting a long as well. so he at least owned up and took some responsibility and didn't totally make it Axl's fault.

I can see both sides of the argument here.

For Axl it must have been hell trying to deal with a bunch of addicts and alcoholics.

For Slash and company it would be a huge slap in the face to have someone force u to sign a contract thing and it would suck to keep people waiting for hours and hours.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:27:21 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1198 on: November 19, 2007, 01:36:46 PM »

I like how Slash didn't try to make it the definitive GNR book.

I agree it was pretty cool how he said "Others will have their take and they won't be wrong, this is just how I see it"

I thought he was pretty diplomatic in the book, He could've really blasted Axl and told this or that but he even talked about personal stuff Axl told him but Slash refused to tell it in his book cause it wasn't his place.

I don't care how much u love Axl and how much u hate Slash, thats pretty stand up shit right there.

He also admitted how all their drug use and stuff contributed to the band not getting a long as well. so he at least owned up and took some responsibility and didn't totally make it Axl's fault.

I can see both sides of the argument here.

For Axl it must have been hell trying to deal with a bunch of addicts and alcoholics.

For Slash and company it would be a huge slap in the face to have someone force u to sign a contract thing and it would suck to keep people waiting for hours and hours.

Just for the record, there was NO forcing to sign the contract.  Any contract signed under duress, like the story of "sign this contract or I won't do the show/tour" cannot be enforced under the law.  It is not considered a valid contract.  The fact that the contract still stands today is proof enough that it was never signed under duress.

As much as Slash said the book was not a vehicle to vent against Axl, in effect, that is what it was when it comes to what happened to GN'R.  He does it subtlely, but he still does it when he says what happened to the old band was all about Axl wanting control to the point where it strangled the rest of them.  Though he does say that others will have their perspective and perhaps that will include the drug use/abuse, he doesn't leave it at that.  He qualifies it by saying though shows were played sloppy, they never cancelled shows because of drug abuse.  The truth is, if anything, both are unfair to the fans, either making them wait excessively long for a show or giving them less than the best performances of the songs because you are high and/or drunk.  He is just picking and choosing which disservice to the fans he did not commit to criticize, while framing the other disservice that he did commit in a light that makes him look better.

Ali
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1199 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »

Obviously not you.

Slash's dad seems to care that he got his birth place wrong!  hihi

Do you have any complaints about this book or is this the perfect book?

It's definitely a forum full of haters. 

No, it's not. We're GN'R fans.

Look at the VR fans turning this into being about Axl and GN'R.

SLASH's book!

Man, you're predictable.

/jarmo

Ok, in answer ... no, I have no complaints about the book ... wanna know why?  Because I don't have any real reason to complain.  I don't tend to start threads like this about anything.  I just join in occasionally.  I don't mind that a few errors occur.  You know what ... I know where I was born ... but not the details of it.  Only know whereabouts in general.  So is that such a big deal?

Jeez ...

Second ... You're not GnR fans.  You're a GnR obsessive.  You don't care about the band on a musical level as much as you care about them on a godly level.  You worship GnR, and you don't give a fuck who comes in and out of it ... you worship the name ...

By the way Jarmo.

Ask anyone here.  You're THE most predictable member of the forum Smiley  That said ... do I mind being predictable?  Not really.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:46:15 PM by SpiritDave » Logged

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: