Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 01:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228561 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 227913 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »

A little more from the book...

http://www.harpercollins.com/book/browseinside.aspx?pguid=32619618051991&user=12345&isbn=9780061351426&browsePosition=1

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #401 on: October 25, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »

I went into a Books A Million (chain in the States) and bought this book last night. I would think most people should be able to find it now.

About the book....damn this is interesting.  Everyone should read this whether you support Slash or new Guns or whatever.  It's worth the read.  It's definitely from Slash's point of view and he reiterates that many times.  He states "I'm sure others have their story and it's just as valid as mine" over and over.  Also, some very interesting stories about how the songs came together.  Everyone check it out. ok

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #402 on: October 25, 2007, 10:19:19 AM »

I went into a Books A Million (chain in the States) and bought this book last night. I would think most people should be able to find it now.

About the book....damn this is interesting.? Everyone should read this whether you support Slash or new Guns or whatever.? It's worth the read.? It's definitely from Slash's point of view and he reiterates that many times.? He states "I'm sure others have their story and it's just as valid as mine" over and over.? Also, some very interesting stories about how the songs came together.? Everyone check it out. ok
Nice little quick review.  I agree, it looks like an entertaining read.  Don't take it as gospel, just take it for what it is, Slash's accounts.  I'll probably get the book somewhere down the line, maybe for X-Mas.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #403 on: October 25, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »

Thanks for the link...going through that made me wonder..it says 'and to Guns N' Roses fans everywhere, old and new; without their undying loyalty and limitless patience, none of this would matter' does the book only focus on his years in GNR or also his years in Velvet Revolver?

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
CSS
« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »

I just put down an order for the book, it seems like it's out.

I can't wait to get it in my mailbox!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #405 on: October 25, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »

Thanks for the link...going through that made me wonder..it says 'and to Guns N' Roses fans everywhere, old and new; without their undying loyalty and limitless patience, none of this would matter' does the book only focus on his years in GNR or also his years in Velvet Revolver?

There's not a ton of space devoted to Velvet Revolver (at least not compared to the Guns material).? But he spent a lot more time in Guns obviously.? Mostly about how VR formed.? He does talk in depth about the press release Axl gave talking about Slash showing up at his house and the tension it caused with his VR bandmates.? Very interesting.

Also should add.....for all you who like rare pics there's a bunch of them in this book.  In particular, a humorous photo of Slash running on stage naked with a sex doll while Soundgarden is playing on the UYI tour.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:26:40 AM by LunsJail » Logged

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #406 on: October 25, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »

SLASH DENIES WRITING BOOK FOR MONEY

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist SLASH has hit out at allegations he wrote his new autobiography purely for financial gain. The 42-year-old rocker insists the book has enabled him to tell the truth about his departure from the group, and his turbulent relationship with frontman Axl Rose. He says, "I started to realize all this Guns hype that goes on, all this bulls**t that surrounds the band, it's inaccurate, and most of it isn't even inaccurate, it's just made up. I got fed up with it. (The book will) answer a lot of these questions." Slash - real name Saul Hudson - quit Guns N' Roses in 1996 after falling out with Rose and now plays with rock supergroup Velvet Revolver.

24/10/2007 16:20

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/slash%20denies%20writing%20book%20for%20money_1047730

Damn you're fast.  I just saw that.

I don't doubt that he didn't write it for money.  But, is his answer to those "questions" the only answer, the definitive answer?

Don't think so.

Ali

that's his side of the story.....you have problem with that?

Perhaps you should read my post a little more carefully.  I never said that I have a problem with him having a side to the story.  I have a problem with his side to the story being taken as the definitive story on what happened with GN'R.

Ali

Well, I take it 100% as the definitive version of what happend in his head AND what happened on a physical level ... ie :  Slash walked into a bar and sat with so and so and then Axl came in... etc.... That kind of thing is certainly truth.

For instance, in the book, Slash talks about the first big gig they did... with Ted Nugent.  He describes trying to score heroin etc .... I take everything he's said in that story as fact.  Purely because he will not lie about what he did.

One thing some people are assuming is that it's going to be full of nasty things about Axl.  But so far in the book, almost half way through it, he's praised Axl a LOT ....

Let's all remember that this book isn't supposed to be a battle ... it's just Slash telling it how it was.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #407 on: October 25, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist SLASH has hit out at allegations he wrote his new autobiography purely for financial gain. The 42-year-old rocker insists the book has enabled him to tell the truth about his departure from the group, and his turbulent relationship with frontman Axl Rose. He says, "I started to realize all this Guns hype that goes on, all this bulls**t that surrounds the band, it's inaccurate, and most of it isn't even inaccurate, it's just made up. I got fed up with it. (The book will) answer a lot of these questions." Slash - real name Saul Hudson - quit Guns N' Roses in 1996 after falling out with Rose and now plays with rock supergroup Velvet Revolver.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/slash%20denies%20writing%20book%20for%20money_1047730

Damn you're fast.? I just saw that.

I don't doubt that he didn't write it for money.? But, is his answer to those "questions" the only answer, the definitive answer?

Don't think so.

Ali

Perhaps you should read my post a little more carefully.? I never said that I have a problem with him having a side to the story.? I have a problem with his side to the story being taken as the definitive story on what happened with GN'R.

Ali

Well, I take it 100% as the definitive version of what happend in his head AND what happened on a physical level ... ie :? Slash walked into a bar and sat with so and so and then Axl came in... etc.... That kind of thing is certainly truth.

For instance, in the book, Slash talks about the first big gig they did... with Ted Nugent.? He describes trying to score heroin etc .... I take everything he's said in that story as fact.? Purely because he will not lie about what he did.

One thing some people are assuming is that it's going to be full of nasty things about Axl.? But so far in the book, almost half way through it, he's praised Axl a LOT ....

Let's all remember that this book isn't supposed to be a battle ... it's just Slash telling it how it was.

As long as it's kept into account that this is just one side of the story, it's cool.  I just get a sense from the way it is being hyped that it is going to be taken by many as THE story of what happened with the old GN'R, as opposed to just one side of the story.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #408 on: October 25, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »

I don't doubt that he didn't write it for money.? But, is his answer to those "questions" the only answer, the definitive answer?

Don't think so.

Ali

Perhaps you should read my post a little more carefully.? I never said that I have a problem with him having a side to the story.? I have a problem with his side to the story being taken as the definitive story on what happened with GN'R.

Ali

Well, I take it 100% as the definitive version of what happend in his head AND what happened on a physical level ... ie :? Slash walked into a bar and sat with so and so and then Axl came in... etc.... That kind of thing is certainly truth.

For instance, in the book, Slash talks about the first big gig they did... with Ted Nugent.? He describes trying to score heroin etc .... I take everything he's said in that story as fact.? Purely because he will not lie about what he did.

One thing some people are assuming is that it's going to be full of nasty things about Axl.? But so far in the book, almost half way through it, he's praised Axl a LOT ....

As long as it's kept into account that this is just one side of the story, it's cool.? I just get a sense from the way it is being hyped that it is going to be taken by many as THE story of what happened with the old GN'R, as opposed to just one side of the story.

Ali

If you read the book, you'll see that's not how Slash is trying to present it.  He says over and over that other stories will differ from his account and that nobody is right or wrong.

meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #409 on: October 25, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »

Jarmo knows this, I saw the post on Metalsludge! ok

If you think I post on Metal Sludge, you need to think again.

/jarmo

Ok, well someone is taking the piss out of you because there is a picture of you and the subject on Slash's book in the Metalsludge forum.  I wasn't to know someone done that.

Keep em under your wheels.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #410 on: October 25, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »

You have to remember that Slash quit the band and Axl kept going.

I don't know if Slash had seen that coming or if he thought Axl would just let GN'R die.

It's also possible for him to give "his version" of the story and in the process make himself look better. But is that the complete story and the whole truth?

I haven't read the book myself, but it doesn't hurt to remind people of the tactics Slash has used in the past.

Ok, well someone is taking the piss out of you because there is a picture of you and the subject on Slash's book in the Metalsludge forum.  I wasn't to know someone done that.

Looks like somebody should be grounded from the Internet for a few weeks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #411 on: October 25, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »

How many times has it been posted already that Slash says this is one version of the story. i'm sure everyone could write a book and each version would be a little different and I would bet that none of them would be 100% correct. There hasn't been one member of GNR past, present, or future that has been completely truthful and correct 100% of the time and I'm sure that also applies to most people on the planet.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #412 on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »

Don't think so.

Ali

Ali

As long as it's kept into account that this is just one side of the story, it's cool.? I just get a sense from the way it is being hyped that it is going to be taken by many as THE story of what happened with the old GN'R, as opposed to just one side of the story.

Ali

If you read the book, you'll see that's not how Slash is trying to present it.? He says over and over that other stories will differ from his account and that nobody is right or wrong.

I understand, but it isn't just about how Slash presents it, unfortunately.  It's also about how it is hyped to the public and sold to the public as.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #413 on: October 25, 2007, 12:16:01 PM »

Don't think so.

Ali

Ali

Ali

If you read the book, you'll see that's not how Slash is trying to present it.? He says over and over that other stories will differ from his account and that nobody is right or wrong.

I understand, but it isn't just about how Slash presents it, unfortunately.? It's also about how it is hyped to the public and sold to the public as.

Ali

Where has it been hyped to the public as THE definitive GNR story?  Show me an example and I'll agree.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #414 on: October 25, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »

Don't think so.

Ali

Ali

Ali

I understand, but it isn't just about how Slash presents it, unfortunately.? It's also about how it is hyped to the public and sold to the public as.

Ali

Where has it been hyped to the public as THE definitive GNR story?? Show me an example and I'll agree.

"A big part of the book is that for the first time, Slash tells the tale that has yet to be told from the inside of Guns ?N? Roses: how the band came together, how they wrote the music that defined an era, how they survived insane, never-ending tours, how they survived themselves, and, ultimately, how it all fell apart."

http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/698/10473/Velvet-Revolver.html

It's being hyped there as the inside story on the rise and fall of GN'R, not as Slash's perspective on what happened.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »

Don't think so.

Ali

Ali

Ali

Ali

Where has it been hyped to the public as THE definitive GNR story?? Show me an example and I'll agree.

"A big part of the book is that for the first time, Slash tells the tale that has yet to be told from the inside of Guns ?N? Roses: how the band came together, how they wrote the music that defined an era, how they survived insane, never-ending tours, how they survived themselves, and, ultimately, how it all fell apart."

It's being hyped there as the inside story on the rise and fall of GN'R, not as Slash's perspective on what happened.

Ali

OK, I see your point.  I'm not sure that's what Slash intended though. Definitely hype to sell the book.  However, it does provide a lot of in-depth detail about what happened behind the scenes.  They could have added "from Slash's perspective" to that quote and it would be completely true.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #416 on: October 25, 2007, 02:14:27 PM »

Don't think so.

Ali

Ali

Ali

Ali

Ali

OK, I see your point.? I'm not sure that's what Slash intended though. Definitely hype to sell the book.? However, it does provide a lot of in-depth detail about what happened behind the scenes.? They could have added "from Slash's perspective" to that quote and it would be completely true.

No, I understand now given what Slash has said in the book that he is only trying to offer his side of things.  I respect the hell out of him for that.  But, the way it's being hyped in the press...I just hope people who read the book will remember that it's only a side of the story and Slash iterating and reiterating that in the book will help frame the book in the proper way.

Ali
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2007, 03:22:52 PM »

But the press is the press, they have and always will try and put a personal spin on things. That's how they get people to read articles. How many times are people's quotes taken out of context. It is the readers responsibility to be "objective" and do a little research and not always believe things at face value.
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #418 on: October 25, 2007, 11:26:39 PM »

If every member wrote a book, we would have five different versions of what happened.  That's to be expected, everyone has their own view of the world around them.  I, for one am looking forward to reading this.  I'll give Slash the benefit of the doubt, as he usually tires to take the high road.  I also believe that he knows if he slams Axl too hard there will really be no chance of ever getting back together, which I think he deep down really wants to happen.
I'll jealous of all the people who have the book already!

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
recklessroad
Opening Act

recklessroad.com

« Reply #419 on: October 25, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »

You have to remember that Slash quit the band and Axl kept going.

I don't know if Slash had seen that coming or if he thought Axl would just let GN'R die.

It's also possible for him to give "his version" of the story and in the process make himself look better. But is that the complete story and the whole truth?

I haven't read the book myself, but it doesn't hurt to remind people of the tactics Slash has used in the past.

Ok, well someone is taking the piss out of you because there is a picture of you and the subject on Slash's book in the Metalsludge forum.? I wasn't to know someone done that.

Looks like somebody should be grounded from the Internet for a few weeks.

/jarmo

Slash didn't just quit on his own. Axl made Slash and Duff ?sign over the name while on tour so he could be in-charge of things. At that point it was no longer a band effort. When it was time to make a record Slash gave Axl 12 songs for the record and Axl said that he liked 3 of the songs but maybe he would do 4 of them. The biggest problem was that they tried to put a record together with out Izzy's help. That was the second mistake they made. Izzy was a great song starter, then everybody would add to it and it would become a different song. Also Axl wanted to add more to the mix and hired Zackk Wylde ?a second lead guitar player. Axl was looking for something new and Slash wanted to work on songs that sounded like Appetite. No way was Axl going to go back in time. Also when you have a band with Slash in it you don't need a second lead guitar player. Axl was ready to experiment with some new things and Slash was not into that. Then Axl hired Paul and Slash was not into that either. Also ?Slash's ego was a little too big and he thought he could do it on his own with Snakepit since he no longer had a say so in GNR but when you only have input coming from 1 guy it's not the same as having Axl Slash Duff and Izzy adding to the song-writing. So Slash soon found out that you need a mix of different songwriters to make it work. He wanted to come back to GNR but that didn't work out. So Slash Duff and Matt started up Velvet Revolver and got lucky to find Scott. Axl was able to keep guns going and has over 50 songs from working with all the news guys. I see it as sort of a marriage that was time to end because of musical differences. So you can't just say Slash just quit the band because the band was dissolved when Axl took over the name. Maybe some day they will work together but not until Axl does his thing with the new guys for a few records and they can come to some kind of mutual agreement. Also I think if that did happened, I still think Axl would still work with both the old guys and the new.

recklessroad.com
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: