Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:32:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  New Computers, these days.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Computers, these days.  (Read 5852 times)
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 03:56:47 AM »

whats your budget limit? i would prefer buying the parts separate and put it together
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 03:58:07 AM »

I went with the extreme processor QX6800 @ 3.20 Overclocked w Quad Core 8MB

want to help me overclock my cpu  Lips Sealed  Grin i have the QX6850
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »

I went with the extreme processor QX6800 @ 3.20 Overclocked w Quad Core 8MB

want to help me overclock my cpu? Lips Sealed? Grin i have the QX6850
I think you could take care of that on your own and in private.? nervous

To be honest the difference between the 2 processors was about $1000.00.? The overclocking was from the factory and not me screwing around with bios or applications.? To gain speed of 2 to 13% on some applications, it just wasn't worth the money.? In a year or so it'll be alot cheaper and probably slower than the next one being made.? It is amazing what comes out w/i weeks of each other.? ?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:00:25 AM by JMack » Logged

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »

whats your budget limit? i would prefer buying the parts separate and put it together

Well, in an ideal world... The ideal being that my knowledge of computers surpassed 'ample,' at best. If I risked that and the thing blew up, I'd be fucked because I'd have no cover. But aye... If I could, don't doubt that I would.

Anyway, I decided to go with the second one that I posted, the ?900 one. Cheers for all of your help guys, and as promised...

(Mostly because I can, and I enjoy abusing power for my own selfish ends).

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »

That one is pretty bad ass! you're gonna love it!

What do you actually plan to use the computer for? Just about everything in either of those is very nearly top of the line stuff

Oh, you know, a bit of this, bit of that... A fair amount of downloading, streaming, watching and burning videos and the like, seeing as I don't have access to the best that the television can offer right now. I haven't been into my gaming of late, being that my laptop has been having trouble just running the most basic of videos, but that will change once I have a desktop capable of letting me bash out a decent gaming session... So I want a computer that's going to be capable. Obviously I don't want a total beast of a supercomputer, hence the budget, but I want a system that's around about the current pace.

Right now I'm leaning towards this,

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=232137

so I guess that my main question now is whether I would be getting value for money?

Cheers guys.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »

Good Luck and enjoy.? Oh and thanks for the abuse of power.? beer

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »

I'd swap the graphics card for a nVidia GeForce 8800GTX, if it fits your budget (and you are a gaming guy waiting for Crysis Smiley ), but like Timothy said, everything else is pretty much top of the line and it's really unnecessary (4GB RAM?) unless you're a serious gamer or a professional designer.
I love my 8800gtx, best card I've ever owned.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »

Well, in an ideal world... The ideal being that my knowledge of computers surpassed 'ample,' at best. If I risked that and the thing blew up, I'd be fucked because I'd have no cover. But aye... If I could, don't doubt that I would.

Anyway, I decided to go with the second one that I posted, the ?900 one. Cheers for all of your help guys, and as promised...

(Mostly because I can, and I enjoy abusing power for my own selfish ends).

Putting one together really isn't that hard. Me and my dad did it and we never done it before. The part to be most careful with is the processor. I don't know about intel but the newer amd's have the heat spreaders so damaging the chip isn't that easy to do anymore. One important thing to remember, when mounting the motherboard in the case DO NOT forget the motherobard rises. If you screw the board in directly to the back of  the case you'll fry the board.
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »

where one is running a program with XP, another with Vista, both with 2 gig of RAM. The Vista machine crashes constantly. He says that to be safe with Vista you need that 4 Gig, which is just fucking ridiculous for an operating system.

He's also lying through his fucking teeth.  Sorry man, but I'm a professional designer who works with some SERIOUSLY heavy graphics .... and Vista is solid as a rock.  Nothing has been a problem.  I used XP for a few years, and I've been using Vista for many many months and it's solid.

Mac owners and XP purists (who are the same people who slagged XP off when 2000 was still the geeks choice), are just taking the stories and spinning them.

Every time a new MS OS comes out, it gets the shit kicked out of it by fanboys, geeks, and media frenzy.

I love the Mac, and I had no problems with XP.  So I'm not biased.  But I like Vista.  It's solid, feature rich, and well designed.  Ignore the haters.

While I try to catch one of the onsite boys when they're actually in the office, can I ask what a designer working with heavy graphics is doing on a PC?
I deal with a lot of different companies in my job and every single one of them bar none runs their graphics department on Macs. I'm just kinda curious as to why you prefer the PC?  peace

And Spirit Dave is conspicuosly quiet ...  rofl rofl

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: