Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227364 times)
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #760 on: November 05, 2007, 03:36:20 AM »

Any postdocs looking for a good topic?

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
elmir
VIP

« Reply #761 on: November 05, 2007, 03:54:38 AM »

correct me if i am wrong:

it's pretty apparent that Slash isn't the guy to tell the "inside story about GN'R".

is this book about the story of GNR or a biography of one man, and his life experiences?

He's just one part of the band and he gets many things wrong.

i've read about a dozen books about GNR so far, and none of them....and i mean none....accurately meet and agree on factual dates, gigs, and events....everyone hints at it....but none of them meet at exactly the same [spot with regards to data....

Marc Canter's book so far is the best chronological history breakdown about this band.....purely because its only factual....very little opinion and emotion.

What makes a book like The Dirt work is that you get more than one guy telling the story. It's not just Mick Mars telling the reader what happened.

we unfortunately don't have that privilege, so until Axl releases one, Duff releases one, Izzy and Steven, and then all the others, we have nothing to compare it to....

Didn't he have a problem with playing Sweet Child O' Mine for years because he thought it was a joke?

yes he did, but after being credited for coming up with the best guitar riff of the century, i'd say we can forgive him for not mentioning his earlier sentiments about a ballad he didn't feel so passionate about initially....

i can see where you are coming from, and i agree, but at this time, this piece is the only "official" bit of storytelling we have.....and until Axl Rose releases one and sets things straight, general public will take this narrative as the truth, the factual truth as to what really happened...

also, Slash has the upper hand when it comes to media manipulation, because one thing he did right post GNR is he managed to get the world press on his side....that's a major bonus point...everyone thinks Slash is an absolute darling who got screwed over.....and everyone loves him....

the truth is slightly different, but it always is....

[/rant]

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #762 on: November 05, 2007, 05:52:53 AM »

he thinks leaving GN'R was one of the smartest things he ever did.

if he really wrote that he's the biggest liar on earth  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
elmir
VIP

« Reply #763 on: November 05, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »

he thinks leaving GN'R was one of the smartest things he ever did.

if he really wrote that he's the biggest liar on earth  hihi

yeah, i agree....if we could go back in time, with hindsight, i'm pretty sure he would have handled the whole situation very differently indeed....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #764 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:30 AM »

he would problably be dead from the hiatus in GNR. as slash likes to point out, he's a junkie whenever his current bad isn't touring, but besides playing guitar he's only good at shotting heroin to his vains.

so maybe it was smart for him to leave. and if it wasn't for that smart decision we would never have had Better and all the great solos Robin Gave us.

So thank u slash. you were the best when u were around, but all things considered, i'm not disapointed one bit for you leaving gn'r.

and Slash did give us a great solo record ( it's five o'clock somewhere).

Chinese Democracy!
darkdays_01
« Reply #765 on: November 05, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »

"It happens when you're a fan..... Unlike if you're just a VR fan who has no idea about GN'R's past or if you're one of those casual readers."

That kind of asinie comment right there is what derails everyone of these threads. I am a VR fan and i have a vast amount of knowledge regarding GN'R 84-94.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #766 on: November 05, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »

"It happens when you're a fan..... Unlike if you're just a VR fan who has no idea about GN'R's past or if you're one of those casual readers."

That kind of asinie comment right there is what derails everyone of these threads. I am a VR fan and i have a vast amount of knowledge regarding GN'R 84-94.

So typical.

Roll Eyes

If you know your GN'R history, you'll notice the errors.

If you're a VR fan or a casual reader, you won't.

It's a simple fact.

Oh, and it must really hurt that Slash thanked GN'R fans. Not VR fans in the book.  Tongue  hihi

Did you read it or are you waiting for the movie?

By the way, since you're all so fucking upset. Of course there's bound to be errors in most books. Even school books have errors.

That doesn't mean we can't point them out does it? Or is that wrong because Slash wrote it?

Why shouldn't we point out the errors so people can get the correct facts about what happened?

Please tell me.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:59:03 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #767 on: November 05, 2007, 10:28:28 AM »

I have a question.  If Slash stated that he does not remember 75% of his time in GNR due to his substance abuse, what exactly is the point of writing a book about things he can't even remember correctly?

Might as well call it fiction then. Roll Eyes
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #768 on: November 05, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »

So have some respect for him for what he helped create,because this site would not even be here if not for Slash and the rest of those guys. You can't be a GNR fan and hate Slash its not possible. It's ok to love the new guys but you have to pay your respect to the old first.

You obviously haven't read any of my posts very carefully.

So if you think I disrespect the old line up of the band, I'd be grateful if you show me how and where I did it.

I'm not here discussing a book I didn't read. I actually read the book.

I'm saying what I, as a GN'R fan, think of it.

With everything I've heard and read through the years, I sat down and read his book.

As I said in the other thread, my point of view is probably different from the casual reader or VR fan who might not have spent years and years following GN'R.

He's admitted many times that he used to hate playing "Sweet Child o Mine".  He's made that no secret.  So he didn't mention it in the autobiography.  Big deal.  Just because he didn't mention it doesn't make that an "error".

I didn't say it was an error.

So I apologize to all you Slash fans because I happened to think "Oh, Sweet Child O' Mine, that's the song with that classic guitar riff that Slash hated. Let's see what he says about it...." when I saw the song mentioned in the book. And then there's like no mention of that simple fact.

This is probably a very nice book if you know nothing about Slash or GN'R. Unfortunately for you Slash fans, I'm not one of those readers.

Now, I understand that in order to have us believe his whole idea that he's flexible about music, he can't say that he didn't want to play certain songs or hated playing it.

It's sort of a similar thing when he says that if he hadn't quit GN'R, he would've died or found heroin.

Years later he almost died and then a couple of years later he found OxyContin.

Same thing about the part when he goes on about how his drinking and addictions never caused a (GN'R) show to start late or be canceled. Fair enough.

But then when he gets to SnakepitII and cancels shows due to him almost dying (guess why), he doesn't even mention the fact that shows had to be canceled.

It just says before a show he didn't feel too good and then he wakes up in a hospital.

Somewhat ironic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #769 on: November 05, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »

I have a question.  If Slash stated that he does not remember 75% of his time in GNR due to his substance abuse, what exactly is the point of writing a book about things he can't even remember correctly?

Might as well call it fiction then. Roll Eyes

It seems to me like many of the people posting in this section would be happy with a book called a biography even if you added some Gingerbread houses, giants, elves and magicians to the story.

hihi

/jarmo

elmir
VIP

« Reply #770 on: November 05, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »

Now, I understand that in order to have us believe his whole idea that he's flexible about music,

is that the message he is trying to portray?
that he's flexible about music?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #771 on: November 05, 2007, 11:07:49 AM »

Now, I understand that in order to have us believe his whole idea that he's flexible about music,

is that the message he is trying to portray?
that he's flexible about music?

That's the impression I got.

For example, he says he didn't quit GN'R due to musical differences.... He says he would've made an industrial record with Axl too.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:14:41 AM by jarmo » Logged

elmir
VIP

« Reply #772 on: November 05, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »

For example, he says he didn't quit GN'R due to musical differences and that he could've done an industrial record.

i know i'm going to get slapped for this.....but why didn't he then, if he didn't mind?

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #773 on: November 05, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

For example, he says he didn't quit GN'R due to musical differences and that he could've done an industrial record.

i know i'm going to get slapped for this.....but why didn't he then, if he didn't mind?

Exactly!!

I love Slash as a guitar player.  My favorite ever.  But, I cannot believe for one second he would've made an industrial record.  Just looking at his musical history, I don't see someone who would be open to that dramatic a stylistic shift.

Ali
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #774 on: November 05, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »

Slash submitted music that was rejected by Axl-I'm not sure what musically Axl brought that would have been rejected by Slash, except for ideas on where Axl wanted to go-in interviews in the past-(in a weekly magazine here in Cleveland in 1995) Slash stated that he submitted music to Axl which Slash was told is 'too retro"-Slash stated that Axl said he wanted to sound more like Pearl Jam-other than Matt Sorum one time I've never heard it stated from Slash or anyone else that it was going to be an industrial record-I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:22:21 AM by Fingers » Logged

libertad
darkdays_01
« Reply #775 on: November 05, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »

So typical.

Roll Eyes

If you know your GN'R history, you'll notice the errors.

If you're a VR fan or a casual reader, you won't.

It's a simple fact.

Oh, and it must really hurt that Slash thanked GN'R fans. Not VR fans in the book.? Tongue? hihi

Did you read it or are you waiting for the movie?

By the way, since you're all so fucking upset. Of course there's bound to be errors in most books. Even school books have errors.

That doesn't mean we can't point them out does it? Or is that wrong because Slash wrote it?

Why shouldn't we point out the errors so people can get the correct facts about what happened?

Please tell me.

/jarmo

I actually read it yesterday/last night.

I will not argue with you, there are some errors i noticed quite a few, you just assume if your a VR fan you know nothing about the past of GN'R.

One thing i did notice in the book though was Duff was probably the most stable member of the band until the end. It seems when Izzy left the band, that was the end more or less.

elmir
VIP

« Reply #776 on: November 05, 2007, 11:24:54 AM »

Slash submitted music that was rejected by Axl

that i also think could do with a bit more explanation....the word "rejection" sounds so harsh.....i'm sure it may have been more Axl not really thinking that those songs were there yet for the next album, he wanted to experiment more...try new things out.....hardly a rejection....

I'm not sure what musically Axl brought that would have been rejected by Slash,

one interview (I think it was Gilby or Duff) said that Slash heard what Tobias had done, said it was absolute shit, and walked out for good.....

elmir
VIP

« Reply #777 on: November 05, 2007, 11:27:07 AM »

But, I cannot believe for one second he would've made an industrial record.

he has the raw talent and technical skill to do anything and play anything....he obviously found his niche in playing, and wasn't too keen on deviating form it....

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #778 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:13 AM »

I actually read it yesterday/last night.

I will not argue with you, there are some errors i noticed quite a few, you just assume if your a VR fan you know nothing about the past of GN'R.

No, I know that many VR fans wouldn't sit and spend hours and hours reading GN'R articles.

I'm not even talking about GN'R fans who turned into VR fans in case that wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about the teenagers who discovered rock music in 2004 and bought Contraband.

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #779 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »

But, I cannot believe for one second he would've made an industrial record.

he has the raw talent and technical skill to do anything and play anything....he obviously found his niche in playing, and wasn't too keen on deviating form it....

I agree that he has the talent.  I have never, and would never, knock the man's talent.

It's just like you said, I think judging by all the records he's made from GN'R to Snakepit to VR, that he has found a niche that he's comfortable within.  The music speaks for itself in that regard.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: