Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 02:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228114 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Why did "Libertad" flop?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did "Libertad" flop?  (Read 30986 times)
Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »

Libertad is a better album than Contraband, but there was a lot less interest this time from both fans and critics. It probably didn't help that it was badly promoted and that most mainstream critics weren't even sent a copy of the album to review.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »

it flopped because it was shit.

html sucks
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2007, 05:20:17 AM »

why is the sky blue? beer

Chinese Democracy!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »

Contraband sold largely on the hype of the other two bands.  The record label played up the "Guns N' Roses + Stone Temple Pilots" angle as much as they possibly could.  And the fact is Contraband didn't really sound THAT much like GnR or STP although it was closer to STP than Guns, and it was a good album but it didn't come close to the best of either of those groups

Probably 80-90% of the people that bought Contraband bought it strictly based on hype and because they were a fan of GnR and/or STP.  With Libertad, Velvet Revolver could no longer milk the GnR and STP franchise names.  They had to sell records based upon their music and their merits as the band Velvet Revolver.  And people just weren't that interested.  The fact is that Contraband, although a lot of people enjoyed it, overall received a pretty lukewarm reception.  A lot of people who were initially interested in VR are/were GnR fans, and I don't think making a softer, poppier, more commercial album like Libertad was exactly the brightest move when it came to winning over GnR fans who were on the fence after Contraband.  A lot of the people interested in VR were expecting GnR style riffs with the biggest difference being Scott Weiland singing instead of Axl.  What happened with Libertad is that these "on the fence" fans heard an album that didn't sound anything like GnR and in my and many others opinions sounded like several really good songs scattered amongts a bunch of STP B-sides.  Libertad lacked the homerun singles of Contraband and it also was not nearly as appealing to most GnR fans as Contraband was
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:58:59 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »

You know, I don't know if how good it was matters....  Its not "radio" music, and real music doesn't sell great.  Look at BLS, its kick ass, but doesn't sell shit.  I don't get it.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2007, 12:56:54 AM »

You know, I don't know if how good it was matters....? Its not "radio" music, and real music doesn't sell great.? Look at BLS, its kick ass, but doesn't sell shit.? I don't get it.

BLS used to kick ass when Zakk started it up......then it got really boring and repetative to me.  BLS was soooo fucking raw in it's original settings, actually used to be my favorite band from Sonic Brew up until 1919 Eternal, but after that it just lost that edge and become more watered down in the sense.  I couldn't even fathom the Blessed Hellride or anything else after that and if anything it got more radio friendly.

Libertad was full of radio friendly songs......the problem was they picked the one with the simple formula and went with it.  By the time that single had run it's course, the album lost steam.  Mary Mary and Let It Roll and even American Man are all very radio friendly songs that would survive for a bit on the charts, but not cause any serious stir.  VR just hasn't been able to come up with that one song that sticks....that's memorable, from Libertad.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
elmir
VIP

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2007, 03:05:29 AM »

can i remind you that Appetite only sold 200.000 after being out on the market for roughly as long as Libertad has.....and before some smartass starts comparing the two....i know they're nowhere near related....my point is that Libertad is still a new album, and even though they've made some mistakes with regards to promotion and singles choice, there is still time for it to bounce up the charts and make some decent money.

i don't think its that great of an album, but its not the shittest thing out there either.....it could do better.

Psycho Kileer should be released as a single, and that will pick it up....pitty that's not on the final album.....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2007, 06:51:16 PM »

can i remind you that Appetite only sold 200.000 after being out on the market for roughly as long as Libertad has.....and before some smartass starts comparing the two....i know they're nowhere near related....my point is that Libertad is still a new album, and even though they've made some mistakes with regards to promotion and singles choice, there is still time for it to bounce up the charts and make some decent money.

i don't think its that great of an album, but its not the shittest thing out there either.....it could do better.

Psycho Kileer should be released as a single, and that will pick it up....pitty that's not on the final album.....

It's a good record, but the problem is that there aren't any home run singles like Appetite had.  Appetite's problem was getting proper exposure, like MTV.  Once they got that, it exploded.  Libertad had that, or as much of that as it will get, from the beginning.

Ali
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »

Okay, I'll bite and be that smartass  hihi

AFD sold slowly out of the gates because people didn't even know who GnR were.  People knew who VR were and knew they had an album out and didn't care.  It's a comparison that pits ignorance to apathy, very different entities.  It seems you are clutching at straws if you think releasing a cover song that isn't even on the album is going to boost sales in any noticeable way.  I seriously doubt that Libertad will even see a third single released to radio and even if it does, it's not going to have any significant impact on sales
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »

I think that the people that stated the there is less of a novelty with the second album coming out are half right.  You have to realize that these days, the music industry is much different than it was 20, 10 even 5 years ago.  Let me explain why....

Internet downloading is becoming more and more popular and of course that hurts album sales.  Another huge factor is the fans nowadays only buy what they hear on the radio or watch on MTV.  If I remember correctly, VR's debut album was heavily promoted on MTV and VH1 and unless I'm mistaken, I think there was somekind of show (1 episode) that more or less introduced the next "supergroup".  They were the newest and hottest thing so even if you didn't like there music, your buddy and everyone else in the class had the album so you had to go out and get it too.  They are no longer that hot novelty so sales are based strictly on the quality of music and the desire of their fans to support the band.

The third and just as important factor would be all the die hard Guns N' Roses fans that bought the debut album in hopes of having owned the "next Appetite For Destruction".  Unfortunately for them, Contraband was a good album but a far cry from AFD...so you lose even more fans there.

The combination of the three plus a lesser quality of music = flop.

-KK
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »

I think that the people that stated the there is less of a novelty with the second album coming out are half right.? You have to realize that these days, the music industry is much different than it was 20, 10 even 5 years ago.? Let me explain why....

Internet downloading is becoming more and more popular and of course that hurts album sales.? Another huge factor is the fans nowadays only buy what they hear on the radio or watch on MTV.? If I remember correctly, VR's debut album was heavily promoted on MTV and VH1 and unless I'm mistaken, I think there was somekind of show (1 episode) that more or less introduced the next "supergroup".? They were the newest and hottest thing so even if you didn't like there music, your buddy and everyone else in the class had the album so you had to go out and get it too.? They are no longer that hot novelty so sales are based strictly on the quality of music and the desire of their fans to support the band.

The third and just as important factor would be all the die hard Guns N' Roses fans that bought the debut album in hopes of having owned the "next Appetite For Destruction".? Unfortunately for them, Contraband was a good album but a far cry from AFD...so you lose even more fans there.

Plus the fact that Axl and GNR were inactive back when Contraband was released.  2 years prior to that we thought Axl was back and here to stay, then he disappeared again.  At that point some of us (I) took what we could get, and that was 3 ex-members of GNR mixed with the lead singer of STP.  When Libertad came out Axl and GNR were active again, causing much less excitement for some (me) in terms of Velvet Revolver.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2007, 11:51:34 PM »

I think that the people that stated the there is less of a novelty with the second album coming out are half right.? You have to realize that these days, the music industry is much different than it was 20, 10 even 5 years ago.? Let me explain why....

Internet downloading is becoming more and more popular and of course that hurts album sales.? Another huge factor is the fans nowadays only buy what they hear on the radio or watch on MTV.? If I remember correctly, VR's debut album was heavily promoted on MTV and VH1 and unless I'm mistaken, I think there was somekind of show (1 episode) that more or less introduced the next "supergroup".? They were the newest and hottest thing so even if you didn't like there music, your buddy and everyone else in the class had the album so you had to go out and get it too.? They are no longer that hot novelty so sales are based strictly on the quality of music and the desire of their fans to support the band.

The third and just as important factor would be all the die hard Guns N' Roses fans that bought the debut album in hopes of having owned the "next Appetite For Destruction".? Unfortunately for them, Contraband was a good album but a far cry from AFD...so you lose even more fans there.

Plus the fact that Axl and GNR were inactive back when Contraband was released.? 2 years prior to that we thought Axl was back and here to stay, then he disappeared again.? At that point some of us (I) took what we could get, and that was 3 ex-members of GNR mixed with the lead singer of STP.? When Libertad came out Axl and GNR were active again, causing much less excitement for some (me) in terms of Velvet Revolver.

Yes!  You are a perfect example of what I am talking about. ok

-KK
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »

I personally believe it's all down to lack of promotion.  Especially in the UK/Europe, They seemed to follow the same pattern they used for Contraband.   By touring before the album came out then nothing since.   I think their management should have got them on alot more tv shows and radio shows...I don't think they showed up anywhere on uk tv this time around...i may be wrong. but i didn't see anything. 

There are shows such as Later with Jools Holland ..if u nail it on there, ppl remember it there's alot of respect to be earnt from going on there.  Jonathan Ross prob the biggest talk show on uk tv. Chris moyles on the radio (just for the huge audience figures). I haven't even seen any MTV specials or concerts of them.  I think they need to tap into all of that alot more. Not sell out. But look back at how many GNR gigs were recorded and broadcast over the world. And how many MTV specials there were. They didnt heavily promote on talk shows ect.  But they chose the right mediums that reached all over the world. 

But i'm sure all over Europe there are shows VR could have done that would have reached many people, and kept the interest of Contraband going a bit longer.

I find myself loving certain songs on Libertad more than ever now....there are a couple i skip but u get that with most albums.  I think and this is only a guess and my feeling.  But i think Slash and co are prob too aware of their audience' expectations. for example look at Robin Finck now to how he was on the first tour and remember the annoyance levels of some GNR fans on here.  The goth boy wasn't welcome....but the full bearded rocker fella is lol. And i think that same audience would be petrified if Weiland walked out in full dress and make up lol.   I think Weiland needs to let more of himself out on their next album and i think Slash and Duff ect need to be a lil more open to experimenting a lil.  Using their own roots a lil more too.   

GET TONI VISCONTI or  BRIAN ENO   To produce the next album!  Their track record speaks for itself. I think it would be a killer album.         

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
elmir
VIP

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2007, 02:11:42 PM »

AFD sold slowly out of the gates because people didn't even know who GnR were.  People knew who VR were and knew they had an album out and didn't care.  It's a comparison that pits ignorance to apathy, very different entities.  It seems you are clutching at straws if you think releasing a cover song that isn't even on the album is going to boost sales in any noticeable way.  I seriously doubt that Libertad will even see a third single released to radio and even if it does, it's not going to have any significant impact on sales

it wasn't an apples for apples comparison...because a study like that couldn't be done....as mentioned by many in this thread, VR's material is nowhere near strong enough....

My point with Psycho Killer is that it should have been included on the record, and if that was released as a single ( a first single), it would have kept the album afloat for longer, generated more sales....purely because of its catchy, easy to remember, poppy chorus line...which todays youth could relate to easier than "She Builds Quick Machines"....that's all i was trying to say...

i do agree with you that the album won't see a third single, i frankly have no idea as to which song they could even choose for that, perhaps they may do a radio release single only, but probably no mass rotation video for it...

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2007, 02:56:49 PM »

agreed a third single isn't going to pick up any momentum on this album.   but hopefully they release Let It Roll jus cuz its the best song on the album.
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »

Psycho Killer is a cover - you can't have the opening single from an album be a cover, that's lame!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2007, 08:26:58 PM »

Libertad is a better album than Contraband

Um, no it's not.

Contraband kicks Libertad's ass... hihi

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2007, 08:35:10 PM »

Um, no it's not.

Well, I think Libertad is better as well. Then again, I guess thats how opinions work, now isn't
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »

I prefer Libertad ... but I like both albums a lot.  I just like rock music.  I don't mind that it's not as good as Appetite.  I don't mind at all.  Appetite is untouchable.  The Illusions albums are too.  No one from the GnR 80's and 90's days will ever match those albums.

I don't mind.  Comparing to them is pointless ... I like bands who are no where NEAR as good as GnR was ... but that doesn't mean I don't like them Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2007, 08:48:24 PM »

Um, no it's not.

Well, I think Libertad is better as well. Then again, I guess thats how opinions work, now isn't

Opinion is one thing, but it was stated like it was fact.

I dunno, I support VR and all, but Libertad just sounds so uninspired on most of the tracks.
I've tried to listen to it see what people are hearing that makes it supposedly 'better' than Contraband, but it just bores me. Either that or the mix/guitar tones annoys me so much thar I don't want to listen to it.

Contraband rocks from start to finish, and even listening to it today 3 years after it was released, I still think it's a really solid rock album.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: