Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 09:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 212523 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1300 on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:10 PM »

He says towards the end about how he kept a journal for a while, but then a load of them got stolen, or words to that effect.  So he stopped. 

That sounds familiar. Thanks.

So he didn't have access to them....

IMO, I feel like slash truly cares about axl...he said it would piss him off if anyone ever talked shit about Axl and he would always stick up for him...he said the reason HE could talk shit about Axl was because he has known him for so long. It seems like he had his back even when they weren't talking. But again...my opinion.

I think Slash is image conscious.

Also, he can be blamed for some of that shit talking. If it wasn't for him lying about certain events, some things wouldn't have been said.

His comments etc. gave those people ammunition.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1301 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »

He says towards the end about how he kept a journal for a while, but then a load of them got stolen, or words to that effect.? So he stopped.?

IMO, I feel like slash truly cares about axl...he said it would piss him off if anyone ever talked shit about Axl and he would always stick up for him...he said the reason HE could talk shit about Axl was because he has known him for so long. It seems like he had his back even when they weren't talking. But again...my opinion.

Also, he can be blamed for some of that shit talking. If it wasn't for him lying about certain events, some things wouldn't have been said.

/jarmo

Jarmo, he did cause some of this.  He does care about him.  He has made a lot of mistakes.  I am sure Axl has as well.  Maybe one day they can reconcile and die with peace between them.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1302 on: November 21, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »

I'm just not 100% sure that Slash would not have hung around for the ride.
Slash quit the band.

I think it's safe to say he wasn't interested in sticking around for the ride.
I think he would have hung for the ride if Axl wasn't so impossible to work with at the time.

#7. Moreover - Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses endeavors,
as he has not been musically involved with Guns N' Roses, since April 1994
with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk Wylde and a 2 week trial (? - not sure about the word there)
period with Guns N' Roses in the fall of 95.

He (Slash) has been OFFICIALLY
and LEGALLY outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnreship since December 31, 1995

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=49389.msg1009827#msg1009827

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1303 on: November 21, 2007, 10:37:21 PM »

He mentions GN'R having a Pro Tools setup and him being ready to try it:

liveDaily Interview: Slash
December 5, 2000 03:06 PM

----

I read something about [your use of] ProTools [audio editing software] on one song, and said you couldn't even look at the computer.

Oh, yeah. I had this thing on a song called "Speed Parade" where I wanted a car sound on it. So where do you go and find a car sound? For me, it's go to the video store, pick out a Clint Eastwood movie and just loop or dub it in there somehow.

And they said, "No, they have these books of nothing but sound effects." ... So it took a while to find it, and the way they applied it was using ProTools. Once I saw that I would just sit behind the computer, I couldn't stand to look at it. It was just so f---ing tedious. That was my first--and pretty much last--introduction to ProTools. [laughs]

Slash in his book on page 386:

"There were rows and rows of Pro Tools servers and gear. Which was a clear indication that Axl and I had very different ideas of how to do this record. I was open to using Pro Tools, to trying new things - but everyone had to be on the same page and in the same room to explore new ideas. The band managed to do a little bit of jamming and come up with some things. A couple of ideas I had come up with Axl apparently liked and they were recorded onto Pro Tools and stored for him to work on later."

So what was his first experience with Pro Tools?

His ideas were recorded using Pro Tools in the mid-90s, but his first experience came in 1999 with Snakepit, he hated it but he still uses it.

Technology 1 - 0 Slash  Wink

I think his issue with Pro Tools is the same as many other people when they were told they had to use computer. "What for? The typewriter works fine!".

Some people are curious and want to experiment, others are more comfortable doing things the same way as they've always been done.

Based on several things, I think Slash seems to be the latter.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1304 on: November 21, 2007, 10:37:38 PM »

He says towards the end about how he kept a journal for a while, but then a load of them got stolen, or words to that effect.? So he stopped.?

/jarmo

I agree, he can be blamed for some of the shit talking. ?But, perhaps for a different reason. ?He even admitted that he vented to the press about the GN'R breakup and that he had nothing but negative things to say about Axl. ?Axl wasn't talking much for years, and Slash went on and on slamming him left and right. ?He helped to perpetuate all the shit talking about Axl, or at least make it much more prevalent, by talking shit about him in the press for years.

Ali
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:39:27 PM by Ali » Logged
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1305 on: November 21, 2007, 10:54:34 PM »

Re: the pro tools thing ...

I think what he was getting at in the book was that Axl played with the Pro tools stuff ... they did their thing, it was recorded down with Pro Tools ... and then Axl would fuck with it.  I would hedge a bet that Slash never went near the computer back then.

Then in Snakepit, I'm thinking, you'll probably find that he WAS involved because he had to be.  It was his project entirely.  Whereas GnR was Axl's thing when it came to fucking around later on with stuff.

I get that from those quotes.

Regarding pro tools ... I know it's off topic ... but damn, I hate it.  It's the most unintuitive system ever.  Cubase is much better Smiley hehe.

Smiley x

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #1306 on: November 21, 2007, 11:23:16 PM »

I think what he was getting at in the book was that Axl played with the Pro tools stuff ... they did their thing, it was recorded down with Pro Tools ... and then Axl would fuck with it.? I would hedge a bet that Slash never went near the computer back then.

Then in Snakepit, I'm thinking, you'll probably find that he WAS involved because he had to be.? It was his project entirely.? Whereas GnR was Axl's thing when it came to fucking around later on with stuff.

I get that from those quotes.

Regarding pro tools ... I know it's off topic ... but damn, I hate it.? It's the most unintuitive system ever.? Cubase is much better Smiley hehe.

Smiley x

According to Slash.... Towards the end of old Gn'R it wasn't collaborative anymore, it became AXL'S BAND and the other band members opinions didn't matter and weren't even asked. Plus, Slash was/is so old school-bare bones rock n' roll, so all of this only added to the tension. It seems as if Axl would have communicated even a little with the guys, slash would have been more open to pro-tools and the industrial thing, etc.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1307 on: November 21, 2007, 11:26:52 PM »

I think what he was getting at in the book was that Axl played with the Pro tools stuff ... they did their thing, it was recorded down with Pro Tools ... and then Axl would fuck with it.  I would hedge a bet that Slash never went near the computer back then.

I don't doubt that at all.

But it just reminds of all those people who didn't understand why they had to use PCs like ten years ago.

Nobody questions it today.  hihi

Just like with adding a keyboard player, I guess he didn't think it was for GN'R.

I think people just assume things. They hear Pro Tools and assume the album must sound a certain way. So they ight be against it without even knowing that it can be used for many things. Like recording.

/jarmo

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1308 on: November 21, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »

Regarding pro tools ... I know it's off topic ... but damn, I hate it.  It's the most unintuitive system ever.  Cubase is much better Smiley hehe.

I also know it's off topic, but.. Seriously?

I can understand not liking ProTools, some people don't but your choice is Cubase?!

That's like the joke fo the recording world.
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1309 on: November 21, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

I also know it's off topic, but.. Seriously?

I can understand not liking ProTools, some people don't but your choice is Cubase?!

That's like the joke fo the recording world.

No it's not ....

Cubase is user friendly, fast, reliable (in 9 years I have never had it crash ONCE)... ASIO, the standard developed by Steinberg is a VERY VERY popular standard... Hanz Zimmer uses Cubase!!!

http://steinberg.net/1118_1.html < And no offence, but the music world, if it thinks this is a joke, is a bunch of fools. Smiley  Protools is SO overrated.  It's no better than Cubase and harder to use...

Ok, back on topic... Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1310 on: November 21, 2007, 11:36:32 PM »

You find protools hard to use?

At least go the sensible step to Logic..
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1311 on: November 21, 2007, 11:46:55 PM »

The beauty of pro tools is that you can take average musicians and make them sound great.  Back in the old days, it was much harder to fake stuff.  I think it has many pluses, but maybe it waters down some music a little bit?  Anyone see my point?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1312 on: November 21, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »

The beauty of pro tools is that you can take average musicians and make them sound great.  Back in the old days, it was much harder to fake stuff.  I think it has many pluses, but maybe it waters down some music a little bit?  Anyone see my point?

You can't blame the 80s hair metal scene on Pro Tools! Many of them were pretty good at faking it. hihi

Yeah, people associate it with all that, but just because you use the software doesn't mean you have to do all that.

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1313 on: November 21, 2007, 11:56:33 PM »

The beauty of pro tools is that you can take average musicians and make them sound great.? Back in the old days, it was much harder to fake stuff.? I think it has many pluses, but maybe it waters down some music a little bit?? Anyone see my point?

You can't blame the 80s hair metal scene on Pro Tools! Many of them were pretty good at faking it. hihi

Yeah, people associate it with all that, but just because you use the software doesn't mean you have to do all that.

/jarmo

In the 80's a lot of guitar solos by shitty players sound great cause they didn't actually record them.  Lots of session players or "ghosts" would play for famous players with out them knowing to cover up their mistakes.  Steve Lukather is one of those players.  Here is his bio.  Think Motley Crue and Poison.  Good chance a killer solo may had been done by Steve or a guy like Steve. 

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/bios/Luke.shtml
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1314 on: November 22, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »

Jarmo, I think you were asking about a reference to diaries in Slash's book.  On page 215 he states:

"My only tangible connection into the past outside of my memories are the meticulous day planners I've maintained for most of my life - until I gave up on them after having too many stolen or lost.  But I have saved all of those that survived and a few have come in pretty handy when ugly legal situations or something like this book have popped up and I've needed to recall specifics.  It was how I kept track of my life and I did note every significant event.  That said, unfortunately, this tour with Motley is a black hole because, for the first time in my life, someone stole that day planner, along with all of the very few clothes I had with me on tour."

He doesn't specify exactly what day planners survived to help him write this book, but considering his summary of the Motley tour is only two pages long, most of it about his drinking story with Nikki Sixx, I give him the benefit of the doubt that many of the specifics in other parts of the book are from his day planners. 

And to accuse a rock star of being image conscience is like accusing a fish of being wet.  Seems to me to be par for the course.  I wonder why a certain someone doesn't wear sports jerseys anymore?

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1315 on: November 22, 2007, 12:35:18 AM »

Jarmo, I think you were asking about a reference to diaries in Slash's book.  On page 215 he states:

"My only tangible connection into the past outside of my memories are the meticulous day planners I've maintained for most of my life - until I gave up on them after having too many stolen or lost.  But I have saved all of those that survived and a few have come in pretty handy when ugly legal situations or something like this book have popped up and I've needed to recall specifics.  It was how I kept track of my life and I did note every significant event.  That said, unfortunately, this tour with Motley is a black hole because, for the first time in my life, someone stole that day planner, along with all of the very few clothes I had with me on tour."

Whew!  I thought I was going crazy for while Smiley lol

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1316 on: November 22, 2007, 12:56:12 AM »

He doesn't specify exactly what day planners survived to help him write this book, but considering his summary of the Motley tour is only two pages long, most of it about his drinking story with Nikki Sixx, I give him the benefit of the doubt that many of the specifics in other parts of the book are from his day planners. 

Ok, thanks.

I guess I got confused because he didn't use the word "diary".

I don't know what exactly his day planners included but since he claims they were meticulous and he noted every significant event in them, I just wonder where the errors came from....

But I guess those are from his memory?

And to accuse a rock star of being image conscience is like accusing a fish of being wet.  Seems to me to be par for the course.  I wonder why a certain someone doesn't wear sports jerseys anymore?

Haha, you just have to make it about Axl. That's the usual response you can always count on from some of you. How "objective" of you.  ok

I wasn't talking about the kind of image you associate with the clothes you wear. I thought it was obvious.

It's about the things you say.

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

« Reply #1317 on: November 22, 2007, 02:54:50 AM »

But I guess those are from his memory?

Yeah, it is questionable as to what is exactly from documented notations and what is from distant memories.? Obviously some things are going to stick out in his memory, like his drinking story with Nikki Sixx.? Then there's other times where one has to wonder how he was able to remember certain nights the next morning.? Dates are something that should have been shored up by the editing/publishing company.? I use to have professors that got numerous dates wrong in their lectures, but the bigger issue was what they were talking about.? Then again, if I were Slash and I wanted to get the record straight, I would think I'd want to get all my dates right.? I don't fault Slash for having dates wrong, I find fault in that no effort was made to correct such simple mistakes.

Haha, you just have to make it about Axl. That's the usual response you can always count on from some of you. How "objective" of you.? ok

I wasn't talking about the kind of image you associate with the clothes you wear. I thought it was obvious.

It's about the things you say.

/jarmo

I know, it's a guilty pleasure I enjoy, trying to be objective so I remain in the realm of the rational.? ?I can tolerate enthusiasm until it touches upon irrational discourse.?

And you know me Jarmo, whenever I can throw an Axl reference into our discussions to get you going, I have to admit, that's another guilty pleasure of mine.

I will concede that I do think that Slash is much more conscience over what he says.? No arguments there.? Mind you, if you can please explain Axl's MTV press release about the song "Oh My God," I'd greatly appreciate it.?

Cheers,

Andrew
You think Slash is much more conscience of what he says?

Wow.  I have no idea where you get that from, but to each his own.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1318 on: November 22, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »

I know, it's a guilty pleasure I enjoy, trying to be objective so I remain in the realm of the rational.   I can tolerate enthusiasm until it touches upon irrational discourse. 

And you know me Jarmo, whenever I can throw an Axl reference into our discussions to get you going, I have to admit, that's another guilty pleasure of mine.

It's kinda funny that you're so "objective", but I've yet to see you make any "constructive criticism" about VR on this site.

You must be one happy content VR fan.

But yet you feel the need to try to make "funny" remarks about Axl as soon as somebody (like me) points out something about Slash.

Wow.  I have no idea where you get that from, but to each his own.

Ali

I think (my personal opinion) is that he knows that by saying stuff like "I support Axl", people will think "what a nice guy!".

So the image of him being this nice guy in a top hat who smokes and plays guitar lives on.

On the other hand, he does things that make people call Axl a liar....

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:45:08 AM by jarmo » Logged

Ali
Legend

« Reply #1319 on: November 22, 2007, 02:36:36 PM »

I know, it's a guilty pleasure I enjoy, trying to be objective so I remain in the realm of the rational.? ?I can tolerate enthusiasm until it touches upon irrational discourse.?

It's kinda funny that you're so "objective", but I've yet to see you make any "constructive criticism" about VR on this site.

You must be one happy content VR fan.

But yet you feel the need to try to "funny" remarks about Axl as soon as somebody (like me) points out something about Slash.

Wow.? I have no idea where you get that from, but to each his own.

Ali

I think (my personal opinion) is that he knows that by saying stuff like "I support Axl", people will think "what a nice guy!".

So the image of him being this nice guy in a top hat who smokes and plays guitar lives on.

On the other hand, he does things that make people call Axl a liar....

/jarmo

Interesting point there, Jarmo.  In that sense, perhaps he would be more conscience of what he says Smiley

But, the "I've always been supportive of Axl" thing was another line of complete shit.  You don't vent to the press for years on end about the guy and then get to say that you've always been supportive of him.  That is a complete contradiction.

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: