Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228557 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227549 times)
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #700 on: November 04, 2007, 06:10:26 PM »

I found a bunch of errors but I'd like to see all those who love the book, and who say this is the best book about GN'R, to point out the errors they found first.

/jarmo

You really must have way too much time on your hands.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #701 on: November 04, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »

I found a bunch of errors but I'd like to see all those who love the book, and who say this is the best book about GN'R, to point out the errors they found first.

/jarmo

Yeah, I read Slash's book......

And then more than once I thought "hey, that's not right" as I was reading it.

Instead reading it like you: "Wooooooo! Look at those pics!  yes  Cheesy  smoking  beer  drool "

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #702 on: November 04, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »

why does it matter what show he rehearsed with horn section?
I have plenty of memories i thought were right but in reality, i was thinking of a tottaly different day or year.

You play 200 or more shows and tell me EXACTLY what show you did something in!  Roll Eyes

Sorry i don't think slash hangs out in GN'R chat rooms keeping tabs on every single event or word he ever said (like we do). He's going by memory, And that's good enough for me. After all he lived that life,
not us.

I agree!
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #703 on: November 04, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »

/jarmo

Instead reading it like you: "Wooooooo! Look at those pics!? yes? Cheesy? smoking? beer? drool "

/jarmo

Nup, I haven't read it yet. I'll get around to it when I get around to it.

But when I do, it'll be to enjoy it. Unlike you, with a red pen making corrections, and checking every fact online:
"OMGZ, Slash liez! When will you people get it?" ?crying crying

Roll Eyes
isa
« Reply #704 on: November 04, 2007, 06:29:58 PM »

The book mentions that Axl Fired Gilby. I thougth Gilby wasnt getting paid so he 'left'
I could be wrong

the short story by Del James inspired November Rain, but Nightrian as Night Train Angry, not good. Axl didn't fire Gilby, that's not true, as for I know Gilby said that he n Axl talked, both of them were not agree in some stuff.

A lot of mistakes ?Lips Sealed
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #705 on: November 04, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »

I have read hundreds, maybe thousands, of memoirs in my life, and I don't think one of those books didn't contain typos or interpretation of events that others found  fault with. As much as one thinks history is straight foward, it is not; subjectivity is human nature. Different people interpret events in different ways. Chuchill's memoirs are a prime example. That being said, I don't think I will buy the book ... I will wait for a scholarly work.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
CSS
« Reply #706 on: November 04, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »

I agree that Slash's book company could have fixed some of the errors that are in the book. (I've noticed some of them)

But do people here remember when we discussed the topic about Slash not remembering 75% of his time in GN'R during the Use Your Illusion era?

That might not be valid, but it would explain some things and everyone does makes typos and such... Either way, I don't read the book to find mistakes - so I'll continue where I was.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #707 on: November 04, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »

But when I do, it'll be to enjoy it. Unlike you, with a red pen making corrections, and checking every fact online:
"OMGZ, Slash liez! When will you people get it?"  crying crying

Roll Eyes

I don't need to check facts online.

I know the extended line up didn't play at Rock In Rio.

I also know several other things which Slash gets wrong in the book.

It happens when you're a fan..... Unlike if you're just a VR fan who has no idea about GN'R's past or if you're one of those casual readers.

So, for a book describing GN'R's history, it's not 100% accurate. Hardly surprising since he admitted not remembering most of what happened.

So please, keep attacking me in order to stay off topic and get the focus away from the factual errors.  ok

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 06:44:30 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #708 on: November 04, 2007, 06:52:57 PM »

/jarmo

Instead reading it like you: "Wooooooo! Look at those pics!  yes  Cheesy  smoking  beer  drool "

/jarmo

The errors you're pointing out are insignificant. How you can let something as insignificant as the exact date they started playing/rehearsing with a backing band, and a few other errors of a similiar ilk, spoil your enjoyment of the book is beyond me. It's a bit sad actually. Its a good book, enjoy it for what it is; instead of pointing out every little irrelevant mistake.

LIGuns, you are talking like you're the expert but you don't even know the truth yourself. Without You did not inspire Estranged. Nor did it inspire the song November Rain as Slash said. It inspired the November Rain video. Small mistake, interesting from a novelty point of view; but so insignificant as to not be a reason to criticize the book.

If Slash made a factual error that made him look better or made Axl (or anybody else) look worse, then I would be disappointed. Other than that, there is clearly no agenda to the errors. Its nearly 500 pages, a couple of insignificant errors are probably to be expected, especially considering he was off his head on heroin for so much of the time.

Critisizing Nightrain for being Night Train is just the silliest thing I've ever heard. That's just plain geeky. Have you guys even read the book; coz you clearly don't get Slash's personality; I doubt Slash would give a fuck whether its called Night Rain or Nightrain, he probably doesn't even know himself. Nor any of the other guys. Only the most obsessed fans would notice something like that in fairness.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 06:58:08 PM by estrangedpaul » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #709 on: November 04, 2007, 07:01:50 PM »

The errors you're pointing out are insignificant. How you can let something as insignificant as the exact date they started playing/rehearsing with a backing band, and a few other errors of a similiar ilk, spoil your enjoyment of the book is beyond me. It's a bit sad actually. Its a good book, enjoy it for what it is; instead of pointing out every little irrelevant mistake.

This is the problem with you people.

I didn't say it spoiled any enjoyment.

But as you read the book and time after time there's factual errors that I know of, it really makes you start feeling like they should've done at least some fact checking.

It also makes you wonder how accurate it is as a whole.

The guy even manages to get his birth place wrong. So I'm reading and he says "I was born in Stoke-on-Trent" and I think to myself "I thought it was Hampstead".....

You keep reading and things like that pop up all the time.

If something took away from the reading enjoyment, it would be all the "we'll get to that later" phrases.  Wink

Why is it a good book in your opinion?

/jarmo

smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #710 on: November 04, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

I mentioned them in another thread but :
 Slash says Nassau Colliseium is  in NJ.  INCORRECT
H says his friend called him at 8:15 on 9/11/01 to tell him to turn on the TV to see what was going on at the WTC.  First plane didn't hit till 8:46.  Incorrect again!

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #711 on: November 04, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »

How could there be no errors or exaggerations when Slash was wasted most of the time during those times? To write this book he probably relied on what his friends or assistants told him happened. But for the times when they weren't around and he was still high, he could only guess what has actually happened.
This book might be entertaining, it might be fun, but I wouldn't believe everything described there actually happened.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #712 on: November 04, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »

You'd think that since Slash knows the hard feelings cause by saying Duff was "spineless" and Scott was "a fraud" and that he "hates Matt Sorum" that he'd at least get the spelling correct of the name of the only VR band member that he hadn't insulted.? no

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #713 on: November 04, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »

H says his friend called him at 8:15 on 9/11/01 to tell him to turn on the TV to see what was going on at the WTC.  First plane didn't hit till 8:46.  Incorrect again!

ever heard of a time difference?

The guy even manages to get his birth place wrong. So I'm reading and he says "I was born in Stoke-on-Trent" and I think to myself "I thought it was Hampstead".....

Some sources say he was raised in Stoke-On-Trent, others say he was born there. He may have been born in london even though his parents lived in Stoke-On-Trent.

In the end, it doesnt really matter.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #714 on: November 04, 2007, 08:13:19 PM »

He was in New York City.....

Your excuse doesn't make sense. Next one.

Some sources say he was raised in Stoke-On-Trent, others say he was born there. He may have been born in london even though his parents lived in Stoke-On-Trent.

Of course it doesn't matter if you don't want a book that has accurate facts.

If you just want to read about drugs, sex, rock n' roll and more drugs, it's great.

/jarmo

smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #715 on: November 04, 2007, 08:19:55 PM »

Slash says Nassau Colliseium is? in NJ.? INCORRECT
H says his friend called him at 8:15 on 9/11/01 to tell him to turn on the TV to see what was going on at the WTC.? First plane didn't hit till 8:46.? Incorrect again!

He was in NYC for the Michael Jackson Birthday shows.  He and Perla drove to PA to get out of the city, and then "bunnyhopped" planes back to LA once the airports were open again.  Read the book.

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #716 on: November 04, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »

You'd think that since Slash knows the hard feelings cause by saying Duff was "spineless" and Scott was "a fraud" and that he "hates Matt Sorum" that he'd at least get the spelling correct of the name of the only VR band member that he hadn't insulted.? no

something tells me that Slash the man himself did not physically sit there and write this story, especially since there is a co-author of the book, so with these spelling mistakes lets blame it on ?the publishers/editors

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #717 on: November 04, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »

From what I recall in the press release, it was stated that Slash wasn't under the influence of anything.

But then again, Slash is a pretty honest guy.
mallrat
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #718 on: November 04, 2007, 09:00:07 PM »

every book has errors. Bad spelling , grammer and facts. it's just one of those things that happens.
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #719 on: November 04, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »

/jarmo

Instead reading it like you: "Wooooooo! Look at those pics!? yes? Cheesy? smoking? beer? drool "

/jarmo

"OMGZ, Slash liez! When will you people get it?" ?crying crying

Roll Eyes

LMAO.. That is the funniest thing I read all day! rofl rofl
I totally agree with you
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: