Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 06:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228565 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 228323 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »

he may not remember 75% of it, but fuck sake he hired a body guard for when he was drunk/high, so i guess that guy would have been able to tell him alot of things, he also clearly still speaks to duff matt adler and izzy so i'm sure they can fill him in on alot of things as well.

it's not hard to find things out when you're still in regular contact with the majority of people who were around you when they were happening is it.

some people however will just use any excuse to take a jab at someone, it's fucking pathetic, simple logic, if you can't remember what happened ask someone else that was there.

Look at the Slash fans being upset because I asked a simple question whether or not you think it's a good sign that the author himself says he can't remember a majority of what actually went on.

Slash left GN'R eleven years ago. This is a GN'R site, not a VR fan site dedicated to his current band.

God... why does everything has to be so problematic in here?

Because you refused to answer one simple question and dance around it?

Everybody knows Slash?s past. Are we going to get through that now?  I can easily figure out some posts coming next "Oh... he was drunk all the time, he almost died! He was always stoned!" Really??  Shocked Didn?t know that.  no Damn... I thought Slash was a completely different person...  Yeah... he can?t remember much of his past... so doesn?t Duff and he?s thinking of writing a book too... will that be bad as well?

I?m a Gn?R fan. If anything Gn?R related comes out... I?ll buy it. Let it be a Slash?s book or the Reckless Road one. I?ll buy it and I?m glad everytime something about Gn?R comes out.

You?re already spreading negativity over the book... "oh he can?t remember much of his past. that ain?t a good sign." Well it isn?t.... you?re right. But that won?t stop me buying the book of my "hero" or whatever.

I bet we only know a little bit of what actually has happened in his life. So I wouldn't say we know his past.

Negativity?

Just because I question the fact that he admit he doesn't know what went on? He's also admitted that he lies....

I'm sorry if that doesn't make me go "Wow! Sounds like a reliable book is coming!".

Tell me... have you read Slash?s book? You?re already pre-judging it! Let it be released. Read it! Then... you can give us your opinion on it.

I read Nikki's book and I said his book didn't appear to be about making him look cool or setting the record straight. Often biographies are.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »

wait for something to be released before you fucking pass judegement on it, rather than fucking whine because slash can't remember 75% of what he did on a 3 year tour.

and honestly some of the hypocrisy on here is astounding.

how about we focus on the 25%, you know the positive side of things, or is it ok to be negative about slash but not about axl?

because lord knows if you moan about 80% of gnr being gone, you'd soon be gone from this board.

jarmo you're as bad as all the stupid axl haters on this board saying CD will be crap without having heard it.

When he guy says he can't remember 75% of an era he's writing about, that makes what he is writing about that era fundamentally flawed and inaccurate.  There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

You simply cannot set the record straight about events that happened during an era that you by and large do not remember.

Pointing out the fact that a portion of an autobiography, about a particular era, is bound to be inaccurate because of the author's own admission that he can't remember the majority of what went on during that time frame is not an irrational pre-judgement of the book.  It is simple logic.

Ali
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »

ali, slash doesn't remember 75% of a set era, who said he's going to make things up? couldn't he just miss out what he can't remember. seems like a pretty obvious thing to do to me.

again wait till the book comes out, if it's shit then i'll be on here saying it's shit, untill then people should shut the fuck up about it.

he may not remember 75% of it, but fuck sake he hired a body guard for when he was drunk/high, so i guess that guy would have been able to tell him alot of things, he also clearly still speaks to duff matt adler and izzy so i'm sure they can fill him in on alot of things as well.

it's not hard to find things out when you're still in regular contact with the majority of people who were around you when they were happening is it.

some people however will just use any excuse to take a jab at someone, it's fucking pathetic, simple logic, if you can't remember what happened ask someone else that was there.

Look at the Slash fans being upset because I asked a simple question whether or not you think it's a good sign that the author himself says he can't remember a majority of what actually went on.

Slash left GN'R eleven years ago. This is a GN'R site, not a VR fan site dedicated to his current band.

/jarmo

actually more of an axl fan, but whatever.

and upset isn't the right word, dissapointed someone who is obviously an intelligent person can be so stupid as to pre-judge something.

you are just as bad as everyone who says GnR now suck because slash isn't involved, even though they haven't heard any of the music.

and before you go on the whole, but you bought gnr into this, yeah i know i did, to show your blatent hypocrisy.

and as for

well done, however this section of the gnr site is dedicated to VR and it's kind of obvious alot of gnr fans will also be VR fans. so why do you have to keep coming into this section and talking shit. you have mods so you don't need to read this section, they can look after it for you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:46:09 PM by Alan » Logged

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »

I didn't prejudge anything.

I said it makes me suspicious. That comment along with his past comments and actions doesn't make me think it might be the most objective and accurate book.

I just don't think the guy is the most reliable perons on this planet.

Sorry!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

God... why does everything has to be so problematic in here?

Because you refused to answer one simple question and dance around it?

/jarmo

Well you often do the same thing so...
And please, just wait for the book to come out... then you can see if you?re right or not. Just wait some more weeks (you?re going to buy it right?). I?m sure you?re quite used to waiting...

Anyway... I?m getting quite tired of this same old discussions. You?re not? I mean... it might be funny and interesting exercising our own minds coming here and argument with someone but it ain?t healthy if discussions like this happen every single day. Not even for me who loves changing arguments. It gets old you know... But yeah... this is a Gn?R board and I really advise every single VR fan here to join another board to talk about VR. This is absolutely insane here and not healthy at all. If we all did so (stop posting in this section) it would stop. But this must be kinda addictive cos I?ve promised myself not to come to this section again... and here I am again... what a vicious circle this is. Oh well lol... we?re doomed! ?no

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:33:46 PM by Ines » Logged

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »

I?m sure you?re quite used to waiting...

How clever and witty!  ok

/jarmo

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »

From an interview with Slash that was posted today in the New Times Broward/Palm Beach...

In addition, he's written an autobiography that he hopes will set the record straight about his past and present. Trouble is, he admits that he "can't remember three-quarters of what went on." Maybe that Rolling Stone article can refresh his memory.

Huh

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2007-10-04/music/velvet-revolver-seeks-libertad/

That's what makes me curious...

How can he write an autobiography and set the record straight when he can't remember most of the stuff that happened back then?

well, he's obviously only written about what he remembers...

Really? How do you know that? Have you received an advanced copy of the book?

Ali

no I haven't, but quite simple logic led me to the conclusion.
for example, how is he supposed to write about something he doesn't remember?

also, all of y'all....have you never had friend go "remember when we did that and that happened?" and you don't remember shit, then the friend tells a bit more about it and everything comes back to you?
well, when writing autobiographies, this is a common technique used.
it doesn't mean someone else remembers something, and that ends up in the book. it means someone helped the writer remember something that happened, and THAT's what ends up in the book.

Edit: Jarmo, if you're not interested in this book, or if you will go into reading it with a negative attitude, then I suggest you follow your own advice (on the latter one), and don't get it, cos it will only ruin the mood of all other readers who are enjoying the book.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:11:47 PM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2007, 04:22:29 PM »

From an interview with Slash that was posted today in the New Times Broward/Palm Beach...

In addition, he's written an autobiography that he hopes will set the record straight about his past and present. Trouble is, he admits that he "can't remember three-quarters of what went on." Maybe that Rolling Stone article can refresh his memory.

Huh

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2007-10-04/music/velvet-revolver-seeks-libertad/

How can he write an autobiography and set the record straight when he can't remember most of the stuff that happened back then?

Ali

also, all of y'all....have you never had friend go "remember when we did that and that happened?" and you don't remember shit, then the friend tells a bit more about it and everything comes back to you?
it doesn't mean someone else remembers something, and that ends up in the book. it means someone helped the writer remember something that happened, and THAT's what ends up in the book.

Edit: Jarmo, if you're not interested in this book, or if you will go into reading it with a negative attitude, then I suggest you follow your own advice (on the latter one), and don't get it, cos it will only ruin the mood of all other readers who are enjoying the book.

So, just cause some people don't believe everything Slash says, they shouldn't buy the book cause they'll ruin everyone else's reading?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:38 PM »

This VR section is full of witty and clever jokes. Where do you come up with all this hilarious material?

I promise you, if I read the book, I won't go to a VR site to post my review or comments. I swear!

I follow my own advice. I don't go and post on fan sites dedicated to artists that I don't like. Imagine if some of you would do the same instead of trying to point out I'm a hypocrite?

/jarmo

darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2007, 04:33:56 PM »

A lot of us here are GNR fans as well. So we should not post here. I post in the GNR section of VR boards. I really don't see the problem. Isn't this what this section is ultimately for, or was before you started using it as your forum to trash VR.

It would be intersting to see what percentage of your posts occur in the VR section compared to the GNR section.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2007, 04:36:08 PM »

This VR section is full of witty and clever jokes. Where do you come up with all this hilarious material?

I promise you, if I read the book, I won't go to a VR site to post my review or comments. I swear!

I follow my own advice. I don't go and post on fan sites dedicated to artists that I don't like. Imagine if some of you would do the same instead of trying to point out I'm a hypocrite?

/jarmo

VR site? Slash has been in other bands than VR, hasn't he? many fans of those bands might end up enjoying the book as well. you never know!

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2007, 04:38:50 PM »

VR site? Slash has been in other bands than VR, hasn't he? many fans of those bands might end up enjoying the book as well. you never know!

Ok, fine: I also promise not to go to a Slash fan site where Slash fans might treat this book as The Bible to post any comments.

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2007, 05:25:02 PM »

Huh

Ali

See, that's the thing.  He talks about wanting to set the record straight, yet at the same time he says he can't remember 75% of what went on then.  He is implying that he IS in fact writing about what he doesn't remember.

Yes, I've had someone jog my memory about what happened in the past.  But his co-author wasn't there so how is he supposed to help Slash remember?

The problem with what you are describing is that it is still grossly inaccurate.  You are relying on someone other than the person who was there to prompt and prod memories and in doing so, the prompter/prodder can unduly influence those memories to the point of distorting them.  Bottom line:  this book is bound to be inaccurate when the man himself doesn't have natural recall or recollection of the events he's writing about and his co-author was not present for those things.  That isn't to say it won't be an interesting or fun read.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2007, 08:00:21 PM »

That quote even says "trouble is...".

I didn't write it!

I just agree that it's somewhat alarming that somebody wants to set the record straight and doesn't remember most of what happened....

Obviously, there's also the issue of time. Something that pissed you off in 1991 might not be a big deal to you today when you think back. Or vice versa.

/jarmo

Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »

That quote even says "trouble is...".

I didn't write it!

I just agree that it's somewhat alarming that somebody wants to set the record straight and doesn't remember most of what happened....

Obviously, there's also the issue of time. Something that pissed you off in 1991 might not be a big deal to you today when you think back. Or vice versa.

/jarmo

So... he shouldn?t have wrote this book... is that it? Yeah... there?s all those issues about it but cmon... you?re not even a little bit curious about what?s written in there?? Tongue

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »

So... he shouldn?t have wrote this book... is that it? Yeah... there?s all those issues about it but cmon... you?re not even a little bit curious about what?s written in there?  Tongue

I didn't even imply that!

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, setting the record straight and not knowing what actually happened doesn't go hand in hand.

Did you read Nikki's book? Slash is in it.

Kinda interesting that when Slash talks about Nikki OD'ing, his first sentence is "I can't remember too much about it.".

Slash's girlfriend at the time tells most of the story.

Slash freaks out, smashes the shower screen and passes out.....

His girlfriend tries to get somebody to call an ambulance.....

Do you think others are gonna fill in the gaps his stories in the book?

The book's description doesn't mention anything about that.

But it does say: Slash is everything the man, the myth, the legend, inspires: it's funny, honest, inspiring, jaw-dropping . . . and, in a word, excessive.

Wonder what he's gonna be honest about.....

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »

The lack of logic here is astounding.

Saying what someone is writing seems predisposed to inaccuracy is not the same as saying he didn't have any right to write the book, nor is it saying anything along the lines of it isn't worth getting.

If you can't see the problem with Slash trying to set the record straight on events and issues he doesn't remember, then...well, I don't know what to say to that.

It just seem so simple and logical to me that what he is trying to do with the book is flawed from the get go.

Ali
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »

can we stop arguing about this? at least until after we've actually read the book.  hihi
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2007, 02:55:04 AM »

can we stop arguing about this? at least until after we've actually read the book. hihi

my God yeah, can you imagine? the whole GNR society is probably gonna explode with arguments!

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2007, 02:57:05 AM »

Huh

Ali

So, just cause some people don't believe everything Slash says, they shouldn't buy the book cause they'll ruin everyone else's reading?

well, why ruin other peoples fun in that way? that's being like Nelson. "you think the book is good!? HA-ha".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:24:52 AM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: