Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  New Computers, these days.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Computers, these days.  (Read 5853 times)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« on: October 27, 2007, 12:23:20 PM »

I'm looking to buy a new computer, seeing as my laptop is knackered and is struggling enough in just allowing me to write this, and I'm looking to spend somewhere in the region of ?800-?900. I thought that my knowledge of computers was passable... Just... But looking at technical components of what may or may not be my new computer I've come to the realization that, well, it's not. Processors, video cards, the like... I have no idea what a decent one is. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what I should look out for in order to get the most for my money. For example, these are the specifications of one that I came across,

#  Intel? Core? 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor(2.66GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz)
# Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium Edition
# New MESH Midi-TowerATX Case + 550W PSU
# PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
# 4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )
# 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
# LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
# 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
# 22" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display with internal speakers (DVI, 5ms)
# 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
# Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
# Free Microsoft? Works? 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
# Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
# 2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
# 1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
# Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)

But I'm not certain that it's in English. What's it like. Any good? Would I be getting value for my money! It's at the lower end of my price scale, so what aspects should I be looking to upgrade a bit? Help!

Please?

No? Okay... Right. Positive karma for anybody that does!

And negative for all eight thousand three hundred and eighty so of you that don't. Come on now.

PS:, I just came across this one on the same site. http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=232137

Good deal? Or not so much?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:58:21 PM »

I went with the extreme processor QX6800 @ 3.20 Overclocked w Quad Core 8MB, Dual 500 GB hard drives, 13 in 1 media card reader w/floppy because you never know?, windows XP instead of vista because of some programming problems.? They may have been addressed in the last 3 months though, 24 inch wide viewable screen with usb ports, data safe 20 GB, X-Fi PCI Sound Card and Ageia physX processor.? Everything else is basically the same.? The PC is set up to view television and play X-box.? I also went for the Microsoft Office Small Business because it had all the big word proccessing and powerpoint stuff.? Depending on the usage of your pc, I chose the optical mouse and the key board with usb ports and just the stuff that you will use or know what they are to be used for.? A key board is a keyboard with some extras.? I found the optical mouse lasts longer and tends to jump around less but that's my own preference.? As for the wireless I know others who don't seem to have many problems.? Go to the site just check the build and where your particular Setup is, check the choices and see if they fall in line to others available for that system you may find yours to be sufficient or you may be able to upgrade the speed, graphic and sound cards .? It sounds like it should be OK maybe a few tweaks and make sure that your able to upgrade to PC after you make the purchase.? You should still be under budget.? Good Luck

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 10:16:49 PM »

What do you actually plan to use the computer for? Just about everything in either of those is very nearly top of the line stuff
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 11:48:18 PM »

I'd swap the graphics card for a nVidia GeForce 8800GTX, if it fits your budget (and you are a gaming guy waiting for Crysis Smiley ), but like Timothy said, everything else is pretty much top of the line and it's really unnecessary (4GB RAM?) unless you're a serious gamer or a professional designer.

Fuck 'Em All.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:18:48 AM »

Yeah thats a lot of ram but with windows vista might not be such a bad idea and yeah the 8800 might not be a bad idea if he's gonna play Chrysis.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 12:27:32 AM »

FY (general) I, 32bit OSs including Linux and Vista have problems accessing the entire 4GB RAM range. If you want to use 4GB+ RAM you have to go for Vista 64-bit.

Fuck 'Em All.
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 01:10:24 AM »

Yeah thats a lot of ram but with windows vista might not be such a bad idea

rofl rofl rofl

Get a Mac dude.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Brody
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 01:16:59 AM »

Yeah thats a lot of ram but with windows vista might not be such a bad idea

rofl rofl rofl

Get a Mac dude.

I second that!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723661&node=home/shop_mac/family/imac
Chief
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:25:10 AM »

I think the system that you quoted in this message with the # bullet points is awesome, i think you will love it!

let us know what you decide to do

I'm looking to buy a new computer, seeing as my laptop is knackered and is struggling enough in just allowing me to write this, and I'm looking to spend somewhere in the region of ?800-?900. I thought that my knowledge of computers was passable... Just... But looking at technical components of what may or may not be my new computer I've come to the realization that, well, it's not. Processors, video cards, the like... I have no idea what a decent one is. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what I should look out for in order to get the most for my money. For example, these are the specifications of one that I came across,

#  Intel? Core? 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor(2.66GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz)
# Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium Edition
# New MESH Midi-TowerATX Case + 550W PSU
# PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
# 4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )
# 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
# LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
# 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
# 22" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display with internal speakers (DVI, 5ms)
# 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
# Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
# Free Microsoft? Works? 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
# Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
# 2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
# 1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
# Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)

But I'm not certain that it's in English. What's it like. Any good? Would I be getting value for my money! It's at the lower end of my price scale, so what aspects should I be looking to upgrade a bit? Help!

Please?

No? Okay... Right. Positive karma for anybody that does!

And negative for all eight thousand three hundred and eighty so of you that don't. Come on now.

PS:, I just came across this one on the same site. http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=232137

Good deal? Or not so much?

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 06:35:05 AM »

In all seriousness though, I asked a few of the boys at work today, onsite guys who go to offices like News Limited and what not and configure Mac and PC networks and they said that they have seen machines in an office where one is running a program with XP, another with Vista, both with 2 gig of RAM. The Vista machine crashes constantly. He says that to be safe with Vista you need that 4 Gig, which is just fucking ridiculous for an operating system.

My mate at work has an old Powerbook G4 (the model that has been superceded twice by now) that runs Leopard (the current operating system) with 512 RAM. Runs it good, with not fucking problems. Probably helps that you don't need no anti-virus program on a Mac too.  ok

The iMac is the machine you want man. The new models just came out a few months ago and are better and cheaper than the last generation. It's a no brainer and it's right in your price range.

PC people confuse the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:55:13 AM by The Chad Cometh » Logged

meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 08:24:18 AM »

This is a tasty machine from play.com.

Main Specifications:
Processor: Intel QuadCore Q6600 2.40GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1066MHZ FSB
Memory: 2GB XMS Pro Corsair RAM 6400 800MHz
HDD Capacity: 500GB 7200RPM
Graphics Card: nVidia 320MB 8800GTS SLi ready
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Optical Drive: 18x Speed DVD +/-RW
Card Reader: 13 in 1 Memory Card Reader
Audio: Integrated 7.1 Realtek ALC883 audio codec Audio
Power & Cooling: 550W PSU & Ice Cube Cooling Device
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce i650) motherboard
USB Ports: 6x USB 2.0

Keep em under your wheels.
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »

where one is running a program with XP, another with Vista, both with 2 gig of RAM. The Vista machine crashes constantly. He says that to be safe with Vista you need that 4 Gig, which is just fucking ridiculous for an operating system.

He's also lying through his fucking teeth.  Sorry man, but I'm a professional designer who works with some SERIOUSLY heavy graphics .... and Vista is solid as a rock.  Nothing has been a problem.  I used XP for a few years, and I've been using Vista for many many months and it's solid.

Mac owners and XP purists (who are the same people who slagged XP off when 2000 was still the geeks choice), are just taking the stories and spinning them.

Every time a new MS OS comes out, it gets the shit kicked out of it by fanboys, geeks, and media frenzy.

I love the Mac, and I had no problems with XP.  So I'm not biased.  But I like Vista.  It's solid, feature rich, and well designed.  Ignore the haters.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Brody
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »

where one is running a program with XP, another with Vista, both with 2 gig of RAM. The Vista machine crashes constantly. He says that to be safe with Vista you need that 4 Gig, which is just fucking ridiculous for an operating system.

He's also lying through his fucking teeth.? Sorry man, but I'm a professional designer who works with some SERIOUSLY heavy graphics .... and Vista is solid as a rock.? Nothing has been a problem.? I used XP for a few years, and I've been using Vista for many many months and it's solid.

Mac owners and XP purists (who are the same people who slagged XP off when 2000 was still the geeks choice), are just taking the stories and spinning them.

Every time a new MS OS comes out, it gets the shit kicked out of it by fanboys, geeks, and media frenzy.

I love the Mac, and I had no problems with XP.? So I'm not biased.? But I like Vista.? It's solid, feature rich, and well designed.? Ignore the haters.

its not just the mac fanboys hating on vista! its everyone.. theres one simple reason! its puke! I bought it ran it on the mac.. and pc.. lames!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »

What do you actually plan to use the computer for? Just about everything in either of those is very nearly top of the line stuff

Oh, you know, a bit of this, bit of that... A fair amount of downloading, streaming, watching and burning videos and the like, seeing as I don't have access to the best that the television can offer right now. I haven't been into my gaming of late, being that my laptop has been having trouble just running the most basic of videos, but that will change once I have a desktop capable of letting me bash out a decent gaming session... So I want a computer that's going to be capable. Obviously I don't want a total beast of a supercomputer, hence the budget, but I want a system that's around about the current pace.

Right now I'm leaning towards this,

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=232137

so I guess that my main question now is whether I would be getting value for money?

Cheers guys.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 03:40:54 PM »

I have a new HP running Vista Home Premium.....I haven't encountered any major problems at all, I like it much better than XP.

Axl is God.
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 03:43:30 PM »

He's also lying through his fucking teeth.  Sorry man, but I'm a professional designer who works with some SERIOUSLY heavy graphics .... and Vista is solid as a rock.  Nothing has been a problem.  I used XP for a few years, and I've been using Vista for many many months and it's solid.

I love the Mac, and I had no problems with XP.  So I'm not biased.  But I like Vista.  It's solid, feature rich, and well designed.  Ignore the haters.

its not just the mac fanboys hating on vista! its everyone.. theres one simple reason! its puke! I bought it ran it on the mac.. and pc.. lames!

You're utterly wrong ...

and if you continue this way, I wont keep backing you up in the thread about your forum! Cheesy

Wink

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Brody
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »

He's also lying through his fucking teeth.? Sorry man, but I'm a professional designer who works with some SERIOUSLY heavy graphics .... and Vista is solid as a rock.? Nothing has been a problem.? I used XP for a few years, and I've been using Vista for many many months and it's solid.

I love the Mac, and I had no problems with XP.? So I'm not biased.? But I like Vista.? It's solid, feature rich, and well designed.? Ignore the haters.

You're utterly wrong ...

and if you continue this way, I wont keep backing you up in the thread about your forum! Cheesy

Wink

Well if you dont back me I'll just steal your myspace page and make it my own!

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=3339496F&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook

Wink
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 08:29:50 PM »

Oh, you know, a bit of this, bit of that... A fair amount of downloading, streaming, watching and burning videos and the like, seeing as I don't have access to the best that the television can offer right now. I haven't been into my gaming of late, being that my laptop has been having trouble just running the most basic of videos, but that will change once I have a desktop capable of letting me bash out a decent gaming session... So I want a computer that's going to be capable. Obviously I don't want a total beast of a supercomputer, hence the budget, but I want a system that's around about the current pace.

Right now I'm leaning towards this,

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=232137

so I guess that my main question now is whether I would be getting value for money?

Cheers guys.

That would be more then ideal for what you plan on doing with it. If you were more of a gamer i would like someone else said go with the 8800 but since you aren't much into gaming the 8600 will be more then enough. You will love that widescreen lcd and the soundsystem that thing has too.
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »

While I try to catch one of the onsite boys when they're actually in the office, can I ask what a designer working with heavy graphics is doing on a PC?
I deal with a lot of different companies in my job and every single one of them bar none runs their graphics department on Macs. I'm just kinda curious as to why you prefer the PC?  peace

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: