Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 226795 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1000 on: November 12, 2007, 06:18:44 PM »

Please, someone..

If Axl really did this blackmailing after GNR control back in the `90s, wouldn't that be ilegal? I mean, Slash and Duff could say that they were forced to sign something against their will. I guess that never happened, right?

If it was blackmail, Slash and Duff may later have some kind of legal argument saying that they signed the contract under duress.? Perhaps some lawyer or someone more familiar with the law can say for certain.

Ali
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:00:31 PM by Ali » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1001 on: November 12, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »

haha....good point, never thought of it like that!! i think he was being serious though.? Great book, Slash has alot of class and is one of the coolest people ever!!!!
Well, the point is that in reading that passage Slash never says one way or the other if he thought Axl was being serious.? So you can't really tell, but I'm raising the possibility that maybe it was a sarcastic remark.? Something to bring some levity to the situation and break the tense mood.

Ali

I don't remember exactly, I don't have the book in front of me now.  Maybe someone else knows?

Ali

I don't remember that part at all.? Was this after the San Francisco OD?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1002 on: November 12, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »

Please, someone..

If Axl really did this blackmailing after GNR control back in the `90s, wouldn't that be ilegal? I mean, Slash and Duff could say that they were forced to sign something against their will. I guess that never happened, right?

If it was blackmail, Slash and Duff may later have some kind of legal argument saying that they signed the contract under duress.  Perhaps some lawyer or someone more familiar with the law.

Ali

After the band disbanded in '93, '94 legal rights to the G N' R name "supposedly" shifted to Rose who's continued on with the band's name.

"That's actually a topic which we're trying to get to the bottom of," he states. "Originally, the other guys in the band gave it up. Now that I know a little bit more about this stuff, I'm trying to look for a loophole [to get some control back]."

Slash Sticks Up For Axl
Wednesday September 12, 2001 @ 03:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1003 on: November 12, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »

Please, someone..

If it was blackmail, Slash and Duff may later have some kind of legal argument saying that they signed the contract under duress.? Perhaps some lawyer or someone more familiar with the law.

Ali

After the band disbanded in '93, '94 legal rights to the G N' R name "supposedly" shifted to Rose who's continued on with the band's name.

"That's actually a topic which we're trying to get to the bottom of," he states. "Originally, the other guys in the band gave it up. Now that I know a little bit more about this stuff, I'm trying to look for a loophole [to get some control back]."

Slash Sticks Up For Axl

/jarmo

Very interesting.  I think that if A)  If the contract was signed under duress, like the infamous rumor of "I'm not going on stage or doing the tour unless you sign this contract", I think any legal remedies would have been pursued by now.  The fact that no legal remedies have been made (as Axl still owns rights to the name), that says to me that they were not under duress when they signed over the rights to the band's name.  B)  The fact that Slash has to look for loopholes says to me that there is no overtly strong legal standing for him and/or the other guys to get back any control over the band's name.

Ali
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #1004 on: November 12, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »

I would say Slash's book is most accuate.

The man who claimed to hate Pearl Jam and now has a singer who's first hits were Pearl Jam clones.

The guy who's so proud of never causing a show to be canceled in GN'R due to his "activities" but fails to mention the canceled Snakepit shows in 2001.

Please Jarmo, I was a gigantic fan of Stone Temple Pilots and I can't stand Pearl Jam.  They sound nothing alike, and never did.  You'd have to be borderline deaf to think that Scott Weiland and Eddy Vedder sound anything alike.

And he said he was proud of never having to cancel a Gn'R show because of the extreme lifestyle he lived, and the fact that that couldn't be said about Axl, Izzy or Steven.  Izzy couldn't handle it anymore, so he left, Steven was kicked out, and Axl would occasionally not show or wouldn't be able to perform.  He's proud of the fact that he was there every day even though he lived such an extreme lifestyle.

There's no reason to mention Snakepit 2001, it has nothing to do with Gn'R.  He's proud that he didn't become Steven, he's proud that he didn't bolt like Izzy, he's proud that he was there every night, unlike Axl. 

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1005 on: November 12, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »

Please, someone..

If it was blackmail, Slash and Duff may later have some kind of legal argument saying that they signed the contract under duress.? Perhaps some lawyer or someone more familiar with the law.

Ali

Slash Sticks Up For Axl

/jarmo

Very interesting.? I think that if A)? If the contract was signed under duress, like the infamous rumor of "I'm not going on stage or doing the tour unless you sign this contract", I think any legal remedies would have been pursued by now.? The fact that no legal remedies have been made (as Axl still owns rights to the name), that says to me that they were not under duress when they signed over the rights to the band's name.? B)? The fact that Slash has to look for loopholes says to me that there is no overtly strong legal standing for him and/or the other guys to get back any control over the band's name.

Ali

so you think they just gave it away?.........for free?    That I really don't understand all five of them worked hard for the name Guns N Roses and for what it stands for and then they just give it away? I mean gnr is a brand name it was big back then you could buy products, but now....it is crazy big gnr is everywhere, I just came back from Gurnee Mills the huge mall in Illinois, I saw gnr name in so many places and products I couldn't believe.

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1006 on: November 12, 2007, 09:40:24 PM »

haha....good point, never thought of it like that!! i think he was being serious though.? Great book, Slash has alot of class and is one of the coolest people ever!!!!
Well, the point is that in reading that passage Slash never says one way or the other if he thought Axl was being serious.? So you can't really tell, but I'm raising the possibility that maybe it was a sarcastic remark.? Something to bring some levity to the situation and break the tense mood.

Ali

NO offense but did u read the book or just skim over it?

Slash said he was sitting in the intervention nodding off and Axl said something that stood out most of all, it snapped me out of my haze actually

"You Gave us a scare", He said slowly, looking right at me, "we thought you were dead", I thought I was gonna have to find a new guitar player.

How is that being sarcastic to lighten the mood. Slash took it dead serious goin by that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1007 on: November 12, 2007, 10:12:33 PM »

Well maybe Slash needed to get a wake up call?

Personally I don't put much faith in Slash's words, so I wonder how accurate his description of that event really is.

It's a great way to switch focus from the fact that he fucked up big time and almost died.  "Hey, I almost died but let's make Axl look bad".

Several times in the book you should stop and think "is this the whole picture he's painting?".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1008 on: November 12, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »

Please Jarmo, I was a gigantic fan of Stone Temple Pilots and I can't stand Pearl Jam.  They sound nothing alike, and never did.  You'd have to be borderline deaf to think that Scott Weiland and Eddy Vedder sound anything alike.

Maybe in my opinion Plush is kinda similar.

And he said he was proud of never having to cancel a Gn'R show because of the extreme lifestyle he lived, and the fact that that couldn't be said about Axl, Izzy or Steven.  Izzy couldn't handle it anymore, so he left, Steven was kicked out, and Axl would occasionally not show or wouldn't be able to perform.  He's proud of the fact that he was there every day even though he lived such an extreme lifestyle.

There's no reason to mention Snakepit 2001, it has nothing to do with Gn'R.  He's proud that he didn't become Steven, he's proud that he didn't bolt like Izzy, he's proud that he was there every night, unlike Axl. 

Of course there's no reason to take responsibility for canceling shows due to your drug / alcohol problems AFTER you made sure the reader knew your problems never caused any shows to be canceled. in your previous band

First you establish this idea that the drinking and drugs didn't stop you from performing to your fans, so why would you ruin that image later in the book by admitting it happened years later?

Especially since people seem to have short attention spans these days.  hihi

I'm fascinated that Slash didn't mention anything negative about the GN'R songs they recorded. He didn't even mention My World.

That comes in handy later when you tell everybody how flexible you are and you were ready for an industrial album.......

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

« Reply #1009 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »

Ali

NO offense but did u read the book or just skim over it?

Slash said he was sitting in the intervention nodding off and Axl said something that stood out most of all, it snapped me out of my haze actually

"You Gave us a scare", He said slowly, looking right at me, "we thought you were dead", I thought I was gonna have to find a new guitar player.

How is that being sarcastic to lighten the mood. Slash took it dead serious goin by that.

I read the book and I remember those words.  Have you ever heard of a deadpan delivery?

Slash doesn't say why it snapped him out of his haze, only that it did.  He never says one way or another if he felt it was sarcastic or not, I am offering my opinion that it is possible that it was a sarcastic remark delivered with a deadpan delivery.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1010 on: November 12, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »

Please, someone..

Ali

Slash Sticks Up For Axl

/jarmo

Very interesting.? I think that if A)? If the contract was signed under duress, like the infamous rumor of "I'm not going on stage or doing the tour unless you sign this contract", I think any legal remedies would have been pursued by now.? The fact that no legal remedies have been made (as Axl still owns rights to the name), that says to me that they were not under duress when they signed over the rights to the band's name.? B)? The fact that Slash has to look for loopholes says to me that there is no overtly strong legal standing for him and/or the other guys to get back any control over the band's name.

Ali

so you think they just gave it away?.........for free?? ? That I really don't understand all five of them worked hard for the name Guns N Roses and for what it stands for and then they just give it away? I mean gnr is a brand name it was big back then you could buy products, but now....it is crazy big gnr is everywhere, I just came back from Gurnee Mills the huge mall in Illinois, I saw gnr name in so many places and products I couldn't believe.

No, what I am saying is that they did not sign the contract under duress as has been widely reported.  If they did, although I don't know for sure, I would guess they would have legal recourse to try and render the contract null and void.

They may not have understood the full import of their actions.  But,  they have only themselves to blame for that.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1011 on: November 12, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »

Please Jarmo, I was a gigantic fan of Stone Temple Pilots and I can't stand Pearl Jam.? They sound nothing alike, and never did.? You'd have to be borderline deaf to think that Scott Weiland and Eddy Vedder sound anything alike.

And he said he was proud of never having to cancel a Gn'R show because of the extreme lifestyle he lived, and the fact that that couldn't be said about Axl, Izzy or Steven.? Izzy couldn't handle it anymore, so he left, Steven was kicked out, and Axl would occasionally not show or wouldn't be able to perform.? He's proud of the fact that he was there every day even though he lived such an extreme lifestyle.

There's no reason to mention Snakepit 2001, it has nothing to do with Gn'R.? He's proud that he didn't become Steven, he's proud that he didn't bolt like Izzy, he's proud that he was there every night, unlike Axl.?

Of course there's no reason to take responsibility for canceling shows due to your drug / alcohol problems AFTER you made sure the reader knew your problems never caused any shows to be canceled. in your previous band

First you establish this idea that the drinking and drugs didn't stop you from performing to your fans, so why would you ruin that image later in the book by admitting it happened years later?

Especially since people seem to have short attention spans these days.? hihi

I'm fascinated that Slash didn't mention anything negative about the GN'R songs they recorded. He didn't even mention My World.

That comes in handy later when you tell everybody how flexible you are and you were ready for an industrial album.......

/jarmo

It is complete and utter hypocrisy to say no shows were cancelled because of drug issues having HAD shows cancelled because of issues related to your drug abuse.  It doesn't matter what band it is in.  Not at all.

The best part of all in reading the book is how he says that sure, some shows were sloppy because they were wasted, but that what Axl did was unprofessional in being late going on stage.  What, like going on stage so out of it that you can't play the songs correctly is not doing a disservice to your audience?  That was a complete self-serving justification.

Ali
mallrat
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1012 on: November 13, 2007, 12:13:38 AM »

Especially since people seem to have short attention spans these days.  hihi

/jarmo

It is complete and utter hypocrisy to say no shows were cancelled because of drug issues having HAD shows cancelled because of issues related to your drug abuse.  It doesn't matter what band it is in.  Not at all.

The best part of all in reading the book is how he says that sure, some shows were sloppy because they were wasted, but that what Axl did was unprofessional in being late going on stage.  What, like going on stage so out of it that you can't play the songs correctly is not doing a disservice to your audience?  That was a complete self-serving justification.

Ali

That was a bit funny they way he made it like he never had to cancel a show due to the bad habits.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2007, 12:14:20 AM »

ya'll are getting deep with this shit!  I think that is a funny ass line if you ask me.  Axl had a good sense of humor.  I need this book bad. 
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #1014 on: November 13, 2007, 12:31:23 AM »

Personally I don't put much faith in Slash's words, so I wonder how accurate his description of that event really is.

It's a great way to switch focus from the fact that he fucked up big time and almost died.? "Hey, I almost died but let's make Axl look bad".

Several times in the book you should stop and think "is this the whole picture he's painting?".

/jarmo

Exactly.  It's only 1/5th of the picture.  Faith in his words or not, his perceptions & memories of things are his own, and were told, as such, in this book.  Which is why, like I've said before, it's too bad we couldn't have a book put together by all 5 original members, but at this point this is the way it is and this is what you get.  Since this is so much about Axl & Slash - I'm sure that if Axl were to put out a book of his own, it would be the same - his own perceptions & ways of remembering things - which would be no more "the truth" than anyone else's individual stories. 

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #1015 on: November 13, 2007, 12:38:23 AM »

i was just wondering what anyone else thought of slash's perspective of axl. to me it just seemed like the rest of the band was so fd up that axl had no other choice than to isolate himself and take charge. now theres no excuses for his lateness/no show tantrums etc., but it must have been super frustrating for someone like him to deal with the others putting everything they worked so hard on on the line by putting their substance abuse and risk of losing their life before the band. just wondering what anyone else thought.

I don't think Axl isolated himself because of that.  Axl was not perfect, either.  I think his isolation had more to do with his own personal issues he was dealing with, than anything else.     
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1016 on: November 13, 2007, 02:01:40 AM »

It's a great way to switch focus from the fact that he fucked up big time and almost died.  "Hey, I almost died but let's make Axl look bad".

/jarmo

Exactly.  It's only 1/5th of the picture.  Faith in his words or not, his perceptions & memories of things are his own, and were told, as such, in this book.  Which is why, like I've said before, it's too bad we couldn't have a book put together by all 5 original members, but at this point this is the way it is and this is what you get.  Since this is so much about Axl & Slash - I'm sure that if Axl were to put out a book of his own, it would be the same - his own perceptions & ways of remembering things - which would be no more "the truth" than anyone else's individual stories. 

word .

The truth is somewhere between those five guys stories. Each member of the band back then is going to bend the truth to make it look like it wasn't their fault for th break up.

CD will be out when it's out. ....
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #1017 on: November 13, 2007, 04:30:33 AM »

maybe have an intervention wth Dr. phil; ...

Let us hope not. The guy is not only a turd and media whore, but also a fraud. Their differences could be resolved over a good bottle of whiskey.

Obviously not...

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1018 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:27 AM »

maybe have an intervention wth Dr. phil; ...

Let us hope not. The guy is not only a turd and media whore, but also a fraud. Their differences could be resolved over a good bottle of whiskey.

Obviously not...

I think he is say they should all just sit down and talk through all the bull shit. maybe over a bottle of whiskey.

CD will be out when it's out. ....
Megaguns
« Reply #1019 on: November 13, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »

I just finished reading it yesterday.

I thought it was hilarious when Izzy shot on slashes leg.    rofl

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: