Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Soundgarden/Smashing Pumpkins opening for GNR in the early 90s
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soundgarden/Smashing Pumpkins opening for GNR in the early 90s  (Read 8104 times)
GeraldFord
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:14:06 AM »

I was just wondering what the reception from the audience was like and if they were well-recieved. These seem to be the two major "alternative" bands that opened for GN'R in the early 90s.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:27:50 AM »

I was just wondering what the reception from the audience was like and if they were well-recieved. These seem to be the two major "alternative" bands that opened for GN'R in the early 90s.

I saw both of those bands as well as Blind Melon opening for GNR in the early 90s. The Pumpkins had a very strange reception from the crowd. Their actual show sucked, but the songs were good so people were kinda confused, lol. Soundgarden had to play twice at the Palace before GNR got around to coming out on stage and the crowd was ok the first time and terrible to them the second time.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
GeraldFord
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »

I saw both of those bands as well as Blind Melon opening for GNR in the early 90s. The Pumpkins had a very strange reception from the crowd. Their actual show sucked, but the songs were good so people were kinda confused, lol. Soundgarden had to play twice at the Palace before GNR got around to coming out on stage and the crowd was ok the first time and terrible to them the second time.

How were the SP songs good but the show bad? I heard D'arcy and James Iha had no charisma? Is that true?

And did Soundgarden play the same set list twice? I hope not!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »

I remember reading that SP was not well received at all on many of the dates.  But this was before most people had heard of them.  Plus you can imagine that a GNR crowd somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma isn't going to take to a nerdy band playing this spaced out fuzz rock.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »

How were the SP songs good but the show bad? I heard D'arcy and James Iha had no charisma? Is that true?

And did Soundgarden play the same set list twice? I hope not!

You kinda answered your own question. It's exactly what you said, the tunes were great but the band just kinda stood there so the crowd didn't get into it much.

From what I remember Soundgarden did play the exact same setlist. I think that's why most people didn't dig them the second time around.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »

One of the Soundgarden shows with GN'R was televised. I remeber watching it, I was about 17 and they made a big deal out of Soundgarden on the network prior to airing. I was just starting to get into Subpop at the time and just starting to question GN'R's talent. it was a weird time. Soundgarden were releasing the amazing, authentic music and GN'R were releasing So Fine and Shotgun Blues. I personally felt like Soundgarden "Outshined" GN'R at the time.

GeraldFord
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »

Nothing wrong with "So Fine." Plenty of authentic songs on UYI.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:53:31 AM »

I remember reading that SP was not well received at all on many of the dates.  But this was before most people had heard of them.  Plus you can imagine that a GNR crowd somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma isn't going to take to a nerdy band playing this spaced out fuzz rock.

what new band would get good crowd response for opening for GNR, I wonder.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »

One of the Soundgarden shows with GN'R was televised. I remeber watching it, I was about 17 and they made a big deal out of Soundgarden on the network prior to airing. I was just starting to get into Subpop at the time and just starting to question GN'R's talent. it was a weird time. Soundgarden were releasing the amazing, authentic music and GN'R were releasing So Fine and Shotgun Blues. I personally felt like Soundgarden "Outshined" GN'R at the time.

I don't see anything more authentic about Soundgarden than GN'R. ?They were a different band with a "newer" sound, but I don't see that translating to being more "authentic".

Ali
kollemann
Rocker

Chinese Democracy is now!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »

I was 1992/1993 in cologne.The opening bands were Soundgarden,Blind Mellon,Suicidal Tendencies and Faith no More.

http://www.myspace.com/kollemann = german GNR support

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100000610764106
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 01:19:08 PM »

I don't see anything more authentic about Soundgarden than GN'R. ?They were a different band with a "newer" sound, but I don't see that translating to being more "authentic".

Ali

It was how I felt "at the time". I understand now that there wasn't anything more "manufactured" than the Seattle scene at the time. I was the demographic, I was fooled.

My opinion of the Illusions stays the same though, they should have been 1 album, and not the one album version that is available.

Also, I've seen Billy Corgan live 3 times with three different acts, he was terrible every time. I love the Pumpkins, I love the new album as one dimensional as it may be, but as a live frontman... Billy's no Axl Rose.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 01:22:19 PM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »

Ali

It was how I felt "at the time". I understand now that there wasn't anything more "manufactured" than the Seattle scene at the time. I was the demographic, I was fooled.

My opinion of the Illusions stays the same though, they should have been 1 album, and not the one album version that is available.

Also, I've seen Billy Corgan live 3 times with three different acts, he was terrible every time. I love the Pumpkins, I love the new album as one dimensional as it may be, but as a live frontman... Billy's no Axl Rose.

Fair enough, but I wasn't implying the Seattle scene was manufactured at all.  Just not any more, or less, authentic than the "more traditional" blues-based, punk-influenced hard rock of UYI-era GN'R  ok

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 01:40:12 PM »

Ali

Fair enough, but I wasn't implying the Seattle scene was manufactured at all.? Just not any more, or less, authentic than the "more traditional" blues-based, punk-influenced hard rock of UYI-era GN'R? ok

Ali

Like Oh My Choking Soul said, it was a weird time.  There was a new sound coming from Seattle and from the indie labels and GNR were seen as being kind of yesterdays news.  Obviously Guns stood the test of time which is what's important anyways.   

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

I love Soundgarden, but that opening act they did in Paris was complete shit
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »

I saw SG open for GN'R at MSG. It was for Badmotor Finger. People weren't into it. I thought they were good but Skid Row was a better opener..
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »

I've heard from numerous people that Smashing Pumpkins concerts aren't very good at all.  They also just came through here in Portland last month and I heard they were bad again.  It's a shame because there music is good!

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »

NIN got booed off the stage and sold 3 t-shirts, in germany I believe, after people realized they weren't Skid Row.  hihi
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »

saw soundgarden open up the garden in 91 i liked them but i knew who they were. but the majority of the garden crowd hated them.
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »

I was at the Paris show in 92 and I think I knew about Soundgarden but had never actually heard their music. Back in those days I used to go to a lot of shows and the majority of opening bands sucked and one would not pay that much attention but to this day I remember watching Soundgarden for a bit (I arrived late) and there was something about them that made you stay and watch. I got into the whole Seattle thing later that year and I still bit my fingers knowing that I saw the Badmotorfinger tour but didn't really appreciate it. Since then, SG has been one of my favorite bands along GNR.

That day, Faith No More opened and I knew them well so was really into it.

I think most of the crowd didn't know SG and but some knew FNM.

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 07:31:47 PM »

I think back in 1992 most people who watched Headbanger's Ball knew of Faith No More.

They had just released Angel Dust and Midlife Crisis was getting played on MTV. At least in Europe.

Soundgarden had released Badmotorfinger in 1991 and were also becoming more popular at the time.

It's kinda funny how I listen to many of the bands who opened for GN'R but I didn't discover some of them until later.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: