Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 226500 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1120 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02:46 PM »

the guys WAS an insider in the band, so i find it laughable for you to make such a statement.

Read the replies below your post.

It's one guy telling the story of a band he didn't start and that became big but he was only 1/5 of the band.

While he was in that band, he spent a lot of that period not being sober.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CryGirl
Headliner

Love's so estranged...

« Reply #1121 on: November 15, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »

the guys WAS an insider in the band, so i find it laughable for you to make such a statement.

That's what I call a good point!? rofl

Fuck the press! Axl's the BEST!

www.gunsnrosesportugal.com
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1122 on: November 15, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »

why does it matter what show he rehearsed with horn section?
I have plenty of memories i thought were right but in reality, i was thinking of a tottaly different day or year.

You play 200 or more shows and tell me EXACTLY what show you did something in!? Roll Eyes

Sorry i don't think slash hangs out in GN'R chat rooms keeping tabs on every single event or word he ever said (like we do). He's going by memory, And that's good enough for me. After all he lived that life,
not us.

Because it's a book where he's writing about GN'R's history and the facts are wrong?

Apparently, there's a guy in VR called Kirschner.

/jarmo

To me, if anything, it validates the authenticity of the book.  By having minor errors such as those it proves that Slash wrote it from memory and that it WASN'T written by other people who would go strictley by historical dates, times, etc.  That's what makes the book so good, it's what Slash remembers so if the dates and times might be blurred (which is no suprise considering the amount of alcohol and drugs that penetrated his mind at the time)...as long as the MAJOR points and EVENTS of what happened are correct, it's all fine and dandy!  ok

-KK
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1123 on: November 15, 2007, 02:14:37 PM »

as long as the MAJOR points and EVENTS of what happened are correct, it's all fine and dandy!  ok

And how do you know they are considering his state?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1124 on: November 15, 2007, 02:17:51 PM »

I'm fascinated that Slash didn't mention anything negative about the GN'R songs they recorded. He didn't even mention My World.

That comes in handy later when you tell everybody how flexible you are and you were ready for an industrial album.......

/jarmo

Or better yet....what did he think of "One in a Million"?? You mean they didn't even have a discussion about it that was worth putting in the book.

Of course they did, he just didn't put that part in the book? Roll Eyes? Roll Eyes
You'd think that, with all the controversy surrounding that song, and Slash being against Axl using the word 'nigger' in the song, he would've bothered to put that in the book. (if he did indeed not put anything about that in the book)

I think Slash thought long and hard before putting anything in the book that could in anyway tarnish or hurt Axl....believe it or not...I think Slash really wants a reunion and if he were to piss Axl off by bringing up negative points in their relationship, that would jeopordize any chance of a reunion.

-KK
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1125 on: November 15, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »

as long as the MAJOR points and EVENTS of what happened are correct, it's all fine and dandy!? ok

/jarmo

What do you mean?

-KK
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1126 on: November 15, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »

as long as the MAJOR points and EVENTS of what happened are correct, it's all fine and dandy!  ok

/jarmo

What do you mean?

How do you know his version of what happened is correct considering the state he was in most of the time?

/jarmo

kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1127 on: November 15, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »

I'm fascinated that Slash didn't mention anything negative about the GN'R songs they recorded. He didn't even mention My World.

That comes in handy later when you tell everybody how flexible you are and you were ready for an industrial album.......

/jarmo

Or better yet....what did he think of "One in a Million"?? You mean they didn't even have a discussion about it that was worth putting in the book.

Of course they did, he just didn't put that part in the book? Roll Eyes? Roll Eyes
You'd think that, with all the controversy surrounding that song, and Slash being against Axl using the word 'nigger' in the song, he would've bothered to put that in the book. (if he did indeed not put anything about that in the book)

I think Slash thought long and hard before putting anything in the book that could in anyway tarnish or hurt Axl....believe it or not...I think Slash really wants a reunion and if he were to piss Axl off by bringing up negative points in their relationship, that would jeopordize any chance of a reunion.
He doesn't really come across to me as wanting a reunion that bad, maybe when things weren't going all that well in Velvet Revolver, but now...I'm not so sure. He kind of comes across to me as him finding it unbelievable that people still go to GNR shows (aka the 'people should be made aware that the line up isn't the original line up' stuff that he said when he was on Howard Stern's radio show) Plus it's not exactly a secret that Slash was against Axl using the word 'nigger' in One In A Million...he said it numerous times in interviews.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1128 on: November 15, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »

Legendary GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash will sign copies of his self-titled memoir, "Slash", in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Monday, November 19 at 7:00 p.m. at Chapters Festival Hall.

From Blabbermouth.net

I seen that...Im thinking about making the trip up..I got screwed over on meeting him over the summer with that whole VIP thing so I'd liek it...Anyone ever been to these? Do you have to buy his book there or just have it with you? can you get pictures or?

Almost always at a book signing they make you buy a copy of the book to get a signature.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1129 on: November 15, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »

/jarmo

He doesn't really come across to me as wanting a reunion that bad, maybe when things weren't going all that well in Velvet Revolver, but now...I'm not so sure. He kind of comes across to me as him finding it unbelievable that people still go to GNR shows (aka the 'people should be made aware that the line up isn't the original line up' stuff that he said when he was on Howard Stern's radio show) Plus it's not exactly a secret that Slash was against Axl using the word 'nigger' in One In A Million...he said it numerous times in interviews.

Slash said he was against using the word much later, like 2004 Behind the Music.? So yeah, it's not a secret now.? But it's also no secret that he didn't really want to include SCOM on Appetite.? I find it odd that he mentions neither of these in the book.? I would have found the story behind these creative disagreements very interesting.  Probably more so than the "Axl told my Grandman to fuck off" kind of stories.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:45:42 PM by LunsJail » Logged

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1130 on: November 15, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »

as long as the MAJOR points and EVENTS of what happened are correct, it's all fine and dandy!? ok

Well considering the fact that most of the stuff he writes about is unfavorable to him...about how wasted he was, his fuck ups, etc....why would he want to make himself look bad if it wasn't true? ?From what I've read, his reflections of Axl for the mostpart are favorable ones so if that's the way he remebers it then it's all good.

/jarmo

What do you mean?

How do you know his version of what happened is correct considering the state he was in most of the time?

/jarmo

-KK
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1131 on: November 15, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »

/jarmo

Do you think now things are going well with Velvet Revolver??  Their new album hasn't even gone gold yet!  Illusions both went gold within the first days of release!! 

Yes, he does want the fans to know that the new G N' R isn't the original lineup, wouldn't you??  He's basically saying that when they promote the shows for the tour they always play songs from AFD and they never show any of the new band members in any of the promos, or if they do, they're very short clips and you can barely make a face out of the person.  He's just got tons of letters from fans around the world that thought he was still in the band.

I've seen interviews about the whole One In a Million thing and basically Slash really didn't care all that much at the time....it was more like, "Your a redheaded, freckled face kid, with long hair from Indiana and your gonna say what???....It was anout the whole song in general, not just the term "nigger"....Slash understood what Axl was getting at in the song, he just thought it would be a huge mistake and hurt the band's image.  He has the "this is Axl's thing, I don't have anything to do with it" attitude at the time....he said they all let each other do their thing so noone stopped Axl from doing it.

-KK
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1132 on: November 15, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »

/jarmo

What do you mean?

/jarmo

Well considering the fact that most of the stuff he writes about is unfavorable to him...about how wasted he was, his fuck ups, etc....why would he want to make himself look bad if it wasn't true?  From what I've read, his reflections of Axl for the mostpart are favorable ones so if that's the way he remebers it then it's all good.

-KK
elmir
VIP

« Reply #1133 on: November 15, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »

but his PERSPECTIVE is not the DEFINITIVE perspective

the shit part is....only a small minority of the people who read that book will see it that way....us.....the rest of the crowd will take it as the absolute truth, because its Slash, and many have considered Slash to be gnr.....for years....in fact, many still do....

Axl talked about Slash's visit to his house and some lawsuit against him for deformation of character in the media over the past 10 years.....

i'm afraid this book is not going to help too much.

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1134 on: November 15, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »

Well considering the fact that most of the stuff he writes about is unfavorable to him...about how wasted he was, his fuck ups, etc....why would he want to make himself look bad if it wasn't true?  From what I've read, his reflections of Axl for the mostpart are favorable ones so if that's the way he remebers it then it's all good.

It's kinda impossible for him to deny that he was addicted to drugs. So if he didn't mention that in his book, nobody would take it seriously.

It's easy for him to tell the story about how "nothing was happening" in 1996 and he had to quit GN'R, but does he have an idea of what everybody else involved were going through or did describe the background?

Here's another example to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

You and I have a business meeting.

I turn up ten minutes early, sit down and wait. I drink some coffee, no sign of you, then you turn up 50 minutes late.

We don't talk about it, but I'm annoyed. Then I tell everybody "that guy was 50 minutes late and he was in a bad mood so I decided I wasn't gonna work with him on this project".

Now if I had known that you were late because you were stuck in an elevator for 50 minutes and your mood was due to lack of sleep thanks to your neighbors having a party until 3AM, I wouldn't blame you.

/jarmo

Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1135 on: November 15, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »

Read the replies below your post.

It's one guy telling the story of a band he didn't start and that became big but he was only 1/5 of the band.

/jarmo

I find it amusing that you, as the founder of this site, can honestly say he didn't start the band!  Come on man, the original lineup played maybe 2 or 3 gigs under the name Guns N' Roses and everyone in the band at the time, Axl included knew it wasn't the right fit, until Slash started to rehearse with them....that's when the true band came together.  Slash is just as much a part of Guns N' Roses as Axl, Izzy, Duff or Steve were....actually if you had to say probably top 2 most important members tied with Axl.  Guns N' Roses can easily be compared to Led Zeppelin, the style of music, overall image, songs, etc...Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were the 2 most important parts of that band...hell, they even toured together and most people that went to see one of their shows (I was one of them) said they were going to see Led Zeppelin.  If Axl & Slash would tour together with none of the other original members, most people would consider those two a MORE TRUER VERSION OF GUNS N' ROSES VS. THE NEW LINEUP.  If you don't believe me, let's post a poll on this site.

-KK
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1136 on: November 15, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »

Well considering the fact that most of the stuff he writes about is unfavorable to him...about how wasted he was, his fuck ups, etc....why would he want to make himself look bad if it wasn't true?? From what I've read, his reflections of Axl for the mostpart are favorable ones so if that's the way he remebers it then it's all good.

It's kinda impossible for him to deny that he was addicted to drugs. So if he didn't mention that in his book, nobody would take it seriously.

It's easy for him to tell the story about how "nothing was happening" in 1996 and he had to quit GN'R, but does he have an idea of what everybody else involved were going through or did describe the background?

Here's another example to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

You and I have a business meeting.

I turn up ten minutes early, sit down and wait. I drink some coffee, no sign of you, then you turn up 50 minutes late.

We don't talk about it, but I'm annoyed. Then I tell everybody "that guy was 50 minutes late and he was in a bad mood so I decided I wasn't gonna work with him on this project".

Now if I had known that you were late because you were stuck in an elevator for 50 minutes and your mood was due to lack of sleep thanks to your neighbors having a party until 3AM, I wouldn't blame you.

/jarmo

The only problem with your scenario is that you and I don't know each other all to well, while Axl & Slash (at that time) had spent the last 10 years practically attached at the hip.  What I'm getting at is that it wouldn't be the first time Axl would be late nor the second or the third....to me, that meeting would have been the straw that broke the camel's back....a final incident, after numerous prior incidents, that made Slash realize things were never going to change....Axl would always be Axl, if it wasn't his neighbors keeping him up it would be the maid's dog next time that kept him up all night....see what I'm saying??

-KK
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1137 on: November 15, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »

Do you think now things are going well with Velvet Revolver?? ?Their new album hasn't even gone gold yet! ?Illusions both went gold within the first days of release!! ?

Yes, he does want the fans to know that the new G N' R isn't the original lineup, wouldn't you?? ?He's basically saying that when they promote the shows for the tour they always play songs from AFD and they never show any of the new band members in any of the promos, or if they do, they're very short clips and you can barely make a face out of the person. ?He's just got tons of letters from fans around the world that thought he was still in the band.
Their album hasn't gone gold yet? what kind of an argument is that? just because their album isn't selling that many records doesn't mean that things can't go well in the band internally. Can you invision it 'Dude, we haven't gone gold yet, lets just stop being in a band because this is senseless, what a waste of time' usually people don't start bands because they want to sell millions of records but because they love making music.

As for the original line up stuff. If there's one thing where the press loves to talk about when it comes to GNR it's how GNR broke up and how Axl continued without them....the majority of GNR fans already know.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1138 on: November 15, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »

I find it amusing that you, as the founder of this site, can honestly say he didn't start the band!

You can? Why?

Because it's mentioned in the books I've read?

Come on man, the original lineup played maybe 2 or 3 gigs under the name Guns N' Roses and everyone in the band at the time, Axl included knew it wasn't the right fit, until Slash started to rehearse with them....that's when the true band came together.  Slash is just as much a part of Guns N' Roses as Axl, Izzy, Duff or Steve were....actually if you had to say probably top 2 most important members tied with Axl. 

Did I say he wasn't important?

No, I didn't.

I pointed out the fact that GN'R was started before Slash joined the band. Just like Hollywood Rose was around before Slash joined.

It's a fact, why do you need to argue?

I didn't say any of the AFD line-up members weren't important, I just pointed out that not all of them were in GN'R since day one.

So, if you're telling the GN'R story, you need to start at the beginning. That's my opinion.

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1139 on: November 15, 2007, 03:44:45 PM »

The only problem with your scenario is that you and I don't know each other all to well, while Axl & Slash (at that time) had spent the last 10 years practically attached at the hip.  What I'm getting at is that it wouldn't be the first time Axl would be late nor the second or the third....to me, that meeting would have been the straw that broke the camel's back....a final incident, after numerous prior incidents, that made Slash realize things were never going to change....Axl would always be Axl, if it wasn't his neighbors keeping him up it would be the maid's dog next time that kept him up all night....see what I'm saying??

Doesn't Slash say in the book that he doesn't know what Axl thinks or how he works etc.?

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: