Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Vernon Bellecourt Dies at age 75
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vernon Bellecourt Dies at age 75  (Read 4332 times)
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« on: October 15, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »

AIM Leader Vernon Bellecourt Dies at 75

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ? Vernon Bellecourt, who fought against the use of Indian nicknames for sports teams as a longtime leader of the American Indian Movement, has died at age 75.

Bellecourt died Saturday at Abbott Northwestern Hospital of complications from pneumonia, said his brother, Clyde Bellecourt, a founding member of the militant American Indian rights group.

Just before he was put on a respirator, Vernon Bellecourt joked that the CIA had finally gotten him, his brother said.

"He was willing to put his butt on the line to draw attention to racism in sports," his brother said.

Vernon Bellecourt ? whose Objibwe name WaBun-Inini means Man of Dawn ? was a member of Minnesota's White Earth band and was an international spokesman for the AIM Grand Governing Council based in Minneapolis.

Clyde Bellecourt helped found AIM as a militant group in 1968 and Vernon Bellecourt soon became involved, taking part in the 1973 occupation of the town of Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota. He was present only briefly during the 71-day standoff with federal agents, serving mostly as a spokesman and fundraiser, Clyde Bellecourt said.

He was active in the campaign to free AIM activist Leonard Peltier, who was convicted of killing two FBI agents during a shootout in 1975 on the Pine Ridge reservation.

He was also involved as a negotiator in AIM's 1972 occupation of the Bureau of Indian Affairs headquarters in Washington as part of the Trail of Broken Treaties caravan.

In recent years, Bellecourt had been active in the fight against American Indian nicknames for sports teams as president of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media.

He was arrested in Cleveland during the 1997 World Series and again in 1998 during protests against the Cleveland Indians' mascot, Chief Wahoo. Charges were dropped the first time and he was never charged in the second case.

After Wounded Knee, Vernon Bellecourt became a leader of AIM's work abroad, meeting with presidents such as Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, his brother said. He said they plan to list them as honorary pallbearers.

Clyde Bellecourt said his brother had been in Venezuela about four weeks ago to meet with President Hugo Chavez to discuss Chavez' program for providing heating assistance to American Indian tribes. He fell ill around the time of his return, Clyde Bellecourt said.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:31:45 AM »

The Life of Vernon Bellecourt

Oct. 17, 1931: Born on Minnesota's White Earth Indian Reservation.

1930s-40s: Attends St. Benedict's parochial school, White Earth.

1947: At age 16, moves to Minneapolis with family.

Late 1940s-early '50s: Serves time in St. Cloud prison for St. Paul bar robbery. In prison, learns barbering skills. Later opens hair salons in Twin Cities.

1960s: Moves to Colorado with family, where he works as a barber and becomes increasingly politically conscious.

1968: American Indian Movement (AIM) founded by his brother, Clyde Bellecourt, and others. Vernon soon becomes active in it.

November 1972: Acts as negotiator after AIM occupies Bureau of Indian Affairs headquarters in Washington, D.C., as part of the Trail of Broken Tears caravan.

1973: Serves as spokesman and fundraiser during AIM occupation of town of Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota.

1975: Two FBI agents killed during shootout at Pine Ridge. Bellecourt subsequently becomes active in campaign to free AIM activist Leonard Peltier, convicted in the shootout.

1976: Defeated by Darrell (Chip) Wadena in race to become chairman of the 22,000-member White Earth Band of Chippewa.

1979: Conviction for bar robbery during his teen years is expunged from his record.

1989: Travels to Libya and meets with Moammar Gadhafi.

1991: Meets with Yasser Arafat to talk about similarities they see between American Indian and Palestinian situations.

1997: Arrested in Cleveland during World Series protests of the Cleveland Indians' mascot, Chief Wahoo. Charges dropped. Also, demonstrates on the property of Alliant Techsystems in Hopkins in protest against production of land mines.

1998: Arrested again in Indian nickname protest. Never charged.

August 2007: Travels to Venezuela to meet with President Hugo Chavez.

Oct. 13, 2007: Dies of pneumonia at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis at age 75.

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »

A lifetime of Protest

Vernon Bellecourt, calling for a "bloodbath before every Federal building in America" poured a jar of his own blood on an American flag, himself, and the doors of the Federal Building in downtown Minneapolis during a protest against U.S. military intervention in Panama in 1989.

As a youngster, Vernon Bellecourt heard stories of how the people of his northern Minnesota White Earth reservation lost their land to unscrupulous whites at the turn of the 20th century and suffered profound poverty as a result. His life would be different, he decided.

And it was for a while. He opened a chain of successful hair salons in St. Paul, then moved to Denver to sell real estate. "I was going to become a millionaire," he told the Star Tribune in 1999.

But his younger brother, Clyde, who stayed in Minnesota and became an activist, changed that. "I'm trying to win back the land," Clyde told Vernon, "and you're selling it."

Vernon Bellecourt soon came home for good.

The self-proclaimed "freedom fighter" and longtime leader of the American Indian Movement (AIM) died Saturday at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis of complications from pneumonia, said Clyde Bellecourt. He was 75.

Vernon Bellecourt once said that the American Indian Movement, an often controversial group that led a series of high-profile, sometimes violent protests in the 1970s, was "respected by many, hated by some, but ... never ignored." The same might have been said for him. He spent most of his life protesting, often drawing criticism for the form it took, sometimes from within the Indian protest movement itself.

"He was very articulate in expressing the view that American Indians have not been adequately recognized and remembered in history, or adequately dealt with as political entities in these United States," said Laura Waterman Wittstock, who met Bellecourt in 1970 when she was a reporter with the American Indian Press Association and he was representing AIM.

Takes cause abroad

While Clyde focused on the home front, Vernon became a leader of AIM's work abroad, meeting with controversial leaders such as Nicaragua's Daniel Ortega, Libya's Moammar Gadhafi and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. As recently as four weeks ago, he was in Venezuela to talk with President Hugo Chavez about his program for providing heating assistance to American Indian tribes.

Most pressing in recent years was his fight against the use of Indian mascots and symbols for sports teams, such as the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians. He was arrested before Game 5 of the 1997 World Series for burning Cleveland's red-faced logo outside Jacobs Field, and he protested in Atlanta at Braves playoff games throughout the 1990s.

"Because of Vernon and other activists, fewer students in this country will have to tolerate this problem when they go to school," said Brenda Child, associate professor of American Indian studies at the University of Minnesota.

"I don't think a lot of people in the Indian community thought there would be this kind of success in the mascot campaign," said Robert Warrior, author of "Like a Hurricane: American Indian Activism From Alcatraz to Wounded Knee" and an English professor at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.

While AIM succeeded in raising Americans' consciousness of Indian issues, it also participated in a number of events that featured violence and internal dissension.

"When you look at AIM actions ... mistakes were made and there are numerous criticisms [of their actions] and many of them are fair," Warrior said. "But what you see Vernon and the other AIM leaders doing was work that other native organizations were not doing. ... They were reaching out and trying to respond to the needs of people whose needs were not being met."

Bellecourt grew up on the White Earth reservation. "Although we all lived in poverty, we lived a better life than most people," he told the Star Tribune in 1999.

He was a disciplined student who learned his prayers from the Catholic nuns of St. Benedict's parochial school in White Earth. But the lessons in life he learned were not always pleasant.

"To this day, I can't stand the smell of Lifebuoy soap, because a racist teacher shoved a whole bar of it in my mouth," he recalled.

In Minneapolis, where the family moved when he was 16, Bellecourt quit school. After a series of odd jobs, he was convicted of robbing a bar in St. Paul and sentenced to St. Cloud prison when he was 19.

Opens beauty salon

There, he learned how to be a barber. When he was released, he went to beauty school to become a hairdresser. He opened Mr. Vernon beauty salons in Highland Park and on the East Side of St. Paul. Married and already the father of three children, he built a house in White Bear Lake. "I thought I had really made it."

In the mid-1960s, Vernon sold his salons and moved his family to Colorado, where he styled hair part time and skied on his days off. He moved to Denver to sell real estate before returning to Minneapolis.

Around that time, Clyde responded to Indian reports of police brutality by joining Dennis Banks, Harold Good Sky and George Mitchell to form AIM in a storefront office on E. Franklin Avenue.

Vernon's journey down "the Red Road" of Indian spiritual awareness led him to an array of causes and confrontations. In 1972, he was an AIM spokesman when 400 Indians occupied the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs headquarters in Washington. In 1973, as AIM's national director, he addressed the United Nations in New York, pleading for protection of Indian rights.

In January 1973, Bellecourt was one of several AIM members indicted after a riot at the courthouse in Custer, S.D. Charges were dropped.

Later that winter, AIM members occupied the historic hamlet of Wounded Knee, S.D., for 71 days. Bellecourt got the news of the occupation from a TV broadcast while visiting Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. He continued his lecture tour, reasoning that he could serve the protest occupation better by drumming up support from off the reservation.

In the years that followed, AIM was plagued by disputes among leaders with ideological differences, including the Bellecourts, Russell Means and Dennis Banks. The disputes did not, however, dim Bellecourt's passion for activism on behalf of his people.

"When the American Indian Movement resurfaced in Minneapolis in 1968, a wildfire spread throughout other urban and reservation areas," he said in 1999. "It was a catalyst for people to understand that the roots of our tree of life had almost withered and died.

"Now, I'm very concerned about the cycles of alcohol and chemical dependency that, in many cases, we ourselves have perpetuated to our youth. What we pass on to the children will determine very critically to our future.

"We've got to stop killing ourselves, and we've got to speak out against others, those who take advantage of us."

Gerald Vizenor, who taught Native American Studies at the University of Minnesota in the late 1970s and early 1980s, said Bellecourt "worked very hard to become a knowledgeable and sensitive leader for native people." Vizenor, now professor of American Studies at the University of New Mexico, recalled Bellecourt's recent attempts to appreciate contemporary American Indian art, by attending openings and "trying to talk to artists about what they were thinking. I was quite moved by that."

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:01:34 AM »

I'm glad you posted this. I didn't think anyone here would know who he was, or what he did. Truly, a great american. RIP

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:27:37 AM »

Looks like the sports teams win haha

Go Indians!!

Seriously tho, RIP dude for fighting for what you believe  ok
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:29:19 AM by Loaded NightraiN » Logged
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:19 AM »

I'm glad you posted this. I didn't think anyone here would know who he was, or what he did. Truly, a great american. RIP

I'm quarter White Earth Ojiwbe. Smiley

Bellecourt is the last great american protester. Too bad Leonard isn't able to be at his wake tonight, I am trying to go.

RIP Vernon - may the eagles spirit guide you.

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »

Too bad Leonard isn't able to be at his wake tonight

I hear you man. Peltier is just one example of the hypocricy of the American judicial system. FREE ALL PRISONERS OF CONSCIENCE ... everywhere.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:23:45 AM »

Too bad Leonard isn't able to be at his wake tonight

I hear you man. Peltier is just one example of the hypocricy of the American judicial system. FREE ALL PRISONERS OF CONSCIENCE ... everywhere.

Exactly. There is over 90,000 pieces of paper being witheld that has to do with Peltier and the whole case. The Minneapolis FBI office has abouit 75,000 pieces while the rest is at various FBI offices throughout the US.

As the running joke within my family, AIM stands for more then American Indian Movement, it also stands for Assholes in Moccasins.

Mr. Bellecourt wasn't afraid to stand for what he believed in. You don't see Al Sharpton taking stand for what he believes in, there will never be another protester like Vernon. You'd never hear of anyone else dumping their own blood on an american flag, and himself to make a stand.

I just still can't believe this. It's a shock - I hope the best for Clyde and the rest of the family. Vernon lived a great life.

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »

A good read about Kent State;
http://www.may41970.com/May%204,%202000/30th%20Commemoration%20Report/Speeches/VernonBellecourt.htm

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 12:00:07 AM »

I actually just found out that I am related to Vernon.

My Dad's brothers wife is Vernon's daughters husbands sister.

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 09:03:29 PM »

This country has lost a true patriot.

It recently came out that the Guardsmen were ordered to fire. I think if enough research were done on this shameful episode in our history, it would go all the way to the top; at the very least, that pig Rhoades has blood on his hands.

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 11:06:36 PM »

This country has lost a true patriot.

It recently came out that the Guardsmen were ordered to fire. I think if enough research were done on this shameful episode in our history, it would go all the way to the top; at the very least, that pig Rhoades has blood on his hands.

Yeah, I agree with ya on that.

Here is Vernon's obituary written by his Daughter Denise;

Vernon Bellecourt, Waubun-nu-wi-nini, Day Break Man, 75

Funeral services were held for Vernon Bellecourt, age 75, Minneapolis.  He died October 13, 2007 at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis.

Vernon Franklin Bellecourt was born in Mahnomen, Minnesota on October 17, 1931.  He was one of twelve children born to Charles and Angeline (Charette) Bellecourt. He attended school at St. Benedict?s Mission School until 8th grade. He was united in marriage to Carol Ann Holmgren in St. Paul, Minnesota on November 29th, 1958. Vernon and Carol lived in the Twin Cities area until 1964.  During that time, they owned two hair styling salons called Mr. Vernon?s.  In 1964 they moved to Denver, Colorado with their three children. Vernon worked as a hairstylist in Denver and then as a real estate agent. In 1970, Vernon became involved in the American Indian Movement.  His work with the American Indian Movement made him the recognized voice of the movement and an icon in American Indian history.  He continued to fight injustice and advocate for equal rights until the time of his death.

Surviving Vernon is his wife and mother of three of his children, Carol Ann (Holmgren) Bellecourt of Detroit Lakes, MN; Lyna Hart of Winnepeg, mother of two of his children, Manitoba, Canada; Janice Denny, special companion, of Minneapolis, MN. Two daughters: Denise (Michael) Levy of White Earth, MN; Raven Bellecourt of Winnepeg, Manitoba. Three sons: Andre Marcus (Christina) Bellecourt of Denver, Colorado; Bret Bellecourt of White Earth, MN; Blackwolf Bellecourt of Winnepeg, Manitoba. Ten grandchildren: John (Yulia Lehman) Clark of White Earth, MN; Adrianne Levy of White Earth, MN; Darrick Bellecourt ofWhite Earth, MN; Blaze Dauphinais of Detroit Lakes, MN; Freedom; Katelyn; Skyla; Savannah; Madison; and Brooklyn of Winnepeg. Two great-grandsons: Johnathan Clark of Waubun, MN; and Michael J. Levy of White Earth, MN; brother, Clyde Bellecourt, Minneapolis, MN; and sister, Judy Bellecourt-Gonzalez of Waubun, MN. Vernon was preceded in death by his parents: Charles and Angeline. Brothers: Charles Jr.; Leslie; and Leonard. Sisters: Maxine; Avanelle; Gwen; Yvonne; Carol; and Sandra.

Traditional Midewiwin ceremonies were held in Minneapolis, Minnesota at All Nations Church and at the Circle of Life School in White Earth, Minnesota. Burial was on Vernon?s 75th birthday, October 17th, 2007 at the Bellecourt-Gonzales Family cemetery located at the Judy Gonzalez home on Snyder Lake. Presiding over the ceremonies was Bawd Wey Wi Dun (Eddie Benton Benais). Pallbearers in Minneapolis were: Bill Means; Bob Brown; Little Crow Bellecourt; Rick Powers; Herb Powless; Lenny Foster.  Pallbearers in White Earth were: Michael Levy; Jamie Gonzalez, John Gonzalez, Blackwolf Bellecourt, John Clark; and Wolf Bellecourt.  Honorary Pallbearers were Andre Marcus Bellecourt; Bret Bellecourt; Steve Blake; Jim Anderson; Dennis Banks; Floyd Red Crow Westerman; and Vince Beyl; all Vernon?s friends and relatives; all American Indian Movement Brothers; Sisters; and Supporters. Arrangements entrusted to Thomson-Dougherty Funeral Home of Minneapolis.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: