Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228559 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227598 times)
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #640 on: November 03, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »

I got to meet Slash at the thurs night signing here in Jersey. There was a ton of people there, so you didn't get to bullshit with him or anything. I just shook his hand, got my book signed and asked him like one or two things. He seemed in really good spirits.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #641 on: November 03, 2007, 10:48:05 AM »

I take issue this this line? "the show that set the pace for what was to ulimately unhindge the tour took place in "UNIONDALE, NEW JERSEY",at the NASSAU COLLISEUM!!!!!!!

NASSAU COLLISEUM is on LONG ISLAND IN NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In addition to spelling Kushner as Kirschner....

I guess nobody did the fact checking.

/jarmo

Does anyone proofread anymore?  They wrote a book like it was a long post on HTGTH or something.  These are supposed to be professionals.  How do you fuck up Kushner.  I am going to get my copy today.  I am glad to see Young Gunner had nice things to say so far!!
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #642 on: November 03, 2007, 11:52:18 AM »

Read a few chapters today. Its a bloody good read-well worth the money!  beer

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #643 on: November 03, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »

Well, I just finished reading it a few hours ago.? There are spoilers below, so beware.

Originally I wasn't going to post my thoughts, just because of how heated things can get here, and I generally have a bias against trusting anything that Slash says anyway, but I'll throw in my two cents.

First of all, all things considered, as expected, it's a very interesting read.? I never get the feeling that Slash is outright lying about anything, so at best, the stories historical, informative, and of course, entertaining, while at worst, a blurry glimpse into events that did happen, that we'd never know about otherwise.

Additionally, despite my fears, this book is not like The Dirt.? That's a fun book to read, but really it's just about pure debauchery, and while that does sort of stuff does exist in this book, there is definitely a lot more to it.?

At heart, you really get the sense that Slash is just a regular old drunk.? He's a great guitar player, and at times driven, but he's dishonest with everyone and clearly still has serious chemical abuse problems.? Chemical abuse issues aren't always the end-all be-all defining aspect of person, but unfortunately for Slash, at the worst of times, they seem to take dark hold of him.

Ultimately, the most interesting part of the book for me was how the band broke up.? It's quite obvious from the book that Slash was at a different level than where Axl wanted to be.? As has been repeated time and time again, he just "wanted to play," and clearly had no ambition to do anything but just put out a simple record.? After touring with, I believe, his 2nd version of Snakepit, and getting the operation and being forced to go sober, he suddenly found his band drunk, unprofessional, and unbearable.? He doesn't spend any time with them except on stage.? There is obvious irony.? Slash is obviously in a bad state of mind as they're working on recording in '94-'95 and you can just about feel his pain.

Him parting ways with Axl is very, very odd.? From what he describes in his book, the only real, legitimate issue I can see is Axl's late starts/no-shows.? Without giving Axl any leeway for any number of legitimate reasons those events could have unfolded the way Slash described them, there is very little else to find real fault in him.? Reading the legal issues stuff, it's clear Slash is leaving huge amounts of data out, and he never gets specific enough to actually be lying.? The key legal document is of course, never fully described or explained, only described in a very broad manner that could account for any number of actual legal situations.? The stories of Axl's so-called temper-trantrums are very, very limited, whether it was due to Slash leaving them out or them not happening that often, but nevertheless, there were not very many.? The resounding image is simply that Axl was not around very much, after they finished touring in '89 (or whenever it was, exactly.)

Slash actually notes how Axl tried to reach out to him several times and in an attempt to help him, but Slash himself says he had no interest and didn't understand it (or something to that effect.)? The level these two men were at is so clearly different, it's hard to be angry at Slash, you just feel sympathy and want the guy to get help for himself that he so desperately needs.

Based on the people I've met in my lfie, the people that preface (or follow-up) everything they say with, "That's just my version of the events, somebody else could say something different and it'd be just as true" are the absolute biggest bull-shitters on the planet.? It's like a prepared defense for when they get accused of lying.? I hate to say this about Slash, but in many regards, he just comes across as pathetic.? I honestly don't get the impression he really is the intentional misleader that I used to think he was, but too often the stories are worded in ways where he just doesn't account for the key questions.? Why is it so hard to recount a history that he was so much a part of without qualifying every other paragraph?

For example, when it comes to the press release Axl put out about the statements Slash said about his bandmates, you'll note he never actually denies making those statements.? The way it's worded, you'll get the impression that he didn't, but if you read it carefully, he never actually says that he didn't.? It's also telling that everyone in Velvet Revolver immediately believed that he made those statements.? People who had (mostly) known him for many years automatically assumed it was true.? Why would that be?

Also, the general tone of the book changes as we get to more recent history.? The stories are actually less detailed, not more detailed.

Finally, one thing really, really disgusted me.? He gets to the point of suicide, and essentially blames it entirely on Axl.? He doesn't outright say that, but that's pretty much what is implied.? Axl ruined his band, and now he hates his life.? Noone, with their freedom intact, should ever get to the point of suicide, and if they do, they have only their self to blame.? That this was Slash's state of mind when the key decision was made should make things very clear of where at least ONE member of Gn'R was at when Slash left the band.

I'll leave it at that.? The book was really an illuminating read for me, and it's definitely a must have for any Gn'R fan.? You'll probably learn more about Gn'R than you could from reading any other book.? It's an autobiography, so the subject of Slash and his character are center stage, and that's what struck me the most from reading it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:16:04 PM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #644 on: November 03, 2007, 06:39:07 PM »

Well, I just finished reading it a few hours ago.? There are spoilers below, so beware.

Originally I wasn't going to post my thoughts, just because of how heated things can get here, and I generally have a bias against trusting anything that Slash says anyway, but I'll throw in my two cents.

First of all, all things considered, as expected, it's a very interesting read.? I never get the feeling that Slash is outright lying about anything, so at best, the stories historical, informative, and of course, entertaining, while at worst, a blurry glimpse into events that did happen, that we'd never know about otherwise.

Additionally, despite my fears, this book is not like The Dirt.? That's a fun book to read, but really it's just about pure debauchery, and while that does sort of stuff does exist in this book, there is definitely a lot more to it.?

At heart, you really get the sense that Slash is just a regular old drunk.? He's a great guitar player, and at times driven, but he's dishonest with everyone and clearly still has serious chemical abuse problems.? Chemical abuse issues aren't always the end-all be-all defining aspect of person, but unfortunately for Slash, at the worst of times, they seem to take dark hold of him.

Ultimately, the most interesting part of the book for me was how the band broke up.? It's quite obvious from the book that Slash was at a different level than where Axl wanted to be.? As has been repeated time and time again, he just "wanted to play," and clearly had no ambition to do anything but just put out a simple record.? After touring with, I believe, his 2nd version of Snakepit, and getting the operation and being forced to go sober, he suddenly found his band drunk, unprofessional, and unbearable.? He doesn't spend any time with them except on stage.? There is obvious irony.? Slash is obviously in a bad state of mind as they're working on recording in '94-'95 and you can just about feel his pain.

Him parting ways with Axl is very, very odd.? From what he describes in his book, the only real, legitimate issue I can see is Axl's late starts/no-shows.? Without giving Axl any leeway for any number of legitimate reasons those events could have unfolded the way Slash described them, there is very little else to find real fault in him.? Reading the legal issues stuff, it's clear Slash is leaving huge amounts of data out, and he never gets specific enough to actually be lying.? The key legal document is of course, never fully described or explained, only described in a very broad manner that could account for any number of actual legal situations.? The stories of Axl's so-called temper-trantrums are very, very limited, whether it was due to Slash leaving them out or them not happening that often, but nevertheless, there were not very many.? The resounding image is simply that Axl was not around very much, after they finished touring in '89 (or whenever it was, exactly.)

Slash actually notes how Axl tried to reach out to him several times and in an attempt to help him, but Slash himself says he had no interest and didn't understand it (or something to that effect.)? The level these two men were at is so clearly different, it's hard to be angry at Slash, you just feel sympathy and want the guy to get help for himself that he so desperately needs.

Based on the people I've met in my lfie, the people that preface (or follow-up) everything they say with, "That's just my version of the events, somebody else could say something different and it'd be just as true" are the absolute biggest bull-shitters on the planet.? It's like a prepared defense for when they get accused of lying.? I hate to say this about Slash, but in many regards, he just comes across as pathetic.? I honestly don't get the impression he really is the intentional misleader that I used to think he was, but too often the stories are worded in ways where he just doesn't account for the key questions.? Why is it so hard to recount a history that he was so much a part of without qualifying every other paragraph?

For example, when it comes to the press release Axl put out about the statements Slash said about his bandmates, you'll note he never actually denies making those statements.? The way it's worded, you'll get the impression that he didn't, but if you read it carefully, he never actually says that he didn't.? It's also telling that everyone in Velvet Revolver immediately believed that he made those statements.? People who had (mostly) known him for many years automatically assumed it was true.? Why would that be?

Also, the general tone of the book changes as we get to more recent history.? The stories are actually less detailed, not more detailed.

Finally, one thing really, really disgusted me.? He gets to the point of suicide, and essentially blames it entirely on Axl.? He doesn't outright say that, but that's pretty much what is implied.? Axl ruined his band, and now he hates his life.? Noone, with their freedom intact, should ever get to the point of suicide, and if they do, they have only their self to blame.? That this was Slash's state of mind when the key decision was made should make things very clear of where at least ONE member of Gn'R was at when Slash left the band.

I'll leave it at that.? The book was really an illuminating read for me, and it's definitely a must have for any Gn'R fan.? You'll probably learn more about Gn'R than you could from reading any other book.? It's an autobiography, so the subject of Slash and his character are center stage, and that's what struck me the most from reading it.

Very well written review, Joe.  Very, very insightful.  Thank you.

I see it very likely that you and I will be of similar mind once I get my copy and start reading it.  I can see myself having some of the same reactions you did.

But, I look forward to reading the book myself.

Ali
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #645 on: November 03, 2007, 07:53:21 PM »

Read a few chapters today. Its a bloody good read-well worth the money!? beer

Good to know.  Mine's on the way...
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #646 on: November 03, 2007, 08:21:36 PM »

Finished reading this last night; read it in 2 sittings Shocked
After finishing doubt that reunion will ever take place Cry

so sad Sad

hihi

I know....if Axl is anything like his hardest core fans, I hope Slash will never have to meet the guy again.
but, having a little faith in people, I think Axl is a little brighter and just generally a better person than most people actually.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
CSS
« Reply #647 on: November 03, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »

I'm sorry, but could you guys just cut it out?

This is supposed to be about Slash's new biography... Bio-gra-phy.

I don't care if you (or any other poster) dislikes peoples comments, or vice versa, because that's not what this thread is and should be about. Right?

If you want to talk about reunions, lies, marriage or whatever that suits peoples own personal taste: Go somewhere else.

Or better yet: Read the book and believe what you want to believe about the story!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #648 on: November 03, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »

If you want to talk about reunions, lies, marriage or whatever that suits peoples own personal taste: Go somewhere else.

and go where? I grew up here! Grin

btw, Jarmo I think you have a very good candidate here for a new moderator position. Wink

CSS
« Reply #649 on: November 03, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »

btw, Jarmo I think you have a very good candidate here for a new moderator position.

What's wrong with you?

You want to have it like this? That's fine with me, but I would also like to read opinions on Slash's new book from people who actually have read it without being interupted with you two badmouthing each other for God knows what.

Anyway, I'm at page 160-ish and it's starting to get really good at that point.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #650 on: November 03, 2007, 08:46:03 PM »

btw, Jarmo I think you have a very good candidate here for a new moderator position.

What's wrong with you?

You want to have it like this? That's fine with me, but I would also like to read opinions on Slash's new book from people who actually have read it without being interupted with you two badmouthing each other for God knows what.

Anyway, I'm at page 160-ish and it's starting to get really good at that point.

who two?
anyhoo, what's happening at page 160-ish?

CSS
« Reply #651 on: November 03, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »

what's happening at page 160-ish?

Recordings begin for 'Appetite For Destruction'.

There's some really cool stories along the line too.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #652 on: November 03, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »

what's happening at page 160-ish?

Recordings begin for 'Appetite For Destruction'.

There's some really cool stories along the line too.

sounds good, Im gonna buy the damn thing as soon as I can.

Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #653 on: November 03, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »

Noone, with their freedom intact, should ever get to the point of suicide, and if they do, they have only their self to blame.

Sorry now one fucking minute there my friend. So what you are saying is that anybody who has ever felt suicidal and felt unbelivably low and sees no way out, and in some cases tragically takes their own lives. IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT FOR GETTING THAT WAY ?

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make. 
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #654 on: November 03, 2007, 11:48:59 PM »

Noone, with their freedom intact, should ever get to the point of suicide, and if they do, they have only their self to blame.

Sorry now one fucking minute there my friend. So what you are saying is that anybody who has ever felt suicidal and felt unbelivably low and sees no way out, and in some cases tragically takes their own lives. IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT FOR GETTING THAT WAY ?

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make.

I completely agree Irish Gunner. thats one of the dumbest and most ignorant statements Ive ever read, period!
I have, maybe unlike loretian, known people that is suicidal....when you get to the bottom of things, it's rarely their own choice...fucking think a few times before you write something like this.

loretian
VIP

« Reply #655 on: November 03, 2007, 11:52:12 PM »

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make.?

Yes. ? I whole heartedly stand behind my comment. ? I believe a basic accountability for one's self is what separates the winners from the losers. ?

This does not mean there is no room for compassion and helping others. ?Those are cornerstones of humanity and very important and having a basic compassion for your fellow man is another quality that separates the winners from the losers. ?But ultimately, everyone is responsible for themselves.

I am sorry if that offends you because you had someone close take their own life, but I seriously believe a great many of the problems in the world today are due to people not taking responsibility for themselves. ?It is painful and frustrating for me to read that you consider this ignorance, and I urge you to reconsider what you've said and think through the implications of living one's life where one's happiness it dependent on others.

loretian
VIP

« Reply #656 on: November 03, 2007, 11:53:22 PM »

I completely agree Irish Gunner. thats one of the dumbest and most ignorant statements Ive ever read, period!
I have, maybe unlike loretian, known people that is suicidal....when you get to the bottom of things, it's rarely their own choice...fucking think a few times before you write something like this.

My viewpoing is very well thought out.? ?You can post comments like this all you want, but again, I say, it's dangerous to make one's happiness dependent on the actions of others.? I think this viewpoint is incredible damaging and bad way for anyone to live.? It invites unhappiness.

And - I am sorry about your friends.? I can understand why my statement might have seemed uncaring, and I apologize if it came off that way.? To suggest that suicide is anything but a choice, though, frankly, is the type of attitude that will not help anything.

Also, I don't mean to take away from anything you guys have just written.  If you only objected to my one statement, fine, fair enough.  However, if these responses were at all due to not liking my review (I would hope that you just don't give a damn about my opinion), then I would love to hear exactly where my review and conclusions were incorrect.  And more than that, I'd love to hear it from you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:02:15 AM by loretian » Logged

Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #657 on: November 04, 2007, 12:05:28 AM »

Yes.   I whole heartedly stand behind my comment. 

I am sorry if that offends you because you had someone close take their own life, but I seriously believe a great many of the problems in the world today are due to people not taking responsibility for themselves. It is painful and frustrating for me to read that you consider this ignorance, and I urge you to reconsider what you've said and think through the implications of living one's life where one's happiness it dependent on others.

You are some piece of work. I'm all for free speech to a point, but Jesus Christ there is a limit.( I am sorry for taking the lords name in vain)
And I have had nobody in my life take their own life thank god, but I have dealt with depression for many years and have felt suicidal at times(but that was my fault apparently) and you know what I am actually feeling happy in my life at the moment.I didn't wake up one morning and say "You know what I'm going to be depressed and Suicidal today".  Thank god I had people that didn't think like you do and I was able to come out the other side.  It's narrow minded people like you that keep depression and Suicide a Taboo subject and makes people feel like they can't talk to people about it.

I urge you to do likewise, and think very clearly about what you said.

When did I say that ?
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #658 on: November 04, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »

Well I knew I wouldn't be the only one on this board.
loretian
VIP

« Reply #659 on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:49 AM »

Sorry I can't believe what i have actually just read from you. That's such an ignorant comment to make.?

Yes.? ?I whole heartedly stand behind my comment.?

I am sorry if that offends you because you had someone close take their own life, but I seriously believe a great many of the problems in the world today are due to people not taking responsibility for themselves. It is painful and frustrating for me to read that you consider this ignorance, and I urge you to reconsider what you've said and think through the implications of living one's life where one's happiness it dependent on others.

You are some piece of work. I'm all for free speech to a point, but Jesus Christ there is a limit.( I am sorry for taking the lords name in vain)
And I have had nobody in my life take their own life thank god, but I have dealt with depression for many years and have felt suicidal at times(but that was my fault apparently) and you know what I am actually feeling happy in my life at the moment.I didn't wake up one morning and say "You know what I'm going to be depressed and Suicidal today".? Thank god I had people that didn't think like you do and I was able to come out the other side.? It's narrow minded people like you that keep depression and Suicide a Taboo subject and makes people feel like they can't talk to people about it.

I urge you to do likewise, and think very clearly about what you said.

When did I say that ?

I too have dealt with depression. ?I know it's not an easy thing to deal with. ?The solution always came from within.

I am all for counseling and I certainly think it's better to "talk things out" rather than hold them in. ?I made a comment that I thought was relatively accepted in basic society, and you responded in a fairly irate manner. ?If you want to get into a deep discussion about the ins and outs of treating depression, let's do that in the Jungle section, or even better, leave it up to others.

Regarding "when did you say that", it's essentially what you are saying. ?To say that someone can become depressed by anything but their own doing (mind you, I'm talking about free people) is to say their happiness is dependent on others.

Also, NOT TO BE AN ASSHOLE, but I'll respond to a couple more posts about this and then call it quits, cause a) this isn't the place for this discussion and b) I think we fundamentally disagree in a way that there will be no resolution from us posting on a message board.   I'd love to keep the discussion going in another more appropriate section, and like I said, I'll respond a couple more times before calling it quits here.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: