Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 01:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 212139 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1340 on: November 23, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »

Been meaning to ask you guys this...why was slash and his wife banned from that vegas show???

Management banned them from attending.

I don't know if there was some sort of fear that Slash would cause a scene or something.

I think GN'R's manager said they didn't want any kind of distractions and decided not to take any risks.

/jarmo

Was Zutnat the manager then?  Are Goldstein?  Who is current manager for those that don't know (me)... I think its just Axl..  And Alan Niven, was he the manager during appetite after the chic?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1341 on: November 23, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »

Tom Zutaut never was the manager, he was the A&R guy at Geffen.

GN'R were managed by Doug Goldstein at the time (who Slash mentions in the book and doesn't seem to like).

Before Doug, Alan was the manager.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1342 on: November 23, 2007, 10:19:36 PM »

That is it!!  I knew I was close!  Goldstein is BFD (big fucking deal) management correct?  Oh well, fuck it.  I was at the gig slash got denied at.  Amazing show.  The best i ever saw of the buckethead lineup.
r3dhawk6
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1343 on: November 24, 2007, 01:19:23 AM »

Been meaning to ask you guys this...why was slash and his wife banned from that vegas show???
I don't know if there was some sort of fear that Slash would cause a scene or something.
I think GN'R's manager said they didn't want any kind of distractions and decided not to take any risks.
/jarmo

Isn't that just ridiculous?? Like they don't even give Axl and the rest of GNR enough credit for being professional enough to not be bothered by anyone in the crowd.? Seriously Axl can take care of himself - he's no shrinking violet - and certainly is professional enough to not be distracted by the audience.? He has years of on-stage experience in front of all types and sizes of crowds.? That's what he does.? Where's the risk?? What risk?? Just doesn't make sense.

I admit I personally may not be up to speed on the (new) GNR, but its not because I'm an Axl hater. Its more because it just hasn't really sparked my interest in general.
[/url]
then what are you doing here?

I'm an OLD GNR fan from way back and my heart just hasn't been into their new stuff. So lighten up for goodness sake - its certainly nothing to crucify us about.[/url]
so wait, you claim you aren't up to speed on the band yet your heart isn't into the material? which is it? if you have given the music and this lineup a chance, you would be "up to speed".

The original band had more than one "stand-out" member so its only natural for people to feel think of GNR as a pkg deal - its not the same without the old gang with Axl just as it wouldn't be the same if it were the other 4 and no Axl.
so does this lineup. In fact all 3 guitarists stand out in their own ways. Tommy is a legend. But you wouldn't know this cuz you aren't up to speed.

Um, right.? Whatever you say.? Its impossible to have any kind of meaningful dialogue or sharing of thoughts with some of you people.? Some of us just cannot say anything right or acceptable in your mind.? There are just some opinions that will not be tolerated in any way shape or form.? Really sorry I tried.? This forum has some really great things to offer, but its also got major hostile, small-minded opinionators that bring all the good down.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1344 on: November 24, 2007, 01:53:19 AM »

/jarmo

Isn't that just ridiculous?  Like they don't even give Axl and the rest of GNR enough credit for being professional enough to not be bothered by anyone in the crowd.  Seriously Axl can take care of himself - he's no shrinking violet - and certainly is professional enough to not be distracted by the audience.  He has years of on-stage experience in front of all types and sizes of crowds.  That's what he does.  Where's the risk?  What risk?  Just doesn't make sense.

This argument is interesting.

Do you really think that Slash could just show up and blend into the crowd?  I can see it..."excuse me Slash but can you keep it down, I'm trying to watch the Guns N Roses show." Roll Eyes hihi

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1345 on: November 24, 2007, 02:15:47 AM »

/jarmo

Isn't that just ridiculous?? Like they don't even give Axl and the rest of GNR enough credit for being professional enough to not be bothered by anyone in the crowd.? Seriously Axl can take care of himself - he's no shrinking violet - and certainly is professional enough to not be distracted by the audience.? He has years of on-stage experience in front of all types and sizes of crowds.? That's what he does.? Where's the risk?? What risk?? Just doesn't make sense.

Do you really think that Slash could just show up and blend into the crowd?? I can see it..."excuse me Slash but can you keep it down, I'm trying to watch the Guns N Roses show." Roll Eyes hihi

I don't think the issue is "could Axl ignore Slash and go about his business".  The issue is "could the audience ignore Slash and enjoy the show and not create a distraction by reacting to Slash's presence".  The correct response to the last bit is no.  There is no way that the audience at a GN'R show could ignore Slash's presence, not huddle around and him and make a distracting scene.  No way in hell, not a chance.

It is the audience amplifying Slash's presence and creating a distraction, a big one at that, that would have been problematic.

Having said that, I feel the correct decision was made to not let Slash into the audience.

Ali
r3dhawk6
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1346 on: November 24, 2007, 02:27:34 AM »

Do you really think that Slash could just show up and blend into the crowd? I can see it..."excuse me Slash but can you keep it down, I'm trying to watch the Guns N Roses show." Roll Eyes hihi

Yes, of course. ?Why not? ?

What do you expect he was going to do? ?Jump up and down and shoot sparks out of his ass?? Besides I'm sure that he could have viewed the show from a less conspicuous position if necessary. ?

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to be argumentative. ?I guess I thought maybe others could see the silliness in management's banning decision.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1347 on: November 24, 2007, 02:57:02 AM »

Its impossible to have any kind of meaningful dialogue or sharing of thoughts with some of you people.  Some of us just cannot say anything right or acceptable in your mind.  There are just some opinions that will not be tolerated in any way shape or form.  Really sorry I tried.  This forum has some really great things to offer, but its also got major hostile, small-minded opinionators that bring all the good down.

maybe if you got yourself "up to speed" there would be some meaningful dialogue.  But I seriously don't know what else to say to someone who would come to a GnR board and admit they aren't even interested in the band and know very little about it, other than to check it out with an open mind and give it a chance.
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #1348 on: November 24, 2007, 06:18:04 AM »

You have to remember that the Anthony Bouzza (sp?) guy wrote the book in the literal sense, not Slash. Slash probably just recounted his story to Bouzza and so inaccuracies like 'Kirshner' are not really down to Slash. After that whole house situation a few weeks ago, do you really think Slash proofread this book?? Tongue Your criticism should be aimed more at Bouzza and not so much on Slash.  hihi

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1349 on: November 24, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »

Do you really think that Slash could just show up and blend into the crowd? I can see it..."excuse me Slash but can you keep it down, I'm trying to watch the Guns N Roses show." Roll Eyes hihi

Yes, of course.  Why not? 

What do you expect he was going to do?  Jump up and down and shoot sparks out of his ass?  Besides I'm sure that he could have viewed the show from a less conspicuous position if necessary. 

Anyhow, I wasn't trying to be argumentative.  I guess I thought maybe others could see the silliness in management's banning decision.

There seems to be a lot to debate on this forum, but if Slash could slip into a Guns N Roses show unnoticed?

And he would not have to "jump up and down and shoot sparks out of his ass" (although that could be interesting lol), you said he could have viewed the show from a less conspicuous position?  There is nothing inconspicuous about Slash...and if he has his hat on...forget it. Wink

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1350 on: November 24, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

Do you really think that Slash could just show up and blend into the crowd??

The fact that Slash actually intended to go to the show is inconsiderate and rude if you ask me.

Would Slash or Velvet Revolver appreciate Axl showing up at one of their gigs?

I highly doubt it.

I don't think the issue is "could Axl ignore Slash and go about his business".? The issue is "could the audience ignore Slash and enjoy the show and not create a distraction by reacting to Slash's presence".? The correct response to the last bit is no.? There is no way that the audience at a GN'R show could ignore Slash's presence, not huddle around and him and make a distracting scene.? No way in hell, not a chance.

It is the audience amplifying Slash's presence and creating a distraction, a big one at that, that would have been problematic.

Exactly.

Having said that, I feel the correct decision was made to not let Slash into the audience.

Completely agree.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:22:12 PM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1351 on: November 24, 2007, 12:34:02 PM »

Judging by the way Slash talks in the book, It doesn't seem as if GNR made as much money as we anticipated. He said something like 80 percent of their money was gone due to the production and the late fees etc. and the after parties.

That sounds kind of made up...............................................

If that was the case, they'd only make 20 million on a 100 million grossing tour which means after taxes etc, each member would've only made maybe 2 million...........

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1352 on: November 24, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »

Judging by the way Slash talks in the book, It doesn't seem as if GNR made as much money as we anticipated. He said something like 80 percent of their money was gone due to the production and the late fees etc. and the after parties.

If that was the case, they'd only make 20 million on a 100 million grossing tour which means after taxes etc, each member would've only made maybe 2 million...........

D ... think about it ... late fees ran in at hundreds of thousands of dollars ... a night.  Parties ... limo's ... fucking Jumbo Jets ... tour costs ... support bands costs ... crew costs ...

It all mounts up.

We don't know what the guys in GnR made, but I've heard plenty of times about the waste that went on.  I don't get surprised when I hear this kind of thing.

That said ... $2m is a LOT of cash! lol

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #1353 on: November 24, 2007, 06:39:46 PM »

D ... think about it ... late fees ran in at hundreds of thousands of dollars ... a night.  Parties ... limo's ... fucking Jumbo Jets ... tour costs ... support bands costs ... crew costs ...

It all mounts up.

We don't know what the guys in GnR made, but I've heard plenty of times about the waste that went on.  I don't get surprised when I hear this kind of thing.

That said ... $2m is a LOT of cash! lol

Yeah, $2m for two years work (which they love doing mostly) isn't too bad.  And bear in mind all this time, that AFD, Lies and UYI I & II are all whizzing off the shelves.  I read that the band make a dollar between them off each album sold.  So 20 cents each for slash;
30 (AFD) + 10 (Lies) + 30 (UYI I + II) + 4 (Spag).

Those are all fairly conservative sales numbers, and we still get Slash making $15,000,000 off record sales alone.  Not including Greatest Hits (cos im not too sure about the legal wranglings), Singles, Radio play, licensing, etc.  I think they may not have made so much money from touring, but I think they are still all fairly wealthy. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #1354 on: November 25, 2007, 12:34:52 AM »

I definately see it!!!!

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
flicknn
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1355 on: November 25, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »

a band member of the jetboys said salsh once tryed out for Poison while still in Gnr . some much for not liking glam rock ,,.,,heh slash
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #1356 on: November 25, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »

a band member of the jetboys said salsh once tryed out for Poison while still in Gnr . some much for not liking glam rock ,,.,,heh slash
here's the story :

JETBOY Guitarist Says SLASH 'Contradicts Himself' In His New Book - Nov. 25, 2007

BringBackGlam.com recently conducted an interview with JETBOY lead guitarist Billy Rowe. An excerpt from the chat follows:

BringBackGlam.com: Do you know that JETBOY is mentioned several times in the new Slash autobiography?

Billy: Yeah. That's a very interesting question. We played L.A. Friday and Las Vegas Saturday. A good friend of ours, he's 25, a huge fan of the band?he helps us out. Anyway, I stayed at his place Friday night and he was like, "I got the Slash book." I looked at it?and I just knew. I guarantee we're in that in bits, pieces and good size chunks. It's like history repeating itself all over again.

BringBackGlam.com: Well, it seems like Slash was a big fan.

Billy: Yeah. It's really interesting. Fern read the whole thing on the way to Vegas and back. It so personal because Todd (Crew, bass) died and was fired from the band due to substance abuse, mainly alcohol. We tried to get our manager and the band?we were buddies, two bands connected at the hip. Actually, Fernie and I knew Axl and Izzy before GUNS N' ROSES even formed and then once we got our bands going?well, HOLLYWOOD ROSE was hanging on by a thread. Axl was like "Dude, I got a new band, let's start doing shows together." Me and Izzy were pretty tight?it's kind of funny. We were the two that introduced Todd to GUNS N' ROSES and got that whole connection going. You know, Todd ended up just looking at different things? a lot of partying. When Todd joined JETBOY, he wasn't that much of a partier. It got to the point where we went to GUNS N' ROSES and said "Todd is going to die. He's bad off, you need to something." They were like "Todd's fine. We all party. You guys are tripping." We didn't know what to do. We were meeting with labels, our producer was making comments that he was cheating the band?we were a team. It was a hard decision ? and to this day I don't know if it was the right decision ? but from that day on, the two of us ? JETBOY and GUNS N' ROSES ? were at war. Six months later, Todd was dead. Todd's family went after Slash. They hired a private investigator and all this stuff. GUNS N' ROSES started badmouthing us all the way to the top. They became the biggest band in the world. A year later, they fired Steven Adler for the same reason. Is it the pot calling the kettle black? I say yes all the way around. It's very personal. I think they have guilt. They know we went to them. He was only 20 years old. He was doing too much and he died. It's a shame. When I read the book?there's a lot of stuff that isn't true. It bothers me. Slash wants the last laugh.

BringBackGlam.com: What is untrue?

Billy: First thing, he gives us props, but then he says "I didn't like the band very much."

BringBackGlam.com: Well, he doesn't like glam.

Billy: Well, I've got photos of that guy wearing lipstick, huge hair and fishnets up his arms. Whatever. He says stuff like "Their lead singer had a mohawk so that makes them less transparent, like POISON." Earlier in the book?he talks about auditioning for POISON while he was still in GUNS N' ROSES! He contradicts himself. He says he doesn't like glam but he auditioned for the glam band that was doing the best at the time because, obviously, he wanted success. When he says that he didn't like the band, that isn't true. We were all friends, we all supported each other. Axl used to trip on Mick. Mickey used to wear the chaps, then Axl started wearing the chaps. The whole overdose situation that Todd died in Slash's arms?and that he (Slash) swears someone else was there and gave him some bad dope. Todd wasn't very experienced. The bottom of the line is the guy OD'd and they revived him and then they put him back in bed. What kind of idiot doesn't call for paramedics right away? From what I know, the truth is, after he OD'd and they revived him, Slash panicked and left. They (GUNS N' ROSES) came back they found him dead, and that was their alibi. It makes complete more sense than him dying in Slash's arms when he's high as a kite on dope, probably facing possession, and he got not one charge, nothing. There's definitely some loopholes in the story.

BringBackGlam.com: So after Todd died, you never had anything else do with GUNS N' ROSES?

Billy: After Todd was out of the band, they were headed toward their trouble. They wanted to fire Axl ? several times ? before they even did a record. We all had issues with singers (laughs). I kept up with Izzy (Stradlin, original rhythm guitar for GUNS N' ROSES) he's the guy who definitely started separating himself from the band?especially when they started to get success. I remember we got thrown out of a (GUNS N' ROSES) show in the Bay Area. [JETBOY] had just moved back to San Francisco?in like 1991 and we were pretty good buddies with SKID ROW. They were touring with GUNS N' ROSES. We went to hang out at the show and we were backstage?and here comes Axl walking by. Mickey said "Hey Axl, what's going on?" We kind of did have a make-up thing. They made a public apology at the Cathouse one night (in 1988), but we didn't hang out like we used to. They were blowing up so big they were always on the road. Ten minutes later, I saw some crew guy?go up to SKID ROW's guy and whisper in his ear and I just knew. That crew guy talked to Rachel (Bolan, SKID ROW bassist) and he was like "What?!" and he came over and said "Dude, you've all got to leave. Axl said he won't go on until JETBOY is out of the venue." I was like "You've got to be fucking kidding." He really just wanted us out of backstage. The funny thing is they had given us fifth row seats, so it was almost like a slap. "Get out there and watch what you ain't got." The next day I ran into Izzy on Haight Street?me, Mick and Rachel and my sister were all there shopping around. My sister was like "Hey, there's Izzy!" I was like, "Fuck that!" and I walked out the door, but before I could get out of the door, he started yelling my name. He said "Dude, I'm so sorry about yesterday. I had nothing to do with that. You know it's not me. If you want to come tonight, you can be my personal guest it's totally good?" Once that happened, I knew it was all Axl and it was all over Todd. He was never around. He was always in his own world. It was another drama situation for him to embellish and be a part of?to use his wackiness. I never understood that.

Source : Blabbermouth

Read entire interview here

http://www.bringbackglam.com/journal/2007/...glam-years.html

GNR forever !!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1357 on: November 25, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »

It's one thing to misrepresent, either intentionally or unintentionally, what happened between the band members or certain.  It is yet another when it involves the circumstances around someone's death.

I was a little disturbed by reading this.  Especially considering how beloved Todd Crew seemed to be by GN'R.

Ali
guns_n_motley
« Reply #1358 on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

I think one thing it does prove is that slash isnt mr. honesty/nice guy like everyone thinks. and dont get me wrong, i am a HUGE slash fan. but people seem to treat his word as gospel.

nobody in this band was a saint.
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1359 on: November 25, 2007, 10:39:26 PM »

Hang on ... that Jetboy guy is doing a lot of speculating.  I've been scathed for speculation before.  Don't be so sure he's right Smiley

He's saying about what he heard happened re: the death of Todd.  Well ... what he 'heard' is no better than reading the book.  He's not got evidence to back it up.

Ah well Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: