Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228564 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 228217 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »

Indeed. We are still dealing with a literal interpretation of a figure of speech as being the basis of Ali's argument.

You are still assuming that Slash was saying that as a figure of speech.  You asked for your context, FunkyMonkey did a fantastic job of finding it and giving it to you.  Now, you make another reach in saying that it was just a figure of speech when you have him saying immediately after that it was hard enough to make the book based on facts alone.  It was hard to make the book based on facts alone BECAUSE he can't remember a lot of what happened during a bulk of time.  Whether it was 75% or 65% or 50% is irrelevant.  Whether or not the drug use caused the memory loss is irrelevant (although drug use can contribute to it).  My point is and always was when you have such large gaps in your memory on a time period, you cannot truly set the record straight on that time period.

Oh, and note that he says "some key stuff, some major things that went on, that I do remember", not all.  When you only remember some key stuff or major things, you just cannot simply set the record straight on that era.  That's all I've been tryin to say this whole time.

Ali
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »

Dude, it WAS a "figure of speech". People, as a whole, remember a lot less than 1% of their experiences. There are some savants that remember more, but that is the exception. Events that one consider important, are the ones that are retained.

One might not be able to "set the record straight" on the era, however important, or key events could be clarified. Whether, or not, this book will do that, I do not know.

That being said, I am through with this.  Have a good day.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Ali
Legend

« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »

Dude, it WAS a "figure of speech". People, as a whole, remember a lot less than 1% of their experiences. There are some savants that remember more, but that is the exception. Events that one consider important, are the ones that are retained.

One might not be able to "set the record straight" on the era, however important, or key events could be clarified. Whether, or not, this book will do that, I do not know.

That being said, I am through with this.? Have a good day.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Like I said it doesn't matter whether it was 50% or 75% that he doesn't remember.  Maybe the percentage is wrong, but given the time that has passed and perhaps more importantly, the substance abuse, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't remember a huge amount of what went on.

Maybe he can clarify certain events, but if it's only certain events, it's not a complete picture, the whole story of what happened with GN'R.  That's why I said the book should be taken, and hyped by Slash and everyone else, as just a fun, rock and roll memoir.  Not the inside story of the rise and fall of the original GN'R.

Ali
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »

Another reach? Oh please. I thought this was a discussion, not a pissing contest. I called you on the source which I thought was dodgy. You gave it to me in full; I accepted the source.

The content is still a figure of speech. If you disagree, then you should perhaps look into one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-4752299-8310331?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=figure+of+speech
Ali
Legend

« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »

Another reach? Oh please. I thought this was a discussion, not a pissing contest. I called you on the source which I thought was dodgy. You gave it to me in full; I accepted the source.

The content is still a figure of speech. If you disagree, then you should perhaps look into one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-4752299-8310331?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=figure+of+speech

My point was that there was obvious truth, and a good bit, behind the statement where as my understanding of what you were trying to say was that it was just a figure of speech, quite far removed from the truth.? I post other quotes to show that he has stated, if not directly then by implication, on more than one occasion that he remembers a small overall percentage of the era including his GN'R tenure and you still imply that it is just a figure of speech.? I say it doesn't matter what the exact percentage is of what he remembers, but it matters that enough of his memory of his GN'R tenure is gone that it makes him unable to set the record straight/paint a complete picture on his GN'R days.? I wasn't trying to insult you or have a pissing contest.

Ali
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:10:05 PM by Ali » Logged
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2007, 07:15:57 PM »

Why not wait till the damn book is out before passing a judgement!! It going to be a great read, from the except, it sounds like slash can remember quit a bit, but how the fuck do you forget events like that!!  As much as slash may have forgoten, i'm sure he remembers enough to put an awsome book together!!    Just because he was on drugs doesn't mean shit, he still has his side of the story! 

When he says he can't remember 75% or whatever, yes some people are taking that WAY too literally!!  For example, he mentions the bathroom renivator coming over and putting lines down on the toilat seat etc......to the people who think slash really can't remember 75%.........do you think he'd have forgotten almost everything else that week? like say if 5 people came by his house, cable guy, furnature delivery people, painter,etc....I bet even in his state he can remember all 5 people coming by his house... its not like he litterally only remembers 1 of 4 events and then the rest is totally blacked out!!  He may not remember every conversation with each person, but he'l remember the memerable parts, as he descirbes in the book about the bathroom renivater.

This has been hyped so much and i think the 'setting the record straight" part will only be a small percenage of his bio.  How a GNR fan could not look forward to hearing Slash's take on events in his life is totally beyond me. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »

Why not wait till the damn book is out before passing a judgement!! It going to be a great read, from the except, it sounds like slash can remember quit a bit, but how the fuck do you forget events like that!!? As much as slash may have forgoten, i'm sure he remembers enough to put an awsome book together!!? ? Just because he was on drugs doesn't mean shit, he still has his side of the story!?

When he says he can't remember 75% or whatever, yes some people are taking that WAY too literally!!? For example, he mentions the bathroom renivator coming over and putting lines down on the toilat seat etc......to the people who think slash really can't remember 75%.........do you think he'd have forgotten almost everything else that week? like say if 5 people came by his house, cable guy, furnature delivery people, painter,etc....I bet even in his state he can remember all 5 people coming by his house... its not like he litterally only remembers 1 of 4 events and then the rest is totally blacked out!!? He may not remember every conversation with each person, but he'l remember the memerable parts, as he descirbes in the book about the bathroom renivater.

This has been hyped so much and i think the 'setting the record straight" part will only be a small percenage of his bio.? How a GNR fan could not look forward to hearing Slash's take on events in his life is totally beyond me.?

I, for one, am looking forward to this book.  I just don't think it should be hyped or taken as the inside story of the rise and fall of the original GN'R. 

Ali
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »

Tony Fenton from Irish radio station, Today Fm, was talking about this book on air today. It's apparently full of mad stories including when Slash became so paranoid he was convinced he was being persued by movie monster, The Predator, which resulted in him purchasing an arsenal of weapons.

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2007, 07:22:56 PM »

How a GNR fan could not look forward to hearing Slash's take on events in his life is totally beyond me. 

Because you know the guy's not honest?

You can always look forward to hearing somebody's version of the events, but when you know the guy's been lying in the past to make himself look better, you suddenly start thinking that it's not really going to be him telling what actually happened.....

If you get caught lying multiple times do you expect anyone to believe you?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:28:38 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »

What lies has he told Jarmo?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2007, 07:30:40 PM »

He admitted that he lied about going to Axl's house.

That's the latest thing I recall.

How many times did he say he wasn't gonna talk about Axl or GN'R? Only to do so at the next opportunity.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »

The big, recent one, which he even admits was a lie, was when he said that he didn't go to Axl's house in October of 2005 (I believe).

Which is not to say that is always lying or anything, but you wanted an example and that's a prominent one.

Ali
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2007, 07:37:26 PM »

Worse than any lie, to me anyway, is the Hard Rock/guitar thing. I think that speaks more to a persons character. I could see a struggling artist doing something like that, but someone with money? I hope he clears this up in his book and it turns out to be a bad choice made under extreme intoxication. At least that would mitigate it ... somewhat.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »

Fuck so he did go to Axl's house...?? That's mad, I guess he lied then so as not to upset the other members of VR. So I wonder was it true about those things he was supposed to have said about the other VR members...Can't imagine him calling Duff 'spineless' though

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »

Worse than any lie, to me anyway, is the Hard Rock/guitar thing.

What's the Hard Rock/guitar thing?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »

Fuck so he did go to Axl's house...?? That's mad, I guess he lied then so as not to upset the other members of VR. So I wonder was it true about those things he was supposed to have said about the other VR members...Can't imagine him calling Duff 'spineless' though

Why can't you imagine that?  Have you never made a negative comment about one of your friends to someone else?  Anyway, I don't understand why Jarmo and others think that Slash lies all the time.  Theres three sides to every story. 

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2007, 09:17:53 PM »

I don't understand why Jarmo and others think that Slash lies all the time.??

Even the most diehard Slash fan has to admit he's inconsistent at best in quite a few instances.

Theres three sides to every story.

I take it all with a grain of skeptical salt these days, just because one party is lying doesn't mean the other is telling the truth.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2007, 09:43:04 PM »

the problem in guns n'roses is : who tell the truth.

and i'll probably answer : izzy.

too bad he doesn't speak too much  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2007, 09:48:02 PM »

I don't understand why Jarmo and others think that Slash lies all the time.??

Even the most diehard Slash fan has to admit he's inconsistent at best in quite a few instances.

Theres three sides to every story.

I take it all with a grain of skeptical salt these days, just because one party is lying doesn't mean the other is telling the truth.

I agree with the last thing you said, Falcon.  It is certainly true.  But, the problem is that in the absence of having all the parties involved telling their side of the story, it's hard to get a complete picture of what went on.  So, there can be a tendency to take the one version of the GN'R story that is out there as truth. 

I wish Axl would tell his side of the story in greater detail.  He's skimmed over it in the last eight years or so, but never really told his side in any great detail.  Not that his should be taken as the truth, but he deserves to at least be heard as does Slash and the others.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »

I want to know about his guitar playing in this book as well. ?Like how in the hell he came up with coma and what inspired him to play one of his best solos ever on a song he thought was stupid at first in "Sweet Child". ?

Slash can be inconsistant and always gives the company line, always.

I think even a bigger lie is when former members act like they don't want to reunite. ?Way deep down, Axl and Slash know they will be back together. ?I hate all this shit about how their new bands are their focus. ?Short term? ?yes. ?Long term? ?They are lying if they say they don't have that itch still. ?

Get the book for entertainment only. ?Unless he is talking about guitar be careful. ?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: