Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228564 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 228276 times)
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2007, 04:26:30 PM »

But it doesn't mean it didn't happen.....

Re-read my post.? I never said it didn't happen.? I just find that level of detail curious considering how he said he can't remember 75% of what went on during the time period he is trying to set straight.? Maybe those are just some incidents that stuck in his memory for some reason.? We'll see.

Ali

I agree with you .....but actually I don't believe that he only remembers 25 %, I think he remembers way more than that I think is just a figure of speech.....

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »

can't wait to have the book on my hands!!! It's gonna be a pretty interesting' read!!!   Grin
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »

when you have an army of little predators who runs after you you probably remember about  it anyway  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
CSS
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2007, 07:17:01 PM »

Great read.

I can't wait to get it!
isa
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »

really funny, very Slash! Wink
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2007, 10:13:23 PM »

Anytime a cop has to respond to an incident, they have to log in a report. This would be one for the books and easy for someone to pick up if they had the name of the police department that met with Slash. It might not necessarily be detailed, but could be interesting.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2007, 12:26:43 AM »

Re-read my post.  I never said it didn't happen.  I just find that level of detail curious considering how he said he can't remember 75% of what went on during the time period he is trying to set straight.  Maybe those are just some incidents that stuck in his memory for some reason.  We'll see.

Ali

Do you think its possible hes exaggerating a bit for humorous effect?
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2007, 12:30:30 AM »

Shocked

I NEED THIS BOOK! Cheesy

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2007, 12:35:43 AM »

Re-read my post. I never said it didn't happen. I just find that level of detail curious considering how he said he can't remember 75% of what went on during the time period he is trying to set straight. Maybe those are just some incidents that stuck in his memory for some reason. We'll see.

Ali

He was probably speaking extemporaneously; "off the cuff" if you will.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2007, 02:33:37 AM »

But it doesn't mean it didn't happen.....

Re-read my post.? I never said it didn't happen.? I just find that level of detail curious considering how he said he can't remember 75% of what went on during the time period he is trying to set straight.? Maybe those are just some incidents that stuck in his memory for some reason.? We'll see.

Ali

I agree with you .....but actually I don't believe that he only remembers 25 %, I think he remembers way more than that I think is just a figure of speech.....

With all due respect, I think you're underestimating the damaging effects of heavy drug use.  Also, consider that Duff has also said that he was in such a haze that he really doesn't remember much of the UYI tour.  Those guys were in a complete drug haze.

Ali
Chief
Legend

« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2007, 02:35:52 AM »

thanks for the post... wow, that was crazy. we hardly know the half of what went on in Guns!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Ali
Legend

« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2007, 02:38:23 AM »

Ali

Again, no, I don't. ?He was obviously in a drug haze for several years. ?Plus, he has said on multiple occasions he doesn't remember much of what happened before 2000. ?Saying it once can be an off the cuff remark, but when you say it multiple times I don't think it is. ?Add in the fact that Duff has said that he doesn't remember most of the UYI tours and I think you can't underestimate the damaging effects of hard core drug addiction.

Ali
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2007, 08:46:29 AM »

I'm sure this story was firmly entrenched in Slash's mind.  I recall him mentioning it years and years ago in an interview.  As to how they were at a hotel/resort and he freaked out, ran through a glass wall and was all bloody.  Guns n Roses are lucky that their time was before camera phones and YouTube, just imagine the stuff we would have seen. 

I don't know why but Adler handing him sweatpants, just strikes me as so funny. 
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »

hahhah! can't wait to read this thing!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »

Ali

Again, no, I don't.? He was obviously in a drug haze for several years.? Plus, he has said on multiple occasions he doesn't remember much of what happened before 2000.? Saying it once can be an off the cuff remark, but when you say it multiple times I don't think it is.? Add in the fact that Duff has said that he doesn't remember most of the UYI tours and I think you can't underestimate the damaging effects of hard core drug addiction.

Ali

I don't think it was meant in a literal sense. "I can't remember half of what I did ..." is hyperbole employed by many "hard core" partiers in an effort to convey just how trashed they were for a certain amount of time. Not everything spoken is to be taken literally, especially when taken in context to what preceeded, or what it preceeded.

Where as, I haven't read the origonal quote, I have seen that idiom used many times, and have used it myself. I challenge you to pull the interview in it's entirety, and see if the quote in question does, or does not qualify another statement.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:27:44 AM by fuckin crazy » Logged

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2007, 10:56:54 AM »

I used the "I don't remember half . . ." line just the other day. (And I wasn't even doing drugs.)

Ali
Legend

« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »

Ali

Again, no, I don't.? He was obviously in a drug haze for several years.? Plus, he has said on multiple occasions he doesn't remember much of what happened before 2000.? Saying it once can be an off the cuff remark, but when you say it multiple times I don't think it is.? Add in the fact that Duff has said that he doesn't remember most of the UYI tours and I think you can't underestimate the damaging effects of hard core drug addiction.

Ali

I don't think it was meant in a literal sense. "I can't remember half of what I did ..." is hyperbole employed by many "hard core" partiers in an effort to convey just how trashed they were for a certain amount of time. Not everything spoken is to be taken literally, especially when taken in context to what preceeded, or what it preceeded.

Where as, I haven't read the origonal quote, I have seen that idiom used many times, and have used it myself. I challenge you to pull the interview in it's entirety, and see if the quote in question does, or does not qualify another statement.

Slash was not a "hardcore partier".? He was a hard core drug addict.? You are grossly underestimating what Slash himself admits about his drug use.? You are also underestimating the consequences of heavy drug use.

Here it is:

The good news: Slash's photo appeared on the August 9 cover of Rolling Stone just as his current band, Velvet Revolver, was releasing a new CD, Libertad. The bad news: The image pictured him with Guns N' Roses, whose most famous album, Appetite for Destruction, hit stores 20 years ago. And inside the mag, the Gunners received feature treatment, whereas the Velvets wound up with a sidebar.

It could have been worse. After all, Slash managed to embody the first half of the phrase emblazoned on the T-shirt he wore in that 1988 photo ? "Live Fast, Die Young" ? without succumbing to the second. Not that it wasn't touch-and-go on occasion.

"Most everyone in Guns has been pretty close ? at least four of us," he says. "The calls have been so close to the point that there's no reason I should still be here. I've been clinically dead and all this other shit."

Still, Slash waited until he was "around 39 or 40" before he got serious about cleaning up. After getting hooked on OxyContin, which he discovered upon growing bored of the Vicodin he was given after surgery for a torn rotator cuff, he says, "I checked into rehab and said, 'Let's try and rethink this.' " A few weeks later, he concluded, "Someone's trying to keep me here, and I'd better not fuck it up."

The "clarity" Slash says he gained as a result benefited Libertad, a modest improvement over Contraband, the 2004 VR debut he made with former Stone Temple Pilot Scott Weiland, guitarist Dave Kushner, and GNR vets Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. But the band's survival was threatened after rumors surfaced about Slash rejoining Guns alongside frequently unhinged frontman Axl Rose ? a situation Slash made worse by initially claiming that a late-night visit with Rose hadn't taken place. "I didn't really intend to lie for any other reason than that I didn't feel like explaining everything. Which is the reason most people lie, I guess," he says, laughing.

Today, however, the Velvets are moving forward again, and Slash is anticipating two new projects. The first is his debut as a playable character in the forthcoming Guitar Hero III, a video game he loves but has had difficulty mastering. "It's actually a lot harder to play as a guitar player," he allows. "You put something in your hands that's remotely similar to a guitar and you approach it a certain way, and Guitar Hero doesn't necessarily work like that." In addition, he's written an autobiography that he hopes will set the record straight about his past and present. Trouble is, he admits that he "can't remember three-quarters of what went on."

Maybe that Rolling Stone article can refresh his memory.

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2007-10-04/music/velvet-revolver-seeks-libertad/

Ali
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »

Looks like you are taking seriously what someone else should not have taken literally.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »

Looks like you are taking seriously what someone else should not have taken literally.

First, there is nothing to indicate that Slash was joking around from that statement.  No mention of him laughing after saying that or anything of the sort.  Second, I think you are underestimating the ability for heavy hard drug use to cause memory loss.

Ali
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2007, 01:34:43 PM »

Where is the context for the quote. By itself it means nothing. My challenge still stands. Find the quote in its entirety, not what some paper printed. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I know people that were "heavy drug" users, and I have been involved with addicts from full blown addiction to recovery. I intimately know addiction and its consequenses, and aftermaths.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: