Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 08:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228557 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227485 times)
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #720 on: November 04, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »

I mentioned them in another thread but :
 Slash says Nassau Colliseium is? in NJ.? INCORRECT
H says his friend called him at 8:15 on 9/11/01 to tell him to turn on the TV to see what was going on at the WTC.? First plane didn't hit till 8:46.? Incorrect again!

It's cool your having fun picking out the mistakes, but come on!
So he got the location of an arena wrong, is that a problem at all really?
And I would not be able to recall the time I heard about the 9/11 attacks, maybe to within the hour I could, but this is just nit-picking. Perhaps he was too worried about what he was seeing on TV to think "Geez, what time is it?".

As Jarmo said- if you want to read about drugs, sex and rock n' roll ?(ie, about Slash) that's what the book is.
If you want a fact file, come and read some posts here.

I for one don't care if some arena, times, details are off when I get around to reading it. I care more about hearing some stories and insight from a guy who lived it, rather than how many people were in attendance for the show on May 28 1991, or what stadium they played in on June 27 1992. What a fun book that would be...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 09:11:18 PM by cfcsfc » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #721 on: November 04, 2007, 09:24:48 PM »

I for one don't care if some arena, times, details are off when I get around to reading it. I care more about hearing some stories and insight from a guy who lived it, rather than how many people were in attendance for the show on May 28 1991, or what stadium they played in on June 27 1992. What a fun book that would be...

You want insight into the world of GN'R, but you know a lot of it is not 100% true....

Another thing: He says Del James wrote a short story that inspired Axl to write November Rain.

As far as I know, Del James wrote a story based on Axl called Without You which helped Axl write a song called Estranged.

It's explained in the Makin' Fucking Videos Part II - November Rain home video.

Now, at the end of the November Rain video, it says Based On the short story Without You by Del James. But that might mean the video, not the song itself.....

I'm sure this doesn't bother you at all either. Slash telling the readers what Axl's song is about.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 11:03:05 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #722 on: November 04, 2007, 09:34:36 PM »

You want insight into the world of GN'R, but you know a lot of it is not 100% true....

Yeah, that's fine with me.
I'd rather read Slashes word than some random writting an 'unorthorised' history.
So far this is the only book released from a band member. Untill Duff, Izzy and Axl write a book, this is the only book that can give some real insight into that world.
We get it- it's not 100% true, but do you expect a book from Axl to be 100% true? A book from Duff to be 100% true? A Robin autobiogrphy to be 100% true? Different people, different views.

Maybe you should write a band history? You seem to know all the facts.
But I'd still rather read what Slash has to say.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #723 on: November 04, 2007, 09:45:07 PM »

After reading the book, especially the parts having to do with GN'R, it's pretty apparent that Slash isn't the guy to tell the "inside story about GN'R".

I know you Slash fans all will say "it's because you hate Slash". But I've read the book. Did you?

He's just one part of the band and he gets many things wrong.

What makes a book like The Dirt work is that you get more than one guy telling the story. It's not just Mick Mars telling the reader what happened.

Also, Slash mentions working on songs and what not, but one thing strikes me, he never mentions if there were any songs he didn't like.

It's like he had no issues with any GN'R songs.

Didn't he have a problem with playing Sweet Child O' Mine for years because he thought it was a joke?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #724 on: November 04, 2007, 09:55:22 PM »

We get it- it's not 100% true, but do you expect a book from Axl to be 100% true?

Even your homeboy Slash says Axl is honest, so you figure it out.

I'm assuming Slash wasn't lying there when he said that...... Or maybe it was a typo.  hihi

All I know is that, you can't tell the GN'R story without Axl. It's just not gonna work. It's be even better if you added Izzy to that mix too since those two were there since the Rose days.

You have to remember that Slash auditioned to join Axl's band.

Ask Marc Canter if you don't believe me.

Slash also says that the gig in Seattle was the first GN'R show.

Now in Slash's best friend's book Reckless Road, as well as many other places, it's said that the first GN'R show with Slash (and Steven) was on June 6th 1985 at the Troubadour.

I know, I know. Big deal when and where they played their first show.  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #725 on: November 04, 2007, 09:57:17 PM »

every book has errors. Bad spelling , grammer and facts. it's just one of those things that happens.

Someone else reads.

I have come to the conclusion after reading this thread that this is the first book many of the posters have ever read ... critically anyway.

Do what I do; make an asterix by the error. Then, make a footnote at the bottom of the page with - * errata. On the inside back cover, list the page numbers of the errata. This makes it much easier for further reference and research.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #726 on: November 04, 2007, 10:05:15 PM »

I have come to the conclusion after reading this thread that this is the first book many of the posters have ever read ... critically anyway.

It's probably because we're talking about a bunch of Guns N' Roses fans reading a book where a lot is about Guns N' Roses written by a guy who used to be in Guns N' Roses.

You tend to have some expectations.....

Reading a book about GN'R by some guy who's written 100 other books about other bands, you kinda figure, it's gonna be the same old stuff we've all read with a bunch of bullshit rumors and analysis thrown in.

Now I'm reading Slash's book and it seems to have (not sure, didn't count them) more mistakes than some books written by people who never were in the band.....

/jarmo

cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #727 on: November 04, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »

We get it- it's not 100% true, but do you expect a book from Axl to be 100% true?

I'm assuming Slash wasn't lying there when he said that...... Or maybe it was a typo.? hihi

All I know is that, you can't tell the GN'R story without Axl. It's just not gonna work. It's be even better if you added Izzy to that mix too since those two were there since the Rose days.

Ah, so apparently Slash is a compulsive, cronic liar... except when he praises Axl, then he's spot on. But after that, it's all BS again.
I wonder if those rose colour glasses (no pun intended) you wear would suit me?

As far as I'm conserned Slash was just as vital to GnR than Axl. To me his guitar is just as linked to GnR than the voice is.
I'm glad that at least one of them is open enough to write an autobiography.
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #728 on: November 04, 2007, 10:30:09 PM »

I'm assuming Slash wasn't lying there when he said that...... Or maybe it was a typo.? hihi

You have to remember that Slash auditioned to join Axl's band.

Ask Marc Canter if you don't believe me.

Slash also says that the gig in Seattle was the first GN'R show.

Now in Slash's best friend's book Reckless Road, as well as many other places, it's said that the first GN'R show with Slash (and Steven) was on June 6th 1985 at the Troubadour.

I know, I know. Big deal when and where they played their first show.? Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Hey Jarmo, I was also wondering about that, i knew the first GNR show with Slash was 6/6/85

So when exactly was that seattle show he was talking about?

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #729 on: November 04, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »

Ah, so apparently Slash is a compulsive, cronic liar...

You forgot thief!

rofl

So when exactly was that seattle show he was talking about?

The 8th?

/jarmo

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #730 on: November 04, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »

I thought the show at the Troubadour was supposed to be with Tracii and Slash only played because he didn't show up. From there they went to Seattle. So maybe for Slash the first time they really played as a band was in Seattle. Big deal.

The 8th?

Yeah, possibly the 8th.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #731 on: November 04, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »

I thought the show at the Troubadour was supposed to be with Tracii and Slash only played because he didn't show up. From there they went to Seattle. So maybe for Slash the first time they really played as a band was in Seattle. Big deal.

Yeah, no big deal.

First show of the AFD line-up.... Who cares right?

I just wonder why it was made to be such a big deal in Reckless Road.....   Roll Eyes

I'm joking, it's a pretty important date in GN'R history.

/jarmo

IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #732 on: November 04, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »

The reason I ask is cause , i was born 6/5/85 and I was wondering if maybe Slash joined the band THAT day like the moment I was born, and thats reason i'm so obsessed with GNR

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #733 on: November 04, 2007, 10:42:18 PM »

Yeah, no big deal.

First show of the AFD line-up.... Who cares right?

I just wonder why it was made to be such a big deal in Reckless Road.....   Roll Eyes

I'm joking, it's a pretty important date in GN'R history.

/jarmo

You're ignoring my point that Slash just replaced Tracii at the Troubadour.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #734 on: November 04, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »

Umm, right.

But it was still the first time that line-up played no matter how you see it?

According to Slash's book, they rehearsed for three nights and then went up to Seattle.

According to most books/articles/interviews/people, The Appetite line-up played their first show on June 6th.

Slash and Steven were in the band because Tracii and Rob had left.

Then they went on the Hell Tour.....

Add to that the fact that according to Marc's book, Slash was in another band at the end of May.

/jarmo

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #735 on: November 04, 2007, 10:58:19 PM »

Umm, right.

OMG, now you want to argue semantics? Sorry, you'll have to contact some of the 16 yr olds on this forum. Over and out.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #736 on: November 04, 2007, 11:01:55 PM »

OMG, now you want to argue semantics? Sorry, you'll have to contact some of the 16 yr olds on this forum. Over and out.

You're the one defending Slash.

I don't know what he "meant", I know what I read in the book.

You're the one trying to explain what was going through in his mind.....

Did you even read the book?

Edit: In Reckless Road, Steven says Slash called him before the Troubadour show asking him if he wanted to play those shows.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 11:09:28 PM by jarmo » Logged

IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #737 on: November 04, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »

Umm, right.

According to Slash's book, they rehearsed for three nights and then went up to Seattle.

According to most books/articles/interviews/people, The Appetite line-up played their first show on June 6th.

Slash and Steven were in the band because Tracii and Rob had left.

Then they went on the Hell Tour.....

Add to that the fact that according to Marc's book, Slash was in another band at the end of May.

/jarmo

So could it be possible the first day they rehearsed was 6/5/85 - the day i was born

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #738 on: November 04, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »

So could it be possible the first day they rehearsed was 6/5/85 - the day i was born

In Reckless Road, he says they had one day of rehearsal....

Then in his own book it's three days.

Your guess is as good as mine.  hihi

/jarmo

IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #739 on: November 04, 2007, 11:11:09 PM »

In Reckless Road, he says they had one day of rehearsal....

Then in his own book it's three days.

Your guess is as good as mine.? hihi

/jarmo

Jarmo you got connections, i gotta find out, maybe the first time those 5 hit their first note together was the exact moment i was born, ask Axl for me maybe he'll remember more clearley hihi

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12