Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228559 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227605 times)
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #660 on: November 04, 2007, 12:24:57 AM »

Noone, with their freedom intact, should ever get to the point of suicide, and if they do, they have only their self to blame.

Sorry now one fucking minute there my friend. So what you are saying is that anybody who has ever felt suicidal and felt unbelivably low and sees no way out, and in some cases tragically takes their own lives. IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT FOR GETTING THAT WAY ?

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make. 

Yes.   I whole heartedly stand behind my comment. 

I am sorry if that offends you because you had someone close take their own life, but I seriously believe a great many of the problems in the world today are due to people not taking responsibility for themselves. It is painful and frustrating for me to read that you consider this ignorance, and I urge you to reconsider what you've said and think through the implications of living one's life where one's happiness it dependent on others.

You are some piece of work. I'm all for free speech to a point, but Jesus Christ there is a limit.( I am sorry for taking the lords name in vain)
And I have had nobody in my life take their own life thank god, but I have dealt with depression for many years and have felt suicidal at times(but that was my fault apparently) and you know what I am actually feeling happy in my life at the moment.I didn't wake up one morning and say "You know what I'm going to be depressed and Suicidal today".  Thank god I had people that didn't think like you do and I was able to come out the other side.  It's narrow minded people like you that keep depression and Suicide a Taboo subject and makes people feel like they can't talk to people about it.

I urge you to do likewise, and think very clearly about what you said.

When did I say that ?

I too have dealt with depression.  I know it's not an easy thing to deal with. The solution always came from within.

I am all for counseling and I certainly think it's better to "talk things out" rather than hold them in.  I made a comment that I thought was relatively accepted in basic society, and you responded in a fairly irate manner.  If you want to get into a deep discussion about the ins and outs of treating depression, let's do that in the Jungle section, or even better, leave it up to others.

Regarding "when did you say that", it's essentially what you are saying. To say that someone can become depressed by anything but their own doing (mind you, I'm talking about free people) is to say their happiness is dependent on others.

Also, NOT TO BE AN ASSHOLE, but I'll respond to a couple more posts about this and then call it quits, cause a) this isn't the place for this discussion and b) I think we fundamentally disagree in a way that there will be no resolution from us posting on a message board.   I'd love to keep the discussion going in another more appropriate section, and like I said, I'll respond a couple more times before calling it quits here.

1. Well you could have fooled me.
2. You have to wonder why I reacted that way ? I didnt choose one day to be depressed, and think "Ah sure I might be fun", I was the WORST TIME OF MY LIFE, and I couldn't keep it together for any big stretch of time.
3. You want to discuss this further, then I would love to prove you completely wrong.
4. You will repsond to a few more comments because you know that what you have said is wrong. 
And just in case you think it is just me that feels this way, another poster feels the same as myself so it must not be so widely accepted as you think
5. Don't you dare put words in my mouth and tell me I said this or that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:29:08 AM by Irish gunner II » Logged
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #661 on: November 04, 2007, 12:30:04 AM »

2. You have to wonder why I reacted that way ? I didnt choose one day to be depressed, and think "Ah sure I might be fun", I was the WORST TIME OF MY LIFE, and I couldn't keep it together for any big stretch of time.
3. You want to discuss this further, then I would love to prove you completely wrong.
4. You will repsond to a few more comments because you know that what you have said is wrong.?
And just in case you think it is just me that feels this way, another poster feels the same as myself so it must not be so widely accepted as you think.

1. Apparently so.
2. I did not say that at all.? Of course noone chooses to be depressed.? I did not choose it.? I do think our actions and decisions in life directly affect how we feel and our state of mind, though.
3. Alright, then, if you want to go at it with me, I'm up for it.? I have a sneaking suspicion at this point there is no situation or thing I could say that would ever change your mind, but I'm always open to learning new things.
4. No, actually, I invited us to continue the discussion in a more appropriate location.? Do you understand the difference between "continuing where appropriate" and stopping altogether?? They are two very different things, I promise you.
4.1. I will give you that one.? As you'll notice, I also responded to that poster's comments directed towards me as well.
5.  Well, if you can point out where my logic is flawed, I'd love to hear it.  Again, I suggest that saying that depression is caused by others is saying one's happiness is dependent on others.  I do not see the flaw in my logic.

Post #1 used up!? One left to go.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:35:47 AM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #662 on: November 04, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

4. You will repsond to a few more comments because you know that what you have said is wrong. 
And just in case you think it is just me that feels this way, another poster feels the same as myself so it must not be so widely accepted as you think.

1. Apparently so.
2. I did not say that at all.  Of course noone chooses to depressed.  I did not choose it.  I do think our actions and decisions in life directly affect how we feel and our state of mind, though.
3. Alright, then, if you want to go at it with me, I'm up for it.  I have a sneaking suspicion at this point there is no situation or thing I could say that would ever change your mind, but I'm always open to learning new things.
4. No, actually, I invited us to continue the discussion in a more appropriate location.  Do you understand the difference between "continuing where appropriate" and stopping altogether?  They are two very different things, I promise you.
5. I will give you that one.  As you'll notice, I also responded to that poster's comments directed towards me as well.

Post #1 used up!  One left to go.
You talked as if you had no clue about the awful thing depression is.
Didn't You ? Oh wait but you were basically saying that so that's the same thing according to you.
Put a thread up using the very line in the post that got me irrate and see who many posters will agree with you. I suspect that It won't be that many, as the vast majority of posters on this board are rational people.
You know I'm hoping this is a bad dream and I will wake up and this never happened.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #663 on: November 04, 2007, 12:39:25 AM »

1. Apparently so.
2. I did not say that at all.  Of course noone chooses to depressed.  I did not choose it.  I do think our actions and decisions in life directly affect how we feel and our state of mind, though.
3. Alright, then, if you want to go at it with me, I'm up for it.  I have a sneaking suspicion at this point there is no situation or thing I could say that would ever change your mind, but I'm always open to learning new things.
4. No, actually, I invited us to continue the discussion in a more appropriate location.  Do you understand the difference between "continuing where appropriate" and stopping altogether?  They are two very different things, I promise you.
5. I will give you that one.  As you'll notice, I also responded to that poster's comments directed towards me as well.

Oh good a smart ass on top of everything else.
Didn't You ? Oh wait but you were basically saying that so that's the same thing according to you.
Put a thread up using the very line in the post that got me irrate and see who many posters will agree with you. I suspect that It won't be that many, as the vast majority of posters on this board are rational people.
You know I'm hoping this is a bad dream and I will wake up and this never happened.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #664 on: November 04, 2007, 12:40:36 AM »

4. You will repsond to a few more comments because you know that what you have said is wrong.?

1. Apparently so.
2. I did not say that at all.? Of course noone chooses to depressed.? I did not choose it.? I do think our actions and decisions in life directly affect how we feel and our state of mind, though.
3. Alright, then, if you want to go at it with me, I'm up for it.? I have a sneaking suspicion at this point there is no situation or thing I could say that would ever change your mind, but I'm always open to learning new things.
4. No, actually, I invited us to continue the discussion in a more appropriate location.? Do you understand the difference between "continuing where appropriate" and stopping altogether?? They are two very different things, I promise you.
5. I will give you that one.? As you'll notice, I also responded to that poster's comments directed towards me as well.

Post #1 used up!? One left to go.

First of all, I edited my post since you responded, because my numbering scheme was off. ?I don't think that changes the gist of what you are saying here.

I am exceedingly apologetic that my posting the comment that one's happiness is dependent on one's self caused you such distress. ?I really, really did not intend for this to happen. ?I do think you are kidding yourself when you refer to your viewpoint as rational, but that's okay, I don't think we will be able to agree on this one.

I think you are clearly a passionate person, I sincerely hope you can be (and hopefully are) putting your passions towards excellent things.

If you want to chat more with me about this, shoot me a PM. ?If you want to keep it public, shoot me a PM with the thread in the Jungle section you want to chat about it in.

edit: And I apologize for coming off as a smart-ass.? I may sound like a smart ass, but I mean it in the best of ways.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:46:14 AM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #665 on: November 04, 2007, 12:50:02 AM »

1. Apparently so.

First of all, I edited my post since you responded, because my numbering scheme was off.  I don't think that changes the gist of what you are saying here.

I am exceedingly apologetic that my posting the comment that one's happiness is dependent on one's self caused you such distress. I really, really did not intend for this to happen.  I do think you are kidding yourself when you refer to your viewpoint as rational, but that's okay, I don't think we will be able to agree on this one.

I think you are clearly a passionate person, I sincerely hope you can (and hopefully are) putting your passions towards excellent things.

If you want to chat more with me about this, shoot me a PM.  If you want to keep it public, shoot me a PM with the thread in the Jungle section you want to chat about it in.

I don't accept your appology at all. And I'm kidding myself ? Oh this gets better by the moment. No one else has agreed with you in what you said, yet one other poster has agreed with my point of view. So therefore what I have said must not be that irrational. What you have basically said tonight is that people with depression and who are suicidal are to blame for the way they are. Can you not see how that can't be wrong. Have you ever heard of people with a chemical imbalance ? I suppose that was their fault aswell yes ?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #666 on: November 04, 2007, 12:55:13 AM »

Noone, with their freedom intact, should ever get to the point of suicide, and if they do, they have only their self to blame.

Sorry now one fucking minute there my friend. So what you are saying is that anybody who has ever felt suicidal and felt unbelivably low and sees no way out, and in some cases tragically takes their own lives. IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT FOR GETTING THAT WAY ?

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make.

I completely agree Irish Gunner. thats one of the dumbest and most ignorant statements Ive ever read, period!
I have, maybe unlike loretian, known people that is suicidal....when you get to the bottom of things, it's rarely their own choice...fucking think a few times before you write something like this.

My viewpoing is very well thought out. ? You can post comments like this all you want, but again, I say, it's dangerous to make one's happiness dependent on the actions of others. ?I think this viewpoint is incredible damaging and bad way for anyone to live. ?It invites unhappiness.

And - I am sorry about your friends. ?I can understand why my statement might have seemed uncaring, and I apologize if it came off that way. ?To suggest that suicide is anything but a choice, though, frankly, is the type of attitude that will not help anything.

I know what you're getting at but the attitude you're showing here just make the people who is suffering from this disease feel even worse.
what about the people who don't give a flying shit about winners and losers, people should be allowed to be themselves!
I am very much aware of what creates happiness and unhappiness, but I do have friends that can't see this as clearly as me, and I try my best to try to make them see things in a lighter way. but when people come around spraying out the kind of opinions you're showing here, it doesn't do a many people any good at all.

you simply don't realize that these people actually have a disease that needs to be cured. it's one of the most tricky things to cure too, believe me.
every time any of the people who suffers from something like this sees something like what you have posted, it sets them back.
so please, give your words another thought before you plaster them out here.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #667 on: November 04, 2007, 12:58:02 AM »

and thanks Irish Gunner 2, for well thought out posts.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #668 on: November 04, 2007, 01:11:01 AM »

I completely agree Irish Gunner. thats one of the dumbest and most ignorant statements Ive ever read, period!
I have, maybe unlike loretian, known people that is suicidal....when you get to the bottom of things, it's rarely their own choice...fucking think a few times before you write something like this.

My viewpoing is very well thought out.   You can post comments like this all you want, but again, I say, it's dangerous to make one's happiness dependent on the actions of others.  I think this viewpoint is incredible damaging and bad way for anyone to live.  It invites unhappiness.

And - I am sorry about your friends.  I can understand why my statement might have seemed uncaring, and I apologize if it came off that way.  To suggest that suicide is anything but a choice, though, frankly, is the type of attitude that will not help anything.

I know what you're getting at but the attitude you're showing here just make the people who is suffering from this disease feel even worse.
what about the people who don't give a flying shit about winners and losers, people should be allowed to be themselves!
I am very much aware of what creates happiness and unhappiness, but I do have friends that can't see this as clearly as me, and I try my best to try to make them see things in a lighter way. but when people come around spraying out the kind of opinions you're showing here, it doesn't do a many people any good at all.

you simply don't realize that these people actually have a disease that needs to be cured. it's one of the most tricky things to cure too, believe me.
every time any of the people who suffers from something like this sees something like what you have posted, it sets them back.
so please, give your words another thought before you plaster them out here.

Look, the reason that it got to me so much is that I have suffered from depression and I don;t ever want to go the basement again in my lifetime.
And Hillel Slovak you need to keep trying to make them see the lighter side of life, and It was due to my superb friends that I didn't sink further into the abyss.

I don't understand what he was trying to get at.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #669 on: November 04, 2007, 01:15:23 AM »

and thanks Irish Gunner 2, for well thought out posts.

it's not about winning or losing, it's just trying to get people to think clearly.

And sorry to the other posters, whos thread I have messed up trying to reason with that poster.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #670 on: November 04, 2007, 01:40:51 AM »

Wow, I can't believe how differently Irish gunner II and Hillel Slovak interpreted the point of what loretian was saying.  At least compared to me.

Slash blaming Axl for his suicidal state, if he did in fact do that even indirectly, is weak.  It's playing the victim.  The point is that we are all in the end responsible for our own mental and emotional health.  No one else is.

Ali
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #671 on: November 04, 2007, 04:40:41 AM »

For example, when it comes to the press release Axl put out about the statements Slash said about his bandmates, you'll note he never actually denies making those statements.  The way it's worded, you'll get the impression that he didn't, but if you read it carefully, he never actually says that he didn't.  It's also telling that everyone in Velvet Revolver immediately believed that he made those statements.  People who had (mostly) known him for many years automatically assumed it was true.  Why would that be?
This is something that has always made me wonder when Slash told that story in interviews. Why would they believe someone who they haven't spoken to in god knows how long, over someone that they're in a band with...either way, it says a lot more about the relationship between the people in Velvet Revolver than it says about Axl.

I haven't read the part about Slash being  suicidal yet, however I believe that in the end you're responsible for your own well being. I'm sure that Slash felt really fucked over after he left GNR, but I'm pretty sure that Axl probably felt equally as fucked. but blaming someone else for your own state of mind to the point where that person is suicidal takes things a little to far.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #672 on: November 04, 2007, 05:20:59 AM »

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make.?

Yes.? ?I whole heartedly stand behind my comment.

Suicide is a manifestation of depression. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. All the "belief" in the world can't change facts.

? I believe a basic accountability for one's self is what separates the winners from the losers.?

While that may be true, it has absolutely nothing to do with depression. I haven't read the book, but if Slash tries to "lay blame" for his depression, it is because he has an understanding of the disease that is similar to yours ... flawed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:22:56 AM by fuckin crazy » Logged

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #673 on: November 04, 2007, 09:04:59 AM »

Other than grammer and typos anyone find interesting errors.
So far I've found 2:
Slash wrote that Del James wrote a short story that inspired November Rain. To my knowledge I thought the short story "Without You" inspired Estranged. Perhaps he meant the story inspired the videos.
Alos NIGHTRAIN is spelt several times as Night Train. Once or twice would be a typo every time it makes it looks as though Slash didn't have much interest in the book other than a pay check. One would think he would have the integrity to at least proof read what was being written.
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #674 on: November 04, 2007, 09:11:06 AM »

Slash was right with the first part about 'without you'. In the end of the video for November Rain it says 'based on the short story Without you by Del James'.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #675 on: November 04, 2007, 09:30:35 AM »

And to correct your second error....Nightrain is mispelled on the album, because of possible lawsuits (which did eventually come about, but were dropped because they made a shitload of money after the song was released).  The actual liqour that the song is about is called "Night Train Express".

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #676 on: November 04, 2007, 09:35:34 AM »

Wow, I can't believe how differently Irish gunner II and Hillel Slovak interpreted the point of what loretian was saying.? At least compared to me.

Slash blaming Axl for his suicidal state, if he did in fact do that even indirectly, is weak.? It's playing the victim.? The point is that we are all in the end responsible for our own mental and emotional health.? No one else is.

Ali

No,  I had nothing to do with slash or Axl or anybody. It was only one line stand alone that annoyed me.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #677 on: November 04, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make.?

Yes.? ?I whole heartedly stand behind my comment.

Suicide is a manifestation of depression. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. All the "belief" in the world can't change facts.

? I believe a basic accountability for one's self is what separates the winners from the losers. 

While that may be true, it has absolutely nothing to do with depression. I haven't read the book, but if Slash tries to "lay blame" for his depression, it is because he has an understanding of the disease that is similar to yours ... flawed.

I didn't say that.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #678 on: November 04, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »

Back to the book.....

Which is full of errors.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #679 on: November 04, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »

Other than grammer and typos anyone find interesting errors.
So far I've found 2:
Slash wrote that Del James wrote a short story that inspired November Rain. To my knowledge I thought the short story "Without You" inspired Estranged. Perhaps he meant the story inspired the videos.
Alos NIGHTRAIN is spelt several times as Night Train. Once or twice would be a typo every time it makes it looks as though Slash didn't have much interest in the book other than a pay check. One would think he would have the integrity to at least proof read what was being written.

If those are all the errors you found then I'd say Slash did an Awsome job here, he told his whole life story in great detail of 458 pages, i'm suprised at how well he remembered all those stories & feelings so perfectly

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12