Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227255 times)
Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #820 on: November 05, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »

I didn't say he was a liar based on getting some dates wrong in his book.....  Roll Eyes

/jarmo
Well, you did when you said:

A bunch of stuff is also conveniently not mentioned.

Really?

I called him a liar because he conveniently didn't mention things he has said in interviews?

What else did I say without saying it?

/jarmo

Yeah, "conveniently not mentioned" is a synonym for "intentionally omitted" aka lying
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #821 on: November 05, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »

Slash said he married Renee on Oct. 10, 1991, but it was 1992. I'll write more when I remember.

Correct.

It kinda confused me until I realized it was an error. Because he talks about him dying in 1992, then jumps to "1991" and the wedding.

Yeah, "conveniently not mentioned" is a synonym for "intentionally omitted" aka lying

Oh really.

If I would've wanted to say he lied, I would've said so.

I think he conveniently didn't mention certain things in order to make parts of his story more believable. That's my opinion.

If he had said he loved Sweet Child O' Mine from the beginning, it would've been a lie. Now he didn't say he hated it. In other words, he left that little piece of information out.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:02:07 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Eden
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #822 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:14 PM »

Slash said he married Renee on Oct. 10, 1991, but it was 1992. I'll write more when I remember.

Correct.

It kinda confused me until I realized it was an error. Because he talks about him dying in 1992, then jumps to "1991" and the wedding.

/jarmo
I know, it's a jumbled mess sometimes. I wasn't sure what year he was in because he kept going back and forward in time.

"I might be a little young but honey I ain't naive."
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #823 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »

I'm starting to think that i should wish for something else for christmas Undecided
Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #824 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:40 PM »

I think he conveniently didn't mention certain things in order to make parts of his story more believable. That's my opinion.
Right, so he didn't lie, he just misled people on purpose?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #825 on: November 05, 2007, 07:18:49 PM »

I thought it was entertaining.

Jarmo mentioned that this doesn't work as a chronicle of GN'R because it's just one guy telling the story and something like "The Dirt" works better because it's not just Mick Mars telling the story. Well, that's true - but then again, this is a book called "Slash," an autobiography about Slash, not a biography of the band as a whole. The majority of the book deals with his time in GN'R, but it isn't about GN'R. It's about Slash's experiences in GN'R. He admits numerous times when his memory is limited. He stresses multiple times that he isn't trying to deliver a definitive account of any one thing, and even admits Axl/et al probably viewed certain situations much differently.

I thought he was very fair to Axl, which is something I was concerned about. He defended Axl at numerous points. He didn't blame him for his being banned from that NewGN'R show in 2001; in fact, he stressed that it was management and had nothing to do with Axl. He mentions how upset he was at Scott for attacking Axl last year.

He also admits he was drunk when he went to Axl's house with Perla.

I know it's about his life. But there are several things he says that are more about GN'R than him.

Does him explaining (incorrectly) what caused Axl to write November Rain have anything to do with his life?

It would be totally different if he was just describing what inspired HIM to write certain songs.

As I said, I got the impression he left certain things out.

No mention what so ever if he ever disliked playing certain songs or refused recording them until he changed his mind.

That comes in handy when you later say "I'm flexible" because earlier in the book you've already established yourself as a "happy go lucky guy" who never has any issues with any of the songs.

Then, you never really got the answer to what he really felt like when Scott was arrested for the second time in 2003. I think he just mentions him getting arrested once for drug possession.

Often you don't really get to know what he thought or he just says "but we won't get into that". I understand that certain things might be too personal, but why mention them if you don't want to explain?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #826 on: November 05, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »

Right, so he didn't lie, he just misled people on purpose?

That's up to you to decide by reading the book.

I know what my opinion is and I've posted it.

/jarmo

Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #827 on: November 05, 2007, 07:32:54 PM »

Well I was asking for your opinion.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #828 on: November 05, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

Well I was asking for your opinion.

Since I don't think it's an error, it doesn't belong in this thread.  Wink

/jarmo

EstrangedReality
« Reply #829 on: November 05, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »

I thought it was entertaining.

Jarmo mentioned that this doesn't work as a chronicle of GN'R because it's just one guy telling the story and something like "The Dirt" works better because it's not just Mick Mars telling the story. Well, that's true - but then again, this is a book called "Slash," an autobiography about Slash, not a biography of the band as a whole. The majority of the book deals with his time in GN'R, but it isn't about GN'R. It's about Slash's experiences in GN'R. He admits numerous times when his memory is limited. He stresses multiple times that he isn't trying to deliver a definitive account of any one thing, and even admits Axl/et al probably viewed certain situations much differently.

I thought he was very fair to Axl, which is something I was concerned about. He defended Axl at numerous points. He didn't blame him for his being banned from that NewGN'R show in 2001; in fact, he stressed that it was management and had nothing to do with Axl. He mentions how upset he was at Scott for attacking Axl last year.

He also admits he was drunk when he went to Axl's house with Perla.

I know it's about his life. But there are several things he says that are more about GN'R than him.

Does him explaining (incorrectly) what caused Axl to write November Rain have anything to do with his life?

It would be totally different if he was just describing what inspired HIM to write certain songs.

As I said, I got the impression he left certain things out.

No mention what so ever if he ever disliked playing certain songs or refused recording them until he changed his mind.

That comes in handy when you later say "I'm flexible" because earlier in the book you've already established yourself as a "happy go lucky guy" who never has any issues with any of the songs.

Then, you never really got the answer to what he really felt like when Scott was arrested for the second time in 2003. I think he just mentions him getting arrested once for drug possession.

Often you don't really get to know what he thought or he just says "but we won't get into that". I understand that certain things might be too personal, but why mention them if you don't want to explain?

/jarmo

I do agree with some of that - it was entertaining to me, but I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything. It definitely has its flaws. And I think some of his emphasis on GN'R is there just because he knows so many of his fans would expect him to write about the band, but still, I was surprised at how decently he handled some of the controversial stuff. I kind of expected him to drag Axl over the coals for stuff on the St. Louis riot and all, but it was very fair.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #830 on: November 05, 2007, 08:55:40 PM »

Look the guy was there, he can tell the story in his own words. People over analyse shit and say this wasn't true and that's bullshit or whatever but we're talking about GNR's original lead guitarist. If he tells a story from his first hand experience then its interesting and gives us another insight into the GNR history, its a good read and fair play to the guy!

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #831 on: November 05, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »

Axl is still friends with many people that were there from the beginning, does Del walk on eggshells? I doubt it.

You're kidding right?  Del James has got to be the biggest kissass ever.  When Axl says jump, he asks how high.

It wasn't just the band members that walked on eggshells around Axl, it was everybody in their organization once they got huge.  On one hand, that happens with celebrities, when people's income is dependent upon them, but I  also can understand the band and others not knowing how to deal with someone with obvious mental issues.

I think Slash could have ragged on Axl much more than he did in this book, and I think he would have the right to.  But I suppose it does him no benefit to tarnish the GnR legacy anymore. 
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #832 on: November 05, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »

Personally, I don't care about a few mildly inaccurate dates, to me the book is the chance to experience what it was like being part of the thrill ride of that band, that captured my imaginations, many years ago.  Some real glimpses into their character, and beginnings and dissolutions of friendships. 

I don't get arguing over what specific date they played a certain gig.  Whatever.
charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #833 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:32 PM »

I can't understand how you can run a website about Guns n Roses and go to concerts where almost every lick was conceived by Slash, Izzy and Duff...

It's insanity.

Slash fans ARE GUNS N ROSES fans. We like every aspect of Guns n Roses. I don't understand the dichotomy you present here all the time. Sure, I posted a picture of myself with VR. They had a meet and greet. I went to it.

I waited outside venues all across the world to meet the new band, but most nights they come out the back door hammered and throwing shit and they don't give a shit about meeting the fans. After Hammersmith, they had a 'fake exit' and 10 of us waited outside, shared curry with Ron. Meanwhile, 20 feet away Dizzy and Tommy are smashing bottles and walk right by as the fans ask to meet them. I'd post a picture... if they'd take the time to meet the fans. The Suicide Girls wouldn't give me a pass, and outside of Switzerland, Axl was in a bad mood. He didn't meet anyone. I've tried and probably will continue too.

As, I said before, I'm a GUNS N ROSES fan. I stopped choosing sides along time ago. I only wish everyone else would do the same.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #834 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:01 PM »

I can't understand how you can run a website about Guns n Roses and go to concerts where almost every lick was conceived by Slash, Izzy and Duff...

Oh my God....

What exactly does that stupid (yes, it's fucking stupid, sorry all you sensitive people) question have to do with Slash's book and the errors in it?

Slash fans ARE GUNS N ROSES fans.

Are you serious?

Some of the Slash fans absolutely don't want anything to do with GN'R since he left the band.

Seriously, you lost me.

As I said, some Slash fans reading his book don't have my background. I stand by that statement.

I also stand by the statement that there are VR fans who don't like GN'R. People who think of Slash as "the guitarist in my favorite band called Velvet Revolver".

I don't even know why you feel so fucking upset about what I said about VR fans.

Did I mention you by name?

I don't think so. It's just that you have to argue about something instead of focusing on the topic.

Why even acknowledge all the errors and try to correct them when you can argue about how I "hate Duff, Slash and Izzy"....

I waited outside venues all across the world to meet the new band, but most nights they come out the back door hammered and throwing shit and they don't give a shit about meeting the fans.

Did you wait for VR outside the arena and get that pic with them? No......

Did Slash stop and sign autographs for his fans after the NYC book signing? No......

Do people sometimes have schedules and they have a car/bus waiting to take them somewhere? Yes.......

/jarmo

Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #835 on: November 05, 2007, 11:23:30 PM »

Roll Eyes
No wonder nobody likes this site anymore.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #836 on: November 05, 2007, 11:28:21 PM »

Roll Eyes

Yeah.

That's also on topic.....

Let's just all talk about how much you hate this site and me instead of trying to correct the errors in the book....  beer

If they print a second edition and fix some of those errors, you can all say "Why did they do that? So what if they got his band mate's name wrong! Who cares...."

/jarmo

Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #837 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »

Roll Eyes

Yeah.

That's also on topic.....

Let's just all talk about how much you hate this site and me instead of trying to correct the errors in the book....? beer

If they print a second edition and fix some of those errors, you can all say "Why did they do that? So what if they got his band mate's name wrong! Who cares...."

/jarmo
Never said anything about how much i hate you or this site before...
It seems more like a way to make Slash a liar than merely pointing errors...
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #838 on: November 05, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »

If he had said he loved Sweet Child O' Mine from the beginning, it would've been a lie. Now he didn't say he hated it. In other words, he left that little piece of information out.

/jarmo

hey Jarmo!! is nice to see you are learning something from slash's book ....of course I'm talking about the ....."that's my opinion" part. rofl

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #839 on: November 05, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »

I doubt Slash sat down at the computer and wrote the book himself.  I'm sure it was based off many interviews that Bozza conducted with him.  As a result somethings like the fact that November Rain was inspired by Without You instead of the video was inspired may have been taken out of context.  I'd expect that Slash read the whole book before it went to print but unlike the superfans he didn't analyze every statement and gramatical error.  God only knows how much stuff he found that was corrected before we got the version we got.  I agree that some additional fact checking could have been performed to ensure accuracy, but its not so important to me as getting Slash's perspective on the events of his life. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: