Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Soundgarden/Smashing Pumpkins opening for GNR in the early 90s
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soundgarden/Smashing Pumpkins opening for GNR in the early 90s  (Read 8105 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 07:38:40 PM »

a pumkins/GnR show would be fucking sweet!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:34 PM »

The Pumpkins were not well received at all when they opened for GNR in Oklahoma City in92, booed off the stage unmerciflly by a majority of fans that had zero clue what they were seeing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:41 PM »

I remember Faith No More opening for GnR in Slane 92. They kicked ass but Mike wasn't the friendliest to the crowd

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »

The Pumpkins were not well received at all when they opened for GNR in Oklahoma City in92, booed off the stage unmerciflly by a majority of fans that had zero clue what they were seeing.
yea but if they toured together now it would be different.    Pumkpins didn't really hit it big until 93 or 94 i think.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »

yea but if they toured together now it would be different.?

Doubt it would ever happen these days, the Pumpkins are a headline act and I doubt they'd commit themselves to a subordinate role.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 08:10:29 PM »

Doubt it would ever happen these days, the Pumpkins are a headline act and I doubt they'd commit themselves to a subordinate role.

100% agree.  They don't need the exposure of opening up for a band like GN'R anymore.

Ali
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »

I remember Faith No More opening for GnR in Slane 92. They kicked ass but Mike wasn't the friendliest to the crowd

ahah the same at vincennes, it was too funny. and soundgarden was great too.

and if you read that Vanessa, i still remember you  love

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 10:21:20 PM »

saw sg open in 92 in baton rouge, la...college town, so alternative was pretty popular at the time.  i wasn't impressed though!

anyone else here attend that show?

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 12:34:12 AM »

saw sg open in 92 in baton rouge, la...college town, so alternative was pretty popular at the time.? i wasn't impressed though!

Saw Soundgarden open on December 31, 1991.  Their show left a lot of people stunned in a seeming state of disbelief.  Minor chords, amplified noise, and the wail of Chris Cornell freaked the GNR crowd out.  They finished with "Jesus Christ Pose" and left the stage to the roar and hum of tons of feedback as they turned their instruments around on the amps and walked off. 

Then, I saw them at Lollapalooza the next summer and was blown away!  Funny what a different venue can do.

BTW, Guns owned that night!  Fireworks during PC to close the set and ring in the New Year.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
GeraldFord
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 12:35:49 AM »

I've heard from numerous people that Smashing Pumpkins concerts aren't very good at all.? They also just came through here in Portland last month and I heard they were bad again.? It's a shame because there music is good!

Just got back from a Pumpkins concert and they fucking rocked.
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »

I've heard from numerous people that Smashing Pumpkins concerts aren't very good at all.? They also just came through here in Portland last month and I heard they were bad again.? It's a shame because there music is good!

Just got back from a Pumpkins concert and they fucking rocked.

Saw them in Santa Cruz, CA over the summer and I couldn't agree more.  The new band jams.  Why didn't they put Gossamer on Zeitgeist?

marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 01:24:34 PM »

All this comes to show how great and extensive Axl's taste in music was/is.
He knew about Soundgarden/Janes Addiction/Smashing Pumpkins/Alice in Chains etc. before most of the rock n roll-buying public knew of them. He wanted Nirvana to tour with them but Kurt, asshole as usual, refused and then proceeded to publicly insult Axl (for no apparent reason other than he just didn't like his image).

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »

saw sg open in 92 in baton rouge, la...college town, so alternative was pretty popular at the time.? i wasn't impressed though!

Saw Soundgarden open on December 31, 1991.? Their show left a lot of people stunned in a seeming state of disbelief.? Minor chords, amplified noise, and the wail of Chris Cornell freaked the GNR crowd out.? They finished with "Jesus Christ Pose" and left the stage to the roar and hum of tons of feedback as they turned their instruments around on the amps and walked off.?

Then, I saw them at Lollapalooza the next summer and was blown away!? Funny what a different venue can do.

BTW, Guns owned that night!? Fireworks during PC to close the set and ring in the New Year.

I was at that show
(The Miami one, I mean)
Gn'R RULED all.

The band's sound was great
And the show was quite long, too...
I had a great time...

The Mickey Mouse suit
Axl wore to crack Slash up
Was hysterical.

Oh, and Soundgarden
Blew me away.  I loved 'em.
Made me a big fan.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »

I saw Soundgarden open two nights for GNR at the Target Center, Mpls Jan '92, the arena was mostly empty for them, people had heard about GNR's late starts by this time and were out drinking instead. I watched both SG sets though and thoroughly enjoyed them as I had Badmotorfinger already. Mainly people only responded both nights when they did Outshined.

Barney Fife
Opening Act

"Nip it! Nip it! Nip it!"

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

I seen Soundgarden open for GnR in Dayton, Ohio in 1992.  I had never really heard of Soundgarden and neither had most of the crowd.  I remember standing across from a concession stand and noticing how many people were out in the hall just walking around.  I remember looking back into the arena and noticing all of the empty seats and Cornell started yelling at the crowd because nobody was into the band.  They played two nights there.  The next night the microphone stand broke on Axl and he had to get a few stitches.

"There once was a deputy called Fife,
Who carried a gun and a knife.
The gun was all dusty,
And his knife was all rusty,
Because he never caught a crook in his life."
jaypayton
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »

Faith No More is my favorite band and i have over 20 audio bootlegs of them when they opened for GNR in 1992....The crowds in europe reacted very well to FNM...The whole story about how in Lisbon how people were throwing garbage on stage and Axl fell down and threatened to walk off was because earlier that night FNM had requested the crowd throw everything on stage...Mike Patton has stated the Sevilla show was the best show they ever played....Although at the Wembley show Mike requested the crowd to phone in a bomb threat during GNR's set and constantly told the audience they are stupid...so it was a mixed ba..The crowds in the USA werent exactly the best..At this point FNM was almost thrown off the tour for bashing GNR in the press and? Mike Patton would constantly bash the crowds in the middle of the show.....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:57:15 PM by jaypayton » Logged
Megaguns
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2007, 01:06:16 AM »

I say that any band that had or has the balls to open for gnr deserve a gold record, cmon people..... some of the gigs ive seen, if the opening bands are not well known, the floor is either empty or just people booing....... im sure gunners went thru it occasionally themselves back when they were opening for others.

sorry im drunk..... WOOO HOOO!!!!!  wednesday afternoon...... holidays rule.       bathroom renovations suck.....
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »

NIN got booed off the stage and sold 3 t-shirts, in germany I believe, after people realized they weren't Skid Row.  hihi

that's hilarious        hihi        rofl   
meanmachine73
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2007, 11:06:33 AM »

I liked NIN (well head like a hole) and thought they were good at Wembley. I saw them later in a small venue in Birmingham. They were fantastic live.

Keep em under your wheels.
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 02:30:06 AM »

Nice Cult avatar.?Going to see them next month in SF.

When The Cult was touring for Electric, GNR opened some shows after The Cult had opened for Billy Idol.? On Idol's next tour, Faith No More opened (and rocked) who then opened for GNR.? By the transitive property that must mean something....or not.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:33:28 AM by 123191 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: