Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227269 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #800 on: November 05, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »

I didn't say he was a liar based on getting some dates wrong in his book.....  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #801 on: November 05, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »

^ You're right, you didn't come out and say that exactly.  I'm sorry for implying that you did.

But the way you've come across in this thread in my eyes (and other people's eyes) makes it look like you're implying that you think he's a lair and that he's dishonest.  Whether you mean to or not, that's the way you're coming across.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
wadey
Legend

« Reply #802 on: November 05, 2007, 03:31:47 PM »

if everyone keeps picking the mistakes in slash's bio.........i just cant wait until popcorns comes out? rofl rofl
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:35:35 PM by wadey9 » Logged

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #803 on: November 05, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »

But the way you've come across in this thread in my eyes (and other people's eyes) makes it look like you're implying that you think he's a lair and that he's dishonest.  Whether you mean to or not, that's the way you're coming across.

As I've stated in the past, I have shown you why and when I think he's been lying. You might not like the fact that I don't agree with a lot of stuff he says in interviews, but you can't say I've disrespected his work in GN'R. Many of you like to claim so time after time, but it's just bullshit.

Also, in his book there are things that he left out that he's said in the past. But that's not an error so we'll leave that to the other thread.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #804 on: November 05, 2007, 03:54:55 PM »

you have the book??? prove it.

Page 75, second row, fourth word: Doritos

of course before they left to south america they had to have the horn section ready, later on there wouldn't be any time to do it.

But Gilby had time to rehearse between September and December 1991?

/jarmo

not to mention they first did a leg or two on the road before bringing the horns and crew out on the road with them.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #805 on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

Is there a thread where people are giving their opinions on the book and the writing? ?Or did they all dissolve into Axl vs Slash arguments and back and forth over geeky ass details like where did the horn players start? ?Yes, I've read the book and noticed all the errors. ?I just think there has to be a bigger discussion here somewhere. ?Point it out if you can cause I haven't found it yet.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #806 on: November 05, 2007, 04:18:23 PM »

if everyone keeps picking the mistakes in slash's bio.........i just cant wait until popcorns comes out? rofl rofl

Oh man,  a Steven Adler Autobiography that would rule

"I founded Guns N' Roses in 1985 when i introduced Axl Rose to Slash...  I did most of the writing on appetite, lies, and 99% of the illusions. Before those Illusion albums came out Axl insisted He get 25% and I only get 15% instead of  all 5 of us making 20% each. He said he should get more money than me, cause i came to band practice a few times high, when infact he was never even at band practice so what what does he know. None of the other band members cared so I just Quit. Axl regreted that move ever since. Now that the greatest writer of the band was gone, GNR would never be the same. They couldnt even try write a new original album without me, They had to make a covers album, it was pathetic. Axl used to call me everyday and beg me to come back..."

I'm just kidding Steven never talks like this, and i like him better than Sorum

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
Eden
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #807 on: November 05, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »

Hi I'm new here and I just read Slash's autobiography. I wanted to post some things that I noticed to see if anyone agrees or could clarify a few issues.

First of all, I did enjoy the book, but then again I enjoy anything that has to do with Guns N' Roses or ex-Gunners. The book was a jumbled mess at times when it jumped from one year and then back to another year.

Slash has said he's a very easygoing and laid-back guy and I don't doubt that, but in some instances it just seemed like he was running from controversy and for the lack of a better word, a punk, (I was thinking of another word that started with a p, but can't bring myself to write that about him.) I've always liked Slash, but this story has lowered my opinion of him. Slash was all about partying and getting high, but when he sensed any real trouble, he fled the scene. He and Axl were supposedly accused of raping a girl and Slash ran. It seemed like he had an excuse for everything that he did in his life that turned to shit. I had read that his ex-girlfriend Savannah had went down on him in a New York restaraunt and as soon as the media got a hold of that, Slash had gotten engaged to his girlfriend Renee. I don't know if that's true, but from the sound of the way he describes things in the book, it probably is.

He was forced into marrying Renee because she wouldn't get back with him unless they got married and she threatened to have her uncle kill him? Huh
Please! I wonder how she feels now that he announced that he spent the night before his wedding with Perla. I don't even know if that's true, I mean what kind of coincidence is that and now he's married to her? That's really fate right there. Roll Eyes I'm pretty sure that I read in People magazine in 1992 that Slash got married to Renee, in the book he says he was married on October 10, 1991. Are we really sober Slash?

Anyway as far as Slash leaving Guns, he says that everyone always had to walk on eggshells around Axl. I find it ridiculous that no one in all of these years had enough brains to sit down and talk things out like adults? I thought it was funny that Axl refused to take the stage unless Slash went out and announced to the audience that he was a junkie. Axl sounds like a perfectionist and maybe he was late because he was contemplating how screwed up the show would be if everyone was on drugs. I know that Slash can still play when he's high, but if announcing that Slash was a junkie was that big of a deal to Axl back in the day, I'm sure it didn't stop eating away at him over the years. Was everyone so terrified of Axl that they let something so great just fall apart? Is Slash not a grown man? Despite Slash saying that there will be no reunion, I thought that even in his book he walked on eggshells. He could've really ripped into Axl, but didn't. It's also funny that it's mentioned that no one in the band had a degree in psychology so they didn't know how to deal with Axl, but come on didn't anyone have any common sense? Apparently Steven didn't, because Slash basically tells the world that he has an I.Q. no higher than 70. Axl is still friends with many people that were there from the beginning, does Del walk on eggshells? I doubt it.

I read The Dirt and like Slash's book mostly everyone was sober and happy in the end. Nikki and Vince both divorced and Nikki fell off the wagon; hopefully for the sake of his kids Slash stays straight, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

"I might be a little young but honey I ain't naive."
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #808 on: November 05, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »

For example, he says he didn't quit GN'R due to musical differences and that he could've done an industrial record.

i know i'm going to get slapped for this.....but why didn't he then, if he didn't mind?

Exactly!!

I love Slash as a guitar player.? My favorite ever.? But, I cannot believe for one second he would've made an industrial record.? Just looking at his musical history, I don't see someone who would be open to that dramatic a stylistic shift.

Ali

There were 3 reasons given by for him quitting:
1. Keeping the fans, bands, and road crew waiting and waiting, b4 plauing
2. The contract and naming issue along with being relegated to hired hands
3. The band dynamics/chemistry minus Izzy and Steven

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #809 on: November 05, 2007, 05:03:37 PM »

Hi I'm new here and I just read Slash's autobiography. I wanted to post some things that I noticed to see if anyone agrees or could clarify a few issues.

Welcome aboard Eden!

First off, if you're going to judge any of these rock stars based on their faithfulness to their wives/girlfriends you'll always end up sorely disappointed.

I think Slash's point about Axl was that you couldn't understand him unless you had dealt with him.? He didn't stand up to Axl enough in his opinion and admits that it became a problem eventually.

As for being sober, Slash has been a raging drug addict and alcoholic most of his adult life.? The book is pretty clear about?that.? I guess we just have to take his word that he's sober now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:08:32 PM by LunsJail » Logged

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
TK1
Headliner

« Reply #810 on: November 05, 2007, 05:42:17 PM »

I just finished the book and enjoyed it.  I did notice some errors along the way, but they were mostly in dates of certain events and such which has been discussed in great detail here.  Those errors didn't bother me so much as I was more interested in learning about the inner workings and dynamics of the original line up and what happened to destroy it.  Those parts I enjoyed and would love to hear the perspective from other members as Slash even mentioned this was his opinion and the other members may have different perspectives.  i think it's obvious Slash is proud of his GN'R time but saddened by the way it fell apart.  Many of us feel the same way.  I can't wait to hear Axl's new album and really hope Slash pushes himself more and more in the future because he is capable of so much more.  As much as I support both Axl and Slash, I just wish they both could get together and bury the hatchet because they both seem to be in much better places now. Slash is finally clean and Axl seems to be a little less controlling and not so difficult to work with, if you listen to the current members.  I don't want to start another reunion thread or 'new vs. old', but Axl and Slash along with Izzy and Duff really had a chemistry that hasn't been matched by anyboyd since.  It just seems the original line up never ended properly or reached it's full potential....
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #811 on: November 05, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »

For example, he says he didn't quit GN'R due to musical differences and that he could've done an industrial record.

i know i'm going to get slapped for this.....but why didn't he then, if he didn't mind?

Exactly!!

I love Slash as a guitar player.? My favorite ever.? But, I cannot believe for one second he would've made an industrial record.? Just looking at his musical history, I don't see someone who would be open to that dramatic a stylistic shift.

Ali

There were 3 reasons given by for him quitting:
1. Keeping the fans, bands, and road crew waiting and waiting, b4 plauing
2. The contract and naming issue along with being relegated to hired hands
3. The band dynamics/chemistry minus Izzy and Steven

I know.  The point was that he had said for years that he didn't like the direction the band was going in musically and then in the book, he says that artistic differences had nothing to do with it.

Ali
Eden
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #812 on: November 05, 2007, 06:02:42 PM »

I like Interview with the Vampire.

EstrangedReality
« Reply #813 on: November 05, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »

I thought it was entertaining.

Jarmo mentioned that this doesn't work as a chronicle of GN'R because it's just one guy telling the story and something like "The Dirt" works better because it's not just Mick Mars telling the story. Well, that's true - but then again, this is a book called "Slash," an autobiography about Slash, not a biography of the band as a whole. The majority of the book deals with his time in GN'R, but it isn't about GN'R. It's about Slash's experiences in GN'R. He admits numerous times when his memory is limited. He stresses multiple times that he isn't trying to deliver a definitive account of any one thing, and even admits Axl/et al probably viewed certain situations much differently.

I thought he was very fair to Axl, which is something I was concerned about. He defended Axl at numerous points. He didn't blame him for his being banned from that NewGN'R show in 2001; in fact, he stressed that it was management and had nothing to do with Axl. He mentions how upset he was at Scott for attacking Axl last year.

He also admits he was drunk when he went to Axl's house with Perla.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #814 on: November 05, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »

I got a theory today.. as he said he was drunk when he went to axl's home.. and when we're drunk we do stuff that we sometimes don't really think of what we're doing and later we don't even remember it you know what i'm talking about (and that happens to our favoureite rockstars too).. maybe he came there, beta opened and said that axl wasn't there or something.. then slash didn't get in and he got desperate and said all those things to beta about someone's being spineless and another one was blabla in VR (you know what i'm talking 'bout).. then he has surpressed that or is embarassed about it..

is that an insane or possible theory?
Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #815 on: November 05, 2007, 06:39:06 PM »

I didn't say he was a liar based on getting some dates wrong in his book.....  Roll Eyes

/jarmo
Well, you did when you said:

A bunch of stuff is also conveniently not mentioned.
Eden
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #816 on: November 05, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »

I got a theory today.. as he said he was drunk when he went to axl's home.. and when we're drunk we do stuff that we sometimes don't really think of what we're doing and later we don't even remember it you know what i'm talking about (and that happens to our favoureite rockstars too).. maybe he came there, beta opened and said that axl wasn't there or something.. then slash didn't get in and he got desperate and said all those things to beta about someone's being spineless and another one was blabla in VR (you know what i'm talking 'bout).. then he has surpressed that or is embarassed about it..

is that an insane or possible theory?
Very possible. I think anyone who's ever been an alcoholic has become belligerent at one time, not to mention blacked out.

SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #817 on: November 05, 2007, 06:50:12 PM »

I found a bunch of errors but I'd like to see all those who love the book, and who say this is the best book about GN'R, to point out the errors they found first.

/jarmo

Regardless of small errors ... it's still THE best book about GnR.  Almost EVERY other book is a rehash of every other one.  Not one book comes out with any more insight ... this one is the best.  Sure, if all 5 members come out with books, that will be awesome.  A view from every one of them.  But until that, we're sitting with this as the best single book to get.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #818 on: November 05, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »

/jarmo
Well, you did when you said:

A bunch of stuff is also conveniently not mentioned.

Really?

I called him a liar because he conveniently didn't mention things he has said in interviews?

What else did I say without saying it?

/jarmo

Eden
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #819 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet but here goes:
I haven't seen this video in a really long time but when Axl got in the fight with the guy who was taping the show, he said. " thanks for the lame ass securtiy, I'm going home," he then slammed the mike down. That's not that big of an error, but even I remember exactly what Axl said.
Slash said he married Renee on Oct. 10, 1991, but it was 1992. I'll write more when I remember.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: