Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 02:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227162 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #840 on: November 06, 2007, 12:20:17 AM »

I doubt Slash sat down at the computer and wrote the book himself.  I'm sure it was based off many interviews that Bozza conducted with him.  As a result somethings like the fact that November Rain was inspired by Without You instead of the video was inspired may have been taken out of context.  I'd expect that Slash read the whole book before it went to print but unlike the superfans he didn't analyze every statement and gramatical error.  God only knows how much stuff he found that was corrected before we got the version we got.  I agree that some additional fact checking could have been performed to ensure accuracy, but its not so important to me as getting Slash's perspective on the events of his life. 

It sounds like Slash did review what Bozza wrote prior to publication.

Slash, whose real name is Saul Hudson, explained that even though he had a co-writer, Anthony Bozza, he was still surprised to find that he had to do a lot of hard work on the book: "It was a lot like having kids. It was sort of like, I thought my wife was gonna do all the, you know, diapers and this, that and the other, and I just had to hang out and be cool, and it turned out not to be that way (laughs) ... Writing the book was the same kind of deal. You know, it was a lot more complex than the actual interview part of the thing, which I thought that would basically be it. But instead I'd read it back and go, 'Oh, no, no, no...' and really have to write it myself."

http://www.therockradio.com/2007/10/slash-writing-book-was-like-having-kids.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
EstrangedReality
« Reply #841 on: November 06, 2007, 02:24:47 AM »

Jarmo - you may want to listen to this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-2I4wqnF8

He does a pretty good job of not only sticking up for Axl, but clearly explaining his reasoning behind writing the book and all. He kind of shot down the RS 20th anniversary special as having a lot of factual inaccuracies, which was cool.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #842 on: November 06, 2007, 03:32:38 AM »

Hey! At least Slash himself just released something Guns related? Smiley

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #843 on: November 06, 2007, 11:50:27 AM »

Axl is still friends with many people that were there from the beginning, does Del walk on eggshells? I doubt it.

You're kidding right?? Del James has got to be the biggest kissass ever.? When Axl says jump, he asks how high.

It wasn't just the band members that walked on eggshells around Axl, it was everybody in their organization once they got huge.? On one hand, that happens with celebrities, when people's income is dependent upon them, but I? also can understand the band and others not knowing how to deal with someone with obvious mental issues.

I think Slash could have ragged on Axl much more than he did in this book, and I think he would have the right to.? But I suppose it does him no benefit to tarnish the GnR legacy anymore.?

It's that kind of uninformed bullshit that just pisses me off.

How do you know that Del James is a kissass?? Have you ever personally witnessed any interaction between him and Axl?? Or are you just making assumptions based on some perception you have of Axl?

Give me a break.? You know nothing of Del James, his character, or the nature of his friendship with Axl.? Until you do so, don't make comments like that acting like you know something.? You don't.

Ali
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:03:38 PM by Ali » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #844 on: November 06, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »

I can't understand how you can run a website about Guns n Roses and go to concerts where almost every lick was conceived by Slash, Izzy and Duff...

It's insanity.

Slash fans ARE GUNS N ROSES fans. We like every aspect of Guns n Roses. I don't understand the dichotomy you present here all the time. Sure, I posted a picture of myself with VR. They had a meet and greet. I went to it.

I waited outside venues all across the world to meet the new band, but most nights they come out the back door hammered and throwing shit and they don't give a shit about meeting the fans. After Hammersmith, they had a 'fake exit' and 10 of us waited outside, shared curry with Ron. Meanwhile, 20 feet away Dizzy and Tommy are smashing bottles and walk right by as the fans ask to meet them. I'd post a picture... if they'd take the time to meet the fans. The Suicide Girls wouldn't give me a pass, and outside of Switzerland, Axl was in a bad mood. He didn't meet anyone. I've tried and probably will continue too.

As, I said before, I'm a GUNS N ROSES fan. I stopped choosing sides along time ago. I only wish everyone else would do the same.

I can't even count how many times I've heard of Tommy, Dizzy, Richard, Robin and Frank taking time to take pictures with fans outside of shows.

Sounds like you are making some broad sweeping generalizations about them that have been proven time and again to not be true.  Just because you've had a bad experience or two, that doesn't mean that everyone has.

Ali
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #845 on: November 06, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »

Slash fans ARE GUNS N ROSES fans. We like every aspect of Guns n Roses.

You mean slash hasn't gained any fan since he left GNR while GNR has been getting new fans since then.

sounds sad but probably true as he thanked only GNR fans.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:07:31 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Heron Bonez
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #846 on: November 06, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »

I think it would be safer to say that its easier for Del James to remain friends with Axl, to be his road assistant, than to have a "normal" life.  "Kissass"  may be a lil harsh, but I understand what he meant.

I met Del James backstage at a show and he was cool as shit.  Actually he saw that I didnt have a drink in my hand so he grabbed a bottle of Jack for me and a few of my friends.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #847 on: November 06, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »

Axl is still friends with many people that were there from the beginning, does Del walk on eggshells? I doubt it.

You're kidding right?? Del James has got to be the biggest kissass ever.? When Axl says jump, he asks how high.

It wasn't just the band members that walked on eggshells around Axl, it was everybody in their organization once they got huge.? On one hand, that happens with celebrities, when people's income is dependent upon them, but I? also can understand the band and others not knowing how to deal with someone with obvious mental issues.

I think Slash could have ragged on Axl much more than he did in this book, and I think he would have the right to.? But I suppose it does him no benefit to tarnish the GnR legacy anymore.?

How do you know that Del James is a kissass?? Have you ever personally witnessed any interaction between him and Axl?? Or are you just making assumptions based on some perception you have of Axl?

Give me a break.? You know nothing of Del James, his character, or the nature of his friendship with Axl.? Until you do so, don't make comments like that acting like you know something.? You don't.

Ali

well... you don?t know the opposite also so...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #848 on: November 06, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

You're kidding right?  Del James has got to be the biggest kissass ever.  When Axl says jump, he asks how high.

It wasn't just the band members that walked on eggshells around Axl, it was everybody in their organization once they got huge.  On one hand, that happens with celebrities, when people's income is dependent upon them, but I  also can understand the band and others not knowing how to deal with someone with obvious mental issues.

I think Slash could have ragged on Axl much more than he did in this book, and I think he would have the right to.  But I suppose it does him no benefit to tarnish the GnR legacy anymore. 

How do you know that Del James is a kissass?  Have you ever personally witnessed any interaction between him and Axl?  Or are you just making assumptions based on some perception you have of Axl?

Give me a break.  You know nothing of Del James, his character, or the nature of his friendship with Axl.  Until you do so, don't make comments like that acting like you know something.  You don't.

Ali

...so, you're from another planet?

Cause I have no idea if you're from this planet...

CSS
« Reply #849 on: November 06, 2007, 04:52:30 PM »

So what?

You always have to assume the worst or that everything is going fucking pants.
recklessroad
Opening Act

recklessroad.com

« Reply #850 on: November 06, 2007, 05:35:39 PM »

Page 446-447 where Slash explains when he went to Axl's house. Slash points out that he WAS drunk. He didn't convince me in those pages that he didnt say those things about his bandmates at VR. As he specifically points out that he WAS drunk, its almost like his excuse and maybe he did say those things but was too 'drunk' to realise what he was saying.
I would have thought he would have laid into Axl more if it wasnt true.

I was not there but I do believe that Slash said bad things about the guys in VR because at that time he was not geting along with them  and he was trying to patch something up with Axl regarding a law suit. He probably lied about it so he wouldn't make things worst with VR then they already were.

recklessroad.com
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #851 on: November 06, 2007, 05:38:06 PM »

Page 446-447 where Slash explains when he went to Axl's house. Slash points out that he WAS drunk. He didn't convince me in those pages that he didnt say those things about his bandmates at VR. As he specifically points out that he WAS drunk, its almost like his excuse and maybe he did say those things but was too 'drunk' to realise what he was saying.
I would have thought he would have laid into Axl more if it wasnt true.

I was not there but I do believe that Slash said bad things about the guys in VR because at that time he was not geting along with them  and he was trying to patch something up with Axl regarding a law suit. He probably lied about it so he wouldn't make things worst with VR then they already were.

That's an interesting point you made.

That part in Slash's book was another example of something I read that left me thinking "I wonder if this is the full story?".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #852 on: November 06, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »

Ali

I'm not the one claiming I do am I?

I'm pointing out that it is bullshit to say anything like that either positive or negative when you are in a completely uninformed position.

Ali
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #853 on: November 06, 2007, 06:21:03 PM »

How do you know that Del James is a kissass?  Have you ever personally witnessed any interaction between him and Axl?  Or are you just making assumptions based on some perception you have of Axl?

Give me a break.  You know nothing of Del James, his character, or the nature of his friendship with Axl.  Until you do so, don't make comments like that acting like you know something.  You don't.

I read every one of Del's articles on Axl years ago, he never challenged Axl on anything.  He's also made money off of supporting Axl over the years (writer,assistant, whatever).  Axl has ostracized a lot of people over the years, anyone that dared go against him, so yeah, imo, Del is a kissass. 

And you have no information that he isn't, so don't get your panties in a bunch over someone you don't even know. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #854 on: November 06, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »

I read every one of Del's articles on Axl years ago, he never challenged Axl on anything.? He's also made money off of supporting Axl over the years (writer,assistant, whatever).? Axl has ostracized a lot of people over the years, anyone that dared go against him, so yeah, imo, Del is a kissass.?

And you have no information that he isn't, so don't get your panties in a bunch over someone you don't even know.?

Why does he have to challenge him publicly?  Why would a FRIEND do that to another friend?  If I have a problem with a friend, I pull them aside and discuss it PRIVATELY.  And when it comes to interactions between the two:  YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!  Articles on the man do not equal how they interact.  Your rationale is utter bullshit.  It's based on assumptions on what Axl does based on assumptions to his character and sense of loyalty.  None of which any of us can speak to, including YOU!

Maybe you should go back and re-read what I wrote.  I never said that I knew that he wasn't a kissass.  I am challenging the fact that YOU are in a completely uninformed position to make an assertion either way.  You're completely clueless on the subject yet acting as if you have intimate knowledge on it.

Ali
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #855 on: November 06, 2007, 07:09:24 PM »

You mean slash hasn't gained any fan since he left GNR while GNR has been getting new fans since then.

sounds sad but probably true as he thanked only GNR fans.

not nescesarily.

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #856 on: November 06, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »

I read every one of Del's articles on Axl years ago, he never challenged Axl on anything.  He's also made money off of supporting Axl over the years (writer,assistant, whatever).  Axl has ostracized a lot of people over the years, anyone that dared go against him, so yeah, imo, Del is a kissass. 

And you have no information that he isn't, so don't get your panties in a bunch over someone you don't even know. 

You know nothing about him. I don't see you calling everybody working for Slash ass kissers.

A lot of people have stopped working for him too, so the rest must be ass kissers by your logic?

Besides, Del's not the one who wrote a book.

Back on topic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #857 on: November 06, 2007, 08:49:12 PM »

the biggest issue i had with slash turning up at axl's was that axl's press release said slash was sober. at 5am. now lets be honest did anyone actually belive that?

whether he said the things about his bandmates or not, only 2 people know, Slash and Beta. and they're saying opposite things.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Ali
Legend

« Reply #858 on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

the biggest issue i had with slash turning up at axl's was that axl's press release said slash was sober. at 5am. now lets be honest did anyone actually belive that?

whether he said the things about his bandmates or not, only 2 people know, Slash and Beta. and they're saying opposite things.

Yeah, the press release said Slash was "not appearing to be under the influence".

Ali
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #859 on: November 06, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »

Why does he have to challenge him publicly?  Why would a FRIEND do that to another friend?  If I have a problem with a friend, I pull them aside and discuss it PRIVATELY.  And when it comes to interactions between the two:  YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!  Articles on the man do not equal how they interact.  Your rationale is utter bullshit.  It's based on assumptions on what Axl does based on assumptions to his character and sense of loyalty.  None of which any of us can speak to, including YOU!

Again, why does my assertion upset you?  Is there a Del James fan club I'm not aware of?  I don't have to have intimate personal knowledge of someone to have an opinion on their character, that's the very notion of celebrity.  I have been exposed to Del through his writings, interviews on camera, and how he's interacted with Axl over the years.  I don't know Britney Spears either, but I feel safe saying she's a douchebag.  And again imo, Del is a kissass.  Smooch, Smooch.

You know nothing about him. I don't see you calling everybody working for Slash ass kissers.

A lot of people have stopped working for him too, so the rest must be ass kissers by your logic?

It's not that I know nothing about him, I just don't know him personally.  So?  I have no problem criticizing Axl or Slash, when I feel it's warranted.  I'm not on an either/or team, like some other posters here.  Slash probably has more enablers, rather than kissasses working for him. 

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: