Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 09:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228157 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Slash autobiography thread
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Slash autobiography thread  (Read 212922 times)
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #1260 on: November 21, 2007, 04:06:38 AM »

Furthermore, logic doesn't dictate that Axl's biography would be better concerning Guns N' Roses than Slash's account. Just because he was there a bit before Slash doesn't automatically give Axl the final word. It would simply be his account; his view of how things went down.
Yes Axl was there for a while before Slash, but he's also been there 12 years longer since Slash left. The GnR story hasn't stopped just because Slash left. Therefore its common sense that Axl's biography would be a better look at the GnR story as hes really the only guy who has been with GnR from day number one.

W R O N G !!!

GNR was a dream, from two palls from Indiana, one vision  and the hungry to get the fuck out from that smal city and make a Rock n Roll band.

Izzy was there from day one, with AXL they persuit  the dream.
Izzy and AXL are the roots of Guns N Roses you can't forget that. ok

Ps Andrew good read.

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #1261 on: November 21, 2007, 08:10:20 AM »

Ali - Axl is mentally unstable. I wouldn't take any book he wrote as being reliable.

And you know this because?

Having bipolar disorder?? Again, that is an emotional/mood disorder, not a mental one.? It does not affect memory and because it is a mood disorder, not a mental one, there is logical basis to think that it affects truthfulness.

If that isn't enough for you, bear in mind Slash's self-proclaimed best friend said that you always get the truth from Axl.

Ali

I'm sure you're missing a "not" there, because I seem to agree with you. Yes, it is a mood disorder, and so the story he would give would depend on what mood he was in.
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #1262 on: November 21, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »

The errors you're pointing out are insignificant. How you can let something as insignificant as the exact date they started playing/rehearsing with a backing band, and a few other errors of a similiar ilk, spoil your enjoyment of the book is beyond me. It's a bit sad actually. Its a good book, enjoy it for what it is; instead of pointing out every little irrelevant mistake.

This is the problem with you people.

I didn't say it spoiled any enjoyment.

But as you read the book and time after time there's factual errors that I know of, it really makes you start feeling like they should've done at least some fact checking.

It also makes you wonder how accurate it is as a whole.

The guy even manages to get his birth place wrong. So I'm reading and he says "I was born in Stoke-on-Trent" and I think to myself "I thought it was Hampstead".....

You keep reading and things like that pop up all the time.

If something took away from the reading enjoyment, it would be all the "we'll get to that later" phrases.? Wink

Why is it a good book in your opinion?

/jarmo

I'm abaut 1/3 through the book and I can't put the thing down.  It's really the first book that I actually sat down and read as I'm not really into reading (probably 1 book every 2-3 years, if that).  I feel like i'm really getting a behind the scenes look into my favorite band.  I'm really enjoying some of the stories about the inner workings of the band i.e. how they came up with the lyrics to Nightrain.  I think I'm enjoying the book because i'm reading it as if it's one man's opinion of how things happened, not exactly how things happened - i'm taking everything knowing that it's bias.  I bet some of the stories would sound or come across alot different from Izzy's or Axl's point of view.

I will admit, and agree with Jarmo that it is distracting to keep reading the "i'll get into that later".

Anyway - i'm looking forward to reading the rest.

-illusionone

Wake up. . . .time to die
williambailey
Rocker

"Axl is just another version of the Ayatollah"

« Reply #1263 on: November 21, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »

I am referring to him stating that he would've hung in through an industrial record with Axl. ?He says he isn't close-minded and his flexibility is what allowed him to stay in the band as long as he did. ?Jarmo made a post illustrating all the various times he said he didn't like the direction the band was going in musically. ?That's enough for me to completely undermine the credibility of his statement that he would've hung in through an industrial record. ?But, if you look further at what he said in the book, he says that he was vehemently opposed to adding Dizzy Reed because he thought a keyboardist would dilute the band's sound while Axl felt that was an important step in the band's sonic evolution. ?He didn't even want the synth line in "Paradise City". ?If he was so vehemently opposed to adding a keyboardist that merely accompanied the band's sound without changing it, how plausible is it that he would be interested in a shift to having more elaborate keyboard accompaniment with multiple keyboards sequenced and linked through computers, thus making the keyboards more and more the focus of the band's sound? ?Take into consideration the lack of stylistic diversity in his body of work before considering that question, then answer it.

Ali

It's with trepidation that I enter this thread as I feel I might be on a hiding to nothing, but here goes....

Doesn't part of your own argument somewhat disprove the point you are making, depending upon how you choose to interpret the events and Slash's comments?

You  mention that Slash was vehmently opposed to adding Dizzy because a keyboardist would dilute the bands sound.  However, despite that, Slash didn't leave the band, he stayed, they made the Illusions with Dizzy, it was successful .  I dare say Slash may have even looked back on it with hindsight and saw Dizzy's addition as being the correct decision despite his inital reluctance.  I mean he can't really argue with the success of the Illusion albums - at least commercially anyhow.

Therefore, is it so implausible that he had the same misgiving about an industrial record, but would have stuck at it despite this view, just in case he was wrong again and wasn't visionary enough to see the merit???  As in the same situation play out as occured with Illusions and Dizzy's inclusion.

Sure, if his attidue was I don't wanna do an industrial record I am sure it wasn't a bed of roses to be around him and try and work with him with such an opposing view. 

I am just offering the suggestion that the example you used of Dizzy, to say Slash would never have stuck it out for an industrial record - could actually be used as an example of how he just might have.

Just a thought... it all depends upon your point of view I suppose and therefore how you choose to interpret what Slash says and his previous actions etc.  I might also add that personally I'm undecided either way whether he would or wouldn't have stayed - I actually don't know, but thought I would offer another persepctive.
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1264 on: November 21, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

That 'bipolar' comment was uncalled for. I think that if Axl were to put out a biography it wouldn't be any more or less reliable than Slash's It would be Axl's own view on things, just like it is now with Slash's book. It would however give a bigger view on what really went down with GNR, because Axl never really talked about what happened exactly

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1265 on: November 21, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »

Ali - Axl is mentally unstable. I wouldn't take any book he wrote as being reliable.

Having bipolar disorder?? Again, that is an emotional/mood disorder, not a mental one.? It does not affect memory and because it is a mood disorder, not a mental one, there is no logical basis to think that it affects truthfulness.

If that isn't enough for you, bear in mind Slash's self-proclaimed best friend said that you always get the truth from Axl.

Ali

I'm sure you're missing a "not" there, because I seem to agree with you. Yes, it is a mood disorder, and so the story he would give would depend on what mood he was in.

I meant there was no logical basis to think that it affects truthfulness.? Let me reiterate as you seem to not have a grasp on what a mood disorder is.? It has no bearing on memory or truthfulness.

Again, mood disorders do not result in psychosis, which is a break from reality.? I have researched this and there is no undisputed evidence that mood disorders like bipolar disorder affect cognitive abilities.

Most importantly, none of us know exactly when Axl was and was not on his lithium.? If he was on his lithium, this fucking bullshit about him having bipolar disorder would be rendered a non-issue as it should be.

Ali
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:59:42 AM by Ali » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1266 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

I have not read the book but have heard about the story he tells about Izzy and himself in bed with a girl and what Izzy does on his leg.

In this interview, he says that Izzy heard him tell the story on Howard Stern and Izzy does not remember this happening? Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOIpdGB1qvU

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1267 on: November 21, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »

I am referring to him stating that he would've hung in through an industrial record with Axl. ?He says he isn't close-minded and his flexibility is what allowed him to stay in the band as long as he did. ?Jarmo made a post illustrating all the various times he said he didn't like the direction the band was going in musically. ?That's enough for me to completely undermine the credibility of his statement that he would've hung in through an industrial record. ?But, if you look further at what he said in the book, he says that he was vehemently opposed to adding Dizzy Reed because he thought a keyboardist would dilute the band's sound while Axl felt that was an important step in the band's sonic evolution. ?He didn't even want the synth line in "Paradise City". ?If he was so vehemently opposed to adding a keyboardist that merely accompanied the band's sound without changing it, how plausible is it that he would be interested in a shift to having more elaborate keyboard accompaniment with multiple keyboards sequenced and linked through computers, thus making the keyboards more and more the focus of the band's sound? ?Take into consideration the lack of stylistic diversity in his body of work before considering that question, then answer it.

Ali

It's with trepidation that I enter this thread as I feel I might be on a hiding to nothing, but here goes....

Doesn't part of your own argument somewhat disprove the point you are making, depending upon how you choose to interpret the events and Slash's comments?

You? mention that Slash was vehmently opposed to adding Dizzy because a keyboardist would dilute the bands sound.? However, despite that, Slash didn't leave the band, he stayed, they made the Illusions with Dizzy, it was successful .? I dare say Slash may have even looked back on it with hindsight and saw Dizzy's addition as being the correct decision despite his inital reluctance.? I mean he can't really argue with the success of the Illusion albums - at least commercially anyhow.

Therefore, is it so implausible that he had the same misgiving about an industrial record, but would have stuck at it despite this view, just in case he was wrong again and wasn't visionary enough to see the merit?Huh As in the same situation play out as occured with Illusions and Dizzy's inclusion.

Sure, if his attidue was I don't wanna do an industrial record I am sure it wasn't a bed of roses to be around him and try and work with him with such an opposing view.?

I am just offering the suggestion that the example you used of Dizzy, to say Slash would never have stuck it out for an industrial record - could actually be used as an example of how he just might have.

Just a thought... it all depends upon your point of view I suppose and therefore how you choose to interpret what Slash says and his previous actions etc.? I might also add that personally I'm undecided either way whether he would or wouldn't have stayed - I actually don't know, but thought I would offer another persepctive.

The problem with what you're saying is exactly what I closed my argument with: ?look at his body of work and the lack of stylistic diversity in it before considering that argument. ?The addition of a keyboardist didn't change the band's sound from blues-based rock. ?It added a dimension to it. ?An industrial record would be a COMPLETE stylistic shift to a type of music where keyboards/synthesizers are much more dominant and guitars are less dominant. ?

The combination of the lack of stylistic diversity in Slash's body of work and his admitted vehement opposition to keyboard accompaniment to the band's songs leads me to not believe his statement that he would've hung in through an industrial record.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1268 on: November 21, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

And your basis for saying Slash is lying (you and the rest of the Axl freaks) is based on the fact that he didn't say certain things in his book, or that there's an obvious typo here and there. 

No the basis of my opinion on the book is based on reading it, knowing his state at the time when all that happened AND the fact that he's not been honest.

You just ignore the fact that the guy was caught lying. To you it's not important and you probably think it was a one time occasion. I disagree.

You don't even seem to manage to answer questions....

Constructive criticism and being objective are different than arbitrary whining and slander.  Might I suggest you google the word "objective." 

Objective?

Why do you think we have to be objective? Where exactly did we claim we're objective?

Some of you seem to think that you have to act this way in order to fit in.

It's like you go to a show and you have to make sure not to have too much fun! Because people might think you're not objective and you're a fan boy/ass kisser! Oh the horror!

There's a difference between pointing out faulty arguments or inaccurate dates in Slash's book and being overtly critical to the point where the entire thread is hijacked into proof that "Slash sucks."  Most of what interested me in the book had little or nothing to do with Guns N' Roses.  His stories of growing up in LA, having David Bowie as father figure, being a kleptomaniac, all of which i found more captivating than the numerous drug episodes or spats with Axl. 

Oh really. So I'm not allowed to point out the errors just because I'm not a Slash fan?

Isn't that what this is about?

You all know the errors are there, you all know that it's a fact.

As I said, I didn't dive into the book as someone who just wants to read about sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

But I suppose because his wedding date is wrong that the whole book should be cast aside.

There you go again making statements which aren't anywhere close to what I have said.

I guess you missed the fact that I said it's not just the errors in it?

This thread was suppose to be about factual inaccuracies.  That's all fine and good.  But you invite an enormous amount of scorn and reticule when you insinuate capriciously malicious remarks that go above and beyond what's called for in this thread. 

Maybe it's because I can back things up by facts and actually describe why I think what I think about the book?

When the replies basically range from "Slash! Cool! Dude, rock n' roll" to "Axl sucks! You hate Slash", then you can tell people aren't interested in discussing.

Furthermore, logic doesn't dictate that Axl's biography would be better concerning Guns N' Roses than Slash's account.  Just because he was there a bit before Slash doesn't automatically give Axl the final word.  It would simply be his account; his view of how things went down.  I'm sure my younger brother has a different account of our parents, but is mine more correct because I'm a few years older?  We both are different people, having different upbringings. and hence will have different versions of how things came to be.   

Great analogy.

You forgot to add: Your brother left home and he still hasn't talked to you since. Plus he's the kind of guy who hardly remembers what happened back then and he's not exactly been honest.

You on the other hand never had those "problems".

Answer me this: you don't think Slash is a perfect human being, but is Axl?  Of course not.  So why such disdain for one and love for the other.  Both were instrumental in getting GNR to become the greatest rock bands in the last 25 years.  It was Slash who wrote the opening riff for Jungle and it was Axl that remembered how great it was and brought back the idea and help making it into a monster of a song.  Both deserve credit.

Why is this about Axl? Nobody's perfect.

I never said anything to discredit Slash's input in GN'R's music. You have to start to remember that.

What has been worth being positve or supportive about?  Since the tour ended in July, and little to no updates, why should fans be supportive. 

If you have to ask that, then you don't understand this place at all.

Just because you don't get news every other week or updates doesn't mean you have to stop believing that it'll be out.

I guess you're one of those people who needs to be reassured time after time?

You can still be a fan and find fault in your idols.

As I said, we're not here to find faults about GN'R. In fact, I don't like discussions about personal stuff.

Now you say, but you do about Slash! Well he wrote a book about it among others things......

If I wanna read about how much GN'R sucks or how the members are assholes, I don't go to a GN'R fan site.

When will you understand that?

Not too many years ago, GN'R was the "uncoolest" thing. Imagine loving the band, finding a fan site with other fans only to find out they're just pointing out the same reasons to why GN'R sucks as everybody else is.

Oh, and weren't you just sort of upset that I pointed out faults about Slash and his book?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1269 on: November 21, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »

....?An industrial record would be a COMPLETE stylistic shift to a type of music where keyboards/synthesizers are much more dominant and guitars are less dominant....

Ali

when considering "Oh My God" being part of the result of the industrial direction they've wanted to go with GN'R then you're wrong here, exspecially with guitars.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1270 on: November 21, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »

....?An industrial record would be a COMPLETE stylistic shift to a type of music where keyboards/synthesizers are much more dominant and guitars are less dominant....

Ali

when considering "Oh My God" being part of the result of the industrial direction they've wanted to go with GN'R then you're wrong here, exspecially with guitars.

No sir, not wrong.  I was speaking of industrial music in general for one thing.  Second, you can't deny that the synthesizers are much more dominant in "Oh My God" than in the older GN'R material.  The synthesizers are much more dominant to the point of blurring over the guitars.

Ali
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1271 on: November 21, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »

Furthermore, logic doesn't dictate that Axl's biography would be better concerning Guns N' Roses than Slash's account. Just because he was there a bit before Slash doesn't automatically give Axl the final word. It would simply be his account; his view of how things went down.
Yes Axl was there for a while before Slash, but he's also been there 12 years longer since Slash left. The GnR story hasn't stopped just because Slash left. Therefore its common sense that Axl's biography would be a better look at the GnR story as hes really the only guy who has been with GnR from day number one.

W R O N G !!!

GNR was a dream, from two palls from Indiana, one vision  and the hungry to get the fuck out from that smal city and make a Rock n Roll band.

Izzy was there from day one, with AXL they persuit  the dream.
Izzy and AXL are the roots of Guns N Roses you can't forget that. ok

Ps Andrew good read.

I agree Izzy and Axl are the roots of Guns N' Roses, but Izzy quit in 1991, so his story wouldn't exactly be the complete GNR story either.

Could Slash comment on how the 2006 tour went?   Could Izzy talk about what it was like to be in GnR in 1999?
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #1272 on: November 21, 2007, 12:17:08 PM »

Having bipolar disorder?? Again, that is an emotional/mood disorder, not a mental one.? It does not affect memory and because it is a mood disorder, not a mental one, there is no logical basis to think that it affects truthfulness.

Ali

I meant there was no logical basis to think that it affects truthfulness.? Let me reiterate as you seem to not have a grasp on what a mood disorder is.? It has no bearing on memory or truthfulness.

Again, mood disorders do not result in psychosis, which is a break from reality.? I have researched this and there is no undisputed evidence that mood disorders like bipolar disorder affect cognitive abilities.

Most importantly, none of us know exactly when Axl was and was not on his lithium.? If he was on his lithium, this fucking bullshit about him having bipolar disorder would be rendered a non-issue as it should be.

Ali

Thanks for the condescending remark Ali. If you think someone prone to irrational behaviour would make a reliable source, then good for you.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1273 on: November 21, 2007, 12:24:34 PM »

Ali

Ali

Thanks for the condescending remark Ali. If you think someone prone to irrational behaviour would make a reliable source, then good for you.

My apologies, sir.  But your blatant misrepresentation of bipolar disorder angered me and I will not let that misrepresentation go uncorrected.

Having a temper, or even being a primadonna, does not in any equate to dishonesty or having psychosis or psychotic episodes, where you break from reality.

If that isn't enough for you, then let me close this insulting discussion on someone's mental health and it's relation, truthfully the lack of relation, to honesty with this:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=49668.msg1011167#msg1011167

"I have known Axl very well for 23 years and Slash for 31 years and one thing for sure, Axl does not lie. You will always get the truth form Axl."

Ali
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:30:01 PM by Ali » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1274 on: November 21, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

You know Ali, it doesn't matter if people who know Axl personally say he's honest. These people know him better, they've read about him!

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1275 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »

You know Ali, it doesn't matter if people who know Axl personally say he's honest. These people know him better, they've read about him!

hihi

/jarmo

Yeah, you are unfortunately right.  The way I see it, someone who has known Axl well for 23 years should have a much more definitive word on the man's reliability than any media report or media-fueled perception of the man.

Bringing his mental and emotional health into the discussion was an absolutely unfair cheap shot.  Also, it is a bullshit point to bring into the discussion when you have no idea if he wasn't managing the bipolar disorder with lithium.

Ali
elmir
VIP

« Reply #1276 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:14 PM »

Ali and JB....good discussion manners, props to you for not stooping down to personal insults and general bashing when it comes to a sensitive topic like that....it was a good read...if i could give you karma points, i would. ok

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1277 on: November 21, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »

The Pulse of Radio reports that VELVET REVOLVER and former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash said backstage at the American Music Awards on Sunday night (November 18) that there had been "some interest" from Hollywood in a film version of his recently published autobiography, but that he hadn't "really looked into it." Slash told The Pulse of Radio that he'd be open to the idea, but not without some restrictions. "The one thing I wouldn't have them do or allow them to do would be to actually do the book with the characters in it, the way that they are in real life as far as who they are," he said. "You know, if you wanted to take the story and make up some people (laughs) and change the names and all that kind of stuff, and make everybody fictional, it could be interesting. But if you were gonna try and go, 'Okay, this is Slash and this is Axl (Rose) and this is Slash's mom, and this character's gonna play Scott (Weiland),' no, I wouldn't allow it."

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #1278 on: November 21, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »

What remarkable restraint.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1279 on: November 21, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »

SLASH Announces Illinois Book Signing; New Video Interview Posted Online - Nov. 21, 2007

VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash will sign copies of his self-titled memoir, "Slash", at Borders in Oak Brook, Illinois on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 7:30 p.m.

Slash will be signing copies of the book only; memorabilia and other items will not be signed.

Fans interested in attending should contact Borders at (630) 574-0800 for complete event details and guidelines.

Borders is located at:

1500 16th Street
Oak Brook, IL 60523

In other news, Slash was a guest on MuchMusic's "Much On Demand" on Monday, November 19. Watch the interview in two parts below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOIpdGB1qvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVHJdyqC6Y

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: